shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this sapphire have an acceptable window?

Thank you! I agree @AnastasiaBeaverhausen I just feel the guilt because first I told him no..Then I asked for a video outside which he did. Then I told him yes. I asked him so many questions he didn’t think I wanted it so he sent it back. Then I asked him if he was setting it. He said no he sent it back again. I sent him a sad face so he got it back. How would I tell him I don’t like it without sounding like a crazy person....If I see a window that bothers me I will put a piece of aluminum foil behind it to mimic the plate @Dee*Jay suggested to see if it would make a difference.

I totally hear you on the guilt thing! But I've kept quite a pieces myself that I probably should have returned instead. So nowadays, even though I still feel guilty about returns, I remind myself that I will feel soooo much better afterwards once I find the "right" stone for me.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
@rcjtraveler I can’t wait to see your pendant and bracelet! Your bracelet will look like your band, right? I love that band!
He’s also redoing an anniversary
band I had made by someone else
that I never wore. It was a bar set baguette and round diamond band. I never liked the bars..He’s going to make the diamonds all prong set.

I bet your new band will be gorgeous. This is a second bracelet from DH for our 40th. It will have diamond flowers and bezeled diamonds. My other bracelet that matches my band is done and I love it. This new one is being made to stack with it. You have all inspired me. I am now out of control!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet your new band will be gorgeous. This is a second bracelet from DH for our 40th. It will have diamond flowers and bezeled diamonds. My other bracelet that matches my band is done and I love it. This new one is being made to stack with it. You have all inspired me. I am now out of control!

I can’t wait to see it! It’s definitely a slippery slope here! Haha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s here! It definitely has a window. The reason why the center is purple is because my skin is pink and the sapphire is blue..That makes the window appear purple. My eye goes right to the center. It looks like a dark purple spot dead center. The color and sparkle are amazing, I love this setting...I don’t know that I will have many opportunities to have another stone fit as well as this one. As usual David did an amazing job setting it...The color and sparkle are so pretty...I know I can only make the decision but I would love some honest ones...I won’t take offense for honest opinions....really...I’m starting to love it though....I may love her windowed and all....
7A1EE086-5CBD-4071-AC7D-900176E77553.jpeg

Attachments

• 7FD58A9A-7711-465C-BF6B-E2D19A01D8E7.jpeg
    7FD58A9A-7711-465C-BF6B-E2D19A01D8E7.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 1D1FDAC7-66A3-4745-B19F-A0DC3EE6E46E.jpeg
    1D1FDAC7-66A3-4745-B19F-A0DC3EE6E46E.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 21
  • E19677AF-AE6B-436A-8DEC-1D87CCF75774.jpeg
    E19677AF-AE6B-436A-8DEC-1D87CCF75774.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Take a small piece of aluminum foil, put the shiny side up against the bottom of the ring/stone like a pretend cover. Does the window become better? My guess is that it will help to some extent, but if you know the window is there you will still see it.

Some people are not bothered by windows and some are - so are you bothered by it?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh @MamaBee but I love the color. I do see the window and second @icy_jade recommendation to try to back it.
I wonder, since you see it already, if it won’t bother you in the long run. But honestly, the color and fit is fab and who’s looking that close with your ering on the other hand?! :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade i did as you said. I looked ridiculous walking around with the aluminum foil..haha It did make a difference..The only problem is the setting. I don’t know how he would add a plate without it being noticeable and closing in the light. It sparkles now.. When I put aluminum foil underneath I felt like it sparkles a bit less. The color also wasn’t as pretty..It’s a trade off I guess. In some light it’s hardly noticeable. I took it outside with the aluminum foil. It definitely made a difference outdoors. I’ll email David and ask him if he can add a plate or something. If not I may still keep it..I’m still thinking..lol

@Slick1 The color is pretty..I would wear it on my left hand with the band I purchased for it when Bee was set in it. I wouldn’t wear a haloed colored stone on my right hand. I’m surprised that I’m starting to love it windowed and all. I went over to the thread with windowed beauties. Some people are more tolerant. This window is much smaller than a lot of those..I thought those stones were pretty windows and all. The color and sparkle seem to be more important..and this sapphire has that.

Attachments

• BE1934CE-E36A-48C8-85A5-E82201541E14.jpeg
    BE1934CE-E36A-48C8-85A5-E82201541E14.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 15
  • A21E0654-D3D2-40ED-B1B1-E354EB7E9AA8.jpeg
    A21E0654-D3D2-40ED-B1B1-E354EB7E9AA8.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 15
  • C0873675-D09A-49D3-89B5-2030FCABF016.jpeg
    C0873675-D09A-49D3-89B5-2030FCABF016.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous color! Looks lovely but you have to be happy with it. Interested to see what you decide. Best of luck with your decision. I would be tempted to enjoy the color and sparkle if the window can’t be easily fixed or if fixing alters the color and sparkle you say you enjoy.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous color! Looks lovely but you have to be happy with it. Interested to see what you decide. Best of luck with your decision. I would be tempted to enjoy the color and sparkle if the window can’t be easily fixed or if fixing alters the color and sparkle you say you enjoy.

Thank you @rcjtraveler I’ve been trying out the aluminum foil in different lighting. If I hold it up without it being on my finger I can see the light through it. I put the aluminum foil in and it made a big difference. I emailed David to see if he could do anything with the setting the way it is.
Is $2350 a good price considering it has a window? I know nothing about pricing on gemstones.
Thanks!

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @rcjtraveler I’ve been trying out the aluminum foil in different lighting. If I hold it up without it being on my finger I can see the light through it. I put the aluminum foil in and it made a big difference. I emailed David to see if he could do anything with the setting the way it is.
Is $2350 a good price considering it has a window? I know nothing about pricing on gemstones.
Thanks!

Not an expert on the pricing but that seems good. I paid quite a bit more for mine. I think David’s prices are really reasonable. I bet he will figure something out. The ring looks beautiful on you. I know you said you liked the lighter colors but this one really pops and looks wonderful in your setting.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not an expert on the pricing but that seems good. I paid quite a bit more for mine. I think David’s prices are really reasonable. I bet he will figure something out. The ring looks beautiful on you. I know you said you liked the lighter colors but this one really pops and looks wonderful in your setting.

Thank you..Yours was probably better quality @rcjtraveler..I would love to see a photo.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a beautiful sapphire @rcjtraveler! The color is gorgeous! I also love the halo!

Thanks so much. It was my first time purchasing a colored gemstone and online. I saw Finewater Gems recommended here and took a chance. Lighter color before setting and love how it came out.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if this is a keeper ring for you, and the window will not make you reach for it less - I think it makes sense to keep it and have a clear mind about it.
However
If you think there’s a chance you’ll end up looking to sell/rehome it - due to it not getting wear or whatever - I would think about letting it go back to DK.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The only problem is the setting. I don’t know how he would add a plate without it being noticeable and closing in the light. It sparkles now.. When I put aluminum foil underneath I felt like it sparkles a bit less. The color also wasn’t as pretty..

Ok in theory the part where the plate is will sit at your finger so it doesn’t really let the light in anyway you know what I mean? It may look different unworn when you can hold the ring against the light but that’s not how you will see the ring anyway.

If your sapphire is the sparkly type, the windowed part will sparkle less anyway, but nothing to do with the plate/backing but the cutting. That’s my experience for windowed stones. So you have to decide if that’s acceptable to you.

From what I understand, the stone will have to be removed to add the plate, and then put back. So typically when I have windowed stones to set, I’ll do the foil test before setting the stone.

The foil can be a lot smaller, just the size of the ring, can use tape so that it’s not so obvious. I should have mentioned a coin sized foil. In reality the plate is really tiny anyway depending on what the back of the ring looks like, like quarter inch or so? When I do mock ups, I try to make the foil unobstrusive.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok in theory the part where the plate is will sit at your finger so it doesn’t really let the light in anyway you know what I mean? It may look different unworn when you can hold the ring against the light but that’s not how you will see the ring anyway.

If your sapphire is the sparkly type, the windowed part will sparkle less anyway, but nothing to do with the plate/backing but the cutting. That’s my experience for windowed stones. So you have to decide if that’s acceptable to you.

From what I understand, the stone will have to be removed to add the plate, and then put back. So typically when I have windowed stones to set, I’ll do the foil test before setting the stone.

The foil can be a lot smaller, just the size of the ring, can use tape so that it’s not so obvious. I should have mentioned a coin sized foil. In reality the plate is really tiny anyway depending on what the back of the ring looks like, like quarter inch or so? When I do mock ups, I try to make the foil unobstrusive.

Thank you @icy_jade.. I think I used a whole roll of aluminum foil trying it out. The window is more noticeable at night off the finger. I held it up to the light in the kitchen..The window is small but it looked like clear glass in the center. On the finger the center just looks purple because of my pink skin. I just love this setting....otherwise I would probably pass. I’m still trying to decide because it is sparkly and the color is very pretty.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
if this is a keeper ring for you, and the window will not make you reach for it less - I think it makes sense to keep it and have a clear mind about it.
However
If you think there’s a chance you’ll end up looking to sell/rehome it - due to it not getting wear or whatever - I would think about letting it go back to DK.

Thank you @Rfisher. I won’t sell the ring..I really love this setting. I love the sparkle and the color of the sapphire. I love the price...I don’t love the window but it doesn’t make me crazy. I wish it wasn’t there but I’m pretty sure I could enjoy it even with the flaw. I don’t want David to take the sapphire out of the setting and destroy the bezel again.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I think it’s beautiful! Now it also has a fun window/foil story too :D

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it’s beautiful and I’m glad you’re keeping it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it’s beautiful and I’m glad you’re keeping it!

Thank you @caf..I just had to work it out in my mind. I’m glad I’m keeping it too!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
*Update.. I paid David already so it’s mine. He emailed me this morning to say he can put a cup under it..He would have to remove the sapphire and fix the bezel but it was easy for him to do. I decided to do it so I’ll be mailing it off again. OMG Feel free to not tune in because this is craziness..I know..:lol:

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
*Update.. I paid David already so it’s mine. He emailed me this morning to say he can put a cup under it..He would have to remove the sapphire and fix the bezel but it was easy for him to do. I decided to do it so I’ll be mailing it off again. OMG Feel free to not tune in because this is craziness..I know..:lol:

That is great news. I can’t wait to see how it turns out. I am sure it will be beautiful and hopefully closes the window to your liking.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is great news. I can’t wait to see how it turns out. I am sure it will be beautiful and hopefully closes the window to your liking.

Thanks @rcjtraveler! I would have been okay with keeping it the way it is...but he offered..I couldn’t pass up his offer to make it less noticeable..He made it sound like it was really easy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results