shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think this pad. has brown undertones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture. Too much brown?

padsapph1212.jpg

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
By the picture I see on my moniter. Yes

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your honest response!
1.gif
I couldn''t figure out if it was just me being too critical or if it really does have too much brown.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It has a skintone look to me.

-A

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
SZH,

It is important to distinguish between the key color and the body or transmitted color. The stone appears to be very fine, but pictures are extremely deceiving.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
For us novices, what''s the difference between key color and body/transmitted color?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Could you ask for more photos? It's quite pretty and I love the cut.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Richard, what is the difference between key color and transmitted color?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I''d ask for more pictures if you can. I think it''s a nice looking stone.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too much brown for me, which includes the reflection.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Judging from the picture, I would say yes.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the thing, I wouldn''t judge a pad by pics. They are really horrific to photograph. Leon just posted a pic of my ring and my pad does not look like that (I think it was probably enhanced a bit as I never see hot pink in my pad!). My pics aren''t exactly true either.

The pic is actually too nice...I''d be wary, hehehe.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the padparadscha in question of African origin?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad to see so many people weighing in! Thank you all so much.

TG- I noticed that the picture on Leon's site is more pink than pad. colored. One of your side views shows the orange in your pad so perfectly; almost a sunset type color. Leon's photo did not capture that at all.

TL- You are correct, it is African in origin. Does that make a difference?

ETA: I also like the stone a lot, and the color. I'm not picky about having 'top color' or the most desired color either, and I don't mind if someone calls my ruby a pink sapphire, or my padparadascha something other than padparadascha. I was just wondering if the brown detracts 'too much' from the color of the stone...is there any way this undertone might be minimized? Does it really have a brown undertone, or is it simply just very saturated in color, which might make it look dark?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2009 11:54:24 PM
Author: szh07

TG- I noticed that the picture on Leon's site is more pink than pad. colored. One of your side views shows the orange in your pad so perfectly; almost a sunset type color. Leon's photo did not capture that at all.

Some in the colored gem world do not consider an orange/pink sapphire to be a true padparadscha unless it comes from Sri Lanka (Ceylon). This can be argued, but it's just something to be aware of. The African stones tend to have more brown in them as well. Perhaps a padparadscha expert (not me!!) can provide additional comments.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

TG- I noticed that the picture on Leon''s site is more pink than pad. colored. One of your side views shows the orange in your pad so perfectly; almost a sunset type color. Leon''s photo did not capture that at all.

ETA: I also like the stone a lot, and the color. I''m not picky about having ''top color'' or the most desired color either, and I don''t mind if someone calls my ruby a pink sapphire, or my padparadascha something other than padparadascha. I was just wondering if the brown detracts ''too much'' from the color of the stone...is there any way this undertone might be minimized? Does it really have a brown undertone, or is it simply just very saturated in color, which might make it look dark?
I really wish people could see them IRL. I didn''t get to see it in many lighting conditions before I had it set, so this past week has been fun to discover the personality of the stone. I looked down today and saw it looking completely sunset tropical orange...hardly any pink it it at all, and this was the first time I had seen that.

As I said, I think the Leon website photo is doctored. My pad never ever looks like that. Not even close.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
T-gal, I just love the sunset orange color that shows in pads. Its my favorite part; it feels almost magical to me. Yours is absolutely gorgeous. I feel the same way about my emerald. Static images, and my pictures especially, just can''t show how pretty my gems are in real life.

TL- Thank you so much for chiming in! I know you are sensitive to colors, and I was trying to channel your energy when looking at this picture.

I think the stone is beautiful, and the vendor does have a great return policy, but I can''t quite figure out if its ''the one'' pad for me.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Always look at the backgrounds used in photos. This one has a grey background and I think that it doesen''t do much good to the stone. Especially in the center, where a slight window makes the body color more greyish, and I think that''s what Richard was referring to - transmitted color i.e. color produced by light that''s just transmitted through the material without being reflected. I could be wrong though.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I think this one may need seeing in person - I agree with ma re that I don''t think the background is doing any favours in the photo.

I don''t believe it is a "true pad" colour, but personally I don''t think or care about those kinds of standards. I just buy what I like.

If you like the cut and the colour, and aren''t set on getting a "true pad", why not give it a whirl? (assuming there''s a return policy here).
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are spending a great deal of money on it, I would only get it if it had a reputable lab report indicating the level of treatment. I think 99% of padparadschas you see on the market today are be-treated and some dealers like to call them heated instead. There is a huge difference between gentle heat and be-heat treatment. The fact of the matter is that true padparadschas are extremely rare.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does it really have a brown undertone, or is it simply just very saturated in color, which might make it look dark?

Generally, when warm hued gems have lower saturation, they tend to look brownish. Cool hued gems with lower saturation look greyish. If there is brown in that particular sapphire, then it is because of lower saturation. A highly saturated gem in that hue will not display much brown-if any. I have seen some vivid padparadscha sapphires that were a highly saturated split of orange and pink--no brown.

As far as it being brown--difficult to tell what the actual hue will look like from a picture. Padparadschas (of all saturations) are inordinately difficult to photograph--as Tgal will tell you.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know much about it and it seems that everyone is saying too much brown, but I love it. I think it is a gorgeous color. If that is not what you are looking for than I can understand, but I think it is lovely.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2009 11:15:55 AM
Author: coatimundi

Does it really have a brown undertone, or is it simply just very saturated in color, which might make it look dark?

Generally, when warm hued gems have lower saturation, they tend to look brownish. Cool hued gems with lower saturation look greyish. If there is brown in that particular sapphire, then it is because of lower saturation. A highly saturated gem in that hue will not display much brown-if any. I have seen some vivid padparadscha sapphires that were a highly saturated split of orange and pink--no brown.

As far as it being brown--difficult to tell what the actual hue will look like from a picture. Padparadschas (of all saturations) are inordinately difficult to photograph--as Tgal will tell you.

Very well said, dear Coati.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Coati with regards to saturation. The more saturated it is, it will show LESS gray or LESS brown. The darkness refers to the tone.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Coati- What you are saying makes a lot of sense. Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding! I don''t think that this stone has that perfect split of orange and pink, though I do see some of each in the stone.

Chrono- I see what you mean about tone and darkness.

TL- This stone is untreated; its price is not too expensive. I imagine it might be because of its origin, or because its not top pad. color.

AJ- There is a return policy, and the seller has been very fast in answering emails. I also like to buy what I like, and don''t worry if what I''m buying is the ''most desired'' or the ''top shade''.

This really might need to be something to see in person. I keep coming back to it, but I haven''t been able to pull the trigger.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
African padparadschas do not carry the pricetag that top stones do that come from Sri Lanka. It appears to me that many of them are affordable because
1) They''re really not padparadscha color, but the vendor thinks it''s close enough
2) Many in the know do not consider them true padparadschas
3) They tend to have a brown secondary

Padparadscha is one of those stones that I would only want if I could get top color and from Sri Lanka (so there would be no doubt of it''s pedigree). The lower color grades don''t seem to do much for me, personally. Other people may feel otherwise. I compare the above stone to a rather dull looking orange brown stone. I''m sorry. JMO.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
what''s the return policy on this stone? i would buy it and see the color in real life as i think pads are hard to see the exact color on camera. If you don''t like it then return it and you won''t lose any $$ over it.

Goodluck on your search!

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Based on the photo, it does look like a fine piece.

Is the dealer selling it as "padparadscha"? Personally I would not sell a sapphire as padparadscha without a certificate, just because the term is so widely misused.

Could you give us some more information on the stone, such as the carat weight and price?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Morecarats,
I disagree, based on my monitor images, I don't consider that color to be fine. I have one monitor that does show vivid color more accurately, and even on that one, I don't see a fine color. May I ask what makes you think it is fine? I would be interested in hearing what you have to say since you are in the colored gem trade. For example, I do consider Art Nouveau's padparadscha to be a fine color. See picture below. As for this one, perhaps you're considering it fine based on the fact that it's inexpensive or some other reason. Since I'm not a padparadscha expert, I was wondering what criteria you're using. I understand it is a photo and these stones are difficult to photograph, but based on the photo, I do not consider the padparadscha in question to be "fine" color. Your answer would be a learning experience for me. Thank you in advance
1.gif

ETA: If the stone is inexpensive and has a good return policy, it may be worth it to get the stone and see it. However, just from reading a great deal on padparadschas in this forum, it sounds like one of those stones where you do not get bargains, and you only get what you pay for.

pad_new_sun1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results