shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you wear your ering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Yes I wear my ring at work. I am a teacher, and it doesn''t really get in my way. It does, however, distract my already highly distractable students!!!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 4:08:17 PM
Author: icekid
I wear gloves all day, as well (am a doctor). And I wear my rings to work usually, unless I am on call and going to be up all night (and hence probably bashing my exhausted hands into things haha.) But I am generally not klutzy, which helps.

So do I. I wear my sapphire to work, and have had no problems. I don''t wear my softer stones. If I had an e-ring, I would wear it to work. Most people in my field do and have not had a problem. There are some units where e-rings are not allowed, and most of the girls wear them on a chain.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The table next to my side of the bed is wrought iron with a stone top. If I smack it with my ring, the ring is going to be hurtin''. Not to mention the prongs are kind of wonky, and I''m clumsy enough that it''s likely that they''d catch on something and bend backwards, and that''s just not a risk I''m willing to take.

So when I''m sleeping, my ering lives in an antique satin beaded box with two other rings I wear often. And when I forget it, it spends the day in there as well.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
My ring is a legacy inspired setting and it sits rather high compared to other settings.

I am still at University, but once I am finished I will be a Psychologist.

I won''t take my ring off as I don''t think it will get in the way.

Lynny0780

Rough_Rock
i dont work, so im usually hanging around at home. when im home i dont wear any jewelry. i only wear my ering when i go out, unless its something quick like running to the store.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I am an Occupational Therapist and will (eventually), wear my ring to work. Despite the gloves and multiple hand washings and lotion smotherings, I will wear it. I think. LOL!

My mom where''s her 3 stone basket setting and she wears glove all day in a hospital lab setting no problem.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Just a tip those those who work in the medical profession...
Hand cleansers/disenfectants containing iodine will compromise the appearance of your jewellery. Betadine is a monster, steer clear.
If you get a ring contaminated with it, it will turn brown. This requires torch-heating to remove.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
hmm mine doesnt have any platinum in it so i think that is fine, not too worried about hitting fi because i sleep on my stomach with my hands facing down, lol i know its weird

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2009 10:51:48 AM
Author: fieryred33143

I have a relatively small diamond in comparison to others on PS. It''s a .75. It is set high though.
I had to laugh when I saw your comment. Your ''relatively'' small diamond is ''quite big'' in the real world - but I know what you mean
1.gif

I wear my ering all the time but I work in an office so there''s no issue with it getting in the way. I wouldn''t like the idea of having to wear it on a chain though
23.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you wear your ering at work?
Some days. Most days I just wear a wedding band. I have a .50ish centre with tapered baguettes, totalling about .70ish.

What do you do?
I work for a charity. In London and in my organization the ring is considered to be on the larger size.

Does your ring get in the way?
Yes, it can attract negative attention sometimes. I also find myself gripping a lot of rails on public transport and have scratched it pretty badly.

icet

Rough_Rock
I wear my ering and wband together all the time except for when I sleep and shower. I hit my husband once in the face when i was sleeping and apparently it hurt! so i stopped sleeping with it.
i''''m a doctor so i wear latex gloves all the time, the powder really makes the rings yucky so i make an effort to clean them a few times a week
Some people make comments but all my other coworkers do the same thing so it''s no big deal

EmptyLeftHand

Shiny_Rock
Hello there.
I wear my ering all the time - only take it off to (a) clean it and (b) let other folk try it on...!
I am a doctor and put latex gloves on all the time. I usually swing the stone round to the side slightly to get the gloves on more easily. It is a platinum set, 4-prong, 1.2ct solitaire, not too high - sits up about 7mm from finger.
hope that helps!

Abril

Shiny_Rock
I don''t wear my e-ring or wedding band anymore. It''s more comfortable that way. My husband doesn''t mind. Only wear the rings to very special occasions.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I wear my e-ring all the time... It''s a legacy-inspired halo w. a RB.. so the setting is a bit high and I have a lot of bead-set stones on the setting.

I take it off for makeup/lotion/shower/hairstyling (if putting product in)

I sleep in it... but shouldn''t
23.gif
...One of these days I''ll lose a little blingy on the setting, I''m sure of it.

Profession? Law student
14.gif

Problems? Errr... it distracts me during class?
3.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Do you wear your ering at work? YES
What do you do? RUN A LAW FIRM
Does your ring get in the way? NO

It comes off with my watch and RH ring as soon as I get home. Sleeps in the drawer until I go out again. I can''t stand having them on when I''m home. But I never leave the house without them on unless it''s to work outside in the yard...

LS

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought of this thread while visiting my grandmother in the hospital last week. One of her doctors is a fairly young looking woman, and she wears a gaudy, heavily included, large three-stone princess-cut engagement ring. My grandmother is brutally honest (and she was drugged up, so she isn''t nearly as well-behaved as she is normally) and she looked at this doctor and said in her very thick German accent "That ring is hideous. Bigger is not always better, sweetheart."
Mortifying. (And this is my etiquette guru grandmother. Old age is terribly sad.)

But, this ring *definitely* proved to be a distraction at work for this doctor.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Ha Ha, Haven! Your grandmother is a riot!!
9.gif

I don''t have my ering yet, bf still has to propose :). but the only time I take my promise ring off is when I shower or put on lotion. I doubt it will be any different for my engagement ring.

I''m an interior designer so I don''t think it would ever get in the way at work. At .81 Carats, my diamond is smaller than a good chunk of our clients stones, but when compared to my coworkers, it will be the largest out of the bunch. So i guess there is a chance there will be some "rock envy" in the office at first, but that''s not my problem. I refuse to be ashamed of my pretty RB or my amazing Fiance-to-be!

As a side note to represent the medical field:
My stepsister is in med school so at her bridal shower, one of her MOH''s gave her a pretty gold chain to put her ering on while doing labs and such. I thought it was such a thoughtful gift!

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Back when I was still engaged I used to wear my ring EVERYWHERE. You couldn''t take it off me! Now that I''m married I usually just wear my wedding band to work. I work in the food service industry and I''d really hate to lose a diamond in someone''s food!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My job involves time in the office as well as time in manufacturing plants. When I'm in the office I always wear my ering. I even wear it to the manufacturing plants if I'm just there for a meeting or something. However, when I'm on the plant floor, the only jewelry allowed is a plain wedding band, so I have to take my ering off.

I don't wear latex gloves too often, but when I do, they fit nicely over my ering (1.67ct, but low set) so I leave it on.

ETA: I take my ring off when I'm getting ready for bed and put it back on after I'm all showered and dressed in the morning. My wband will be plain (so I can wear it in manufacturing plants) and I plan to leave it on all the time.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I wear mine all the time. Got tired of it getting dirty and yuky after my runs though.. so I just recently took it off for that still wear one of the bands though. I am a data analyst for a large PBM. I wear it to work, and all the time. I am trying to remember to take it off for showers and when I wash my hands... but honestly, it is apart of who I am now. So I wear one of the three bands at all times.

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 4:49:03 PM
Author: TheDoctor
Just a tip those those who work in the medical profession...
Hand cleansers/disenfectants containing iodine will compromise the appearance of your jewellery. Betadine is a monster, steer clear.
If you get a ring contaminated with it, it will turn brown. This requires torch-heating to remove.

*mini threadjack*

Do those ruin any jewelry? or a particular kiind of metal?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
My rings are small in comparison to PS standards (.71 Asscher and .52 ACA), but I only wear them during the day. When I get home at night, before a workout, I put them all away in my jewelry armoire.

I''m in software sales, so I tend to not be afraid to wear my jewelry. It sometimes helps!

gryffindor

Shiny_Rock
I work in a dental clinic and I don''t wear my ring when I am working with patients. Not only do I find hand washing to be unsatisfying with my ring on, but we also do a lot of plaster and metal/soldering work in the laboratory setting and I''m afraid I would damage it. I keep it at home and since I live right next to wear I work, I go home and put the ring on when we have non-clinic hours. I always wear it when I''m at home. It''s fun.
9.gif

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
I wear both my rings most of the time. Even to the gym. I used to slip them on my chain and then take them off. Now I just wear my gloves. They cover the knuckle. I take my rings off to put lotion on, and to prepare meals involving handling of meat.

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:06:36 AM
Author: tlh
I wear mine all the time. Got tired of it getting dirty and yuky after my runs though.. so I just recently took it off for that still wear one of the bands though. I am a data analyst for a large PBM. I wear it to work, and all the time. I am trying to remember to take it off for showers and when I wash my hands... but honestly, it is apart of who I am now. So I wear one of the three bands at all times.

What does your ring look like, TLH? I can barely see it in the picture. I enjoy reading your posts and every time I see the little picture box, I squint in attempt to see it better. Is it round with little diamonds around it?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear mine to work when I remember to grab it from the safe. I don't sleep with it on, so... I'd say I wear it 50% of the time at work. I wear it more on weekends because I'm not sleep walking or in a rush. I leave my wedding band on, excpet for when it's being cleaned, so I'm always wearing that. But my e-ring and my 7 stone (RHR) it's 50-50. It's got nothing to do with attention or dirt though (and I carry diamond/jewelry cleaner around in my purse). I'm proud of my bling and happy to wear it, just too tired to remember to most days till I'm already at work.

John341

Rough_Rock
This is a minor threadjack, but since this thread has gone quiet, I figure you all won''t mind too much (I was directed here from my post asking about settings for medical professionals: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-for-a-medical-professional.111903/)

For all of you that wear gloves daily, would you have preferred a ring where the stone is set lower, and with less to catch on (e.g. a bezel or flush setting)? Would it make you more likely to wear the ring under gloves? Or does it not really matter? I appreciate your feedback.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 12:26:24 PM
Author: John341

For all of you that wear gloves daily, would you have preferred a ring where the stone is set lower, and with less to catch on (e.g. a bezel or flush setting)? Would it make you more likely to wear the ring under gloves? Or does it not really matter? I appreciate your feedback.
I''m not one of those people, so take with this with a grain of salt... but if I had to wear gloves every day I would personally prefer an as-low-as-possible bezeled solitaire (or if you want sidestones, also bezeled OR gypsy/flush-set).

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 4:23:32 PM
Author: ilovesparkles
I am an Occupational Therapist and will (eventually), wear my ring to work. Despite the gloves and multiple hand washings and lotion smotherings, I will wear it. I think. LOL!/QUOTE]

Ah I''m an OT too (or soon to be
12.gif
) Sammy is also an OT how interesting as its not a usual profession, well in my experience! What type of OT work do you do?

supergirl10

Shiny_Rock
Re John about women and ering in the medical profession, what type of work does your FF do?

I''m not sure whether you would call Occupational Therapy strictly medical but if you do clinical work it is much the same gloves, handwashing hospital setting etc.Where i''ve worked in the medical field so far ie mental health and ergonomics my ering is no dramas in fact i barely even get my hands dirty.

But when i have been working with people with spinal injuries i found it to get in the way and get bumped all the time. It was especially a hassel when measuring up for wheechairs, crawling on the ground, examining patients and finding/feeling specific bones. In the end i just didn''t wear one.

I''m just about to go and do my final prac in the hospital and i don''t plan on wearing it at all because i am just sure it will get in the way and i''m afraid of getting it all germy. Plus from my persepctive a diamond could potentially rip a glove and be an infection control issue so if she''s a doctor or nurse, most i''ve seen dont'' even wear them.

About the design of ring, FI suggested getting a ring with one thick band ie 1.5 cm wide with just tiny little diamonds through out in place of the traditional ering, wedding ring and eternity ring. He also suggested a lower setting so i could wear it everyday. I choose not to I
30.gif
the look of normal settings with high-ish prongs so i choose my love of design and will just wear my ring on the weekends. My advice would be to consult with your girl and find out those things, you could still do it subtely if you wanted to.

Ps when i''m married i plan just to wear a plain band to work if im in a hospital.

whewww that was way longer than i thought!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results