shape
carat
color
clarity

Does this look "not small"?

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
My engagement ring had an 85pt stone and I've always hoped for something larger. In the 10 years I've been married this feeling of wanting a larger stone has not gone away, so my husband offered an upgrade for our anniversary.

I felt sentimental about the setting and the jeweler had to rebuild the prongs & was only comfortable going up to about 1.25. I ended up with 1.29 & really love the stone (warmer in color but better clarity and much better cut than before). Sadly though, I'm not sure if this has the presence I was hoping for. Maybe it is the fact that my setting is pretty wide but sometimes the stone doesn't look that much bigger to me than before despite gaining 1mm.

Shrinkage set in so quickly it's crazy! I feel like I had one chance at an upgrade (would probably hurt DH to say that I still want more) and may not have made the right choice. So my question is, while I know this is not large by PS standards, do you think this diamond seems "not small"? Maybe setting it on a thin band or with a halo would help?

20160525_213544.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It does not look small. Putting it in a halo with a thin shank would be lovely if you want to maximize the appearance of diameter. It looks beautiful as it is, though, too

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh no, it does not look too small.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
It does not look small. It looks lovely. But if you're left with the feeling of wanting bigger, then a setting change can definitely help give the illusion of a bigger stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind that you will be getting responses from diamond lovers, many of whom have upgraded, too! ;))

First, a 1.29 ct diamond is not small. I think that is a nice upgrade from .85 and certainly larger than average in most places (unless you live in NYC or Beverly Hills, etc). The stone looks nicely cut, too! Your current set is very pretty and I see why you wanted to keep it. Most settings do have a maximum size stone you can upgrade to, so you have to stick with what you have, or decide if you want new rings, eventually.

But, yes, diamonds look larger with thin shanks (2mm) and even larger with a halo. We call the shrinkage problem DSS (Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome) around here! Many people get it, and if you stay on this forum, it likely will get worse because many people here have upgraded multiple times and some have very large diamonds!

One solution is to keep what you have, and maybe in another 10 years, just get a second set with a larger diamond if it would bother you to give up your original set. Or, you can change to new rings with a halo and have a larger appearance sooner.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it doesn't look small - in fact it looks very appropriately sized for your finger! So often we have preconceived notions of what something is going to look like and yet the reality finds us with something different. Different doesn't mean bad though. Upgrades are usually (not always but usually) done slowly over time as diamonds are a costly commodity!

I started with a .78 diamond which I wore for ten years before the upgrade bug bit. For the first upgrade, I only went to a one carat stone so you're ahead already! Enjoy the ring and the sentiment and love that went into the upgrade. There are more upgrades to be had down the road if that's what you really want. Your setting and band are just lovely - I think you made a good choice to keep the rings but to upgrade the stone. Your rings are really beautiful!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size finger do you have? It looks great on you, I think it's probably easy to get diamond shrinkage syndrome from looking at the rings here, but even though there are lots of large diamonds on PS, a carat or just over is a normal to large size out in the real world.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks amazing on you! The setting is lovely! The size seems perfect. However, it seems you have something else in your mind's eye - so you'll have to decide.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!!

My ring size is 5. It's nice to hear that it looks like a good size for my finger. I think that after dreaming about it for so long, the real thing is having to compete with the ideas that have been in my head. It's doesn't help that it's been warm since I got it and my fingers are swollen. Not to mention that no one has noticed it! Poor me, but I was hoping someone might since I'm constantly checking out others jewelry.

Years ago I used to lurk on PS all the time, but have recently just come back. It's so fun to look at all the beautiful pieces, but so bad in some ways too! I'm glad to get the perspectives of PS users through because I can't talk about it much with people on this side of the computer.

I love the idea of slowly upgrading over time. I'll have to keep that in mind and maybe there will be more projects in my future.

I've posted another picture where you can see the color more and some of the fire. The stone is a K and I can't believe how white it looks to me most of the time and how much I don't mind the tint even when I do notice it!

20160528_0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have long fingers and your rings are a nice width. If you went with thin shanks, you'd probably have to wear two bands beneath your e-ring. Of course, that is not a problem to do ;)) , but I actually really like your current rings!

Oh, and most people would never notice an increase in diamond size. Trust me, I originally upgraded to 1.6 and family members probably were shown that one. But a few years later I upgraded to 2.3 cts, and honestly, not one person noticed because they don't see me often and don't realize the difference in the size! So unless you totally change the style of your rings or drastically increase the size, most people won't notice unless it's one of us! :lol:

Here is a diamond size comparison pic from back when I upgraded from my original 1 ct stone. It might help you know what size you'd need for the next upgrade. ;))

_37386.jpg

susief

Shiny_Rock
Definitely not small! It looks big and gorgeous.

However, if you want to maximise the size, IMO a thin solitaire setting is the way to go (as others have said) - BUT the thickness of the wedding band also makes a big difference. I had my original 3mm plain band thinned down to 2mm and was shocked at how much bigger a diamond looked next to it. If I pair my solitaire with a thin twist band it looks even bigger yet. You could try experimenting with a few cheap silver bands to see the difference it makes.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
it is lovely. I def think a thick wedding band does make a diamond appear visually smaller sometimes. play around with others in a store perhaps?

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Diamondseeker2006 - thanks for posting those. The 1.6 looks a lot bigger than the 1.3!

Playing around with the size of the wedding band is a great idea. That's a perfect place to start & now I have a thin silver band on order for fun!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just chiming to say that your ring and diamond are gorgeous!! I really, really love your setting too! It's true that if it was a thin setting it would make your diamond look bigger, but I think your diamond looks substantial and not small at all. If you love the diamond, just enjoy it and take comfort in the idea that there will be future projects ahead for you ::) .

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it looks too small at all. It is beautiful and looks great on your hand. As others have said if you move to a thinner band the diamond will appear larger but that is up to you.

I think it's a great upgrade and you'll love it no matter what setting it is in. :wavey:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the diamond size is perfect and I love your existing setting. Both the diamond and the setting are very proportional to your finger size. You have long fingers so you could wear extra bands if you feel the need to fill up the space but personally I think your rings look perfect as is. :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it does look a little small, because of that setting probably. A 1.29 ct on a size 5 should look huge, but to me it doesn't. Have you considered a 6 prong solitaire? I think it would look much bigger in a classic Tiffany style 6 prong. It looks like a beautiful diamond, congrats!

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I have considered a solitaire, but I think I would miss the pave. The setting has .76 points in small stones so while it makes the stone look smaller, I think it adds to the overall sparkle.

For those interested, here is a profile shot. I love the ring from this angle, although the "K" is more apparent.

20160530_124315.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think the setting is the best choice.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loving that side view of the setting!
And a very pretty diamond. The whole thing is beautiful as is, but if you have niggling concerns it's good to address them now and be 100% happy.
It may also be good to remember that it is quite possible that no matter what size diamond you have [and I think yours is a great size] eventually you will get DSS. It's a side effect of hanging out on PS : )

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right you are Jimmianne! DSS is definitely a side effect of hanging out on Ps! Your ring looks "not small." Your diamond is beautiful and the setting is beautiful. Others have weighed in with suggestions on how to make it look bigger. That's fine, maybe you want to make changes. But don't conform to what others think, dance to your own drummer. Your ring is beautiful and unique and looks lovely on you. :wavey:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want your diamond to feel conspicuously large, take a stroll around some of the dodgier neighbourhoods in your area after dark ;-) or go and volunteer at a homeless shelter!

Perception is something that can be changed (and can be easily warped by the giant rocks on here ;)) lol) so you can always try to reflect on things and change it - we mustn't forget that the majority of people don't have and perhaps can't afford such luxuries :)

Don't forget, even 'just' a carat is very large by standards in most parts of the world - as a Brit, I would say that the USA is probably leading the way on bigger (brasher? :???: :lol: ) stones. Over here, a carat is very definitely a large stone unless you have some considerable wealth and mingle in 'those' sort of social circles. I bought 'only' a 0.67 for my now fiancée, small by PS standards, but it is larger than probably 90% of the stones we see in 'normal' jewellery shop windows!

AllThingsSparkling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't think it looks small at all but I agree a simpler, thinner setting would make your center stone more pronounced. I love PS but it definitely makes us mere mortals feel like our rings are teeny!

togal

Shiny_Rock
It's lovely, but if you really want it to look bigger, halo is the most cost-effective way... Same stoned, different settings:

_1199.png

ringbeforeafter.jpg

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
Does not look small at all.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I don't think it looks small, but my diamond is a .87 that I got after 30 years, I might not be the best person to ask. :lol:

I do think your ring is gorgeous.

mjg

Rough_Rock
I think it's beautiful! I do agree wth others it would look bigger in a thinner setting. One idea is you could get a simulant for your original engagement ring and put the new diamond in a simple solitaire, with the option to upgrade again over time. You might get more visual presence now plus a setting that allows for further upgrades.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's really pretty, but the setting does seem to overtake it a little bit. I've run into the same thing w/a colored stone ring that I want to reset-I love the setting but think the stone could be better served in something else. So, what I would do, were I in your shoes, is reset the stone if that was the stone I wanted, in either a halo or something thinner/simpler, and since you love the current setting, I would put a pretty stone in it and wear it on my right hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results