shape
carat
color
clarity

Does bezeling a stone affect its appearance?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OECs or transitionals specifically... does bezeling them affect their appearance in any way? Color looks lower/higher, more/less brilliance, more/less dispersion, etc. Or no effect?

I'll probably end up with a lowish colored stone (J/K/L), so want to know what to expect.

Thanks for any insights!

Anne

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anne_h|1304779408|2914751 said:
OECs or transitionals specifically... does bezeling them affect their appearance in any way? Color looks lower/higher, more/less brilliance, more/less dispersion, etc. Or no effect?

I'll probably end up with a lowish colored stone (J/K/L), so want to know what to expect.

Thanks for any insights!

Anne

Here's a thread on this: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-a-bezel-setting-change-and-or-decrease-light-return.146618/page-2#post-2646687?hilit=girdle#p2646687']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-a-bezel-setting-change-and-or-decrease-light-return.146618/page-2#post-2646687?hilit=girdle#p2646687[/URL]

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Yssie!

So what I got out of that is that "most" round brilliants will have at least a tiny loss of brilliance by bezeling. But that for old cut stones, low-color stones and/or shallow-cut stones, a bezel may improve brilliance.

Humm! I'm looking at OECs and Transitional cuts specifically, and my favorite setting so far happens to be a bezel. I'm looking at largish stones of lowish colors (J/K/L). So hopefully any impacts will be negligible.

We shall see! Thank you again,

Anne

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anne_h|1304902975|2915794 said:
Thanks Yssie!

So what I got out of that is that "most" round brilliants will have at least a tiny loss of brilliance by bezeling. But that for old cut stones, low-color stones and/or shallow-cut stones, a bezel may improve brilliance.

Humm! I'm looking at OECs and Transitional cuts specifically, and my favorite setting so far happens to be a bezel. I'm looking at largish stones of lowish colors (J/K/L). So hopefully any impacts will be negligible.

We shall see! Thank you again,

Anne

For old cut stones that are overly deep or very optically asymmetric a bezel is going to detract from brilliance - just like w/ modern RBs.

That said, if the bezel is your preferred setting type, the aesthetic of the entire ring w/ a well-cut or even moderately well cut stone (designed for edge-edge light return) - whether old or not - is more affected by setting type than a slight increase in brilliance IMO, so if you want a bezel just bezel the thing and don't worry too much about it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results