shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think I'd be clever enough to make this ..

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not right now - because in broke
But you know nice to have a little project in the wings
Was thinking of just making it in silver first ?
I'd have to source the tiny little pearls etc

Attachments

• pearldaisychain29.jpg
    pearldaisychain29.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 28

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh...I love that. The technique is simple enough and it looks like a fun project! So the answer is yes ;-)

Does it specify what gauge wire is used? The challenge with pearls is making sure the holes are large enough for whatever you want need to pass through...it looks like the hole has to be large enough for the wire has to pass through twice.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh...I love that. The technique is simple enough and it looks like a fun project! So the answer is yes ;-)

Does it specify what gauge wire is used? The challenge with pearls is making sure the holes are large enough for whatever you want need to pass through...it looks like the hole has to be large enough for the wire has to pass through twice.

Good point
Thank you
this is ecactly why i thought I'd make this thread
I guess when i buy the pearls i make sure the hole is big enough which is 26 gauge

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point
Thank you
this is ecactly why i thought I'd make this thread
I guess when i buy the pearls i make sure the hole is big enough which is 26 gauge

I would use wire because I think the wrap will give you a much nicer finish/look than thread. You can use inexpensive artistic wire to keep costs down.

Because it looks like you will need to pass the wire through twice, you want a hole that would accommodate a single 18-19 gauge wire. (Someone needs to check me on this because I am a pure amateur at this stuff)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would use wire because I think the wrap will give you a much nicer finish/look than thread. You can use inexpensive artistic wire to keep costs down.

Because it looks like you will need to pass the wire through twice, you want a hole that would accommodate a single 18-19 gauge wire. (Someone needs to check me on this because I am a pure amateur at this stuff)

Thank you
All help muchly appreciated as I'll get discouraged if it doesn't work out

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is wire wrapping only, therefore, even I could do it! :lol-2:

However, IMHO, one would need a reamer tool to make the hole bigger for the pearl that has 2 wires going through it, and I could not see it on the pic of the tools.

Good luck!

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

However, IMHO, one would need a reamer tool to make the hole bigger for the pearl that has 2 wires going through it, and I could not see it on the pic of the tools.

Good luck!

What's a reamer tool ?
....googerling

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Good luck!

Goodness me they range in price for $20 up to $150 :-o

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pile of little pearls, from the “haul”, I’ll go look for them.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve got some pearls, some jet beads, some garnet beads, some angelskin coral beads and some dark pearls (whatever type they are called). 4265846A-D99E-4252-A12A-A372C97A9FE0.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ive got some wire too.
DD is locked in the study so I can’t get in and rummage currently. And for free of course.
I think the pink coral ones would look nice with a garnet bead centre or vice versa.
I use these beads making my dangles but the smaller ones are more fiddly so I use 6mm or 8mm beads mostly.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve got some pearls, some jet beads, some garnet beads, some angelskin coral beads and some dark pearls (whatever type they are called). 4265846A-D99E-4252-A12A-A372C97A9FE0.jpeg

I would like to run my fingers through them (mind you wouldn't want to damage the jet)

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you want to spend the rest of your life enlarging drill holes, get a reamer. If you want to do other stuff and finish the piece, get a couple of pearl drill bits of the appropriate size and an ordinary hand-held household put-up-shelves drill and drill the enlargement. It's pretty straightforward so long as you are careful not to drill your thumb.
I put a video of doing it up on youtube years ago

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly @Daisys and Diamonds its easy. If you’re worried, try using monofilament first. A reamer tool should be relatively inexpensive , I think mine was less than 10 pounds. Do you have any shops like Hobbycraft there? Alternatively, I bought most of my jewellery making tools and supplies on EBay

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 I would give quite a bit to spend a day with your drawers and trays and boxes... It seems like there's a new lot to explore every three or four threads I see you in... :halo::o:sun:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds That's so pretty!! And YES, you definitely could make that!! You have the patience of a saint and patience is most of what you need right!?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Daisy, I definitely think you can pull that off! I really like the necklace - it's delicate, lovely, and suits your name! And goodness, doesn't it look beautiful layered like that?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Daisy, I definitely think you can pull that off! I really like the necklace - it's delicate, lovely, and suits your name! And goodness, doesn't it look beautiful layered like that?

Thank you Odette
I'm really enjoying the layered look - (another reason to go with silver)
who would have thought 20 years ago Camila Parker Bowles would one day influence my jewlery preferences :lol:
HRH has been doing a classy looking layered look of late - all be it in gold

And im always on the look out for cute (but not childish) daisies

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently ordered some small pearls from wen. Waiting for them to come in. I seem to remember her selling reamer tools as well. Though I believe when you buy form her you may be able to specify drill hole size.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds - 26 gauge half-hard wire is a good choice (@lilmosun - 18 gauge would be a bit too thick for this project unfortunately). A pearl reamer is relatively easy to use if you don't have a lot of pearls to enlarge. Wet the reamer or the pearl the before you use it to avoid the pearl dust. It looks like a fun project and I'm sure it will be lovely.

I'm attaching a link a Beadalon reamer which has a very quick 2 minute video.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Girl, you are more than clever enough. All the pearls I've ever worked will only allow one 26 gage wire to pass through so battery or electric reamer essential. I'm coming over and will cheer you on. Put the kettle on...

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds - 26 gauge half-hard wire is a good choice (@lilmosun - 18 gauge would be a bit too thick for this project unfortunately). A pearl reamer is relatively easy to use if you don't have a lot of pearls to enlarge. Wet the reamer or the pearl the before you use it to avoid the pearl dust. It looks like a fun project and I'm sure it will be lovely.

I'm attaching a link a Beadalon reamer which has a very quick 2 minute video.

Apologies if I wasn't clear. I was trying to say that in order to run 26 gauge wire through twice, the hole would need to be large enough for a single 18-19 gauge wire (which is slightly over 2x as thick). But I probably should've just stated it in terms of measurements.

My experience is similar to @Pearlescence and @Begonia . I find using a manual reamer can be tedious and only use it when an occasional pearl has a hole slightly smaller than the others (and then there are times I give up and just use another pearl, lol). But I am just a casual beader.

What size pearls does the pattern call for?

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Apologies if I wasn't clear. I was trying to say that in order to run 26 gauge wire through twice, the hole would need to be large enough for a single 18-19 gauge wire (which is slightly over 2x as thick). But I probably should've just stated it in terms of measurements.

My experience is similar to @Pearlescence and @Begonia . I find using a manual reamer can be tedious and only use it when an occasional pearl has a hole slightly smaller than the others (and then there are times I give up and just use another pearl, lol). But I am just a casual beader.

What size pearls does the pattern call for?

@lilmosun - My apologies, I should have figured that out. That's what happens when I post when tired and stressed (lol).

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Of course you are clever enough to make this!
You are so kind & intelligent, I believe with your positivity alone along with some elbow grease that combo could get you pretty far in almost anything!

Plus I love the style of necklace, it has girlish charm that is still mature & classy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results