shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have real Japanese Kazumi pearls?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to see a photo. Internet is full of everything, starting with pond slime and ending with Kazumi from China, but I am not sure it is easy to find real Japanese Kazumi pearls. If anyone has them, can he/she post a photo? And - also - where does one buy real Japanese ones?

Thank you

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_8606 (2).JPG Sarah at Kojima pearls sells them. She is a authorized vendor and you can see her often shopping at Lake Kasumi Ga Ura. This photo was taken last weekend in Los Angeles at the pearl guide ruckus.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
She also sells the non rippled Lake Kasumi freshwaters. I have one.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
They are still on Sarah's website for sale.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a golden purple Japanese Kasumi pearl I bought loose from Sarah at Kojima Pearls a couple years ago - it is really beautiful - I haven't done anything with it as I have quite a backlog of setting projects for my CS collection... but everytime I pull it out I so appreciate its lustre and colors!

4152803.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
14k Pink Tourmaline Lake Kasumi earrings from Kojima pearls . I took this also last weekend.
IMG_8670 (2).JPG

Love the idea. Tourmaline is not my favorite stone. Maybe she will have something without the tourmalines, too (I appreciate the setting, beautiful!)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a golden purple Japanese Kasumi pearl I bought loose from Sarah at Kojima Pearls a couple years ago - it is really beautiful - I haven't done anything with it as I have quite a backlog of setting projects for my CS collection... but everytime I pull it out I so appreciate its lustre and colors!

4152803.jpg
Beautiful!

Suchi

Rough_Rock
IMG_20170607_140915_01.jpg
Here is my pair of simple Japan Kasumi dangles from kojima, purchased in this year's mother's day sale

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of Kasumi pearls that I got from Kojima too. They're beautiful!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
14k Pink Tourmaline Lake Kasumi earrings from Kojima pearls . I took this also last weekend.
IMG_8670 (2).JPG

Wheeee! Those Kasumi earrings are mine! The necklace is Chinese ripples, for comparison. I bought them at the same time, and they look great together. Kojima also had some Kasumi necklaces, but I liked this Chinese ripple necklace better. Each pearl, either Kasumi or Chinese ripples are unique, so you can't always say that one is better than the other.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
YAY! I am so glad you bought them. They were so pretty on you.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_8670.JPG That necklace and earrings were so pretty. I am so glad you got them.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_8670.JPG That necklace and earrings were so pretty. I am so glad you got them.

Are those the strand of Chinese ripples she has on her website?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Arkteia!
Here below you can find my Japanese Kasumi pearl studs, purchased from Kojima Pearls.
I love them.

kasumi_2.jpg kasumi_1.jpg

Fantastic colors! They have something similar but from China now. Still, beautiful colors.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Are those the strand of Chinese ripples she has on her website?

Nope! I bought these 2 weeks ago. Kojima has several different Chinese ripples on her website. She'll send you photos if you want to see them all side by side to see the difference. She could even put the Kasumi strand in there for comparison. Every strand is unique and looks different.

LtypeI

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Another vote for Sarah at Kojima if you want genuine Kasumi pearls. Chinese freshwater ripples are also beautiful, but Kojima is one of the few vendors that has the real deal Kasumi pearls. And Sarah has a great eye for picking outstanding pearls.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wheeee! Those Kasumi earrings are mine! The necklace is Chinese ripples, for comparison. I bought them at the same time, and they look great together. Kojima also had some Kasumi necklaces, but I liked this Chinese ripple necklace better. Each pearl, either Kasumi or Chinese ripples are unique, so you can't always say that one is better than the other.

Congratulations! On Nacre Lover, they remind me of a sea at sunset - a bright sunlit way throwing rays of rainbow in all directions. And the necklace is gorgeous.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock

Wow, NacreLover, you really captured the colors and luster of my necklace and earrings. Thanks for the great photo!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! for camera phone.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Another place you can check is Ehret Design Gallery on Ebay and ETSY - They often have Kasumi pearls as well as Robert Wan Tahitians and Sea of Cortez pearls.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bought several Sea of Cortez from them for own project, also bought one from the initial producers of these pearls, and got to understand what exactly I need (to be honest, the one i really crave is on Columbia House site, but expensive).

All Kazumis I bought so far from different vendors are not impressive, maybe I need someone with perfect eye for them.

Three vendors I am buying from on eBay, including Ehret, Augustus and Pearl Society, I consider trusted.

Mukti

Shiny_Rock
I have a pair of genuine Kasumi pearl earrings. I purchased them from Kojima. The colors are just wonderful. So far, I'd only buy from Kojima for genuine Kasumi pearls.
Honestly, it's not easy for me to distinguish real Kasumi from Chinese ripple pearls.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of genuine Kasumi pearl earrings. I purchased them from Kojima. The colors are just wonderful. So far, I'd only buy from Kojima for genuine Kasumi pearls.
Honestly, it's not easy for me to distinguish real Kasumi from Chinese ripple pearls.

Does it even matter then, lol? If the pearls look the same, who cares if they are from China, or from Japan? Or does it matter?

On a side note - about five years ago, I asked a Nordstrom salesman, "Why is this Gucci handbag so expensive? It does not even look pretty". Made in France, the salesman said, adding, "in ten years, all Gucci bags will be already made in China".

Five years later, probably 1/2 of designer bags are made in China. Probably the same is happening to pearls, and as long as the vendors are not selling colored freshwater pearls for seawater ones (because this is misrepresentation - I have big question about many "Tahitians"), where the pearls grow probably matters less than we think. Or am i wrong?

Last edited:

Mukti

Shiny_Rock
For some people it does matter for them that they get real Kasumi pearls. Maybe just like some people want to get real champagne from France instead of just any bubbly wine sold as champagne.
Another thing to consider is that real Kasumi pearls are rare. Since the lake Kasumi was once polluted the number of pearl farmers has dropped significantly.
If it's the colors that you look for, and don't care much about the origin, I'd personally choose Chinese ripple pearls for a fraction of the price of real Kasumi pearls :roll.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some people it does matter for them that they get real Kasumi pearls. Maybe just like some people want to get real champagne from France instead of just any bubbly wine sold as champagne.
Another thing to consider is that real Kasumi pearls are rare. Since the lake Kasumi was once polluted the number of pearl farmers has dropped significantly.
If it's the colors that you look for, and don't care much about the origin, I'd personally choose Chinese ripple pearls for a fraction of the price of real Kasumi pearls :roll.

I am one of these despicable who thinks all champagnes are "bubbly sour wines", lol, but I hope i could tell a Jack Daniel's from a Glenlivet ;-)

How are the original Kazumi pearls different from the rest? Visually?

Mukti

Shiny_Rock
I have a pair of genuine Kasumi pearls from Kojima. So, yes I have seen them. The only difference I feel is the weight. It seems to me, my genuine Kasumi pearls are lighter than Chinese ripple pearls of the same size and shape =)2
. I don't know if it has something to do with the nucleus. Real Kasumis are nucleated with freshwater mussel shell beads - that's what I read. While the nucleus of the Chinese ones are a subject of scrutiny. I think there's a thread about it here on PS if you are interested ;-).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results