shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you wear your colored gemstone rings to work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 5:42:32 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Date: 3/27/2009 5:37:57 PM
Author: Linda W
Mine either TL, he doesn''t even pronounce padparadscha correctly, ha ha ha ha ha. He just says, he is happy I love my pod rings, ha.
ROFL!!!!!

I had to teach hubby how to say it when mine arrived last night!
9.gif
OOOOH - can''t wait to see pictures!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 5:45:20 PM
Author: m76steve
glad you mentioned padparasha-this is one of my favorates & is worn several times a week by me or the wife...
That''s a pretty pendant Steve.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 5:44:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Mine either TL, he doesn''t even pronounce padparadscha correctly, ha ha ha ha ha. He just says, he is happy I love my pod rings, ha.

I personally hate the word ''pad'' - reminds me of ''Invasion of the Body Snatchers.'' Why couldn''t they give that gemstone a better name? How about lotus sapphire or something.

ha ha ha TL. Padparadscha means lotus flower in Sri Lanka in their language. I guess Pad is easier to say then the whole word ha ha ha ha ha. Body snatcher, you made me laugh and squirt water out out of my mouth, ha ha ha ha

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 5:42:32 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

ROFL!!!!!

I had to teach hubby how to say it when mine arrived last night!
9.gif
Are you holding out on us?!!?
36.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 5:48:15 PM

ha ha ha TL. Padparadscha means lotus flower in Sri Lanka in their language. I guess Pad is easier to say then the whole word ha ha ha ha ha. Body snatcher, you made me laugh and squirt water out out of my mouth, ha ha ha ha
Except that it should really be Padmaraga - padma being the word for lotus and ''raga'' the word for colour.

I was corrected by everyone in the industry when I was in Sri Lanka, and a lot of the mine owners didn''t know what I was asking about until I switched to their term - the word Padparadscha is a German adaptation.

Here''s an interesting article on it...

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 7:00:11 PM
Author: Pandora II

Except that it should really be Padmaraga - padma being the word for lotus and ''raga'' the word for colour.

I was corrected by everyone in the industry when I was in Sri Lanka, and a lot of the mine owners didn''t know what I was asking about until I switched to their term - the word Padparadscha is a German adaptation.

Interesting, Pandora! I recall there used to be a gentleman who posted here with a website called padmaraga.com and I never quite knew the background of that word.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 7:00:11 PM

Pandora, thank you so much for this info. I never knew that, especially with the Germans adaption of the word.
BTW, did you see any pads on your trip to Sri Lanka????

mochi

Ideal_Rock
All the time at my work, both male and female. I have a few male doctors that asks me what new stones or jewelry I got. In fact one of them gave me his email so that I can send the link to Pricescope and sites where gemstones are listed. They also ask me to get on the computer so that I can get on Pricesope (I bet management love that) so they can look at other people''s jewelry. They are so funny.

I wore my chrysoberyl ring to work to day and one of the nurse told me how she loved the "yellow diamond in the beautiful setting!" Than another nurse asked me if it was a peridot. Even if I tell them the name of the stone, they still won''t know... they only know diamond, garnet, ruby...They are missing out on so much!

Mainly, though, I don''t wear my colored gemstone rings to work because I''m always washing my hand and doing alot with hands. But I do wear my diamond ring.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I do. People rarely pay attention to them though some of the people I work with will know when I buy something new and ask to see it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, but not all at once. I rotate them out weekly. I even received compliments from my male colleagues on my red spinel earrings! Who said men don''t appreciate gemstones?
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,
Has anyone complimented you on your TDF mandarin ring yet? I can just imagine the eyes that one must get
3.gif
23.gif
3.gif
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 11:42:51 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Chrono,
Has anyone complimented you on your TDF mandarin ring yet? I can just imagine the eyes that one must get
3.gif
23.gif
3.gif
30.gif
I''ve mostly worn it outside of work because I''m worried about the reaction I might get at the office.
emembarrassed.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 11:50:45 PM
Author: Chrono

I''ve mostly worn it outside of work because I''m worried about the reaction I might get at the office.
emembarrassed.gif
Oh like this one? You know, the brightness might cause eye damage.
emsmilep.gif

U1276232INP.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 4:27:49 PM
Yes - but then it''s my engagement ring.

I don''t get many comments, but then this is the UK where people are a) less likely to say anything in case it comes across as inappropriate (even I have to know someone well to ask for a closer look) b) most people just don''t notice jewellery and c) coloured e-rings are pretty normal here.

My direct colleagues know I''m nuts about rocks and if I get a new rock package in the post they all want to see what is in it and although they all oooh and aaah over the stones, they''re not obsessed like me.

That''s strange and it might be to do with where we are in the UK because I''m always being asked about my rings! I''ve been asked in shops, restaurants and even in the ladies washroom at an airport once!!!

My colleagues are the same as yours and unfortunately for their bank balances, three have now turned into gemstone addicts! Whoops!
TL in answer to your question - yes. All the time. I co-ordinate with what I''m wearing. Although I have to be honest and say there are some pieces I wouldn''t wear to work (the bigger, more flashier pieces). The way I look at it is why have a collection and then be too worried to wear it? Most people will think they''re semi-precious or fake anyway so it doesn''t really matter!
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 9:13:07 PM

Pandora, thank you so much for this info. I never knew that, especially with the Germans adaption of the word.
I knew there were various words, but it wasn''t till I got out there that I realised it was a bit of a sensitive subject in some quarters...

I saw a lot of pads out there, mainly by chance - I wasn''t specifically looking for them, so I didn''t pay a lot of attention when I was in a couple of showrooms that had displays. The big dealers I met just brought out trays of whatever I asked to see, which was primarily garnets and purple sapphires.

It was when I spent time with the mineowners that I really saw the fun things as I just looked through everyone''s parcels. When a potential pad turned up, they all wanted to know if IMHO it was a pad or a pink sapphire or an orange sapphire (it really changes the price). I had the same thing with a couple of European buyers I bumped into in restaurants/hotel in Ratnapura. They were all really keen to show off what they were buying and I was asked the same ''is this a pad in your opinion?'' question. (One French guy had very helpfully written what he had paid on the outside of all his stone papers, which came in rather useful later that afternoon when it came to haggling with the miners).

The same Frenchman had a very pretty 0.45ct pair of matched pads which he was planning to set as dangle earrings with blue sapphires - the blue looked amazing next to them and both brought out the best in each other. I''d never thought of a combo like that but it was spectacular.

I have quite specific colour parameters when it comes to pads, and I''d say that about 70% of the stones I saw would have been what I would describe as true pads (other people would probably have slightly different criteria - I like a good dose of orange and the stones not to be overly dark or overly pink). A lot were very small - under 0.5ct and there was a good mix of heated/non-heated.

I was very pleasantly suprised by how honest people were over heated/non heated. Not once did anyone try to tell me a heated sapphire was not heated (and the ones I bought all checked out at the lab in Colombo - I bought a fair number of stones including 4 sapphires - 3 blue and 1 that is a teal green to purple colourchange. Three were unheated, and one heated. The largest blue (2.10ct) has incredible silk. One of the others I bought as heated and then as I was leaving the office, one of the miners came rushing up to tell me he''d made a mistake and he''d come back as he didn''t want me to think he was dishonest and the stone was actually unheated...he wasn''t looking for a price increase either!).

Going in October was a good move as there was almost no-one there - DH and I were the only people in our hotel one night (a bit Shining-esque) and so as one of very few buyers in town I got to see things that I''m sure in a busier season would have been put to one side for richer, bigger fish!

It was totally nerve-wracking and I don''t think I have ever spent so much money in one afternoon (I''d saved up for a couple of years for the purpose) but a fantastic experience and I will definitely go back.

I did cart around a small rucksack full of equipment and in the end found that all I ever actually used was a x10 loupe, tweezers, a pen-light, a refractomer twice and on one occasion a chelsea filter.

The last I used in a hotel shop where the owner had a pair of tsavorite earrings with over 10ct of 1ct+ tsavs. He was having problems selling them as none of the usual clientle had ever seen a tsav and offered them to me at a pretty amazing price. Turned out he''d never seen a chelsea filter and he and his assistant had much fun trying it out on their stock. (Let''s just say I now own the earrings at an even better price and have had to buy a new chelsea filter - I hope he''s having fun with mine still!)

I did have a very nice expensive set of gem scales that sadly decided that they didn''t like travelling/humidity etc and refused to calibrate so had to weigh all the stones I bought from the miners in the old-fashioned way with a set of handscales and little chunks of metal...
20.gif

The gem lab in Colombo is free for foreigners and they will test all your stones while you sit and watch which was fun (only one of my stones turned out to be not what I was sold it as - but was what I''d hoped it might be) - you can buy reports from them as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 8:46:31 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds

Date: 3/27/2009 4:27:49 PM
Yes - but then it''s my engagement ring.

I don''t get many comments, but then this is the UK where people are a) less likely to say anything in case it comes across as inappropriate (even I have to know someone well to ask for a closer look) b) most people just don''t notice jewellery and c) coloured e-rings are pretty normal here.

My direct colleagues know I''m nuts about rocks and if I get a new rock package in the post they all want to see what is in it and although they all oooh and aaah over the stones, they''re not obsessed like me.

That''s strange and it might be to do with where we are in the UK because I''m always being asked about my rings! I''ve been asked in shops, restaurants and even in the ladies washroom at an airport once!!!

My colleagues are the same as yours and unfortunately for their bank balances, three have now turned into gemstone addicts! Whoops!

TL in answer to your question - yes. All the time. I co-ordinate with what I''m wearing. Although I have to be honest and say there are some pieces I wouldn''t wear to work (the bigger, more flashier pieces). The way I look at it is why have a collection and then be too worried to wear it? Most people will think they''re semi-precious or fake anyway so it doesn''t really matter!
2.gif

Gee, I wonder why people always ask you about your rings??
33.gif
Hmmmm??? Could it be that they''re GORGEOUS????
3.gif
3.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:41:29 PM
Author: LostSapphire

Date: 3/27/2009 3:29:13 PM
Author:tourmaline_lover
And if so, what do people say? Do you get lots of looks? Are you afraid to wear them because they might not give you a raise (LOL)?

I wear my green/pink diamond rose gold ring everyday, and I get lots and lots of looks. People can''t figure out what it is because it sparkles like a diamond, but it''s not white. I get lots of stares at my tourmaline rings as well, and actually men comment more than ladies, which I find strange but interesting.
The BLUEBERRY comes to work with me every day (yep! I''ve gone back to work!!
36.gif
).

People stare at it. TL: The ones that actually comment on mine are usually men as well. I don''t know why...though I''m ''in charge'' of 75% of the staff, most of whom are young female administrative assistants. I think most young women seem to be more into the diamonds than gemstones.

LS
It''s wonderful news that you''ve gone back to work LS.

The only rocks I take to work with me are sandstone and rundle usually!

Gailey work rocks.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I keep telling my co-worker that next position I hold it''s going to be a desk job and not bed side so that I can wear my rings...
3.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 9:27:03 AM

Date: 3/27/2009 9:13:07 PM

I knew there were various words, but it wasn''t till I got out there that I realised it was a bit of a sensitive subject in some quarters...

I saw a lot of pads out there, mainly by chance - I wasn''t specifically looking for them, so I didn''t pay a lot of attention when I was in a couple of showrooms that had displays. The big dealers I met just brought out trays of whatever I asked to see, which was primarily garnets and purple sapphires.

It was when I spent time with the mineowners that I really saw the fun things as I just looked through everyone''s parcels. When a potential pad turned up, they all wanted to know if IMHO it was a pad or a pink sapphire or an orange sapphire (it really changes the price). I had the same thing with a couple of European buyers I bumped into in restaurants/hotel in Ratnapura. They were all really keen to show off what they were buying and I was asked the same ''is this a pad in your opinion?'' question. (One French guy had very helpfully written what he had paid on the outside of all his stone papers, which came in rather useful later that afternoon when it came to haggling with the miners).

The same Frenchman had a very pretty 0.45ct pair of matched pads which he was planning to set as dangle earrings with blue sapphires - the blue looked amazing next to them and both brought out the best in each other. I''d never thought of a combo like that but it was spectacular.

I have quite specific colour parameters when it comes to pads, and I''d say that about 70% of the stones I saw would have been what I would describe as true pads (other people would probably have slightly different criteria - I like a good dose of orange and the stones not to be overly dark or overly pink). A lot were very small - under 0.5ct and there was a good mix of heated/non-heated.

I was very pleasantly suprised by how honest people were over heated/non heated. Not once did anyone try to tell me a heated sapphire was not heated (and the ones I bought all checked out at the lab in Colombo - I bought a fair number of stones including 4 sapphires - 3 blue and 1 that is a teal green to purple colourchange. Three were unheated, and one heated. The largest blue (2.10ct) has incredible silk. One of the others I bought as heated and then as I was leaving the office, one of the miners came rushing up to tell me he''d made a mistake and he''d come back as he didn''t want me to think he was dishonest and the stone was actually unheated...he wasn''t looking for a price increase either!).

Going in October was a good move as there was almost no-one there - DH and I were the only people in our hotel one night (a bit Shining-esque) and so as one of very few buyers in town I got to see things that I''m sure in a busier season would have been put to one side for richer, bigger fish!

It was totally nerve-wracking and I don''t think I have ever spent so much money in one afternoon (I''d saved up for a couple of years for the purpose) but a fantastic experience and I will definitely go back.

I did cart around a small rucksack full of equipment and in the end found that all I ever actually used was a x10 loupe, tweezers, a pen-light, a refractomer twice and on one occasion a chelsea filter.

The last I used in a hotel shop where the owner had a pair of tsavorite earrings with over 10ct of 1ct+ tsavs. He was having problems selling them as none of the usual clientle had ever seen a tsav and offered them to me at a pretty amazing price. Turned out he''d never seen a chelsea filter and he and his assistant had much fun trying it out on their stock. (Let''s just say I now own the earrings at an even better price and have had to buy a new chelsea filter - I hope he''s having fun with mine still!)

I did have a very nice expensive set of gem scales that sadly decided that they didn''t like travelling/humidity etc and refused to calibrate so had to weigh all the stones I bought from the miners in the old-fashioned way with a set of handscales and little chunks of metal...
20.gif

The gem lab in Colombo is free for foreigners and they will test all your stones while you sit and watch which was fun (only one of my stones turned out to be not what I was sold it as - but was what I''d hoped it might be) - you can buy reports from them as well.
Pandora

Thank you for posting your Sri Lanka story. Have you ever posted pictures of your booty? Love to see your earrings too!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 10:26:08 AM
Author: Gailey

And if so, what do people say? Do you get lots of looks? Are you afraid to wear them because they might not give you a raise (LOL)?

I wear my green/pink diamond rose gold ring everyday, and I get lots and lots of looks. People can''t figure out what it is because it sparkles like a diamond, but it''s not white. I get lots of stares at my tourmaline rings as well, and actually men comment more than ladies, which I find strange but interesting.
36.gif
).

People stare at it. TL: The ones that actually comment on mine are usually men as well. I don''t know why...though I''m ''in charge'' of 75% of the staff, most of whom are young female administrative assistants. I think most young women seem to be more into the diamonds than gemstones.

LS

Gailey, is the a picture of the side of your house?? If it is, it''s lovely and the stone work is beautiful. I''ve been wanting to do that to my yard. I hope you''re in good spirits, Gaily...thinking of you!

LS, I''m so glad that you''re feeling better and is back at work. I had a pit tumor many years ago and it was a bit scary. MRI done about a year ago cleared me from any relapse.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

That's strange and it might be to do with where we are in the UK because I'm always being asked about my rings! I've been asked in shops, restaurants and even in the ladies washroom at an airport once!!!

TL in answer to your question - yes. All the time. I co-ordinate with what I'm wearing. Although I have to be honest and say there are some pieces I wouldn't wear to work (the bigger, more flashier pieces). The way I look at it is why have a collection and then be too worried to wear it? Most people will think they're semi-precious or fake anyway so it doesn't really matter!
2.gif

I suppose that it could be a London thing - people only talk on the tube if you end up stuck in a tunnel for 3+ hours...
20.gif

I got loads of comments when I was in the USA which suprised me!

TL - your comment about people not realising just how expensive some garnets can be is one of my real bugbears.

I get really irritated (and probably irrationally so) when people on the LIW forum in particular suggest that people 'just get a gemstone e-ring till they can afford a diamond'.

True that there are gemstones for all budgets - and you don't have to spend $4 figures + on one to get something lovely - but it encourages the idea that a coloured stone is the option for those who can't afford a diamond, and that coloured stones are low value and second-best, which I find rather insulting.

It gets even worse when you then get people saying well of course I really like those bright blue sapphires, or a ruby would be a good option for now, and a load of us feel the need to wade in and do the whole spiel about how rare these stones are and how if you don't have the budget to buy a diamond, you probably don't have the budget to buy the kind of ruby/sapphire that most people have in their heads before they start looking at what is out there.

And then that feels insulting to people who have perfectly gorgeous stones that they have spent a modest amount on. It's a lose/lose situation all round.

It annoys me when people IRL ask if I could source them a tsavorite 'just like yours but maybe a bit bigger' as they'd like to get one as an xmas present for gf, mother etc and then tell me that their budget is around the $300 mark (including setting).

My grandmother when she saw my e-ring for the first time told me she didn't want me to be upset that my cousin gave his girlfriend a 0.60ct diamond for her enagement ring since mine was 'just' a coloured stone. I told her that DH had offered me anything I wanted for an engagement ring and that my 1.42ct tsav probably cost as much if not more than her diamond and was considerably rarer. My grandmother told me I was crazy for not taking the diamond route - even if mine was beautiful...
29.gif

I don't want to discuss what we spent for my e-ring or have to constantly justify my choice but I also HATE people assuming that my husband was either tight-fisted or that we couldn't afford a 'proper' engagement ring. (and that is with 99% of them thinking I have an emerald as well, and being in a country where coloured e-rings are not unusual!).

I will say I was pleasantly suprised by my father (who is quite into gemstones - but also tends to underestimate market costs for just about everything!) who was really taken by my Mali garnet. He and my mother asked me what I paid for it - my mother nearly passed out as she thought all garnets were worth about $10 and my father said he actually thought it was pretty reasonable. He's taking jewellery classes and I do confess to stalking his ebay account and getting rid of all the $0.99 stones with massive cracks, windows and that are just downright nasty that he has bookmarked and replacing them with something along the $30 mark that is actually worth his time setting!

I've also been open with close colleagues about price when my packages arrive and they have also been quite shocked that I might pay more than double figures for something so small that isn't a diamond - then I point out that they think nothing of dropping $400+ on a new handbag and yet when that has been consigned to the charity box, my little rock will still be shining brightly!

Okay, massive RANT over... but I'm sure others feel the same way!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 10:27:52 AM
Pandora

Thank you for posting your Sri Lanka story. Have you ever posted pictures of your booty? Love to see your earrings too!
I really need to do a photoshoot - have been promising one for ages, but the whole legal drama and being depressed made my fun hobbies something to avoid for a few months.

I've lent quite a few to a friend who has asked me to design her e-ring and source the stones but can't decide on the colour/type of stone she wants, so she's going to play with mine on her hand in different lighting and see what really speaks to her and her FI - she likes reds and he likes blues... and they don't want ANYTHING from Burma (please go with the blues!!!). The budget is potentially fun too
3.gif

Once I get them all back I'll spend a day doing a big session with the whole lot (including the earrings).

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that there is total ignorance about coloured gemstones and people tend to prefer the more traditional diamonds as e-rings. However, that doesn''t annoy me because it means there''s more gorgeous coloured gemstones for us to stalk without too much competition!!!!

When I first started collecting I too was fairly ignorant and believed that garnets were cheap and only came in red
20.gif
Some of my favourite gemstones are garnets now and I appreciate their beauty!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 10:55:03 AM
I agree that there is total ignorance about coloured gemstones and people tend to prefer the more traditional diamonds as e-rings. However, that doesn''t annoy me because it means there''s more gorgeous coloured gemstones for us to stalk without too much competition!!!!

When I first started collecting I too was fairly ignorant and believed that garnets were cheap and only came in red
20.gif
Me, too.. Garnet=red, sapphire=blue, aqua=maul blue...zircon=zirconia

My co-worker told me how she loves blue sapphire because blue is her favorite color..
20.gif
When I showed her all the different colors that sapp''s came me, she was astonished.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure what to say when coloured gemstones are offered as a cheaper alternative to those who complain that diamonds are too expensive. A top red spinel is $1000/ct and upwards, tsavorites are also easily $1000/ct and upwards and gets really high when you break the 2 ct and 3 ct marks and worse. A top unheated ruby. emerald, and blue sapphire costs more than diamonds of the same carat weight! It''s true that you can get decent stones for less than diamonds but it sure doesn''t help the reputation of super fine gemstones. It just makes coloured stones appear inferior to diamonds.
7.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora: I loved reading your story. I would love to go there too some day and just stare at those gemstones. That a wonderful experience you had.

I know what you mean about the pads. One of my rings are pink/orange and the the other is orange /pink. I am drawn to the more orangish too. That is more of what my old avatar looks like, but it does show up well in the picture.

I would love to see pictures of your gemstones too, so I can drool
9.gif

I know a few of my friends have upgraded their wedding rings for gemstone rings now. We are older though. One of my girlfriends just celebrated her 40th wedding anniversary. Her husband bought her a sapphire and diamond ring that she wears on her left hand. I haven''t seen it yet, but she loves it. Too me diamond rings are boring and there is something to be said about colored e-rings. Now I should talk, my wedding ring is a diamond, but I have been married a very long time ha. I do switch to wearing my pad though.
9.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 10:42:07 AM

2.gif

I suppose that it could be a London thing - people only talk on the tube if you end up stuck in a tunnel for 3+ hours...
20.gif

I got loads of comments when I was in the USA which suprised me!

TL - your comment about people not realising just how expensive some garnets can be is one of my real bugbears.

I get really irritated (and probably irrationally so) when people on the LIW forum in particular suggest that people ''just get a gemstone e-ring till they can afford a diamond''.

True that there are gemstones for all budgets - and you don''t have to spend $4 figures + on one to get something lovely - but it encourages the idea that a coloured stone is the option for those who can''t afford a diamond, and that coloured stones are low value and second-best, which I find rather insulting.

It gets even worse when you then get people saying well of course I really like those bright blue sapphires, or a ruby would be a good option for now, and a load of us feel the need to wade in and do the whole spiel about how rare these stones are and how if you don''t have the budget to buy a diamond, you probably don''t have the budget to buy the kind of ruby/sapphire that most people have in their heads before they start looking at what is out there.

And then that feels insulting to people who have perfectly gorgeous stones that they have spent a modest amount on. It''s a lose/lose situation all round.

It annoys me when people IRL ask if I could source them a tsavorite ''just like yours but maybe a bit bigger'' as they''d like to get one as an xmas present for gf, mother etc and then tell me that their budget is around the $300 mark (including setting).

My grandmother when she saw my e-ring for the first time told me she didn''t want me to be upset that my cousin gave his girlfriend a 0.60ct diamond for her enagement ring since mine was ''just'' a coloured stone. I told her that DH had offered me anything I wanted for an engagement ring and that my 1.42ct tsav probably cost as much if not more than her diamond and was considerably rarer. My grandmother told me I was crazy for not taking the diamond route - even if mine was beautiful...
29.gif

I don''t want to discuss what we spent for my e-ring or have to constantly justify my choice but I also HATE people assuming that my husband was either tight-fisted or that we couldn''t afford a ''proper'' engagement ring. (and that is with 99% of them thinking I have an emerald as well, and being in a country where coloured e-rings are not unusual!).

I will say I was pleasantly suprised by my father (who is quite into gemstones - but also tends to underestimate market costs for just about everything!) who was really taken by my Mali garnet. He and my mother asked me what I paid for it - my mother nearly passed out as she thought all garnets were worth about $10 and my father said he actually thought it was pretty reasonable. He''s taking jewellery classes and I do confess to stalking his ebay account and getting rid of all the $0.99 stones with massive cracks, windows and that are just downright nasty that he has bookmarked and replacing them with something along the $30 mark that is actually worth his time setting!

I''ve also been open with close colleagues about price when my packages arrive and they have also been quite shocked that I might pay more than double figures for something so small that isn''t a diamond - then I point out that they think nothing of dropping $400+ on a new handbag and yet when that has been consigned to the charity box, my little rock will still be shining brightly!

Okay, massive RANT over... but I''m sure others feel the same way!
Please add your Mali garnet to the photoshoot!

Pandora, your comments about people''s general reaction to garnets in the UK is interesting. Back in the late 70''s high street jewellers such as H. Sammuel and Ratners (you''re probably too young to remember Ratners!) were flooded with very dark red/brown garnets and they were cheap as chips. I remember this quite distinctly because I had my eye on a pear by-pass garnet ring that was in the Jewellers where I worked. This was a non-chain, high end store and although they a darker red garnets, they weren''t brown and were clear and sparkly. Of course, on my wages I couldn''t afford it, so I bought a 5 stone oval garnet ring in silver from Ratners next door! So I wonder if those low quality stones and the sheer numbers of them are responsible in part for the way the UK population thinks of garnets today.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 10:31:13 AM
Author: mochi

Date: 3/28/2009 10:26:08 AM

36.gif
).

LS

Gailey, is the a picture of the side of your house?? If it is, it''s lovely and the stone work is beautiful. I''ve been wanting to do that to my yard. I hope you''re in good spirits, Gaily...thinking of you!

LS, I''m so glad that you''re feeling better and is back at work. I had a pit tumor many years ago and it was a bit scary. MRI done about a year ago cleared me from any relapse.
Thanks Mochi

No, not my house. I put this little walkway in for a client a couple of years ago. I''ll post a bit of an update later on today on my smiley thread in Hangout. Thanks for thinking of me. XX

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 10:55:03 AM

20.gif
Ha ha LD. That gives it away - you must be my age!!!!

jake06783

Rough_Rock
I find that women comment on my gemlock( great setting, IMHO!) diamond eternity ring all the time, but men are the ones that notice any colored stones I am wearing...Although, recently I have only been wearing the diamond ring because the others are in a safety deposit box...and I have been too lazy to go get them out!

Mental note to self....get the rings out and photo them for here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results