shape
carat
color
clarity

Does size affect performance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dazed and Confused

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I was told by a jeweler that a well cut larger diamond in the 3 ct range will not perform as well as a well cut smaller diamond in the 1.5 ct range. The jeweler stated that diamonds in the 1.5 ct range have optimal performance (but that’s not to say that the larger diamond doesn’t perform well – just not as well when compared to the smaller stone). Is this true???

Thanks!
Truly Dazed and Confused.

Opps! I've been totally consumed with this diamond search and didn't even realized think about that title!
9.gif

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
I didn''t know what to expect when I opened this thread....Size affect Performance???
25.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, where is DancingFire? This one is just too easy. It''s a high and outside fastball waiting to be hit out of the park.

As for the question, I''d say no...a well cut stone is a well cut stone. A 3 carat well cut stone will look bigger than a 1.5 carat well cut stone but not better or worse just because of the size.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
well if any vender here would like to send me (FOC) a 0.5ct 1ct and a 3ct (of an maybe Garry would send over that 15ct for good measure) I''d happily give my opinions over the next 20 years :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Must.... resisit... from...typing.... something... bad........

31.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2005 12:16
6.gif
2 PM
Author: Patty
Oh my, where is DancingFire? This one is just too easy. It's a high and outside fastball waiting to be hit out of the park.

As for the question, I'd say no...a well cut stone is a well cut stone. A 3 carat well cut stone will look bigger than a 1.5 carat well cut stone but not better or worse just because of the size.
Patty
LOL...you're so funny .....i'm laughing so hard i just wet my pants
6.gif
....where is ForteKitty?
31.gif
she can handle a fastball better than i. the next loud sound you hear is FK knocking this one out of the park for a grand slam home run....POP !!!! and it's gone............

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2005 2:14:40 PM
Author: ForteKitty

31.gif
OH MY GOD!!!!....now i'm really ROTFLMAO

i like your style.
9.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
I typed the topic title into Google. Of the six millions hits I got, I''m not sure I can post ANY of them.....
6.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2005 2:39:53 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 3/8/2005 2:14:40 PM
Author: ForteKitty

31.gif
OH MY GOD!!!!....now i''m really ROTFLMAO

i like your style.
9.gif
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FK
i think you''re a blond
2.gif
(not chinese) because,blonds have more fun.
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps Leonid can change the tytle of this thread... before Pricescope gets an R rating
9.gif

Back to the initial Q... yeah, big ones tip the scales (of cut grading devices) even if the cut is not all that optimized.

Look at this one ! (LINK).

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

tho seeing the pic of that 15ct H&A - I''m tempted to say - yip size affects performance.

In a good way tho ;-)

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, size does have an effect on performance.

As you may know, AGS has issued ''cutting guidelines'' for rounds and princess cuts, with a diameter of 6mm. I understood from Peter Yantzer, who gave a presentation in Antwerp on Monday, that very soon, we will also receive cutting guidelines for 4 mm, 8 mm and possibly 10 mm.

Since these cutting guidelines are based on thorough research, it shows that size affects performance.

This does not mean that a bigger stone will perform better or worse, it means that, when cutting, size is one of the parameters.
In other words, it is not ''size'' as such, it is how you use ''size'' (as one of the parameters).

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results