shape
carat
color
clarity

Does a bezel setting change and/or decrease light return?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Notice how high off the finger this spring stone holder holds the stone.
Why? it increases contrast and makes the stone look bigger and brighter.
sssssssshhhhhhhhh they dont want to you to know that.......
413RXJn9wSL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The move curvature on the band the more reflection off the metal of the surroundings and the more contrast to contrast with Karl's PoV hahaha!

I made a few of these decades ago:
1686201297520.png

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
pws, it's a sorry state when you feel that, as a man, you can't wear a Tiffany 6 prong ring. Surely someone can design a man's ring that doesn't look like it came from Harley Davidson.
Mai I ask your profession? It might inspire someone.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
pws, it's a sorry state when you feel that, as a man, you can't wear a Tiffany 6 prong ring. Surely someone can design a man's ring that doesn't look like it came from Harley Davidson.

Custom made one once with a big link on the top with 4 diamonds set in each of the ends of the pins.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to buy a Tiffany diamond ring, but for men...

I'm sure you know this but, just in case, Tiffany recently announced a line of men's diamond engagement-type rings. Search on that or "Charles Tiffany" something-or-other.

Bezel-set but I think they are gorgeous -- but, then again, I prefer step cuts for men's solitaires.

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 9.21.16 PM.png

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
That ring/diamond combo has no contrast.
Up close the internal contrast(obstruction) of the diamond gives a show but at a distance it will just blend into the setting with no contrast.
6 prongs hold the diamond off the finger providing more contrast between the band, diamond and finger.
That style ring should not be in a white metal if your looking for a show.
Every aspect of diamond performance is muted by lack of contrast at anything but the closest range.
Not by the light performance of the diamond itself but the lack of contrast it has to work against.

I am starting my research for a men's diamond wedding band. I am considering a bezel mounted diamond or a tension set diamond.

For the bezel set diamond, what metal would be recommended for more contrast?

Would a tension set diamond provide noticeably better performance compared to the bezel set stone?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am starting my research for a men's diamond wedding band. I am considering a bezel mounted diamond or a tension set diamond.

For the bezel set diamond, what metal would be recommended for more contrast?

Would a tension set diamond provide noticeably better performance compared to the bezel set stone?

Titanium would be the only metal I would consider for a tension ring
Post a pic of the bezel style your considering.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am considering a bezel mounted diamond or a tension set diamond.

Be aware that a tension setting generally sits up higher on the finger than a traditional bezel......which is an issue for some......
And while I'm sure Karl has a point...me personally?...I prefer precious metals for a ring,...

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
That style has little contrast with white metals..
What size ring and what shape and mm size stone?

Size 7.5, round diamond (would consider other shapes), ~3.25mm.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Size 7.5, round diamond (would consider other shapes), ~3.25mm.

In a white metal its going to get lost in the setting under some lighting conditions.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
In a white metal its going to get lost in the setting under some lighting conditions.

Would a black zirconium ring work better for the same style of ring? If not, any other materials to be considered?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might take a look at this thread if you haven't already @crbl999

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly recommend looking at Bruce boone for the setting!

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
You might take a look at this thread if you haven't already @crbl999

Thanks for posting that link. I have been through that thread before, but it has been awhile. I'm a see it and feel it kind of person, so looking at pictures only gets me so far. Will take another look though. Lots of nice eye-candy in those pages!

I strongly recommend looking at Bruce boone for the setting!

I will be ordering a travel ring from him. I have been looking at some of his tension settings.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting that link. I have been through that thread before, but it has been awhile. I'm a see it and feel it kind of person, so looking at pictures only gets me so far. Will take another look though. Lots of nice eye-candy in those pages!

I will be ordering a travel ring from him. I have been looking at some of his tension settings.

I have 2 tension settings from him and adore both. He is incredible and easy to work with.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would a black zirconium ring work better for the same style of ring? If not, any other materials to be considered?

Anything not white or whitish.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade

@pws and @Ibrakeforpossums

...does this qualify as both sufficiently masculine and non-Harley-Davidsone-esque?

This ring was not designed to be necessarily masculine nor feminine, but just to be what it is - and to expose the diamond. I feel perfectly comfortable wearing it FWIW.

@Rockdiamond David! Do you recognize the stone? tempImage2MPgYD.png tempImage8WHkeR.png

In Motion:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light can't go through metal.
More metal in contact with the diamond means less light getting into, and out of, the diamond.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Light can't go through metal.
More metal in contact with the diamond means less light getting into, and out of, the diamond.

I've certainly noticed a decrease in performance with some bezels, even in ideal-cut stones.

I did not consider the possibility that this might be related to covering the girdle. I assumed it was related to the tiny bit of crown that would get covered. I still don't know for sure what to attribute it to, but it is noticeable.

Stones with bezels are also harder to clean, and this will invariably limit performance.

An alternative solution to bezels is the "hidden halo"

It is effectively a bezel that sits just below the girdle and does not actually hold the stone.

The stone is then secured with prongs.

It's actually a very cool look IMO and tends to perform well.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I've certainly noticed a decrease in performance with some bezels, even in ideal-cut stones.

I did not consider the possibility that this might be related to covering the girdle. I assumed it was related to the tiny bit of crown that would get covered. I still don't know for sure what to attribute it to, but it is noticeable.

Stones with bezels are also harder to clean, and this will invariably limit performance.

An alternative solution to bezels is the "hidden halo"

It is effectively a bezel that sits just below the girdle and does not actually hold the stone.

The stone is then secured with prongs.

It's actually a very cool look IMO and tends to perform well.
Here’s an example. If you look closely, you can see the girdle sits right above the surface and remains exposed.

IMG_2365.jpeg IMG_2366.jpeg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Jaysus, whose ring is that? I keep thinking I've seen it before.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yellow gold would be the precious metal that would make the diamond show up well in the setting you posted above.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Also take into account skin allergies. Some folks do titanium bc that's all they can tolerate.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Jaysus, whose ring is that? I keep thinking I've seen it before.

It's mine! :lol-2:

You may have seen in on a previous post somewhere. I was designing a Pinky ring and it evolved into this. It's also on my IG feed.

I threw out my back, spent a week contemplating spinal anatomy and nerve pain, and this design emerged.

With a little imagination, you might see a "spinal column" built from French-cut diamonds and prongs designed to suggest spinal nerves.

Perhaps not everyone's cup-of-tea, but it has meaning for me.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results