shape
carat
color
clarity

Does bezeling a stone affect its appearance?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OECs or transitionals specifically... does bezeling them affect their appearance in any way? Color looks lower/higher, more/less brilliance, more/less dispersion, etc. Or no effect?

I'll probably end up with a lowish colored stone (J/K/L), so want to know what to expect.

Thanks for any insights!

Anne

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anne_h|1304779408|2914751 said:
OECs or transitionals specifically... does bezeling them affect their appearance in any way? Color looks lower/higher, more/less brilliance, more/less dispersion, etc. Or no effect?

I'll probably end up with a lowish colored stone (J/K/L), so want to know what to expect.

Thanks for any insights!

Anne

Here's a thread on this: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-a-bezel-setting-change-and-or-decrease-light-return.146618/page-2#post-2646687?hilit=girdle#p2646687']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-a-bezel-setting-change-and-or-decrease-light-return.146618/page-2#post-2646687?hilit=girdle#p2646687[/URL]

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Yssie!

So what I got out of that is that "most" round brilliants will have at least a tiny loss of brilliance by bezeling. But that for old cut stones, low-color stones and/or shallow-cut stones, a bezel may improve brilliance.

Humm! I'm looking at OECs and Transitional cuts specifically, and my favorite setting so far happens to be a bezel. I'm looking at largish stones of lowish colors (J/K/L). So hopefully any impacts will be negligible.

We shall see! Thank you again,

Anne

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anne_h|1304902975|2915794 said:
Thanks Yssie!

So what I got out of that is that "most" round brilliants will have at least a tiny loss of brilliance by bezeling. But that for old cut stones, low-color stones and/or shallow-cut stones, a bezel may improve brilliance.

Humm! I'm looking at OECs and Transitional cuts specifically, and my favorite setting so far happens to be a bezel. I'm looking at largish stones of lowish colors (J/K/L). So hopefully any impacts will be negligible.

We shall see! Thank you again,

Anne

For old cut stones that are overly deep or very optically asymmetric a bezel is going to detract from brilliance - just like w/ modern RBs.

That said, if the bezel is your preferred setting type, the aesthetic of the entire ring w/ a well-cut or even moderately well cut stone (designed for edge-edge light return) - whether old or not - is more affected by setting type than a slight increase in brilliance IMO, so if you want a bezel just bezel the thing and don't worry too much about it!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Men In Pearls
    Men In Pearls
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti
    Celebrating The Life Of Elsa Peretti
    Recovering Diamonds From The Depths
    Recovering Diamonds From The Depths

Need expert help finding that diamonds?

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.