shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this sound like a reasonable price to have a new setting made?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarlettk

Rough_Rock
I went to my local jeweler to have my Moms sapphire she gave me reset. It was on a yellow gold ring with 8 small diamonds. He told me he could put it onto a white gold setting and reset the diamonds in the band 4 on each side of the sapphire. I was happy with that and he said it would be right around $400. Minus $30 for the gold from the old ring. That seems a bit much to me since he is not adding diamonds? Is that a normal price for just the new white gold setting and the work of putting the stones in? tia

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
The quality of the white gold will probably have some effect on the cost, but my boyfriend just paid about $400 to set three stones into a 14 kt white gold setting. I think the setting alone was around $250, and then the rest was for the labor of setting the stones. That was just with loose stones, too--not dismantling another ring. So I guess your quote sounds pretty reasonable to me!

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 11:09:19 AM
Author:scarlettk
I went to my local jeweler to have my Moms sapphire she gave me reset. It was on a yellow gold ring with 8 small diamonds. He told me he could put it onto a white gold setting and reset the diamonds in the band 4 on each side of the sapphire. I was happy with that and he said it would be right around $400. Minus $30 for the gold from the old ring. That seems a bit much to me since he is not adding diamonds? Is that a normal price for just the new white gold setting and the work of putting the stones in? tia

Have you seen other work that he has done??? Do you like it? If so, then $370 is not too bad. It is not the cheapest, but usually you get what you pay for in custom work!!!

Just my 2 cents
MWG

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, you get what you pay for, right? In this case, is he buying the setting already pre-made and just setting the stones, or is he making a cast and creating the ring from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results