shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you swear?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another favorite of mine is "Oh crumbs", a nod to James Herriot and my English ancestry. My kids and husband have picked up on that one, calling unpleasant things "crumbish".

You know, reading that made me think our (US) word "crummy" must have that origin, and sure enough, an alternate spelling is "crumby"!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, people vary, but it still surprises me that some people don't swear. :eek-2:
I'm sincerely curious ... why in the world not swear?

I see swearing as beneficial to mental health.
It lets things out, instead of letting them build up and fester inside.
Just let it out, I say.
When you stub your toe, nobody thinks, "Golly Gee, I'll just smile and say, "Oh, what a lovely sunny day it is." Then everyone will think more highly of me. :doh::roll:

Language is communication.
Its job is to express what we think and feel.
Doing that well is better than doing it poorly.

I see words as tools that do the job of expression of what is in one's mind, as do the colors on an artist's palette.
Words, and colors, are combined into infinite combinations to best express the nuances of our thoughts and feelings.

Only swear words can perfectly express X.
No other word(s) can say X as does that taboo word.

IMO obeying ancient and pious made-up rules to censor strongly-effective words is in no way "moral".
IMO it is a tiresome and archaic impediment to effective diction.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all. Why not? Because I was raised not to swear.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all. Why not? Because I was raised not to swear.
Huh?
So members of the Nazi Youth were justified in going along with how they were raised because they were ... "raised that way"? :doh:

IMO none of us are finished "being raised" till the day we die.
It is possible after age 18, to keep thinking, learning and improving ourselves.

But then, people vary.
I'm sure some adults are convinced the only right way to be is to mindlessly conform to what their parents and their parents' religion allowed.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see swearing as beneficial to mental health.
It lets things out, instead of letting them build up and fester inside.
Just let it out,
Kenny, You are a M&*%#XX#**%R!!. :praise: Now I feel much better..:lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, You are a M&*%#XX#**%R!!. :praise: Now I feel much better..:lol:

Oh DF, I'm so touched.
I always suspected you saw me as your perfect hot and sexy love object.

So ... when do we dump our SOs so we can sail off into the sunset :kiss2: gazing blissfully into each other's blindingly sparkling diamonds ... illuminate by the Duracell LED spotlights shinning down from our headbands?

We could live in China or in the USA.
Your call, Babe. ;-)

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LMAO at the Visa in the swear jar.

Who gets the money? ... I assume the religion that convinced you that swearing is a sin, and that that money will buy your forgiveness.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny When I stub my toe, a loud "OWWWW" is good enough for me to express myself.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay. =)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be interesting to see what our favorite swear words are but not sure that merits a whole new thread...

Mine is F***** he**
Or more specifically F**** he** Oliver.

:lol:

Come to think of it my cursing increased quite a bit when Oliver joined our family.

:wink2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About the kids....my older son never swore, as a little kid and even now as a teenager he is very rule abiding.

Our second son is six and he is a whole other story. The other day he comes up to me and told me he said a bad word.

“Mom, I just said a** in my room”

Yup, and you just said it again!!

He has also said the f-word while playing MarioKart. We do correct him but something tells me he is going to be the one to watch out for. Honestly it does surprise me a bit because we don’t swear much but he is like a sponge. Once he hears it, that’s it!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be interesting to see what our favorite swear words are but not sure that merits a whole new thread...

LOL

My ex had a favorite that I though was funny.
When he encountered something shocking he'd say, "Well F me gently with a chain saw!"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL

My ex had a favorite that I though was funny.
When he encountered something shocking he'd say, "Well F me gently with a chain saw!"

:lol:

and

Ouch.

LOL.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:shock: OUCH!

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Two years ago I got very badly bitten at work by a large dog. I had to go into hospital to be put on iv antibiotics as the bite had broken the bone in my thumb. They had to clean the wound & started to give me ring block injections to numb the wound. Well,the ring blocks did not work & with every stab of the needle I swore the F word because it hurt so much. The Dr. stopped & said to me "If you carry on swearing I will refuse to treat you" Instead I rolled around on the trolly to try & tolerate the pain. He stopped & said " I've had enough of this nonesence, give her a general anaesthetic" So that's what they did, all because I swore. I might add that I was not shouting, just muttering under my breath!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... The Dr. stopped & said to me "If you carry on swearing I will refuse to treat you" Instead I rolled around on the trolly to try & tolerate the pain. He stopped & said " I've had enough of this nonesence, give her a general anaesthetic" So that's what they did, all because I swore. I might add that I was not shouting, just muttering under my breath!

I wonder whether this qualifies as malpractice.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock

We did think this but the medics all stick together over claims of malpractice & I'd had enough stress with a week in hospital, 6 weeks with no wages & the stress of the amount of pain I was in that I decided to just move on with my life. I'd had enough of the shitty little man

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It certainly qualifies as sub par care imo. Unbelievable. Why do some people go
into the medical profession caring for patients? If one possesses no empathy one doesn’t belong in direct patient care. IMO.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like putting you under general wasn't a medical necessity.
The snowflakey Dr did that because of his selfishness, @ssholiness, and intolerance of diversity.
He also drove the bill up for you and/or your insurance company.
I'd at least inform your insurance company of this.

If you had had a bad outcome from the general he'd really be up sh!t creek.

Last edited:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't call them swear words I call them words and I use them liberally.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who gets the money? ... I assume the religion that convinced you that swearing is a sin, and that that money will buy your forgiveness.

@kenny, hell no - if I find that swear jar the money can go in to my jewelry fund!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Two years ago I got very badly bitten at work by a large dog. I had to go into hospital to be put on iv antibiotics as the bite had broken the bone in my thumb. They had to clean the wound & started to give me ring block injections to numb the wound. Well,the ring blocks did not work & with every stab of the needle I swore the F word because it hurt so much. The Dr. stopped & said to me "If you carry on swearing I will refuse to treat you" Instead I rolled around on the trolly to try & tolerate the pain. He stopped & said " I've had enough of this nonesence, give her a general anaesthetic" So that's what they did, all because I swore. I might add that I was not shouting, just muttering under my breath!

What a judgmental a**hole!!! Seriously! All of the swearwords in the book should be reserved for people like that....

I, too, swear like a sailor. I'm pretty sure my DD's first word was "dammit." But to my credit, I have yet to swear in front of my students. Success?

O geez. I'm so sorry that happened to you. It reminds me of that heartbreaking case where a kid called 911 b/c her mom was really hurt. The kid was swearing so the 911 operator chastised her and then hung up on the girl. Some people are just in the wrong profession☹

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's okay for adults to swear, why not kids?
Please don't shoot me; I'm just asking.

If it's not okay for kids to swear, then why is it okay for adults to?
Isn't this hypocrisy or a double standard (which BTW I'm also guilty of)?

Generally, I support freedom to do what comes natural to us, and causes no harm to others.
Also, I eschew guilt and shame when there is no rational reason an action deserves guilt and shame.

My moral compass dictates my right to swing my arm ends at your nose.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use to date a sailor...so yeah...I do lol

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hell no !

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny I can only speak for my kids, they are not old enough to know the appropriate times and environments and can get carried away if you give them too much freedom with swear words. My 14 year old knows when it is appropriate but if his younger brother hears him, he will mimic him and not have the discretion the older one has.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results