shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you wear your colored gemstone rings to work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 12:53:36 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 3/28/2009 10:55:03 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I agree that there is total ignorance about coloured gemstones and people tend to prefer the more traditional diamonds as e-rings. However, that doesn''t annoy me because it means there''s more gorgeous coloured gemstones for us to stalk without too much competition!!!!

When I first started collecting I too was fairly ignorant and believed that garnets were cheap and only came in red
20.gif
Some of my favourite gemstones are garnets now and I appreciate their beauty!
Ha ha LD. That gives it away - you must be my age!!!!
Are you 21 as well Gailey?
2.gif
9.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 12:48:13 PM
Please add your Mali garnet to the photoshoot!

Pandora, your comments about people''s general reaction to garnets in the UK is interesting. Back in the late 70''s high street jewellers such as H. Sammuel and Ratners (you''re probably too young to remember Ratners!) were flooded with very dark red/brown garnets and they were cheap as chips. I remember this quite distinctly because I had my eye on a pear by-pass garnet ring that was in the Jewellers where I worked. This was a non-chain, high end store and although they a darker red garnets, they weren''t brown and were clear and sparkly. Of course, on my wages I couldn''t afford it, so I bought a 5 stone oval garnet ring in silver from Ratners next door! So I wonder if those low quality stones and the sheer numbers of them are responsible in part for the way the UK population thinks of garnets today.
Believe me, I remember them well (I''m not much on the right side of 40...) (Poor Mr Ratner - who only told the truth!)

Most people think of them as the dark reddish brown stones you get in Victorian jewellery and the sort that you got in chainstore stud earrings (I have a few myself from when I was a teenager).

It''s absolutely why they think of them this way - and even the high-end stores rarely carry great examples of the less common stones. I''ve yet to see a decent spess or tsav for sale over here. They also lump all the coloured stones together so you''ve got the amethyst and blue topaz pieces next to what could have been half decent tourmalines (if they had been cut properly!)

Some of the better London antique jewellery dealers have beautiful stones - and a price tag to match - but few people really get to see them.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I wear my coloured gemstone rings to work as my RHR, there''s quite a fair bit of bling around the office so I am totally comfortable wearing jewelry at work.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 3:51:49 PM

Date: 3/28/2009 12:53:36 PM

Date: 3/28/2009 10:55:03 AM
I agree that there is total ignorance about coloured gemstones and people tend to prefer the more traditional diamonds as e-rings. However, that doesn''t annoy me because it means there''s more gorgeous coloured gemstones for us to stalk without too much competition!!!!

When I first started collecting I too was fairly ignorant and believed that garnets were cheap and only came in red
20.gif
Some of my favourite gemstones are garnets now and I appreciate their beauty!
Ha ha LD. That gives it away - you must be my age!!!!
Are you 21 as well Gailey?
2.gif
9.gif
Abso-flippin-lutely! And I''m going to be 20 next birthday! Did you see my ''Old English Joke for Old English People" on Mochi''s chryso thread?

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
I always show interest when I see a woman wearing an interesting ring and usually they react to my interest in a positive way. Occasionally though I''ve had a very negative reaction to my interest. It''s as if I had just made a pass at them or they suspect I''m about to rob them! It''s not like I''m accosting them in the street.

I wish more people had an appreciation for the other gems other than The Big 4 ( or is it 5?), but on the other hand imagine the increase in the cost of coloured stones if suddenly everyone wanted them!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
When I do, if anyone asks I tell them it''s crystal set in sterling silver. The women where I work are "substitute words for not very nice".

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I wear my topaz RHR to work and I''ve gotten a few compliments on it.

Have you worn your oval Malaya to work yet, TL?

I bet people stopped you in your tracks to ask about your ring!
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 5:45:19 PM
Author: platinumrock

2.gif
Yes, I have, but no comments. I never get comments, except from men. People do stare at my hands quite a bit though probably from trying to figure out if it''s costume jewelry - ha!! However, there is one ring I get tons of compliments from women on - my blue Tahitian pearl and diamond ring. One lady I worked with asked to look at it since her family is really into pearls, so I took it off to show her. She almost didn''t give it back.

99% of the women I work with only wear costume jewelry except for their e-rings. There are a couple of ladies I work with that wear some Tiffany, including the one that wanted my pearl ring.

It''s funny because my manager had a costume jewelry party at her house, and invited me. Needless to say, I did not attend. Unfortunately for me (and my pocketbook), I only like the real thing.

However, I guess most women know what a pearl is (LOL).

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
When I was still wearing my original wedding set, the blue sapphire and diamonds in yg, I got lots of comments about it. People were always asking me about it since it is very unusual. I don''t wear it any longer since it is too tight.

The Daniel K wedding ring gets lots of attention since it is very sparkly. My cognac diamond necklace ALWAYS gets attention when I wear it and people ask if the diamonds are pink.

All of my coworkers used to come to my office to see if I had any new pretties to share. I''m now on disability retirement and don''t get to wear my jewelry out much.

Lori

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear most of my jewelry to work, but not my sapphire ring. The setting is so delicate and the stone sets to high, I am afraid I am going to whack it on something. I work for my husbands automotive repair shop, so it is not always ideal to wear certain rings/jewelry. Besides, I don''t want people to have the impression that we might have $$$................LOL!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear all my jewelry to work (not all at once, though). I was never one to worry about what other people thought of me or my things.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 2:21:22 AM
Author: loriken214
When I was still wearing my original wedding set, the blue sapphire and diamonds in yg, I got lots of comments about it. People were always asking me about it since it is very unusual. I don''t wear it any longer since it is too tight.

The Daniel K wedding ring gets lots of attention since it is very sparkly. My cognac diamond necklace ALWAYS gets attention when I wear it and people ask if the diamonds are pink.

All of my coworkers used to come to my office to see if I had any new pretties to share. I''m now on disability retirement and don''t get to wear my jewelry out much.

Lori
I''d love to see a picture of your cognac diamond necklace!!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 7:24:43 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 3/30/2009 5:45:19 PM
Author: platinumrock

2.gif
Yes, I have, but no comments. I never get comments, except from men. People do stare at my hands quite a bit though probably from trying to figure out if it''s costume jewelry - ha!! However, there is one ring I get tons of compliments from women on - my blue Tahitian pearl and diamond ring. One lady I worked with asked to look at it since her family is really into pearls, so I took it off to show her. She almost didn''t give it back.

99% of the women I work with only wear costume jewelry except for their e-rings. There are a couple of ladies I work with that wear some Tiffany, including the one that wanted my pearl ring.

It''s funny because my manager had a costume jewelry party at her house, and invited me. Needless to say, I did not attend. Unfortunately for me (and my pocketbook), I only like the real thing.

However, I guess most women know what a pearl is (LOL).
Ha, that''s interesting that you get more reaction from men more than women! Could it be secret envy of the bling from the women?
27.gif

Ooooh, I love pearls, especially the ones with the black/green/blue/violitish tones. I''d love to own a Tahitian one day...but how would I wear it?

TL, do you have a pic of your blue Tahitian pearl and diamond ring?

I''m not really into costume jewelry either...I gotta have the real thing too.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results