shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Anyone Else Feel Close To Panic?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read that Dr. Birx said that the country is entering a new phase of the pandemic and that now people in certain areas should wear masks in their houses if they live with vulnerable individuals. My age would make me one of them. Meanwhile president of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank Neel Kashkari (who used to run the TARP program under George W, Bush, one my husband worked on during the recession of 2008 is saying that severe lockdowns for a month to six weeks are necessary to save the country from more job losses and more bankruptcies.His focus is purely on the economy.

He also said that given the low cost of issuing debt, the government has room to spend to support the American economy.

"'If we were to lock down hard for a month or six weeks, we could get the case count down, so that our testing and our contact tracing was actually enough to control it,' he said.'If we don’t do that, and we have this raging virus spreading throughout the country with flare-ups and local lockdowns for the next year or two, which is entirely possible, we’re going to see many, many more business bankruptcies.'

'Congress should use this opportunity to support the American people, and the American economy,' he said. 'If we get the economy growing, we will be able to pay off the debt.'”

I am worried, too, about the huge projected death tolls for August (182,000 people in the US expected to die by late August). We are projected to be dying in record numbers over the next three weeks.

I am ready to panic.I was not this frightened when the pandemic flared up in my geographic area in March and April. This seems overwhelming to me. How about you?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not me.
I don't feel close to panic.

I feel calm since I take all the recommended precautions - and then some!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not me. My life will go on.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
When I get discouraged, I go through this quick little thing in my mind, about myself and my few closest people. After reminding myself that everyone is okay, I feel better and go on. I definitely understand. Hard times and uncertainty are upon us, that's for sure.

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I was more panicked at the beginning now it's like, okay lockdown again let me stock up on chocolate and my favorite wine.

On a serious note I think it is understandable to feel panicked now and again, these are unprecedented times and many are not in control of their lives and livelihoods and there is a lot of unrest and uncertainty.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He also said that given the low cost of issuing debt, the government has room to spend to support the American economy.

'Congress should use this opportunity to support the American people, and the American economy,' he said. 'If we get the economy growing, we will be able to pay off the debt.'”
What a foolish statement to make. Does he think anybody with half a brain is gonna believe that? :rolleyes::wall:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have intermittent bouts of panic about the entire scope of the pandemic's effects on the US in particular and the world in general. So many people suffering loss of jobs, homes, loved ones. The cascading effect of this darn virus is monumental and then there's general stress about what happens in November. So, yeah, I might be putting vodka on my Cheerios for a bit longer.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel bad that you feel close to panic and wish you peace. I know people are fearful and some people have lost people they love. I do not want to discount anyone's emotions or their losses. As for me, I feel very calm and I do not feel overwhelmed at this point.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Not panicking but worrying a lot. It is not directly related to the virus. Generally feel very depressed but don't want to be taking antidepressants this time.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, since I now know a kid who died and my friend who had it and exposed me.

A different friend’s friend— 45 years old and who graduated with my sister— died a few days before David.

Definitely feels like it’s closing in...

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
It is sometimes an overwhelming situation so I'm sorry you are feeling close to panic.

We all have different ways of dealing with anxiety. I chose to limit TV news (which is primarily opinions/analysis anyway) months ago. I choose when I want to go retrieve information online (from reputable sources). I get my information and then go back to my normal activities.

I take all precautions, order food online, go virtually nowhere, etc. In other words, focus on the things that I CAN control.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a panicky person. I take the appropriate measures, masks, hand sanitizer, etc. but it all comes down to luck, and I can't do anything about that. Worrying about it is like praying for what I don't want, so I try not to think about it.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely concerned, and some days are better than others. It's important to remember that the only control you have is over your own response, and there's little to be gained from worrying. Easier said than done, I know.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life goes on, the Earth will keep spinning etc...

I just take it a day as it comes, to perform my own risk assessment and due diligent.

Just because the restrictions are slowly lifting in UK/England does not mean I have to follow suit.

My routine has not altered much since lockdown was imposed in March 2020.

Not venturing much beyond the safety of my own home unless I feel comfortable to do so.

DK :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
What a foolish statement to make. Does he think anybody with half a brain is gonna believe that? :rolleyes::wall:

The good doctor is prescribing a solution to an economic situation without having half a brain as to how the national debt works. In fact, I think most people who call for this type of "solution" probably think this money just comes naturally offer can be printed freely. They do not even understand the consequences.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have a healthy kind of worry going on.
As in, I worry about my 80-year-old parents, both of whom are not exactly in tip-top shape.

I worry about sending my daughter to school, but I don't think in-person school will last long at all here. So I worry about how I'm going to wfh and help her with virtual learning again and keep her entertained otherwise.

I worry about hospital bed capacity here because we're about to see 30k college students return and it's just a recipe for disaster. I mean what better way to spread a virus than a sudden influx of that many people to one small town?

I'm battening down the hatches these next 2 weeks and we'll see how it all shakes out. I don't have high hopes, but I'm not afraid, either. I'm more annoyed by all of it and by everyone who refused to listen and mask and socially distance the first few months we were told to. Had we followed advice back then, all of us, and worked together, I don't think we'd be worried about this as much now.

I also continue to live my life while taking all the usual precautions. We've all had time to become acclimated to extra hand washing, sanitizing, masks, and social distancing. There are still a few outlaws here who insist on making ridiculous scenes over the temporary mandatory order to mask while indoors, but they're constantly being shamed on social media and most are more afraid of public shunning than putting on a stupid mask for a few minutes. (I saw one man wearing a Trump 2020 mask in CVS the other day; I motioned for him to go ahead of me in line because maybe these people just need a little extra kindness to warm their cold, dead hearts).

All I can do is live within reasonable confines and try to act responsibly. The rest is out of my control and panic will not help me or anyone through this. It's time for level-headedness and good old American strength, not the mass hysteria both political sides are trying to stir up, mostly successfully. I do not watch any news, haven't for years now. My father is flabbergasted by this; he nearly screeched at me that I must stay informed! Before stating that the left is going to stage a coup and overthrow the government and then we'll be in a dictatorship. Who might the dictator be? Why, George Soros, of course. :roll2: Not to worry--my father has never voted in one single election.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mainly I am concerned for my parents. My 86 year old dad with a myriad of health issues and my mom who is immune- compromised.
We do the best we can do and I try not to let fear and worry paralyze me. That does no good for anyone. We take the measures necessary to stay well and be safe and hope for the best. We cannot let anxiety overcome us. That serves no purpose. Rather a healthy concern for staying safe will hopefully keep us all safe and well.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 5.22.54 AM.png

Oh and yes, I do not watch the news for the most part. Sensationalizing Covid seems the rule of the day re the media and that only intensifies worry and fear.

Stay safe and be well and we will get through this. One day at a time. And when that is overwhelming take it one hour at a time.
(((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cry watching the news
Please wear your masks and if all possible stay home as much as possible

Daisy, please don’t watch the news too much. And thanks for caring about us. Love you girl. ❤️

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Daisy please don’t watch the news too much. And thanks for caring about us. Love you girl. ❤

Im doing my grocery shopping on line and ordering extra tissues :(2

These 2nd waves are just dreadful
was lockdown for nothing ???

My other NJ friend also buys organic fruit and veg and i think please just buy what ever you can from one store and don't trapse all over town looking for organic
I worry about you all
i know your wearing a mask and a shield

Today we went out for the first time since February
Gary had to go get a blood test and the car needed a warrent of fitness then we had fish and chips at the mole down the beach

we have had no community transmissiom for 80 odd days but im still really weary being out and about

all those people going to the beach - not just in the US but in England
What's wrong with people ?- don't they love their grandparents - dont they have friends with compromised immune systems/cancer/ congenital heart defects etc
The present Melbourne situation was caused by security guards having sex with people in quareteen !! WTF ????

Stay safe NJ/Brooklyn
Stay safe everyone

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BIG BIG BIG *HUGGLES* Deb

I will admit I have fleeting moments where I think "Whoa, how are we all going to get out of this hole?"

Or I really, really, really badly want things to be back the way they were pre covid.

But it is what it is. I try to focus on the little mundane problems that tire the body out. Like dealing with the 2kg of pork mince and 6 duck breasts I bought today.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im doing my grocery shopping on line and ordering extra tissues :(2

These 2nd waves are just dreadful
was lockdown for nothing ???

My other NJ friend also buys organic fruit and veg and i think please just buy what ever you can from one store and don't trapse all over town looking for organic
I worry about you all
i know your wearing a mask and a shield

Today we went out for the first time since February
Gary had to go get a blood test and the car needed a warrent of fitness then we had fish and chips at the mole down the beach

we have had no community transmissiom for 80 odd days but im still really weary being out and about

all those people going to the beach - not just in the US but in England
What's wrong with people ?- don't they love their grandparents - dont they have friends with compromised immune systems/cancer/ congenital heart defects etc
The present Melbourne situation was caused by security guards having sex with people in quareteen !! WTF ????

Stay safe NJ/Brooklyn
Stay safe everyone

I’m not wearing a shield. That was just for the day of the funeral and wake and burial. Now we only wear masks in stores. Tho perhaps we need to re-evaluate. We went to Brooklyn yesterday and everyone was wearing masks outside. Unlike NJ people. What can I say? Brooklynites are smarter if I had to generalize from that fact.

:/

Thanks and you too. Please stay safe. People are their own worst enemies. Just look at our beaches. Sheesh.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m not wearing a shield. That was just for the day of the funeral and wake and burial. Now we only wear masks in stores. Tho perhaps we need to re-evaluate. We went to Brooklyn yesterday and everyone was wearing masks outside. Unlike NJ people. What can I say? Brooklynites are smarter if I had to generalize from that fact.

:/

Thanks and you too. Please stay safe. People are their own worst enemies. Just look at our beaches. Sheesh.

This was our ' down the shore' today
20200803_134803.jpg we did see 5 boats come in at once - (Gary said the weather must be changing) but due to their only being one boat ramp they were maintaning social distancing ;)2

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Panic no, it is more this selfish feeling. It’s like... you know what? I order my food online. I don’t go out anywhere unless I absolutely have to. I wear a mask everywhere. I distance myself from others. I wash my hands. I don’t eat out, I don’t go to bars or the beach.

I could still get sick, but it won’t be from lack of trying to stay safe. If other people want to behave this way I can’t stop them. If the government handled this horribly and doesn’t care I can’t stop that either. I’m staying home. Evict me, I really don’t care anymore. It’s this attitude that grew watching this selfishness, I don’t care anymore. If people get sick from careless behavior and other people suffer and die, that’s horrific but I won’t do it if I can help it.

That is what prevents panic for me, the notion of doing everything within my very limited control to keep myself and others safe.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life goes on, the Earth will keep spinning etc...

I just take it a day as it comes, to perform my own risk assessment and due diligent.

Just because the restrictions are slowly lifting in UK/England does not mean I have to follow suit.

My routine has not altered much since lockdown was imposed in March 2020.

Not venturing much beyond the safety of my own home unless I feel comfortable to do so.

DK :))

I'm in England with DK & I'm with her, as are most sensible people here. We had a full UK lock down for many, many weeks (12, I think, before some restrictions were lifted, but my mind isn't sure as when some restrictions eased, we carried on here in full lock down mode), and whilst it flattened the curve & did it's job, it came too late & too many lives were lost. But we did it. The US in general doesn't seem willing to.

There is a new normal here now, but we are having the odd flare up & 4 areas are now back into full localised lock downs. We walked round to our local pub for dinner last week for my husband's birthday. It was the first time we had been anywhere other than the supermarket & school. It felt weird, but they were super strict with measures & we will be happy to go again in a few more weeks, but it certainly won't be the weekly occurance that it used to be. For us, life will carry on as we were in lock down mostly, with caution & distance & copious hand gel. Schools are on summer break until Sept, we zoom quiz & face time family constantly & husband is happily working from home.

The Covid news from the US is extremely alarming, so I try not to watch it at all. The fact the virus is SO virulent there now and yet STILL no super strict " YOU MUST STAY AT HOME, FULL STOP" has been put into place nationwide only makes me mourn the huge losses to come.

My heart hurts for those of you who have lost people to this. My advice, which I followed myself when things got hairy over here, is to stay at home, shop as infrequently as possible with mask & hand sanitiser, exercise every day in your own space, enjoy the garden, watch movies & do yoga. And when restrictions ease, if you don't NEED to go anywhere, just don't go. It really helped us as a family to keep sane & healthy. Look after you.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Covid news from the US is extremely alarming, so I try not to watch it at all. The fact the virus is SO virulent there now and yet STILL no super strict " YOU MUST STAY AT HOME, FULL STOP" has been put into place nationwide only makes me mourn the huge losses to come.

We currently have an outbreak in Victoria.

They are FULLY locking everyone down. Everything is closed except for groceries, post office, bottle shop (lol how is this essential), pharmacies

Everything else is closed. People are under curfew from 8pm to 5am. Only reason you should be out is if you are going to work, getting care or giving care.

Grocery stores are closing at 8pm.

If this does work and Victoria's numbers do go down drastically, I really think the US should subscribe to it! But we shall see if it works!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results