shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Anyone Donate Blood?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 10:54:39 AM
Author: Bleed Burnt Orange
I have three times so far and I would like to do it every time there is a blood drive at work.

Two of the three times I have donated, have not gone so well. The first was in highschool and it resulted in me being wheeled to the nurses office because I was about to pass out. I blame the nurse for being negligent and not insisting I don''t get up right away and eat something and not carry my heavy backpack.

The third time I donated, I don''t think I even finished. I threw up...a LOT and had to sleep for a while on the bus. I had to eat some sweets to recover and I was just drained after that.

I haven''t done it recently because the past two times was right after I got a tattoo and a piercing.

I''m looking forward to the next one.
Um...how can you donate burnt orange blood?
9.gif

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t. On medication plus I have a clotting factor deficiency. Nobody wants my bad blood.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''m not going to lie - I''ve never donated, and it''s all because I''m a scaredy cat. I hate needles, but I can get over that - it''s the overheating and feeling like I''m going to pass out/throw up that freaks me out. When they have to fill up 4 tubes at the doctor''s office, I get dizzy and feel like I''m going to be sick - I can''t imagine a whole pint!

That said, I do meet all of the requirements to donate, so I''ll give it a shot at the next office blood drive. I can put on my big girl pants and try to help.

Fi donates all of the time. I tell him to stop because he is giving away is soul (just kidding!)

I can''t donate because of my teeny tiny veins. I attempted to donate plasma once and... OH boy. I had grapefruit sized bruises on both arms for weeks!... they were able to get some blood out but it just was clotting too fast, so they decided to just put the blood (minus the plasma) back in, and my veins refused that, so I am not allowed to even try to donate.

Now, when I have blood drawn it comes out of the top of my hands. It''s just easier....

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I can''t donate because I have a pre-cancerous blood disorder. I may be a recipient in the future, so I thank all of you that have been donating.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/29/2010 11:39:59 AM
Author: risingsun

I can't donate because I have a pre-cancerous blood disorder. I may be a recipient in the future, so I thank all of you that have been donating.

Marian, you have posted in the past that something was going on...and recently you posted that you are on extended medical leave. How about starting a thread so that we don't have discuss it here? You seem pretty open that your health is interfering with your everyday life. That's something worth talking about, you know!

Major hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I faint every time I give blood (small person) but DH loves to give blood! He says it has the added benefit of taking the excess iron out of his body. He and his friends always sign up for those blood donation trucks and he says he feels great afterwards because it helps others and they get to dispose of their excess iron! Win-win!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 12:23:28 PM
Author: Bliss
I faint every time I give blood (small person) but DH loves to give blood! He says it has the added benefit of taking the excess iron out of his body. He and his friends always sign up for those blood donation trucks and he says he feels great afterwards because it helps others and they get to dispose of their excess iron! Win-win!
Can he send some of that iron my way?
3.gif
I''m always way too low to donate.

Though since I''m the most common blood type, I feel a little less bad about it. My mom is O- and they''re always calling her to come in.

casondra16

Shiny_Rock
I would love to donate, but can''t because I am Type 1 diabetic and take insulin. I had to have several blood transfusions in 2007, as did our 2 yr old when she had O.H. surgery. Now my husband and parents donate every time they can.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 11:10:57 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 1/29/2010 10:54:39 AM
Author: Bleed Burnt Orange
I have three times so far and I would like to do it every time there is a blood drive at work.

Two of the three times I have donated, have not gone so well. The first was in highschool and it resulted in me being wheeled to the nurses office because I was about to pass out. I blame the nurse for being negligent and not insisting I don''t get up right away and eat something and not carry my heavy backpack.

The third time I donated, I don''t think I even finished. I threw up...a LOT and had to sleep for a while on the bus. I had to eat some sweets to recover and I was just drained after that.

I haven''t done it recently because the past two times was right after I got a tattoo and a piercing.

I''m looking forward to the next one.
Um...how can you donate burnt orange blood?
9.gif
LOL!! Good point! Other burnt orange bleeders will benefit, otherwise...I''m chaning the world, one drop at a time.
28.gif

charbie

Ideal_Rock
i used to donate quite often when i was in college (it was on the same campus i believe katamari is referring to...) and loved doing it. there have been a few periods where i couldn''t (darn tattoos...) but had two tramatic experiences back to back so i have taken a bit of a break. havent'' done it in 3 years now.

i passed out twice in the chair, tensed up so badly, that i seriously had a bruise from halfway to my wrist to halfway up my bicep. it was so nasty looking, and pretty painful.

i usually try to drink bottles and bottles of water before donating, since that usually helps the blood flow faster. actually, this reminds me that maybe i should try it again...since i always felt so good mentally after donating before :) thanks!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another low iron person here, so no, they won''t take me.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
I do, I do! I am the advisor to the Junior Red Cross Club at the school I teach at, and we host 2 blood drives per year. I give at both, and sometimes in between. I never gave before, but I figured I had to be a role model by giving to show my students that this is something important. 1 pint saves 3 lives!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I used to donate blood, but last time I tried, my blood pressure was just below their requirement. I told them that I had done it plenty of times before so she let me give that day, but then I fainted. I also don''t meet the 110lb weight requirement.
I''ve been really wanting to start giving again - I guess I just need to eat more cookies!

janlwf

Rough_Rock
Another universal donor (O negative) here. I''ve given blood about +20 times over my lifetime. Although, in my younger days, I was turned away several times for low iron, but lately I''ve been turned away for high blood pressure. Before my doctor would prescribe blood pressure medication though, he prescribed the computerized 24 hour monitor to check for possible ''white coat'' syndrome. I recently received my results, and I don''t have high blood pressure so it is white coat syndrome. Not sure if I am going to try again because it is really embarrassing to leave without giving blood...looks like you had to answer ''yes'' to one of the many sexual partner questions.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
I started donating when I was in high school and have for many years.

Unfortunately last year I was diagnosed with a very rare auto-immune disease (Scleroderma) and a secondary disease that effects circulation (Raynaud''s Disease) so that''s out for me now.

The blood bus sets up at my office every 8 weeks and was actually there yesterday. I was so bummed that I couldn''t donate! Then of course I get teased by my coworkers about "not doing my part". I explain that I''d love to, but can''t for medical reasons... and then I politely beg them for their cookie
2.gif

Andrew1975

Rough_Rock
I should, I''m scared to death of needles but I should.

Did you know that if you have even visited certain African nations (those with high HIV rates) within a certain time frame (I think it''s the last year) you''re not allowed to donate?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to donate all the time but it basically wiped me out for the rest of the day. Very light headed, fatigued and just
want to sleep for the rest of the day. I finally decided that I just couldnt do it any more. I now know that I am
anemic and take iron for it. I still dont give though because my energy level always run low (and I have 3 kids) which
is not a good combination.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 11:16:28 AM
Author: SapphireLover
I can''t. On medication plus I have a clotting factor deficiency. Nobody wants my bad blood.
Small threadjack: Do you mind sharing which deficiency you have? I''m curious since I was diagnosed with MTHFR C677T (hetero) and DVT over the summer.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
As a side note, don''t you guys in the US get paid for your donations?

Anyhoo, in Australia, we don''t get paid, we just do it for the warm and fuzzies
37.gif
. Due to health reasons, we are only allowed to donate whole blood every three months, but can do platelets and sera every two weeks I believe (they filter your blood through a special machine that returns your red blood cells back to you and take other components).

I am O- which is the universal donor and in high demand. I am also CMV- which means I don''t have any antibodies to the CM virus, so I can donate my blood to little babies (CMV antibodies are dangerous to infants). They used to call me up at home to make sure I donated whole blood as often as possible. I used to love donating blood, it really made me feel fabulous, knowing I had helped another person for no other reason but just to do something good.

About 5 years ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and put on methotrexate, so now I am unable to donate. If I change my medication, I may be able to, but methotrexate is on the restricted list, so I can''t do it. I really feel guilty about it too
39.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t donate blood but I wish I could. I think it''s a great thing to do if you can.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I donate blood as often as I can. I have had problems with it though. They almost always have a hard time finding a vein. Once they punctured my vein and I was left with a bruise that literally covered from halfway down my wrist to halfway up my bicep. Another time my blood came out really slowly and ending up not filling the bag. So, then they couldn't use my blood. I also have issues with my iron being too low and then not being able to donate.

But, I always try to donate when there is a drive at work (about twice a year) or whenever I have the time. I also have been trying to get my BF to donate as he has high iron levels and it's actually beneficial for him to donate blood so that his iron levels are just a little bit lower.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in the weak/tiny vein/low blood pressure category too...I did give a couple of times, back in HS...but haven''t recently, since even blood tests are difficult for me!

But DH does donate regularly and in fact, there is a blood drive at our church today and he''s planning to go! And the fact that he has huge veins on his arms really makes it much easier for him and for the nurses who taking the blood.
21.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 12:17:13 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:

I can''t donate because I have a pre-cancerous blood disorder. I may be a recipient in the future, so I thank all of you that have been donating.

Marian, you have posted in the past that something was going on...and recently you posted that you are on extended medical leave. How about starting a thread so that we don''t have discuss it here? You seem pretty open that your health is interfering with your everyday life. That''s something worth talking about, you know!

Major hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif
I will consider it, Deb. Thank you for noticing and caring. It means a great deal to me.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 12:14:55 PM

Date: 1/29/2010 12:17:13 PM

Date:

Marian, you have posted in the past that something was going on...and recently you posted that you are on extended medical leave. How about starting a thread so that we don''t have discuss it here? You seem pretty open that your health is interfering with your everyday life. That''s something worth talking about, you know!

Major hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif
I will consider it, Deb. Thank you for noticing and caring. It means a great deal to me.
Gosh Marian I am so sorry to hear about this! My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am glad to be a donor so I might possibly be of help to those in your situation.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 11:49:40 PM
Author: honey22
As a side note, don''t you guys in the US get paid for your donations?

Anyhoo, in Australia, we don''t get paid, we just do it for the warm and fuzzies
37.gif
. Due to health reasons, we are only allowed to donate whole blood every three months, but can do platelets and sera every two weeks I believe (they filter your blood through a special machine that returns your red blood cells back to you and take other components).

Honey, it is exactly the same in the US, we give simply for the warm fuzzies. We call it "donate" because we give it for free. I have met several AUS and Kiwis who thought we get paid for blood in the US, they were planning on selling their blood to pay for gas...obviously that plan did not work! I wonder where that crazy idea came from! Some places pay a tiny amount for plasma because there is more risk involved, but even that is rare in my experience.

My dad is a universal donor, so he gives a ton, he calls it the easiest weight loss trick ever. He does get a bit huffy that they offer to send a car for him now that he is a senior citizen! too funny, so he walks part-ways there just to prove that he isn''t an old codger.

I got malaria years ago volunteering in West Africa, so can''t give anymore, but thank those of you who can who go through the discomfort and time commitment to do so! How often can you save a life in just an hour? Bravo to you all.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/30/2010 12:14:55 PM

Date:
1/29/2010 12:17:13 PM

Date:

I can't donate because I have a pre-cancerous blood disorder. I may be a recipient in the future, so I thank all of you that have been donating.

Marian, you have posted in the past that something was going on...and recently you posted that you are on extended medical leave. How about starting a thread so that we don't have discuss it here? You seem pretty open that your health is interfering with your everyday life. That's something worth talking about, you know!

Major hugs,
Deb/AGBF

I don't want to force you into starting a thread, Marian, but I cannot sit here and ignore it when you say right out in the open that you have a blood condition that may lead you to need transfusions in the future. Or that you are on medical leave. You are an important part of our community. People here know you and love you. They just have not figured out that you are having health problems. You are far too discreet. It isn't my business to broadcast your personal health news, but as a member of a community I feel it is my business to see that other members are aware that you have been saying some things outloud here on Pricescope.

Big hugs to you,
Deb
34.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I donate because I am O negative, the universal donor.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 10:00:02 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007

Date: 1/29/2010 11:16:28 AM
Author: SapphireLover
Small threadjack: Do you mind sharing which deficiency you have? I''m curious since I was diagnosed with MTHFR C677T (hetero) and DVT over the summer.
I donated before I was diagnosed with a clotting deficiency... Sadly, I didn''t know any better and tried to donate again, went through all the paperwork, etc.. and was turned away - they really don''t have enough donors.

I may be one in need of donated blood one day, so I really do appreciate all of you who do donate.
It isn''t easy, and is truly an unselfish wonderful thing to do for others.

Personally, I really had a hard time with it, so I really want to send a big THANK YOU to all of you who donate!
36.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 6:09:07 PM

Date:
1/30/2010 12:14:55 PM

Date:
1/29/2010 12:17:13 PM

Date:

Major hugs,
Deb/AGBF

I don''t want to force you into starting a thread, Marian, but I cannot sit here and ignore it when you say right out in the open that you have a blood condition that may lead you to need transfusions in the future. Or that you are on medical leave. You are an important part of our community. People here know you and love you. They just have not figured out that you are having health problems. You are far too discreet. It isn''t my business to broadcast your personal health news, but as a member of a community I feel it is my business to see that other members are aware that you have been saying some things outloud here on Pricescope.

Big hugs to you,
Deb
34.gif
To Deb and Sundial [since I still don''t know how to do multiple quotes]~I started a thread here in The Hangout. I want to share with you. I have alluded to not feeling well. It is time for me to talk about it and ask for support. Thank you both for looking out for me. I treasure your friendships.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results