shape
carat
color
clarity

Does rose gold need to be replated?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I've never had any rose gold, but I love a band and am considering it for a right hand ring. Would rose gold need to be replated in the future, similar to white gold? Thank you!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never had any rose gold, but I love a band and am considering it for a right hand ring. Would rose gold need to be replated in the future, similar to white gold? Thank you!!

One you find a piece you love its hard to stop at one !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think rose gold looks excellent on me, but I am going to try it (hopefully!) and I'm sure you're right... it will be hard to stop at one!

I honestly thought i hated it
all i could think of was 1980s mail order Russian tri colour wedding rings :lol-2:
But once you start looking around and noticing it, there are some really lovelly pieces and combinations around

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand why white gold would need to be replated. My mother had a white gold wedding band. She wore it until she lost it down a drain...i.e. for about 60 years of her marriage. It never seemed to change. Or, if it did, she always felt the same way about it. She was devastated when she lost it.:))

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I don't understand why white gold would need to be replated. My mother had a white gold wedding band. She wore it until she lost it down a drain...i.e. for about 60 years of her marriage. It never seemed to change. Or, if it did, she always felt the same way about it. She was devastated when she lost it.:))

I have no experience with white gold myself, but I have heard that for some people the rhodium wears away quickly and changes the look of the metal to a warmer gold. I'm so sorry your mom lost her ring down a drain!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no experience with white gold myself, but I have heard that for some people the rhodium wears away quickly and changes the look of the metal to a warmer gold. I'm so sorry your mom lost her ring down a drain!

Thank you. I have a nice story about that, though. My mother passed away at 90 years old in 2008. For a while she had tried wearing a couple of other rings in place of her plain white gold band, but no other ring meant anything to her. (By coincidence one of the bands she tried was a rolling tri-color ring in the style Daisys and Diamonds mentioned above.)

After a while her goddaughter gave her her own mother's diamond wedding band from her mother's first marriage, the marriage that had produced her. (My mother's goddaughter was also her first cousin so the wedding band had belonged to her aunt.) Her goddaughter had been wearing the band herself; it was meaningful to her.

My mother wore the band for the rest of her life. After she died, I returned it to my my cousin, whose mother had been married in it and my cousin still has it now. That ring has seen a lot of love and not all of it marital.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. I have a nice story about that, though. My mother passed away at 90 years old in 2008. For a while she had tried wearing a couple of other rings in place of her plain white gold band, but no other ring meant anything to her. (By coincidence one of the bands she tried was a rolling tri-color ring in the style Daisys and Diamonds mentioned above.)

After a while her goddaughter gave her her own mother's diamond wedding band from her mother's first marriage, the marriage that had produced her. (My mother's goddaughter was also her first cousin so the wedding band had belonged to her aunt.) Her goddaughter had been wearing the band herself; it was meaningful to her.

My mother wore the band for the rest of her life. After she died, I returned it to my my cousin, whose mother had been married in it and my cousin still has it now. That ring has seen a lot of love and not all of it marital.

I love this story! I'm so glad that your mother was able to wear a ring that was meaningful after she had lost her own. I also think it is wonderful that the ring lives on and is still in the family. You are right - the ring has seen a lot of love. Honestly quite touching.

Last edited:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
My brother in law has an antique heavy domed 6mm rose gold wedding ring which is dated to 1922. He has never removed it in 26 years of marriage & I expect it looks just as rosie now as it did 98 years ago =)2

That's interesting that your brother went with a rose gold band for his wedding 26 years ago! I don't think it was on my radar until very recently. I have so much pink/red in my skin and particularly my hands. I am not at all sure it will look good on me. But I think it's time to live dangerously :lol-2:. Good to know that it will not need replating.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's a lovelly family story :kiss2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's interesting that your brother went with a rose gold band for his wedding 26 years ago! I don't think it was on my radar until very recently. I have so much pink/red in my skin and particularly my hands. I am not at all sure it will look good on me. But I think it's time to live dangerously :lol-2:. Good to know that it will not need replating.

Yeah, weird choice for a bloke 26 years ago?! My sisters' is 18ct yellow gold, so it's not like they had matching & her's is rose too. Plus her's was made for her & he insisted on recycling from an antique shop. He has always been very environmentally conscious, so perhaps this is where he started from. His skin is dark as his father is Italian, so I think he would have suited yellow gold more, but I think if you have pink tones to your skin, it's definitely going to work!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was not a fan of rose gold and really did not appreciate the color difference of 18Kt and 14kt yellow golds. I've come a long way and prefer the 18Kt gold and found a new love for rose gold. But that being said, I still do not like rose gold with diamonds. Maybe one day I'll change my mind.

ShawnWiz

Rough_Rock
Based from my friend who loves rose gold, the colour doesn't really change as much though the years and she feels extra feminine as it shows how fitting it is for women. :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a lot of threads about gold color on Pricescope. There is also one major thread about gold.

The Gold Thread...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/page-62

Last edited:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
There are a lot of threads about gold color on Pricescope. There is also one major thread about gold.

The Gold Thread...https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/page-62

Thank you AGBT! I have gold on my brain right now so I am really going to enjoy reading that thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results