shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you support child-free zones on commercial airlines?

Do you support child-free zones on commercial airlines?

• Yes

Votes: 49 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 22.2%

• Total voters

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There probably are some children whose needs are met but who just continue to cry for whatever reason, sure. Mine cries after being changed/fed/has slept if she wants ATTENTION. So, if I had witness what Fortekitty had, I would put on my judgy pants too.

I think another issue with kids acting up on planes is that people hype it up to their child, get them all excited/nervous BECAUSE IT'S A BIG THING--OMG WE'RE FLYING IN AN AIRPLANE SO HIGH IN THE SKY!!! Duh, your kid is not going to be able to sleep or entertain himself quietly if you've told him you're going on an awesome, exciting adventure, the likes of which no child has ever before experienced. ;))

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would support it, sure. I haven't had too much difficulty on flights with kids, but when I have, it's mostly been the parents' fault. That said, it being the parents' fault doesn't make the kid any quieter! Some people actually have to work on flights, or need to sleep, so I can see the appeal.

I'm fine with my noise-cancelling headphones. Those block out kids AND adults, and clearly send the "Don't bother chatting with me" vibe. :halo:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about a clue-by-4 to smack bad parents instead?
A fussy child whose parents are trying their best is one thing, bad parents who do nothing is a whole different story.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think it's silly. Don't you think that you will still hear a crying kid a few rows back? I fully expect my plane ride to be crowded and annoying. I feel this is just a way for airlines to charge a few more dollars for an already outrageous airfare ticket.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1360708827|3378632 said:
A fussy child whose parents are trying their best is one thing, bad parents who do nothing is a whole different story.

Not all kids are problems. I haven't flown in years, many years. My daughter, as a teenager, has been a problem child in many ways (although she has excellent "company manners"). She was a wonderful infant, toddler, and child , however! At age two she sat through the the entire Christmas portion of, "The Messiah" performed in a church and listened without talking or moving a muscle! When we adopted her she was not yet three months old and I was sick as a dog with gastro-intestinal problems caused by Colombia. I could hardly si up. My aunt was with me and held the baby on her lap. She didn't make a sound the entire flight even though she desperately needed a change of diaper and clothes by the end of the flight! Barring her from a flight would have been stupid and unnecessary.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1360761185|3379027 said:

Not all kids are problems. I haven't flown in years, many years. My daughter, as a teenager, has been a problem child in many ways (although she has excellent "company manners"). She was a wonderful infant, toddler, and child , however! At age two she sat through the the entire Christmas portion of, "The Messiah" performed in a church and listened without talking or moving a muscle! When we adopted her she was not yet three months old and I was sick as a dog with gastro-intestinal problems caused by Colombia. I could hardly si up. My aunt was with me and held the baby on her lap. She didn't make a sound the entire flight even though she desperately needed a change of diaper and clothes by the end of the flight! Barring her from a flight would have been stupid and unnecessary.

Deb/AGBF
Hi Deb!!!
I'm a little confused I never said they all a problem.
I just have a problem with bad parents who do nothing.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I'm betting that the adults who have hissy fits over children on airplanes were those very same kids many years ago.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1360625790|3377891 said:
I don't get it. You could be in the back of the quiet zone and a child near you might be in the front of the other section, so that could backfire. I think flying is just one of those things where patience and understanding can go a long way.

I completely agree with the bold part. I was thinking how it would be even MORE annoying to pay extra to sit in the "quiet zone" and have a kid kicking my seat and making a ton of noise right behind me. I'd rather just focus my energy on being positive and supporting the parent dealing with the roudy kid. I'd get a lot more out of showing them that I'm not really bothered [even if I am, no sense in making them feel worse] then I would stewing angrily in my seat the entire flight.

Seems like this is only a good practice if you can completely separate the zone and those spaces seem to be used mostly for business and first class tickets on the large international flights.

When it comse to annoying travel stuff I've been WAY more bothered by people with extreme body odor or broad shouldered men taking over my personal space. The last time I flew back from England a whole family with aversion to deoderant use say in front of DH and me. I had to sit with my scarf (freshly washed the night before with very heavily scented soap) in front of my face. Nasty.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1360637000|3378008 said:
I think it's another silly way for airlines to make money off of people who would like to maintain the illusion of control.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. I could not agree more.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1360702559|3378527 said:
I don't have kids but my siblings are significantly younger and I remember flying with them when they were infants. Luckily they didn't cry except during take-off and landing when the pressure hurt. :(

The example I mentioned involved a toddler and he clearly wanted his parent's attention, they told him to sit down and just ignored him! I was waiting for the bathroom and standing by them when the flight attendant asked if there was anything she could do to help, and they said, "he just wants to be picked up, and we're not going to because he's spoiled. Just let him cry, he'll stop eventually" --- and he continued to cry for hours while his parents watched movies. WTF?!??? :angryfire: I normally feel bad for parents with crying babies because there's not much they can do. These parents, however... you bet I judged!

Yeah, that was very inconsiderate of the parents since they were on a plane with others who could not leave.

BTW, I have the same 'problem' with my parrot.
She was a hand fed baby and I gave her too much constant attention when I first got her.
So yes she's spoiled and it's my fault.

There are times when she just wants and demands attention.
She gets TOOOOONS of love affection, attention, and new interesting toys to chew up daily, probably more than 99.999% of parrot pets get.

I understand that; she doesn't.
Like a baby she wants just what she wants, and does not have an adult mind that keeps everyone's needs in perspective.

So I do try to ignore her crying sometimes, at least when I'm alone.
But when the SO comes home I give in and keep her quiet.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1360771979|3379133 said:
AGBF|1360761185|3379027 said:

Hi Deb!!!
I'm a little confused I never said they all a problem.
I just have a problem with bad parents who do nothing.

I didn't mean to direct my comments at you, Karl, just at the notion that children caused a problem on airplanes. My point was meant to be that no one would ever know some children were on a plane. I meant that in many cases neither a child nor the child's parent caused any disruption at all. I meant to address the topic of the thread, not you!

Deb
:wavey:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
iluvcarats|1360773785|3379153 said:
I'm betting that the adults who have hissy fits over children on airplanes were those very same kids many years ago.

I don't think anyone here is having a hissy fit over children being on airplanes. Most of us are fine with kids. It's the adults.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubyshoes|1360626551|3377897 said:
Eh. I am very tolerant of children when I fly. Yes, it is annoying sometimes but flying is a PITA for everyone, including small kids. So they make a fuss sometimes, big deal. Just FYI, I don't even have kids. If they want to do child-free zones, or even special flights that are child-free, ok. If they don't want to, again, ok.

What else will they try to control? Adults who fart while they sleep? Special zone for them? Would be nice if that could happen. I once traveled Chicago to Honolulu and the man next to me slept the entire time BUT also farted constantly in his sleep. I wanted to throw up. :knockout: No kid on any flight has been as terrible a co-passenger as that guy. Special zone for passengers who constantly talk to you when you just want to read your kindle? Special zone for adults who take over too much of the armrest? Or the ones who are rude to the flight attendants? Or the ones who get sloshed on free drinks? Flying will never be a joy, so we might as well just cross our fingers and hope for the best and also not sweat the small stuff. Kids are the least of my worries when I travel. It's the adults who make me mad.

Still laughing, so funny!! :appl: :appl:

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1360783670|3379302 said:

I don't think anyone here is having a hissy fit over children being on airplanes. Most of us are fine with kids. It's the adults.

I'm talking about the people you see on the plane making a fuss, not PSers commenting in the thread (unless of course they behave that way)
But an Annoying Adult Free Zone would be a great idea! But I have a feeling there would be a difference of opinions concerning who should sit there ;-)

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I don't really see the point. It would be like having a smoking section on a plane. Um... smoke travels, as does sound.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I do. And I also support a "no drunk zone" and a "no chatting" zone.

Once, when DS was 3, we flew on a puddle jumper, a tiny plane with about 16 seats. DS started saying "Plane fall dooooowwwnnn. Plane fall down." in a loud, spooky voice. I tried to distract and shush him, but he wouldn't stop. (He was a pain in the butt, stubborn child. Still is. :rolleyes: ) Slowly but surely, all the passengers looked more horrified as we went along. When the plane finally landed, everyone rushed off, to kiss the ground I think. :bigsmile:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Clairitek|1360774183|3379161 said:
Circe|1360637000|3378008 said:
I think it's another silly way for airlines to make money off of people who would like to maintain the illusion of control.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. I could not agree more.

Yep. Of all of the nightmares I've experienced on planes, it was always adults that caused them. Now, if I could afford to fly on Emirates or another airline that gives you your own little pod with a door and a seat that goes flat, I would. But I can't, so I remind myself it's a necessary evil, and have a couple of mini bottles of wine. Funny how much nicer flying is when you're a little drunk...

cm366

Shiny_Rock
No philosophical problem with it - I've eaten in restaurants that either overtly or implicitly didn't take children during 'prime' hours, and gone to bars or clubs that turned into 'over-18s' or 'over-21s' only after a certain time. I don't know that I'd pay extra for it - as many have said, it seems logistically challenging - but if people wish to and feel they're benefiting, why not? Full disclosure: I don't have kids, but don't understand the (ethical? moral?) argument against this. If people wish to sit further away from your kids, does that offend you? I get that there are adults who are annoying on flights, but I think it's clear from the long list of varied complaints that everyone would sit further away from annoyances if they could. If kids are high on someone's list of annoyances...?

As far as the price of airline tickets - they're massively subsidized and tie up large proportions of their cost in bureaucratic shuffle. I resent this bitterly. On the other hand, it's nice to get cheap(er) flights and very nice to know that the pilots are thoroughly checked out before they set foot on board. SO I guess I can't whine too much :???:

I guess I look at kids on planes in much the same way (ready your flames!) as emotional support animals. You, the responsible adult, are in fact responsible for everything you bring on the plane. If it's your minor child, then you are kicking my seat or screaming (or being good and very cute, I've flown with both). If it's your dog or cat, I'm equally cool with that - but if it leaves a gift on my shoe or panics on takeoff, clawing my legs, then you're doing that too. As with any other behaviour, (clipping your toenails in the seat? Really?), it may be pleasant, annoying, or so noxious that I'm unwilling to sit next to you (masturbating under a blanket in 14C, I'm looking at you!). If it gets to that point, or if I've pushed you that far, then act like an adult, call the host(ess), explain the problem and let them rectify it. Patience, as monarch and others have said so well, gets you a lot of points in my book :appl:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have two kids and have to admit if I were to go on a vacation without my kids, it'd be nice not to hear other kids cry or kick the back of my seat. You know, a COMPLETE break from kids. :cheeky:

The child-free zone makes no sense though as others has said b/c you still can hear a screaming child from across many rows. They would have to offer child-free flights... I'm not sure if I'd pay more for one of those, though... lol!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1360631169|3377938 said:
I support it but I think child-free flights would be more successful than zones.
Seriously, though, I've found adults to be more irritating on flights than children.

Yeah, child-free flights make a lot more sense than child-free zones. Isn't that a bit like how non-smoking sections used to be in restaurants? You can still smell the smoke.

Now that I have kids of my own, I'm a lot more patient and tolerant. Nine times out of ten, the parents are the ones who aren't reigning in their unruly children.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend just got back from Aruba and paid for extra leg room (I didn't know this was done nowadays), although she and her husband were in coach on their flights to and from the island. Her complaint was that she she had only part of her seat to herself because the person beside her spilled over his seat and literally couldn't help taking up the entire armrest.

Since we had already had a thorough discussion here on Pricescope about overweight passengers on airlines, I was surprised that no one had charged some chubby person extra for an extra seat. She made it clear, however, that the large person was a handsome, healthy man. I got the impression, when she described him and said he couldn't help it, that he had been given a pass on taking up space since he wasn't overweight! I guess if you're 6'6" and 280 pounds of muscle, the airlines don't penalize you for your size. And I know I'm off topic...but this just came up. I think the rules are all screwed up.

Deb
:saint:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF,
Certain seats, such as the bulkhead and exit row seats, which generally do have more leg room, are now considered 'premium' or some other term and are subject to extra fees.

I thought it was understood that super tall and muscular people should also have to pay for an extra seat? Maybe not, but since I'm neither, I don't qualify in that case :)

D

Deactivated member 42515

iLander said:
I do. And I also support a "no drunk zone" and a "no chatting" zone.

Once, when DS was 3, we flew on a puddle jumper, a tiny plane with about 16 seats. DS started saying "Plane fall dooooowwwnnn. Plane fall down." in a loud, spooky voice. I tried to distract and shush him, but he wouldn't stop. (He was a pain in the butt, stubborn child. Still is. :rolleyes: ) Slowly but surely, all the passengers looked more horrified as we went along. When the plane finally landed, everyone rushed off, to kiss the ground I think. :bigsmile:
You're DS sounds hilarious! Haha I would have been laughing if I heard her say that!

As for me, I've been on three plane rides as an adult. Every time, I have sat next to children. And every time, I have been so lucky. *Knock on wood* The children were amazing, the parents were amazing. The toddlerish children played on the iPad and the babies stayed quiet. The dad would pay attention to one child and the mom the other and take turns. Beautiful team work. So I have had no problems with screaming children.

Barfing teenagers on the other hand... Every single flight. I am down wind of a barfing teenager. You know the air that blows in front of you, well, I guess it streams the air from the chairs in front because my god, the air was barf city. Coffee grinds are out everywhere to reduce the smell but we are in a tiny cabin... The smells not going anywhere. Every time, barfing teenager.

Wonderful toddler/babies, horrible barfing teenagers.

But I would never ban children from a section because I didn't like them. I would ban adults. There's worse adults on flights than children!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I don't think anyone should be subjected to unruly and screaming children anywhere. A plane is a confined space that leaves no where to get away from it. I don't think that sound travels as far in a plane as, say, in a supermarket, so a restricted area sounds good to me. Its not the children per se, but poorly behaved children. Of course some can't help it, kids get cranky. Parents ought to anticipate some problems and be prepared to distract the child or handle the behavior. We all know that kids get cranky.n Bring their favorite snack, or a bottle to lull them asleep.

My SIL and I brought my niece on a plane from Chicago to New york at age one. She was perfecft, but she had two mommies to play with her on the trip. We did not take the three yr old, because we knew she would be too hard to handle. so Dad watched the 3 yr old at home. To think that people on a plane should be so tolerant of misbehaving children is to expect too much. Give me a kids free zone.

Annette

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw this article under the title "Guy Slaps Baby On Plane, Loses Job". The site it was on was newser.com, and I don't know how reliable a source of news that is, so I am not vouching for the veracity of this story. It may or may not be true. If it is true, I assume that it will be reported by a more reputable source elsewhere.

Here is the brief text of the article:

"(Newser) – One way to lose your aerospace job: Slap a baby on a plane. That's what 60-year-old Joe Rickey Hundley allegedly did on a Feb. 8 flight to Atlanta, and last night AGC Aerospace and Defense, Composites Group, confirmed Hundley is no longer employed there, the AP reports. The little boy's mother, Jessica Bennett, says Hundley got upset when her son, Jonah, started crying on descent due to the altitude change and 'told her to shut that [n-word] baby up,' according to an FBI statement. Bennett says Hundley then slapped Jonah's face, scratching him below his right eye.

Hundley 'reeked of alcohol,' Bennett told KARE-11. 'He was belligerent, and I was uncomfortable.' She says he also repeated the racial slur to her, and got in 'my face, so I pushed him away.' Hundley, who had been president of AGC's Unitech Composites and Structures unit, was charged with simple assault in federal court last week and faces up to a year in jail. His lawyer says he plans to plead not guilty. Bennett says Jonah has become 'apprehensive to strangers' since the incident, the AP adds."

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1361208203|3383148 said:
I just saw this article under the title "Guy Slaps Baby On Plane, Loses Job". The site it was on was newser.com, and I don't know how reliable a source of news that is, so I am not vouching for the veracity of this story. It may or may not be true.

It's true. It's been reported everywhere. When i say, "It's true", I mean it's true that a man from Idaho allegedly slapped a baby and allegedly used a racial slur. I didn't mean to convict him here on Pricescope, just to verify that there was an incident and an arrest of someone (a Mr. Hundley) who had a prior conviction for assault.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/travel/crying-boy-assault

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a jerk.
He's gonna do time.
Slapping a baby! :angryfire:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Yes.
Child free zones.
Everywhere.
Everyday.
For the rest of my life.

I would be so very grateful.
Thank you.

I like kids. But let's be realistic. At some point, even the most adorable child on the planet will have The Big Meltdown. Since he/she is not my kid, I don't want to deal with it. If I have to be within the same zip code, I'd like to be as far away as possible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results