shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone know how to get around a 30 day return policy?

RyanB12

Rough_Rock
Re: Does anyone know how to get around a 30 day return polic

Feb 13th - 1.563 SI1 J paid in full with third party financing (synchrony)
Feb 18th - Tacori HT2510 setting ordered and paid in full with my American Express card (I'm not sure who set the stone)
March 8th - was texted the ring arrived back at C.D. Peacock
March 21st - ring was shipped to Michigan from Illinois
March 25th - I picked up the ring in Michigan.

What's a guy to do!? This HOF has a yellow tint to the bottom of it and I want a bigger stone and am not happy overall.

Thanks!

Ryan

RyanB12

Rough_Rock

I think my plan is tomorrow, pick up the 1.90 from fedex in the morning, have it inspected at a jeweler separate from CD peacock, then go to CD Peacock and tell them I'm not happy, I wanted a bigger stone and found one for the same money with better color. Ask nicely to return the HOF stone and then if they do, I'll figure out a way to get the 1.90 in a solitaire setting until I can get it properly set in the Tacori setting.

How does that sound? That's my best case scenario right there.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

One more thing, Ryan: does any of your own paperwork spell out a return-refund policy re the diamond and/or Tacori setting? (I personally wouldn't consider the price guarantee policy that diamondseeker found on C.D Peacock's web site and thoughtfully reprinted for us in her last thread to be a "return policy", which is the term you've used in your PS posts; so that's why I'm asking about your paperwork)

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

I feel there is a lot of grey area about when the return window starts here and in the retailer's eyes but I personally don't think it should even start running until March 8th. It took almost 3 weeks just for the retailer to set the ring and I do not see how they can count that as part of the return timeframe. That doesn't leave you any time to return it if you don't like it. I would not be happy if a retailer started the return clock while taking three weeks to have the ring set.

Now I know this is not what you want to hear but I personally would much prefer that HOF stone over the GIA stone. HOF diamonds are so beautiful, ethereal, romantic. It's all personal taste but I'd rather have the smaller HOF and I like its proportions better. I definitely don't recommend proposing with one ring and switching to another. Many ladies love sentiment and wouldn't want to switch, even for size.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good point, Molly. That mention of 30 days with refund was the only thing I saw. Upgrades require double the price of the first stone.

Ryan, it still looks to me that the diamond was purchased Feb 13 which gave you 30 days to compare prices, realize that HoF was high priced, and return that diamond. So you had until around March 13th to go back and have an easy return. If you had come here before buying or during the 30 days, we would have told you. I think Molly is an attorney, so she probably can give you the best advice.

The setting was a separate purchase. You could have told them at any point within the 30 days that you didn't want the diamond, but you probably were obligated to purchase the setting regardless since it was custom ordered for you.

sharonp

Rough_Rock

RyanB12|1459221826|4012385 said:
Feb 13th - 1.563 SI1 J paid in full with third party financing (synchrony)
Feb 18th - Tacori HT2510 setting ordered and paid in full with my American Express card (I'm not sure who set the stone)
March 8th - was texted the ring arrived back at C.D. Peacock
March 21st - ring was shipped to Michigan from Illinois
March 25th - I picked up the ring in Michigan.

What's a guy to do!? This HOF has a yellow tint to the bottom of it and I want a bigger stone and am not happy overall.

Thanks!

Ryan

When do you pick up the loose diamond or see it?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sharonp|1459264940|4012575 said:
When do you pick up the loose diamond or see it?
This was not an online/telephone order, but a bricks-and-mortar jewelry store purchase. He viewed the HoF in person before he paid for it.

RyanB12

Rough_Rock

I am going to pick the new gia loose stone now. Correct Molly, but I didn't see it set before

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock

There are different rules about seen and unseen purchase. And it matters little if you hadn't seen it set. They must have showed you the diamond temporarily put on a setting to see how it looks on fingers. They would be extremely kind if they accepted a return.

RyanB12

Rough_Rock

I may not be able to set a bigger stone in this setting anyway so it could be a moot point. We shall see and I'll keep you updated!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That was what most of us thought. Good luck and let us know!

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock

Rubbish about AGS not grading true to colour.

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock

It seems to me that if you bought the stone at the store and they sent it to tacori for setting, the return period would start when they received the ring back and were able to ship it to you. If we ask a jeweler to hold something just to extend the return window while continuing to look for other options, that doesn't "feel" right. It also doesn't "feel" right not to give the jeweler the opportunity to continue the sale with you and locate another stone. If they come back as too expensive or not able to source a stone, then it seems like it would be fitting to continue with the return and pursue the refund. At least you gave them a chance rather than just picking a diamond online and leaving the jeweler with a finished ring and no opportunity to offer alternatives.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Travelgal|1459312344|4012979 said:
It seems to me that if you bought the stone at the store and they sent it to tacori for setting, the return period would start when they received the ring back and were able to ship it to you. If we ask a jeweler to hold something just to extend the return window while continuing to look for other options, that doesn't "feel" right. It also doesn't "feel" right not to give the jeweler the opportunity to continue the sale with you and locate another stone. If they come back as too expensive or not able to source a stone, then it seems like it would be fitting to continue with the return and pursue the refund. At least you gave them a chance rather than just picking a diamond online and leaving the jeweler with a finished ring and no opportunity to offer alternatives.
I think that's fair - but that would still start the period at March 8th. Tacori took 4 weeks to send the ring to the jeweler, so it gets into the grey area there. Does it start from actual purchase date, or when the ring was 'ready'.

Any updates OP?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The diamond was purchased separately on an earlier date. He has a sales receipt for the diamond. He has another sales receipt on a different date for the setting. He saw the diamond in the store before buying it. I don't see how the return period didn't start the day the diamond was purchased unless his receipt has a different policy written on it. I wonder if the sales receipt has the policy actually on it? If it doesn't, I guess he could say he didn't know.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

So tomorrow is Thursday - isn't that the proposal day? How did things work out with the ring?

Kanga

Rough_Rock

Ring issues aside, I hope tomorrow is beautiful and memorable for both of you. Good luck!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results