shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Anyone Donate Blood?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I know PS is full of kind souls. I was wondering if anyone here has donated blood or if anyone does it on a regular basis. If so, what are your reasons. If you don''t, why not?

We have a blood drive at work every eight weeks. A local hospital blood bank sets up at our building. I''ve worked there for about a year and a half and I''ve donated twice. I have a really hard time with it. I have to lay down with my feet in the air and I feel pretty awful for the next few hours after I''m done. My building has about 500 employees I''d say it''s usually it''s the same 30 people who donate. I always wonder why so many people don''t show up. I mean, it''s at work. There''s free juice and cookies. They don''t make it any easier.

I was just wondering if anyone here does this? My fiancé is O Negative so if anyone should do it, it''s him. I''m going to try to convince him to start donating on a regular basis.

amyholder

Rough_Rock
I have done it in the past and always had a hard time with it as well. Last year I was reading through some of the literature, and it said if you''ve had melanoma, you cannot donate. I had melanoma a few years ago. It never made sense to me why you can''t donate if you''ve ever had melanoma. But I''m not a doctor, so how knows?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FI has donated both blood and platelets. He had an unpleasant experience with the latter, but he still gives blood regularly (he''s O- too, they''re calling him every week)

I''ve donated a few times but it''s never been any fun
7.gif
. For some reason it takes an absurdly long time - I''ll sit for 45m easily, and multiple rounds of people will begin and finish while I wait. They always wind up needing to draw from the other arm too, and a couple of times they just weren''t able to get enough blood to fill the bags and so they couldn''t be stored
7.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve tried to donate and have had problems each time.

1. The nurse could not find my vein, punctured it, then left me with a gnarly bruise.
2. The nurse did not lean me back and when I was done I felt so sick (I was either going to pass out or vomit). Nurse saw me and immediately came over with a cold rag (guess I looked a little under the weather)
3. My iron was low and could not donate.

I wish I had good experiences with it; I''m just so skeptical to try to donate again.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 10:37:01 PM
Author: BeachRunner
I''ve tried to donate and have had problems each time.

1. The nurse could not find my vein, punctured it, then left me with a gnarly bruise.

2. The nurse did not lean me back and when I was done I felt so sick (I was either going to pass out or vomit). Nurse saw me and immediately came over with a cold rag (guess I looked a little under the weather)

3. My iron was low and could not donate.

I wish I had good experiences with it; I''m just so skeptical to try to donate again.

ETA: I''m O- as well, so I felt even worse when they used to call every month asking me to donate.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I donate blood as regularly as I am able and feel very strongly about it (which reminds me that there is a blood drive next week not too far away that I havn''t yet made an appt for!)

Last time I had a terrible donation experience. I lost the blood too fast, got very hot, dizzy, threw up, almost passed out and had to hang around for a long time after recovering which ment I missed a rather important meeting. That''s the only time it has ever happened to me but it hasn''t put me off. If I have to go though a few minutes of minor discomfort or inconviniance for even the slight chance to save somones life, I''m more than happy to do so again and again and again.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Yup, I am a donor! I always try to recruit friends, and I usually get a few to come along. My parent's always have so I suppose it was always just something that was done.

Besides being excluded for medical reasons, I can't think of a good reason not to donate. Blood is so vital. "Not liking needles" doesn't really cut it for me as an excuse.

I don't always get to donate, because I have low bp and so they turn me away quite a bit if it's too low. Because of the low bp, when I do donate I get quite dizzy and nauseous sometimes. But it doesn't last too long, and there's always snacks and drinks so I can chill out there and take my time recovering.

It's a very rewarding thing to do. Going once every 90 days (the max you can go here) seems like a tiny contribution to make!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I used to donate whole blood several times a year. Now, I donate platelets. I have an extremely high platelet count and it''s easy for me to give a triple donation in the amount of time it takes most to give 1. It''s not the most comfortable thing because you have a needle in each arm. My face goes numb and itchy (due to a trick my brain plays regarding calcium). My veins roll and go in the opposite direction than they should. I''ve passed out in the chair. I have to boost my iron before my donation dates by packing in the Flintstones vitamins. It sounds worse than it is, I think.

I started donating whole blood because my family was greatly affected by other donors. I felt it was my responsibility to give back, so I started at 16. I started the platelet donation (apheresis) about a year or so ago. Many of my family members have had cancer and had to have platelets often. One donation can help many patients. It was another way to give back for me. While I was donating, they asked me if I would start scheduling the appointments and coordinating donors for drives in our area. I said yes and have been doing that since around Sept. I can''t donate now that I''m pregnant so I''m glad that I can still help in some way.

I think anyone who can stand needles should try to donate whole blood at least once. It may surprise you how easy it is and how useful it is.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I donate blood a few times a year. I''m a nurse, and our hospital provides an incentive - 2 hours of vacation time. I''ve been donating since high school, though, and would do it regardless of the incentive. Everyone should give blood! At least try it once! We go through many shortages. Blood''s always in high demand.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
I was actually going to go this past Monday but I got sick last week and was not symptom free by then... wah wah. But I''m on the mailing list and plan to go next time.

Plus in addition to it being a good cause, I get administrative leave to go so its a great break in a long day.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Oooh i love donating blood
36.gif
its so fun. I used to go every 8 weeks at home to donate, but since we''ve moved overseas i havent been going...something about my travels in africa blah blah...

But i find it very enjoyable and have given platelets too at one time or another. I like watching it all happen for some reason
21.gif
its kinda odd i guess because i like to watch the needle go in, but i cant watch a fake operating scene on tv without wanting to be sick!

and i especially liked the milkshake and sausage roll i used to have afterwards
3.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, reminds me of my experience. I did it once. I was watching TV when the nurse was about to stick the needle in me. I heard the nurse say "Uh oh". I looked at my arm, and blood was shooting out like Old Faithful. My white trousers and shirt were soaked with my blood. She finally found my vein, and the rest went smoothly. She was so worried about me, but I told her I''m alright and went home. My arm was horribly bruised for more than two weeks; from my triceps to my wrist.

I haven''t donated in the US because I don''t make the weight limit. I hate been short. Are they strict about it? I should go in and see if they will make an exception. I do want to try platelets, but my friend who does it regularly always have to take the afternoons off. I can''t afford to lose time like that...

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I try to do it 3-4 times a year. But, I work on a college campus so there is always a drive going on, which makes it easy and convenient. I''ve never had any trouble with it.

I do it because it is something within my means to help others.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never donated as I''ve never met the weight requirement of 110 lbs. I totally would, though. I just found out I''m O Negative.

blingmemore

Rough_Rock
I donated twice a 6 years ago. Whilst the procedure itself was relatively painless and rewarding I always found the next day I felt like I had been hit by a truck, so my GP advised me to only donate once a year.
7.gif

Fast forward to 4 years later.
After delivering my second child I had a MAJOR post-partum haemorrage (3600ml) and required 5 blood transfusions to save my life. Not a day goes by that I am not grateful for the unselfish act of strangers that is the reason for me still being here.

I am now a major advocate for blood donation and have recently been given the all clear to try donating again.
36.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I donate all the time! I do it because its obviously a wonderful thing to do, and because I enjoy it.

I know. I''m a weirdo, I like getting needles in my arm. And no, I''m not a self-destructive drug addict.
41.gif

Also, I have a really good vein so its usually no problem.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I look at donating blood like voting. It''s a civic duty. I always sign up to donate and get screened out because I''m anemic. This year my iron levels were high enough, but my honeymoon destination was a malaria risk zone so I was screened out. Everyone should at least try to donate, even if they''re not sure they''ll be able to give. Obviously if you have a health condition that would be an issue then don''t, but otherwise, you should.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
My iron levels are usually too low, so I don''t try to anymore.

I need to get my hubby to do it more often, though... he hasn''t in years. We both know how important it is!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 8:50:59 AM
Author: jsm
My iron levels are usually too low, so I don''t try to anymore.

I need to get my hubby to do it more often, though... he hasn''t in years. We both know how important it is!

Some Flintstones and a good amount of greens for a few days before the donation date could increase your donation chances!!

I force iron for a few days before the donation and just barely pass, but a pass is a pass!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
If I could, I definitely would
5.gif

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
I''m a donor, but can''t this year due to traveling somewhere with a high malaria risk. My first time I went with my dad, who is a regular donor. They missed my vein, missed it a second time and the third finally got it in, but had to twist and turn the needle to get the blood to flow. And that hurt. A lot. I donated once in college where I was fine one second, then apparently looked funny to the tech, and the next second I overheated and passed out. I feel very strongly though about giving blood if I can, despite my bad experiences, because those experiences are nothing compared to the people who actually need this blood. One donation can save up to three people, and my family has had our own personal experiences with needing blood transfusions. So, while it''s a personal thing for me for sure, I feel like it''s also something pretty basic I can do to help a total stranger out who needs it. I can possibly give someone the gift of life. How can you pass that up?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I used to donate regularly when I lived in FL near a local blood bank. Now they have blood drives at the Y where I work out, but I never donate there because they make you sit there for an hour after you donate blood. It''s ridiculous - I can''t just leave my kid at the day care for an extra hour so I can sit there drinking juice.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I always want to do it, and I used to go all the time, but my iron is so low that about 90% of the time I''m turned away. It just got so frustrating to be turned away every time so I kind of stopped going
40.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
I donate whenever possible. My church does small blood drives about 4-5 times a year and I always go if I can. I haven''t ever been screened out, though my pulse rate is normally low enough (~52bpm) to prompt the "Do you exercise regularly?" question. The nurses also looooove my veins--they never have a problem with sticks and it usually only takes 6-7 minutes to fill the bag. I''ve never really had a bad experience and the only painful part is ripping the tape off my arm and taking a bunch of hair with it.
9.gif

No one really close to me has needed a transfusion, but I still feel it is a duty to try and help others and this is one mostly painless way of being able to help.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t donate anymore. I have been afraid to since the last time I donated, which was shortly after 9/11. I did fine, no immediate effects or problems during donation, but I got home and 15 minutes later I was just wiped/out of commission/on the couch for 4 hours. I didn''t feel quite right for about 24 hours afterward, even though I had eaten before and after and had no health issues at the time. I know it''s something I should do at least once a year, but honestly I am afraid of having the same reaction again and I just don''t have 24 hours of feeling like crap I''m willing to volunteer. I am an organ donor, so I feel like I am somewhat doing my share.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Up until I had a baby I never weighed enough to donate, and now I don''t think that I can since I was diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder over the summer. I never really thought about it since my diagnosis though.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I donated for the first time last year at work, and it made me feel good to know I could be helping someone else.(and you get half a comp day each time you donate!) I haven''t donated since because I''ve been to South America and there''s apparantly a 3 year waiting period before I can donate again.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I am a pretty regular donor (every 3-4 months). I was terrified to do it when I was a teen/in college, and shortly after college a roommate convinced me to go. I realized it was no big deal for me, and I''ve been going regularly since then. I have to way up my water intake the day I donate because my veins are hard to stick otherwise, but as long as I do that I find it only slightly uncomfortable. I do feel absolutely wiped out afterwards usually - I joke that I have an hour window to get home and pass out on the couch, but by the next day I typically feel fine.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I have three times so far and I would like to do it every time there is a blood drive at work.

Two of the three times I have donated, have not gone so well. The first was in highschool and it resulted in me being wheeled to the nurses office because I was about to pass out. I blame the nurse for being negligent and not insisting I don''t get up right away and eat something and not carry my heavy backpack.

The third time I donated, I don''t think I even finished. I threw up...a LOT and had to sleep for a while on the bus. I had to eat some sweets to recover and I was just drained after that.

I haven''t done it recently because the past two times was right after I got a tattoo and a piercing.

I''m looking forward to the next one.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I started a thread on this very thing a couple of years back! I just turned 55 and I have been a regular donor since I was 18 (except for my pregnancies). It really is no big deal for most people but I think some first time donors get a little freaked out and imagine all kinds of problems. Really unless you have a medical condition or take medication that prohibits it everyone should be donating to save lives.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results