shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Anyone Else Feel Close To Panic?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We currently have an outbreak in Victoria.

They are FULLY locking everyone down. Everything is closed except for groceries, post office, bottle shop (lol how is this essential), pharmacies

Everything else is closed. People are under curfew from 8pm to 5am. Only reason you should be out is if you are going to work, getting care or giving care.

Grocery stores are closing at 8pm.

If this does work and Victoria's numbers do go down drastically, I really think the US should subscribe to it! But we shall see if it works!

Victoria's and the UK lockdowns were neither as locked down as ours was although i did read Victoria is having a curfew this time around

We all basically live on islands, so its heartbreaking you guys are having new deaths while we are catching new cases at the boarder with zero community transmission

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nope
stop paying attention to the media bs for a week .... you will feel better

I watch news from legit sources that keeps me up to date on the latest developments regarding what I can do to stay safer ... this makes me feel better.

Not all news is bs or fake.
That's a sinister lie from Trump and the right that lets them get away with evil.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t feel panic, not even with the prospect of returning to the classroom in a few weeks.

Uncomfortable and a little anxious, yes somewhat. I simply cannot do my job and social distance. It is just not possible with the population that I teach. But they need me and I need them, so we will do what needs to be done. :pray:

I do read a lot of the news because then I will have my own opinions based on my research. That’s all we can do.

Stay safe all!

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I do not watch the news on TV, I keep up to date with Covid-19 related issues via online newspapers and news apps.

At this moment in time, I would stick to my initial gut feel when the restrictions started to lift in UK and England back in May 2020, in that it was way too soon.

The situations in UK, and in other countries are still too unstable for my liking. Hence I am not venturing much beyond the safety of my own home and car, and only go out and about to places that I have accessed as safe where social distancing is possible and/or practically applied.

If and when I want to go somewhere, I would perform my own due diligence.

For instance, before UK government's decision halt lifting of restrictions announced last Thursday, there was a plan for indoor choir practice to resume this week on Thursday 06 Aug 2020. However, I decided not to participate as I did not feel safe to do so. Instead, an outdoor gathering will take place instead now with limited numbers as per government's guidelines.

Another example is that, one of the restaurants in a town close to me that I frequent is participating in the government's Eat Out To Help Out scheme in August. However, I decided not to go there as the town is one of the current Covid-19 hot spots.

I am concerned about not being able to fly out to Vancouver to visit my mum and brother as the trip in May/June 2020 was cancelled due to Covid-19. She has had some health issues in recent months. However, the border is still shut for travellers from UK as far as I am aware.

I have planned to fly out there via Tucson next February 2021; again, it is up in the air as I really do not feel like travelling to USA at the moment. I may fly directly to Vancouver and skip Tucson and go there another time.

On a happier and more optimistic note, I already have 3 theatre trips booked in London for 2021, and a pop concert for 2022!

Also, my campervan should be ready by the end of October 2020, enabling me to have some staycations using my own onboard facilities even if I can't pop across the English Channel to go to Mainland Europe.

Onwards and upwards. Life can be better, however, it could also be a lot worse!

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF Deb, you're experiencing pandemic fatigue probably. I've had it plenty and to get my mind straight I have to stop watching the news so much. Plus I sew masks for others and see and hear first hand things that can make it worse. Yes we all want to know whats going on but 24/hour news cycles is actually bad for us. We need to know when to take breaks from it and sounds like you're due for one.

I'm at current suffering from Hurricane fatigue too... But its life, it keeps moving with or without you, but its a messed up year to be honest.

I went back to doing Mindful Yoga this year and its helped keep my anxiety in check. I think sometimes you have to for the sake of your own sanity, let your mind think of other things. Because of the type of work I do I see/hear more than I want to....lol So yeah, I still go out for walks and I ride my bike just to get away from my house sometimes. We also will picnic in the backyard just to get some sun.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We currently have an outbreak in Victoria.

They are FULLY locking everyone down. Everything is closed except for groceries, post office, bottle shop (lol how is this essential), pharmacies

Everything else is closed. People are under curfew from 8pm to 5am. Only reason you should be out is if you are going to work, getting care or giving care.

Grocery stores are closing at 8pm.

If this does work and Victoria's numbers do go down drastically, I really think the US should subscribe to it! But we shall see if it works!

I agree. Our lock down here in the UK was the same, except there technically wasn't a curfew. You were only allowed out for an hour once a day for exercise though, so the police were permitted to stop you & question you if they thought it necessary. And our supermarkets all had restricted hours with very long queues outside. We did a big, big shop every 10 days & used the freezer way more than usual. But we are still operating like this & it's fine. I don't miss just "popping here or there" for things at all.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I do not watch the news on TV, I keep up to date with Covid-19 related issues via online newspapers and news apps.

At this moment in time, I would stick to my initial gut feel when the restrictions started to lift in UK and England back in May 2020, in that it was way too soon.

The situations in UK, and in other countries are still too unstable for my liking. Hence I am not venturing much beyond the safety of my own home and car, and only go out and about to places that I have accessed as safe where social distancing is possible and/or practically applied.

If and when I want to go somewhere, I would perform my own due diligence.

For instance, before UK government's decision halt lifting of restrictions announced last Thursday, there was a plan for indoor choir practice to resume this week on Thursday 06 Aug 2020. However, I decided not to participate as I did not feel safe to do so. Instead, an outdoor gathering will take place instead now with limited numbers as per government's guidelines.

Another example is that, one of the restaurants in a town close to me that I frequent is participating in the government's Eat Out To Help Out scheme in August. However, I decided not to go there as the town is one of the current Covid-19 hot spots.

I am concerned about not being able to fly out to Vancouver to visit my mum and brother as the trip in May/June 2020 was cancelled due to Covid-19. She has had some health issues in recent months. However, the border is still shut for travellers from UK as far as I am aware.

I have planned to fly out there via Tucson next February 2021; again, it is up in the air as I really do not feel like travelling to USA at the moment. I may fly directly to Vancouver and skip Tucson and go there another time.

On a happier and more optimistic note, I already have 3 theatre trips booked in London for 2021, and a pop concert for 2022!

Also, my campervan should be ready by the end of October 2020, enabling me to have some staycations using my own onboard facilities even if I can't pop across the English Channel to go to Mainland Europe.

Onwards and upwards. Life can be better, however, it could also be a lot worse!

I had two gigs booked for November too, but thankfully both have been rearranged for May 2021, covid permitting by that point. I am much happier that they haven't been cancelled altogether, but also happy to wait.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had two gigs booked for November too, but thankfully both have been rearranged for May 2021, covid permitting by that point. I am much happier that they haven't been cancelled altogether, but also happy to wait.

One of the theatre trips in 2021 is a re-scheduled one postponed from August 2020.

The other 2 are new, and are rare silver linings of Covid-19, in that I could not get tickets for them for their original runs in 2020 as I was too slow off the mark. As soon as I heard about their re-scheduled dates, I managed to book for 2021 successfully.

Fingers firmly crossed for a vaccine to be found soon etc., etc...

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@dk168 All this time that I've looked at your avatar I never realized there's a kitty on top of or next to your dog! Adorable!

I don't feel panic, but cases have been steadily low here in Maine, about 25/day. The state gave all counties permission for in person school if safety precautions can be met. Our school board hasn't said what we'll actually do in our district but I will be surprised if we go in person for all. If we do, I will be concerned, but not panicking. They will have to shut down at the first case. I am no more likely to be exposed to that as I am at the supermarket or outdoor restaurants that I've gone to in the past few weeks. Like @redwood66 I tend not to panic about things* because, what's the point? (*Although highway driving is a complete other story.)

@Bayek, I'm sad about not being able to see my mother or daughter...and not knowing when I will be able to.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The good doctor is prescribing a solution to an economic situation without having half a brain as to how the national debt works. In fact, I think most people who call for this type of "solution" probably think this money just comes naturally offer can be printed freely. They do not even understand the consequences.

???

The quote wasn't from a doctor, it was from Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank President Neel Kashkari. I would think he knows all about how national debt works? I don't, and am inclined to take his word for it.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in Canada, so it's a little different. We were locked down completely for quite a while, and are just opening up in stages now. But still, I have moments of sheer panic. My husband went to the US then on to eastern europe. He is the one we worry the most about because he is the most vulnerable. I was panicked about this trip. I'm thankful he's coming home today.

I feel like this pandemic has thrown us into a grieving process that is definitely protracted. We don't know how it will end, or if it will end. I have to believe there is an end point, and I want to live to see that. In the meantime, I'll do what I have to do. Face masks aren't going away. I keep ordering more.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not wearing a shield. That was just for the day of the funeral and wake and burial. Now we only wear masks in stores. Tho perhaps we need to re-evaluate. We went to Brooklyn yesterday and everyone was wearing masks outside. Unlike NJ people. What can I say? Brooklynites are smarter if I had to generalize from that fact.

:/

Thanks and you too. Please stay safe. People are their own worst enemies. Just look at our beaches. Sheesh.

Everywhere I've been in NJ every single person has been masked. Every one. You can't enter a facility without a mask and there are signs to that effect. I'm sure at the shore, which has a lot of out of state tourists, there may be less mask wearing. I dont know because I'm not interested in being around a lot of people at the beach.

Going to get my test today, plus check for antibodies.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everywhere I've been in NJ every single person has been masked. Every one. You can't enter a facility without a mask and there are signs to that effect. I'm sure at the shore, which has a lot of out of state tourists, there may be less mask wearing. I dont know because I'm not interested in being around a lot of people at the beach.

Going to get my test today, plus check for antibodies.

In stores, yes. Outside when one cannot social distance however, no. I’m in Monmouth county but we’ve been in Ocean county as well. Plus more urban NJ areas. My experience is nobody outside that we see is wearing masks.

Good luck on your antibody test today.

We’re cycling in Sandy Hook now and wow there’s so many deer here today. They’re not wearing masks either :lol:

895A0B91-3865-4BEE-9111-52267CD9E635.jpeg

0A1AD76C-F5D7-4DC5-BB92-90FC66503505.jpeg

84D1574D-0337-4E3B-B200-C29EE4E4C309.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Brooklyn (nearly) everyone we see is masked. Outside (even when no one else is near them) as well as indoors in stores.

0714A771-C3A1-4199-8C07-263B9D2AACBA.jpeg

82585158-96DA-43E3-B9CF-2982F3032EC4.jpeg

CFA61279-D9F7-42EA-8B1C-626036DB8356.jpeg

810C709A-4607-4827-8910-776E27287B0E.jpeg

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not panicked for myself. I have the luxury of staying home as much as necessary, but I do worry about people who have no choice other than to go back to work or live in crowded conditions or multigenerational families. My heart breaks for all the people who have lost someone, so many unnecessarily.

When I let my mind run away, I do get hit with a wave of fear over the long-term effects of this. It doesn't take much to tip me over into worrying about potential disruption to international supply chains, etc. (you do not want to know the paucity of the stockpiles of necessary medicines in an awful lot of countries). I worry about my young adult child in a different country and when we'll be able to see him or other family again. Worry about my parents who are healthy but at an age where this could potentially be very bad and how they're coping with having to stay in-- they're used to being very busy and active. I make a point of always calling them on their landline so I know they're really at home.

And I worry over how much impotent anger I feel over the way this has been handled. I read Andy Slavitt who says the good news is that we're 4 weeks away from ending this thing, the bad news is that we've ALWAYS been 4 weeks away from ending it, we just have to take the necessary steps. And get so angry at the false dichotomy between saving the economy and saving lives, masks vs no masks. It can't be healthy to be as furious as I am over this.

ETA: then I go to Show Me the Bling! and cheer myself up with looking at everyone's gorgeous sparklies. It helps remind me that some frivolity is a necessary ingredient.

Also tend to stay away from TV news, but I do read a lot.

Hugs, Deb. Stay focused on the things you can do instead of what you can't, take care of yourself and your loved ones.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In stores, yes. Outside when one cannot social distance however, no. I’m in Monmouth county but we’ve been in Ocean county as well. Plus more urban NJ areas. My experience is nobody outside that we see is wearing masks.

Good luck on your antibody test today.

We’re cycling in Sandy Hook now and wow there’s so many deer here today. They’re not wearing masks either :lol:

895A0B91-3865-4BEE-9111-52267CD9E635.jpeg

0A1AD76C-F5D7-4DC5-BB92-90FC66503505.jpeg

84D1574D-0337-4E3B-B200-C29EE4E4C309.jpeg

Well I haven't been to the shore but in the parks around here people are masked up outside. People walk on the roads here and they're masked up. Unfortunately the park just across the way has been closed since March; my daughter and I can't figure out why.

Q

Queenie60

No I am not in a panic. I continue to live my life while exercising precautions. There's so much information coming at us that I don't know what is true and what is not true. How the numbers are being calculated and data collected. We don't know, we only know what the Government is choosing to tell us. So, my common sense tells me to exercise all necessary precautions - this is my way of taking control of the situation.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Below is detailed worldwide data on coronavirus cases from Johns Hopkins.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Sometimes, yes. I'm constantly talking myself down. I work in crowds at a busy terminal so THAT ain't helping I imagine.
Then I take a deep breath and deal with the here and now, and try to stop worrying about the future. I try.

Maybe try some meditation AGBF, if you aren't already?

voce

Ideal_Rock
???

The quote wasn't from a doctor, it was from Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank President Neel Kashkari. I would think he knows all about how national debt works? I don't, and am inclined to take his word for it.

Oh, he would understand how the national debt works. The Federal Reserve is a private corporation that prints money as a service to the US government, and the Federal Reserve (a profit seeking corporation) makes money off of the interest it charges the US government. They don't do it for free. If you want to know who's at the very top of the economy, it's not the guys like George Soros who are the richest. It's the undisclosed shareholders of the Federal Reserve and the other Central banks around the world.

When the economy is doing well, they collect payments from the government and make lots of money. When the economy isn't doing well, they ease things and make more credit available, but make no mistake that the central bankers only get richer when national governments loan more money from them. So a bank President does have an incentive to recommend that the bank's client take out another loan, has at least personal motives for doing so apart from the other motive of the national public interest, and is definitely not to be considered an impartial observer.

I doubt even 1% of the US population understands that the Federal Reserve is a private and profit-making corporation with shareholders protected by confidentiality. I think most citizens assume that with a name like the Federal Reserve, they are only working for the public good. In reality, they're a private company with a monopoly that the government has come to rely on.

There are theories that JFK was assassinated because he had planned to do away from the Federal Reserve system. Similar thing with Andrew Jackson and Lincoln.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my greatest fear is that the virus will change or a new virus will arise before we've handled this one. I won't be one of the survivors. If an extinction event were to happen, I wouldn't even want to survive. I feel like a very very tiny percent of the world population would survive the longest. The very rich, as they always get the best of everything. Just the world we live in.

I wish we were all working together on this, but it's a mess. Politics and scheming to get supplies hoarded so other countries have nothing. I feel like vaccines will be the same way. So yeah, when I stop and think, I panic. When I don't think at all, it's okay a day at a time.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, he would understand how the national debt works. The Federal Reserve is a private corporation that prints money as a service to the US government, and the Federal Reserve (a profit seeking corporation) makes money off of the interest it charges the US government. ...

But the Federal Reserve isn't exactly a private corporation, although it is run independently from the federal government. According to Wikipedia it transfers most of its profits to the US Treasury.

"The federal government sets the salaries of the board's seven governors, and it receives all the system's annual profits, after a statutory dividend of 6% on member banks' capital investment is paid, and an account surplus is maintained. In 2015, the Federal Reserve earned a net income of $100.2 billion and transferred $97.7 billion to the U.S. Treasury.[25] Although an instrument of the US Government, the Federal Reserve System considers itself "an independent central bank because its monetary policy decisions do not have to be approved by the President or anyone else in the executive or legislative branches of government, it does not receive funding appropriated by Congress, and the terms of the members of the board of governors span multiple presidential and congressional terms."

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When this all broke here at the beginning of March, we were due to go on holiday, and the weekend before we were due to fly, I read there was one case in St Lucia brought in by a tourist. I knew then it would get cancelled, and of course it was. I then avidly read everything, watched every news broadcast, tuned in every day for the government briefing, and there were times I felt overwhelmed.

We made the conscious decision a few weeks ago, to turn off the TV and just not immerse ourselves in every single thing about the pandemic. Now I read selected articles, (still don’t watch anything about it on TV) and I feel a lot calmer. I think I just go overloaded with all the bad news and it definitely affected me more than I realised.

We’re easing out of lockdown here (UK) and although there have been spikes, those areas have had measures reimposed, but where we are, we do have a kind of ‘normality’. The big turning point for me was when we could actually drive somewhere to exercise, and meet with a friend outdoors. Since then, we can meet friends in their garden (up to 6 people) which we’ve done, and it’s been great.

The big downside is my son lives in the US and I haven’t seen him since December 30th 2019, and probably won’t see him again till next year sometime, thank goodness for FaceTime.

voce

Ideal_Rock
But the Federal Reserve isn't exactly a private corporation, although it is run independently from the federal government. According to Wikipedia it transfers most of its profits to the US Treasury.

"The federal government sets the salaries of the board's seven governors, and it receives all the system's annual profits, after a statutory dividend of 6% on member banks' capital investment is paid, and an account surplus is maintained. In 2015, the Federal Reserve earned a net income of $100.2 billion and transferred $97.7 billion to the U.S. Treasury.[25] Although an instrument of the US Government, the Federal Reserve System considers itself "an independent central bank because its monetary policy decisions do not have to be approved by the President or anyone else in the executive or legislative branches of government, it does not receive funding appropriated by Congress, and the terms of the members of the board of governors span multiple presidential and congressional terms."

There is a statutory dividend of 6% on investments before the profit is transferred to the Treasury. That's plenty of profit built-in that the US government will not see. Yes, the federal government appoints governors, and sets their salaries but after the governors have served their terms, they go on to other professional roles in the finance industry. Wouldn't it be beneficial for their futures for them to please the shareholders who have investments in the Federal Reserve? This is where their personal motive might come in.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a statutory dividend of 6% on investments before the profit is transferred to the Treasury. That's plenty of profit built-in that the US government will not see. Yes, the federal government appoints governors, and sets their salaries but after the governors have served their terms, they go on to other professional roles in the finance industry. Wouldn't it be beneficial for their futures for them to please the shareholders who have investments in the Federal Reserve? This is where their personal motive might come in.

I'm confused. In your other post it seemed that you were against a doctor saying that we should lock down hard for a month and not worry about the economy because we can recover later as debt is cheap. You thought this was a brainless misunderstanding of how national debt works. Now are you saying that it's not brainless, but self-serving because a Fed Reserve officer said it? Just trying to understand your position.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
???

He is sharp as a tack about finance. I have never heard that he has any medical knowledge or has earned a doctorate, but I don't really know his whole biography. He came on the scene (or at least to my notice) because he was brilliant during the 2008 recession.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I just read that Dr. Birx said that the country is entering a new phase of the pandemic and that now people in certain areas should wear masks in their houses if they live with vulnerable individuals. My age would make me one of them. Meanwhile president of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank Neel Kashkari (who used to run the TARP program under George W, Bush, one my husband worked on during the recession of 2008 is saying that severe lockdowns for a month to six weeks are necessary to save the country from more job losses and more bankruptcies.His focus is purely on the economy.

I'm confused. In your other post it seemed that you were against a doctor saying that we should lock down hard for a month and not worry about the economy because we can recover later as debt is cheap. You thought this was a brainless misunderstanding of how national debt works. Now are you saying that it's not brainless, but self-serving because a Fed Reserve officer said it? Just trying to understand your position.

When I wrote my first post on this thread, I had misread what AGBF posted. My eyes saw Dr. Birx and then saw the bolded sections. It completely skipped over the words "Neel Kashkari." And my initial response was that Dr. Birx shouldn't be prescribing what the solution is, given economic consequences.

I think Kashkari's position leads people to give him more credit than he deserves, as people generally trust the Federal Reserve almost blindly. To me he's not some authoritative figure prophesying THE TRUTH, but just airs his personal opinion.

Medicine is more of a science than economics is. Economists have no predictive power if their assumptions are not correct. They can only find ways to explain what happens after the fact, or else the hedge fund founded by Nobel Laureate economists wouldn't have gone broke in the financial crisis of 2008.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I wrote my first post on this thread, I had misread what AGBF posted. My eyes saw Dr. Birx and then saw the bolded sections. It completely skipped over the words "Neel Kashkari." And my initial response was that Dr. Birx shouldn't be prescribing what the solution is, given economic consequences.

I think Kashkari's position leads people to give him more credit than he deserves, as people generally trust the Federal Reserve almost blindly. To me he's not some authoritative figure prophesying THE TRUTH, but just airs his personal opinion.

Medicine is more of a science than economics is. Economists have no predictive power if their assumptions are not correct. They can only find ways to explain what happens after the fact, or else the hedge fund founded by Nobel Laureate economists wouldn't have gone broke in the financial crisis of 2008.

I think most people don't have a clue about the federal reserve (me included, thanks for the primer). As for who/what has more credibility, I think it comes down to which frightens you more...killing people or killing the economy.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
No, I do not feel panic.

Where I am, we have already lived through the worst. In a state of just under 7 million people, we had fewer than 100 new cases yesterday. And that's new cases - not hospitalizations, not deaths - positive tests. Over a million people have been tested. More than 10,000 were tested yesterday. Fewer than 100 new positives.

This means, to me, that locking down MY life and my neighbor's lives, because of what is happening 1200 miles away in Florida, is not going to solve anything.

I have zero faith that a vaccine against coronavirus will provide any sort of durable immunity and I wouldn't take one if it were offered to me. Therefore, I'm not willing to wait for it in order to resume my life. And I really, really feel for all these business owners who were arbitrarily deemed "nonessential" and left to basically fend for themselves. Jeff Bezos makes $1b a day, and they are going to be out of business because they can't be open and he can be. Unfair and does nothing to help slow a pandemic.

If the economy is dead, a lot more people will die, be it suicide, drug addiction, or the general health impacts of poverty and desperation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results