shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone know how to get around a 30 day return policy?

RyanB12

Rough_Rock
I bought a 1.563 Hearts on Fire stone Feb 13th and I had the jeweler (CD Peacock) hold it until yesterday but I don't love it and want a bigger (1.90)GIA triple X stone for the money. They aren't going to be happy with me but it is set in a tacori setting so do you guys have any ideas? Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Does anyone know how to get around a 30 day return polic

Ask nicely. You didn't take possession till yestrrday. You can argue 30 days tolls from possession date. But I would hold that in reserve. Try just asking and being nice first.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Are not most sales agreements from date of purchase? Can't hurt to ask.

cheers--Sharon

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with Gypsy. If you didn't have it in your possession, then I don't see why it should be a big deal if you decide to return after only a day or two... because that's how long you've had it. Tell them you don't love it.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I imagine the 30 days is from date of purchase but it never hurts to ask. Since it's already mounted they might be more likely to say no. If you are getting the larger diamond from them they may be more likely to be agreeable to exchange it.

RyanB12

Rough_Rock

Thanks! I actually have a bigger diamond from someone else so that probably doesn't help. I think they could sell this easily to someone else. Definitely a gray area

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This may be a moot point, but did you put down a deposit for them to hold it, or did you pay in full and they literally held the diamond at the store?

The reason I ask is if you only put a deposit down, the date of purchase would be the day you paid it in full. #imtryinghere :shifty:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Did they call the stone in for you?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, if you purchased the diamond more than 30 days ago and you just asked them hold onto it for you, then you are likely 100% out of luck . There's no reason for them to accept a return after 30 days. 30 days is very generous as far as return policies go. I see no gray area at all unless the sales receipt is date 2/28 or later.

I was about to suggest upgrading with them, but I read their upgrade policy requires you spend double the amount. In any event, you'd be out of your money on the setting because a 1.9 likely wouldn't work in a setting for a 1.5 ct., and settings special ordered are almost never returnable.

On the plus side, you bought a high quality diamond and setting. That's a much better ring to be stuck with as compared a poor quality, overpriced diamond which we sadly see here, too.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ask nicely, and offer to pay a restocking fee.

piano

Rough_Rock

Woww, that is a surprise to me.
I just talked to at least 2 vendors a week or two wks ago, WhiteFlash and B2C Jewels, and they confirmed the 30-day return policy starts kicking in when I RECEIVE the e-ring, not when I make a purchase.
If they hold their products and start counting the days of return then what is the point of holding anyway :(

To be clear, "hold" in my statement is they will not ship the e-ring which paid in full.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rocks|1459117331|4011845 said:
Ask nicely, and offer to pay a restocking fee.
This is what I'd also suggest. I might try to push for the '30 days from possession' if that doesn't work. BUT I think if you are nice, and are willing to take a small hit they might not mind.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

piano|1459194046|4012153 said:
I just talked to at least 2 vendors a week or two wks ago, WhiteFlash and B2C Jewels, and they confirmed the 30-day return policy starts kicking in when I RECEIVE the e-ring, not when I make a purchase.
If they hold their products and start counting the days of return then what is the point of holding anyway :(

To be clear, "hold" in my statement is they will not ship the e-ring which paid in full.

No, he apparently paid for the ring but didn't want to take possession of it until closer to the proposal time. He apparently paid for the ring Feb. 13th and asked them to hold it for him. He had it shipped to avoid the tax. So since he bought it there, that was his date of sale, I am fairly sure.

Ryan...Did you reach the jeweler today?

There is little chance the 1.9 would fit in the Tacori setting. There is a lot of size difference in a 1.5 and a 1.9. If you are able to return the first diamond, please show us which Tacori setting it is. And please show us the GIA report on the 1.9 stone.

Okay, I just saw you have another thread on the same topic with the BN diamond. I don't even like the numbers on the GIA stone. It is too deep. It might have a larger diameter if it had a better depth.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

piano|1459194046|4012153 said:
I bet if FedEx showed up at your doorstep with your ring package from Whiteflash or B2C, but you repudiated delivery & told the driver to take the box to the local depot, you'd pick it up there sometime in the next month, Whiteflash or B2C would consider the attempted delivery date to mark the start of your 30-day return period. After all, that delivery date was your opportunity to take possession of the ring; not taking possession is simply another way of exercising your ownership rights of "dominion and control" over the ring,

No matter which vendors you are considering, read through their entire return policies. Neither Whiteflash nor B2C have an unqualified, 30-day return policy. Their return policies let you know that, e.g., special order items -- as the Tacori setting would have been for Ryan had he purchased it from Whiteflash -- are non-refundable final sales.

RyanB12

Rough_Rock

The depth on the two stones are not all that different. HOF is 62 and GIA is 62.7... HCA scores are 1.1 - HOF and 1.4 - GIA. I am getting the GIA tomorrow and then contacting the jeweler I bought the HOF from. I am getting the GIA inspected independently before I do that though. The tacori setting (HT2510) I was told can hold up to a 2.0 carat stone. There is a .4mm difference in the diameter. I think this will fit but hopefully I can return it and I called the financing company and was told I could dispute it and let them handle it if the HOF jeweler gives me a hard time. Apparently the wholesale cost on this stone is 7 grand according to a jeweler on Jewelers Row in downtown Chicago (avg 5.0 review rating on dozens of Yelp reviews). For this money I spent I should easily get close to 2 carats. I won't recommend Hearts on Fire to anyone unless their liquid net worth wouldn't be affected all that much by the premium price.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you post the specs of the GIA stone from Blue Nile - table, depth, crown and pavilion? The difference between 62 and 62.7 is considerable in a diamond. Depending on the other stats, you could be fairly guaranteed that the 62.7 stone will face up smaller than its carat weight. I don't blame you for returning the HOF stone as you can get more from your money elsewhere but it doesn't have to be between only these two stones. There are a lot of diamonds out there!

RyanB12

Rough_Rock

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06612897?track=Detlink2

Depth 62.7
Table 56.0
No fluorescence
Girdle Medium (4.0%)
7.89x7.84x4.94

I like the inclusions are clean looking and are off to the side. I also am proposing this Thursday and don't have enough time to get the HOF stone out and re-set with the GIA stone. So, I am most likely proposing with the HOF in the Tacori setting. OR, I could propose with the GIA stone in a solitaire setting. Thoughts on the new GIA stone and my pickle I'm in? Her friends are flying in to Florida after we get there to photograph it. I know it will work out so I am trying not to stress too much.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RyanB12|1459209597|4012296 said:
The depth on the two stones are not all that different. HOF is 62 and GIA is 62.7... HCA scores are 1.1 - HOF and 1.4 - GIA. I am getting the GIA tomorrow and then contacting the jeweler I bought the HOF from. I am getting the GIA inspected independently before I do that though. The tacori setting (HT2510) I was told can hold up to a 2.0 carat stone. There is a .4mm difference in the diameter. I think this will fit but hopefully I can return it and I called the financing company and was told I could dispute it and let them handle it if the HOF jeweler gives me a hard time. Apparently the wholesale cost on this stone is 7 grand according to a jeweler on Jewelers Row in downtown Chicago (avg 5.0 review rating on dozens of Yelp reviews). For this money I spent I should easily get close to 2 carats. I won't recommend Hearts on Fire to anyone unless their liquid net worth wouldn't be affected all that much by the premium price.

Well, generally people here who don't want to pay for super ideal cut will still want to find stones with similar measurements. We generally recommend a depth of up to 62 but a max of 62.3. I am not saying it's bad, I am just saying that the diameter of the stone is pretty important for those who want to maximize size as a priority.

I will tell you right now that wholesale on super ideal cuts is higher than a generic J color excellent cut diamond. The research on pricing needs to be done before buying or at least during the return period. Yes, HoF does have a hefty mark-up, but so do most brick and mortar jewelry stores. That is why most of us here buy online. You did get $3k off the list price, which makes it better than it would have been otherwise, though.

If you were within the 30 days, I would strongly support your returning the HoF stone and getting another. I think it is fine for you to tell them you have changed your mind on that particular diamond and ask if they will let you exchange it for a GIA Ex cut stone. But a policy is a policy and I think it would be extremely unethical on your part to try to force them to give you a refund on that diamond to buy a stone elsewhere since you are about 2 weeks past the 30 day return period.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also wouldn't want to propose with one stone and then swap it out for another - especially with such a size difference.

Is there any way you can postpone the proposal until you get this all squared away? You have too many issues with the diamonds and the setting to realistically get this all straightened out in a couple of days.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RyanB12|1459209597|4012296 said:
May I ask, Ryan, who told you -- without seeing the ring -- that the head will accept up to a 2.0 ct stone, no problem, regardless of how the HoF stone is "seated" or the diameter of a replacement stone? Is it the other jeweler who wants your business, is he an authorized Tacori retailer? (if not, using him to work on the ring, including stone removal/setting, will void your warranty with Tacori).

Honestly, I don't think you should bank on the financing company being able to engineer a refund. You are well beyond the stated return period & you received exactly what you ordered and paid for. So I'm not seeing that there's any legit ground for a dispute (buyer's remorse isn't a valid basis for a chargeback).

If anyone is interested, here are a couple pics of Tacori's HT 2510:

tacori_ht2510_profile.jpg

tacori_ht2510.jpg

RyanB12

Rough_Rock

The retailer I bought the HOF and tacori setting from told me one tacori setting I originally liked was for stones 2.0 or greater (and a lot more $) so I decided on this setting because he said it would hold up to 2.0 carats and was in my budget.

You could say I'm being unethical for being a bit past he 30 day window and wanting to return it, but, I would argue it would be more unethical to sell me a bill of goods and steer me towards HOF just because it behooves them to carry that brand and to meet their contracted sales quota with HOF. After they had held it for so long, I realized it was in the retailers best interest to sell me this cut and brand over GIA triple X. I really wanted to get a bigger stone and they knew that but he sold me on taking $3k off, on a I compromised on a J color stone too. At $9,500 per carat that's roughly 15% more $ per carat weight and two color grades worse than I possibly could have got.

I would delay the proposal if I could but they money is already spent on the trip and her friends are coming because of it. I know it's not a good situation but if I am going to propose, I will have to make lemonade out of this situation somehow. Any ideas are appreciated!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RyanB12|1459214788|4012331 said:
The retailer I bought the HOF and tacori setting from told me one tacori setting I originally liked was for stones 2.0 or greater (and a lot more $) so I decided on this setting because he said it would hold up to 2.0 carats and was in my budget. * * *
I would delay the proposal if I could but they money is already spent on the trip and her friends are coming because of it. I know it's not a good situation but if I am going to propose, I will have to make lemonade out of this situation somehow. Any ideas are appreciated!
What I believe C.D. Peacock meant is that setting model is intended, and priced, for a center stone of a certain ct range. That doesn't mean that after Tacori fashioned your ring for that specific HoF stone, any ol' 2 ct (or thereabouts) diamond can be readily swapped in.

As for a game plan, I vote for diamondseeker's previous suggestion as the most expedient, and likely less costly all around:
diamondseeker2006 said:
* * * I think it is fine for you to tell them you have changed your mind on that particular diamond and ask if they will let you exchange it for a GIA Ex cut stone. * * *
ETA you might ask for a store credit, reflecting at least in part the difference between the HoF purchase price & that of your chosen GIA stone, to be used for, e.g., your wedding bands.

RyanB12

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the comment and suggestion. After how I see this retailer marks their inventory up, I would be scared to see what they would charge me for something else. I have a replacement stone I feel I paid a fair price for and I did end up buying the setting from them which they made money on as well. They've been in business for 100 years, I would think they care about making a customer happy and not being sticklers on something I technically didn't receive until last Friday. :/

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ryan, you seem to be working yourself up into self-righteous indignation. I certainly understand that you now really wish you had done more homework before making the purchase, but you need to make the best of your decision in short order. Taking a combative stance, arguing that they were "unethical" (really? do you think you could get back the purchase price of a house or a car on the ground that the seller didn't tell you there's another one elsewhere you might like that's cheaper?) is no way to "get to Yes."

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HOF generally sets the pricing guidelines for their stones through retailers. In all fairness, they offered a product for a particular price and you bought it. Doesn't mean they are a bad retailer.

I will also echo the other poster's concern about the Tacori setting. You generally send a stone to them and they fashion the ring around the stone. All size stones are not interchangeable in those settings.

I don't really have any suggestions regarding the proposal. Depends on what you can work out between now and then. I wish you all the best and let us know how it all works out for you!

RyanB12

Rough_Rock

Fair point but I was defending myself from a previous poster. If I had the stone in my possession for the full 30 days from my purchase date, I would know I'm out of luck. It took Tacori 4 weeks to make the ring and I had the jeweler hold the diamond over that time so they could set it in the ring and I also didn't get the ring until last Friday.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RyanB12|1459217942|4012354 said:
Fair point but I was defending myself from a previous poster. If I had the stone in my possession for the full 30 days from my purchase date, I would know I'm out of luck. It took Tacori 4 weeks to make the ring and I had the jeweler hold the diamond over that time so they could set it in the ring and I also didn't get the ring until last Friday.
Oh geez, let's back up the train since info is coming out in dribs and drabs, in two different threads. In order to help us help you, would you kindly clarify the ring's chronology, e.g., when did you purchase the diamond and order the setting, when were you told the ring was complete (as I indicated before, it doesn't matter, from a legal perspective, when you accepted possession) & share with us why you believe the HoF was not sent to Tacori, and the specifics of the return policy?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MollyMalone|1459219413|4012370 said:
RyanB12|1459217942|4012354 said:
Oh geez, let's back up the train since info is coming out in dribs and drabs, in two different threads. In order to help us help you, would you kindly clarify the ring's chronology, e.g., when did you purchase the diamond and order the setting, when were you told the ring was complete (as I indicated before, it doesn't matter, from a legal perspective, when you accepted possession) & share with us why you believe the HoF was not sent to Tacori, and the specifics of the return policy?

Ditto, this is the very first time we have been told that the setting was not finished until 4 weeks after the diamond purchase?

Big question...what date does the sales receipt have? What date was the diamond paid in full? What date was the ring completed and ready to pick up?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is their policy:

C.D.Peacock provides you with our Best Value Promise: If you find a diamond of comparable quality for less money, we will either refund the difference or accept a full return within 30 days of the original purchase date. C.D.Peacock accepts returns on unworn watches in good condition within 10 days from the date of purchase.

*Price is guaranteed against actual diamonds found at any physical store location – proper verification, including copy of grading certificate and receipt of purchase is required.

So it still looks like the diamond had a 30 day timeline to be returned, to me. I am not sure if that means it is possible he could show them a comparable superideal cut hearts and arrows stone from GOG or WF (who do have physical showrooms/stores) with similar specs and get a partial refund off the price.

What's the clarity on your stone, Ryan? I will see if I can find a price comp for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results