Premium
What era do you think this is from

uploadfromtaptalk1378160410278.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1378160421307.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1378160435229.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: Do you think this is vintage

Your first issue is you are using and defining vintage incorrectly. Anything can be vintage. Vintage just means it is from that year. For example my vintage 1993 merlot. My vintage 2001 chevy etc. ANYTHING can be vintage.

Antique typically means it is over 100 years old.

So is your ring vintage...sure. Is it antique -highly doubtful. Because of some of the reproduction elements I would guess 1960's at the earliest. But I could be way off, but that would be my best guess. It looks like a very nice reproduction piece.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you have a good strong loupe? If so look at the diamonds, do they have a flower pattern in them like transitional diamonds or are they modern brilliants? That should give you a clue to the date. This is a line ring. You can find genuine examples of line rings dating from the mid to late 1800s (these will have rose or mine cuts in them) all the way up to the 1970s....

Yours looks like either one from late deco period - sleek metal sleek lines, or the 50s, 60s or could even be 70s. There are also modern repos but your ring looks worn (I can see its been resized at some point). The copies they currently make in Asia usually have thinner bands than this one as well.

Check for wear to the ring, wear to the diamonds on the top, wear to the metalwork around the diamonds, abrasion of the rubies, rubies are soft if they are old they will look slightly white at the edges or be slightly worn. If it looks new and shiny then it probably IS new and shiny.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1378165860|3513736 said:
Do you have a good strong loupe? If so look at the diamonds, do they have a flower pattern in them like transitional diamonds or are they modern brilliants? That should give you a clue to the date. This is a line ring. You can find genuine examples of line rings dating from the mid to late 1800s (these will have rose or mine cuts in them) all the way up to the 1970s....

Yours looks like either one from late deco period - sleek metal sleek lines, or the 50s, 60s or could even be 70s. There are also modern repos but your ring looks worn (I can see its been resized at some point). The copies they currently make in Asia usually have thinner bands than this one as well.

Check for wear to the ring, wear to the diamonds on the top, wear to the metalwork around the diamonds, abrasion of the rubies, rubies are soft if they are old they will look slightly white at the edges or be slightly worn. If it looks new and shiny then it probably IS new and shiny.

thank you for telling me what it is! I showed it to the woman who ive been shopping for and she seemed really enamored by it! Which was a good thing as it was on eBay for far under budget. I ask only because i wanted to make sure it wasnt one of those repros made in asia and passed off as something its not. The seller doesnt say its an antique, just used. I cant look at it though a loupe currently as it is on the internet.

I thought it was worn from the sizing space ( i could see that too)

From the pics i think it looks well made, but again i bring it up just because i dont want to get a chincy, and im sure she would like to know the period, if we end up getting it

She is such a peculiar girl....... ::) ::) and i love it

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1378164760|3513726 said:
Your first issue is you are using and defining vintage incorrectly. Anything can be vintage. Vintage just means it is from that year. For example my vintage 1993 merlot. My vintage 2001 chevy etc. ANYTHING can be vintage.

Antique typically means it is over 100 years old.

So is your ring vintage...sure. Is it antique -highly doubtful. Because of some of the reproduction elements I would guess 1960's at the earliest. But I could be way off, but that would be my best guess. It looks like a very nice reproduction piece.

I am in ebay mode where things are vintage or modern.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1378167246|3513749 said:
arkieb1|1378165860|3513736 said:

thank you for telling me what it is! I showed it to the woman who ive been shopping for and she seemed really enamored by it! Which was a good thing as it was on eBay for far under budget. I ask only because i wanted to make sure it wasnt one of those repros made in asia and passed off as something its not. The seller doesnt say its an antique, just used. I cant look at it though a loupe currently as it is on the internet.

I thought it was worn from the sizing space ( i could see that too)

From the pics i think it looks well made, but again i bring it up just because i dont want to get a chincy, and im sure she would like to know the period, if we end up getting it

She is such a peculiar girl....... ::) ::) and i love it

It's a difficult one to date without having really close up pics or you to be able to look at it and describe it. The older ones have more wear to the top, you see the millegrain, unless it was added after, if it was early it would be so worn you would barely see it unless its been added later. I don't think its deco because it would probably be sleek without the millegrain It doesn't look greatly worn from the top, but that mark we can both see is that it has been resized. The metal is quite thick underneath so I don't think it's a cheapy made recently in Asia and they usually line up the rubies better (straighter) in new rings.....

Without seeing the diamonds I'd guess 50s to 70s. Maybe even 80s and that it wasn't worn very much (not as an e-ring probably as a right hand or occasional or dress ring) because there isn't that much wear to it. You might be lucky and it could be earlier and just not worn much....

Hera

Ideal_Rock

It looks Art Deco and if it's platinum, then I believe it looks true to the period. (18k was used in that time but it was more rare.) The milgraining looks fine and the wear is consistent with age. The design is authentic to the period. Louping the diamonds would help verify it. They should be some sort of old cut-single cut, old mine (prob not) or oecs (much more appropriate to the time). You could always take it to an appraiser to be sure.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

heraanderson|1378171397|3513779 said:
It looks Art Deco and if it's platinum, then I believe it looks true to the period. (18k was used in that time but it was more rare.) The milgraining looks fine and the wear is consistent with age. The design is authentic to the period. Louping the diamonds would help verify it. They should be some sort of old cut-single cut, old mine (prob not) or oecs (much more appropriate to the time). You could always take it to an appraiser to be sure.

I was just about to add that if they are single cuts then you have had a win and its going to be 1910s to 1930s. Still you would think it would have more wear to the millegrain than that? They don't look like OMCs or OECs to me.

Why don't you ask the seller to look at the diamonds (especially if they have a loupe) and try and describe them or ask are they tiny rbs, single cuts, antique cuts, or transitionals. Identify the diamonds you can come closer to dating it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

its 14k

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1378171676|3513782 said:

its 14k

O.K there is no way that it's going to be Deco if its 14K unless it was never worn or the millegrain was added later or its been restored because there would be way more wear than that. Ask the seller for more info on the diamonds.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

i can tell there is some wear in the millgraining.

picture_32.png

Hera

Ideal_Rock

It's still not completely out of the question, 14k was used at that time. There were lower priced items sold at that time, too and the rubies aren't highly saturated. You need close ups of those diamonds or a good return policy.

Btw, the rubies could be synthetic.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1378171900|3513785 said:
i can tell there is some wear in the millgraining.

I think it IS a genuine antique!!!! They do look like single cuts but its a bad pic, they could be later. They don't look like OMCs or OECs.

I love it btw!!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

heraanderson|1378172194|3513788 said:
It's still not completely out of the question, 14k was used at that time. There were lower priced items sold at that time, too and the rubies aren't highly saturated. You need close ups of those diamonds or a good return policy.

Btw, the rubies could be synthetic.

Agreed. If we can see the damn diamonds clearly we can come closer to dating it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I made an offer of 200 USD and they accepted. Should I get better pics first. They have a 24 day return period. I'm a little mad they took my first offer I could have gone lower.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Niel|1378172985|3513796 said:
I made an offer of 200 USD and they accepted. Should I get better pics first. They have a 24 day return period. I'm a little mad they took my first offer I could have gone lower.

I think $200 is a good price for the piece. Though I guess I'm pessimistic. I still think it is a repo with synthetic rubies. The picture where you show the inside of the ring just doesn't look like the techniques to me that are true to that time period. But then again I'm obviously not an expert at that, just my own dealings and what not. I would be curious to know what an appraiser would say who has some knowledge. Regardless I think $200 is very fair considering it is 14k WG etc.

Arkieb- Just wanted to chime in and say I love some of your posting about antiques and art deco. You remind me of LD though she doesn't post often anymore :nono:

How is your own setting coming along?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1378174961|3513811 said:

I think $200 is a good price for the piece. Though I guess I'm pessimistic. I still think it is a repo with synthetic rubies. The picture where you show the inside of the ring just doesn't look like the techniques to me that are true to that time period. But then again I'm obviously not an expert at that, just my own dealings and what not. I would be curious to know what an appraiser would say who has some knowledge. Regardless I think $200 is very fair considering it is 14k WG etc.

Arkieb- Just wanted to chime in and say I love some of your posting about antiques and art deco. You remind me of LD though she doesn't post often anymore :nono:

Actually if the rubies are synthetic its more likely to be really old. These days you can get French Cut or carre cut real rubies that are that pinky purple colour (they are a lower quality than the blood red ones) that come out of China for not a lot of money, so the thought process in Asia is just to use genuine stones. They use genuine really dark almost black sapphires for example as well. Genuine old real vintage ones (again lower quality than the blood red ones) that would have been set in 14K of that era do come in that pinkish colour....

Me - I talked to Adam and am having this amazing internal debate with myself about sending the stone for a girdle re-polish and a new polish and a clean up - it's currently super thin and fragile and it has 2 big fleabites and a hand-full of tiny ones. I don't want to change the character of the stone and Adam got it immediately. Sending the stone fully insured to the US is super expensive and a pain in the butt. I talked to two cutters in Australia about just doing a re-polish and the girdle nothing else and neither of them really "got" the old stone thing (we don't see many of them here) so I was then pooping cats that they would probably massacre the stone in some way...

So my choices are leave it be but buy a surround type setting for it - which I didn't want particularly, or pay a large sum of money via Brinks or Malca Almit and send it via armoured guard to Adam and then on to Victor for a setting.....

Here is a Ruby Band I own - 1920s platinum, blood red French Cut rubies.... I took a picture of my 18K yellow gold Victor band the other day for Acinom when she wanted to look at the hand carved work Victor does so I have it on my computer.... excuse the hideous dry hands its winter here and I was in a hurry!!!

ruby_band_0.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock

arkieb1|1378181884|3513849 said:
SB621|1378174961|3513811 said:

Actually if the rubies are synthetic its more likely to be really old. These days you can get French Cut or carre cut real rubies that are that pinky purple colour (they are a lower quality than the blood red ones) that come out of China for not a lot of money, so the thought process in Asia is just to use genuine stones. They use genuine really dark almost black sapphires for example as well. Genuine old real vintage ones (again lower quality than the blood red ones) that would have been set in 14K of that era do come in that pinkish colour....

Me - I talked to Adam and am having this amazing internal debate with myself about sending the stone for a girdle re-polish and a new polish and a clean up - it's currently super thin and fragile and it has 2 big fleabites and a hand-full of tiny ones. I don't want to change the character of the stone and Adam got it immediately. Sending the stone fully insured to the US is super expensive and a pain in the butt. I talked to two cutters in Australia about just doing a re-polish and the girdle nothing else and neither of them really "got" the old stone thing (we don't see many of them here) so I was then pooping cats that they would probably massacre the stone in some way...

So my choices are leave it be but buy a surround type setting for it - which I didn't want particularly, or pay a large sum of money via Brinks or Malca Almit and send it via armoured guard to Adam and then on to Victor for a setting.....

Here is a Ruby Band I own - 1920s platinum, blood red French Cut rubies.... I took a picture of my 18K yellow gold Victor band the other day for Acinom when she wanted to look at the hand carved work Victor does so I have it on my computer.... excuse the hideous dry hands its winter here and I was in a hurry!!!

ruby_band_0.jpg

Absolutely! Synthetics were very prevalent during that time so it's almost expected if they are pretty clean in clarity.

I'm nomming all over your ruby band, Arkieb1!!!! :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Shat do you guys think of the price?

I heard bad from the seller but he wasn't too much help. Called the stone MRB but the rubies princess cut so I don't know.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

I found the listing. Just PASS on it. There should NOT be any princess cuts in that setting and it was difficult to tell because the rubies are so opaque but they do appear to be princess cuts. I couldn't tell if the diamonds were single cuts but at that distance, I should be able to make out a single cut. Whatever they are, they aren't good quality. I saw some of the other stuff they were selling and it was pretty low quality as well. Keep looking, there's some pretty ruby stuff out there!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it was Platinum it would be a steal. 14K it's a good price but not a complete knock over bargain. If you said it was $150.00 or less there would be high fives all around.... If its got nice diamonds - then it's a great price and if they are genuine rubies still a great price, if you get it and we can date it as a genuine Antique even with synthetic rubies (which was common of the period they used to cost more than real rubies believe it or not, I've seen these really cool old brochures advertising man made stones back then as space aged and something really desirable and special.....) it would still be a great price. Make sure there is a return policy since the guy is so vague and get it and see....

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

heraanderson|1378196080|3513885 said:
I found the listing. Just PASS on it. There should NOT be any princess cuts in that setting and it was difficult to tell because the rubies are so opaque but they do appear to be princess cuts. I couldn't tell if the diamonds were single cuts but at that distance, I should be able to make out a single cut. Whatever they are, they aren't good quality. I saw some of the other stuff they were selling and it was pretty low quality as well. Keep looking, there's some pretty ruby stuff out there!

I haven't seen the listing at all and have not looked for it. If the rest of the stuff there is complete trash then that could be good advice. If its vintage and nice the other listings should either be a wild mix of stuff or other vintage and nice items.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd be more inclined to pass if there was any way of finding a similar one. I've not seen anything like this. If you know one similar, I'd love to see it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agreed. I have seen genuine antique, similar but slightly different line rings on European Ebay and from time to time on Rubylane. They are most frequently sapphire ones. Diamond line rings are common but more expensive. Emerald ones quite rare. Ruby ones no matter the quality don't come up that often.... I wonder if anyone knows if there are any places that make copy ones. That might be another option. If you love it or the SIL loves it then you may not find another easily regardless of quality for that price. I will email a large vendor I know that sells Antique items cheaply and ask if she has any at the moment.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1378209863|3513916 said:
Agreed. I have seen genuine antique, similar but slightly different line rings on European Ebay and from time to time on Rubylane. They are most frequently sapphire ones. Diamond line rings are common but more expensive. Emerald ones quite rare. Ruby ones no matter the quality don't come up that often.... I wonder if anyone knows if there are any places that make copy ones. That might be another option. If you love it or the SIL loves it then you may not find another easily regardless of quality for that price. I will email a large vendor I know that sells Antique items cheaply and ask if she has any at the moment.

Youre the best! youve been very helpful to me and i greatly appreciate it!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Adam actually utilizes a company that does art deco repos include line rings. I think their pricing is pretty good but you wouldn't get one for under $200 new.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SB621|1378214850|3513939 said:

Adam actually utilizes a company that does art deco repos include line rings. I think their pricing is pretty good but you wouldn't get one for under $200 new.

OWD?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This listing has ended but the standard line rings you find look like this one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ruby-and-diamond-engagement-ring-/171057746593?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=5CwuNUPZwPhAswesngqWTsPN5Z0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Or this one that goes in the other direction;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181152713963?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I had a beautiful ornate sapphire one in my Ebay saved list but it was on there so long it fell off.... Will wait and see if the lady I know gets back to me with anything. You probably wont find one exactly like that one easily and that cheaply.

They have half a dozen names for them, the antique dealers I know call them line rings but also try band rings, row rings, or a general search under deco rings. You can get bands with diamonds on either side and different colour french cuts in the middle that spin they have different names too such as - night and day rings or flipping or spinning rings.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1|1378218446|3513966 said:
This listing has ended but the standard line rings you find look like this one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ruby-and-diamond-engagement-ring-/171057746593?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&nma=true&si=5CwuNUPZwPhAswesngqWTsPN5Z0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Or this one that goes in the other direction;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181152713963?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I had a beautiful ornate sapphire one in my Ebay saved list but it was on there so long it fell off.... Will wait and see if the lady I know gets back to me with anything. You probably wont find one exactly like that one easily and that cheaply.

They have half a dozen names for them, the antique dealers I know call them line rings but also try band rings, row rings, or a general search under deco rings. You can get bands with diamonds on either side and different colour french cuts in the middle that spin they have different names too such as - night and day rings or flipping or spinning rings.

Oh those are pretty. I'll try those searches.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Yes OWD and I have always referred to them as row rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results