shape
carat
color
clarity

Does the metal color effect the color of a tanzanite?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a tanzanite ring, that I love for sentimental reasons, but rarely wear. One reason I don't wear it much is that it's set in yellow gold, and I usually prefer white gold or silver. Too bad I didn't know 16 years ago, when I chose this ring for my first Mother's Day, that I'd eventually realize that I'm a white metal girl. :o

Anyway, I was wondering about having the ring rhodium plated. It still won't be an everyday ring, so the plating shouldn't wear off too fast, I hope. But, I was also thinking about how that might effect the blue/purple hue. Actully, the stone leans more toward purple than I would like (again, bought this ring 16 years ago, long before PS) and I was thinking a cooler metal might draw more blue to the eye? Or would it be opposite? or maybe neither? :confused:

One more question, is there any reason a tanzanite ring shouldn't be rhodium plated?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm going to try to attach a picture of the ring.

2010-5-4%20031.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is lovely. I don't see why they can't rhodium plate it for you. I think removing the yellow from ring the tanzanite will look more blue.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Marcy, for your input. Although the purple I mostly see is nice, too, I think maybe I have enough purple, being a February baby. Still, these tanzanites definitely aren't the same purple as my birthstone pieces. I'd love if some one who has more experience with the stone, maybe played with the metal colors before setting one, will stop in too, but I definitely appreciate your thoughts on the subject. Maybe I just need to spend more time on the colored stone boards.There is always something beautiful to see! Thanks, again.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzanite looks good in white or yellow gold HOWEVER in order rhodium plate your setting properly, you'd need to have the stone taken out. Tanzanites are notoriously difficult to handle and even very experienced benchmen hold their breath when doing it! I think yours is bezel set which will also make it more challenging.

So, before you embark on this project think:-

1. do you have a trusted benchman who will take this on?
2. have you seen Tanzanite in w/gold and do you like it?
3. if it breaks during the re-setting would you be heartbroken OR would you be happy to replace it?

Here are some of mine. You can see some are set in white gold and some yellow. With this stone, I think it's more about what colour metal you like as both work well.

Tanzanite Montage.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

LD's collection never ceases to amaze me. eighten carats, oh my. I love tanzanite, but for me I like it in white gold.

Annette

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1316877814|3024644 said:
Tanzanite looks good in white or yellow gold HOWEVER in order rhodium plate your setting properly, you'd need to have the stone taken out. Tanzanites are notoriously difficult to handle and even very experienced benchmen hold their breath when doing it! I think yours is bezel set which will also make it more challenging.

So, before you embark on this project think:-

1. do you have a trusted benchman who will take this on?
2. have you seen Tanzanite in w/gold and do you like it?
3. if it breaks during the re-setting would you be heartbroken OR would you be happy to replace it?

Here are some of mine. You can see some are set in white gold and some yellow. With this stone, I think it's more about what colour metal you like as both work well.

LD, your tanzanite collection is amazing! To answer some of your questions:

1. I do have a trusted benchman, who resized the ring in question last year, but I hadn't thought about the idea of rhodium plating it back then. I haven't asked him about it, yet, but plan to.
2. I do like tanzanite in wg, definitely, I would just love it if it brought out more of the blue, too.
3. I'd be sad to have to replace any of the stones, but not heartbroken. The setting isn't a true bezel, you can see the prong work from the underside of the gallery.

Thank you for reminding me of the fragility of this stone. That must have been in the back of my mind when I started this thread. I know there is another benchman in town who would be willing to rhodium plate most rings, but I'm not sure if I would trust him in this case. I also don't know if my prefered benchman will be willing to rhodium plate any ring, let alone this one. When he reset my ering, I mentioned in passing having him plate my yg half-eternity, but he commented that it wouldn't be a good idea because the plating will wear off too quickly. I don't know if that's a general rule for him, or because it would be a daily wear ring, though.

Thanks to every one!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KaeKae - your jeweller is correct. Rhodium plating a yellow gold ring is only a temporary solution. For some people it would wear off in weeks, others months and the very lucky ones years BUT it will wear off and will never look like w/gold.

If you love the tanzanite and the ring, I'd be tempted to say to save up and get it put into a new w/gold setting OR how about silver to save money?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD, I know you and my jeweler are right about the rhodium wearing off. If only I had a way to know just how long it would last. My reset wg ering is a little over two years old, and I'm just recently (the past couple months) noticing it needs to be redone.No doubt yg would be much sooner, if I wear it more than I do now. It's a good idea to consider resetting in a sterling ring. I don't know if my jeweler works in silver. I guess it won't hurt to ask. Otherwise I can start looking into some of the favored PS vendor who do work in silver. Thank so much for the advice. You've given me somethings to think about.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see no reason why tanzanite cannot be set in a white metal. However, yes, certain metal colours can play up or play down a gemstone's colour. You have to take this into consideration for your tanzanite. Rhodium plating is only a temporary solution because it will be worn down fairly quickly depending on how often the ring is worn and the wearer's skin's chemical balance.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If you are tired of your current setting and your taste has changed, you ought to reset the stones in something that you love and will wear.

I am less sentimental about jewelry that I don't like and don't wear. I had a piece like that. Yellow gold, didn't like, didn't wear. Once I reset it, it became an everyday piece and I love the fact that I now can enjoy it. I didn't realize how sentimental I was about the stone until I started wearing it again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results