shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have a dog who's had BOAS surgery?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such great news @Lorelei! Sounds like he’ll be a new dog and will feel all sorts of so much better. Long may the great healing continue!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Fox!

I was a little worried yesterday afternoon, he was quiet and didn't want to eat so I called the centre and spoke to his surgeon. We juggled his meds a bit and upped his pain relief and this morning, much better thank goodness! It's an anxious time with the recovery but we're getting there.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, we're a week post procedure and he's doing well, his Mummy however is a nervous wreck. So many things to watch for, especially vomiting which would mean he would have to go straight back for a metoclopramide drip, because of the risk of aspiration.

His appetite was down so now he's off all medicines, including the anti nausea which his team thought might be affecting his appetite and he seems fine touch wood.

But he's much brighter, his breathing is now so quiet which makes me panic because I'm not used to it! He has to be hand fed for another week which he hates, believe it or not. He gets frustrated because he wants to dig into his dinner and there's a hovering apparition fussing and fretting and playing planes with his food.....:roll2:

No wonder the poor little soul is fed up!:rolleyes:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww poor sweetheart but so relieved and thrilled he’s doing well. More good thoughts and healing dust being sent his way. And (((hugs))) to both of you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
10 days post and I'd say he's about back to normal touch wood.

I was watching him outside earlier, it's a warm day and he was bustling about enjoying himself. He was panting a bit so I scooped him up and took him back inside, but nowhere near as bad as he would have been pre procedure.

Another few days and I can stop hand feeding him his dinner, he's really getting annoyed with me, especially as Daddy bought him Cesar steak with eggs variety, he wants to be able to enjoy it without me hovering. But a few more days and he can!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy to hear of his continued progress!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you MGR!!

So, we're 12 days post procedure and he's now been signed off by his vet!! I'm still hand feeding him according to instructions, that has to be for 2 weeks, so till the end of the week. He still hates it but not much longer to go and I always do everything by the book.

It's very warm in England today so we ran the air conditioner till the car was frosty then took him, he got a bit warm in the vets but was panting normally, nothing like he was, so that's a huge plus! He passed his exam with flying colours so all is good, almost there.:appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad your furbaby is doing well Lorelei! Sounds like he is much more comfortable now, must be so great to see - very happy about the good outcome! :appl:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just updating, we're now coming up 6 weeks post procedure and he's doing great! I've watched him very very carefully and at one point was worried he was developing a slight infection, so I rushed him to the vets and his temperature was up a little, so he went on antibiotics as a precaution for a week but thankfully whatever it was, I caught it quickly.

I've had to be really careful with him due to the hot weather, we've been using vacation time to do some jobs around the home and keeping a close eye on him but the difference is remarkable. He copes with warm weather far better and although he'll always need special care and will never be like a normal dog, the difference is amazing. When he pants, he sounds like a normal dog and he can run now without getting out of breath!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news!

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just updating, we're now coming up 6 weeks post procedure and he's doing great! I've watched him very very carefully and at one point was worried he was developing a slight infection, so I rushed him to the vets and his temperature was up a little, so he went on antibiotics as a precaution for a week but thankfully whatever it was, I caught it quickly.

I've had to be really careful with him due to the hot weather, we've been using vacation time to do some jobs around the home and keeping a close eye on him but the difference is remarkable. He copes with warm weather far better and although he'll always need special care and will never be like a normal dog, the difference is amazing. When he pants, he sounds like a normal dog and he can run now without getting out of breath!

Glad to hear!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results