shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you support child-free zones on commercial airlines?

Do you support child-free zones on commercial airlines?

• Yes

Votes: 49 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 22.2%

• Total voters

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I support Child-Free Zones in Commercial Airlines: The cockpit needs to be child free.

Otherwise, No. If someone is willing to pay business or first class fares for their children - Its OK with me that they sit in those areas.

Perry

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would only think it's a decent idea on an international flight with a completely separate area (i.e., upper deck of a plane.) It doesn't make much sense to me otherwise. So what if you pay for that section and get the last row...and there's a kid right behind you?

Concept and logistics are two different things.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I am not opposed to the idea, but the concept of seven rows that is banned for kids under 12 in the economy seating area is just funny. My then 2 years old was screaming his head off in the row right behind first class. The curtain didn't helped. The invisible barrier, for sure, will not block off sounds. And from what I can understand, if there is no ban of kids under 12 in first class or business class, so kids can still be there.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. As a mother of two myself, I support the idea that those who feel the need to make an effort to sit away from children who may be disruptive are able to maintain a distance. Hopefully it would alleviate some of the grumbling, sighs, looks and rude comments that often come from crotchety former children who have forgotten the joy, curiosity, fidgety-ness and sometimes fussiness that comes with childhood.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear earplugs from the moment I get out of the car to enter the airport till the minute I enter the car at my destination.
This greatly reduces travel stress for me, and screaming kids is just one of the many audible stressors of flying.

Sure if I'm in the last aisle of the Quite Zone a baby may be screaming right behind me, but there will not be one next to or in front of me.
That means baby-screaming odds are cut by 50%.
That's something I'd gladly pay another, maybe, $50 for especially on a long flight.
Perhaps the fee is highest at the front and lowest at the rear of the Quiet Zone, rather it should be.

Some of those tiny babies have the lungs of an Olympic swimmer so even in the front row you'll still hear some of it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't get it. You could be in the back of the quiet zone and a child near you might be in the front of the other section, so that could backfire. I think flying is just one of those things where patience and understanding can go a long way.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Eh. I am very tolerant of children when I fly. Yes, it is annoying sometimes but flying is a PITA for everyone, including small kids. So they make a fuss sometimes, big deal. Just FYI, I don't even have kids. If they want to do child-free zones, or even special flights that are child-free, ok. If they don't want to, again, ok.

What else will they try to control? Adults who fart while they sleep? Special zone for them? Would be nice if that could happen. I once traveled Chicago to Honolulu and the man next to me slept the entire time BUT also farted constantly in his sleep. I wanted to throw up. :knockout: No kid on any flight has been as terrible a co-passenger as that guy. Special zone for passengers who constantly talk to you when you just want to read your kindle? Special zone for adults who take over too much of the armrest? Or the ones who are rude to the flight attendants? Or the ones who get sloshed on free drinks? Flying will never be a joy, so we might as well just cross our fingers and hope for the best and also not sweat the small stuff. Kids are the least of my worries when I travel. It's the adults who make me mad.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
rubyshoes|1360626551|3377897 said:
Eh. I am very tolerant of children when I fly. Yes, it is annoying sometimes but flying is a PITA for everyone, including small kids. So they make a fuss sometimes, big deal. Just FYI, I don't even have kids. If they want to do child-free zones, or even special flights that are child-free, ok. If they don't want to, again, ok.

What else will they try to control? Adults who fart while they sleep? Special zone for them? Would be nice if that could happen. I once traveled Chicago to Honolulu and the man next to me slept the entire time BUT also farted constantly in his sleep. I wanted to throw up. :knockout: No kid on any flight has been as terrible a co-passenger as that guy. Special zone for passengers who constantly talk to you when you just want to read your kindle? Special zone for adults who take over too much of the armrest? Or the ones who are rude to the flight attendants? Or the ones who get sloshed on free drinks? Flying will never be a joy, so we might as well just cross our fingers and hope for the best and also not sweat the small stuff. Kids are the least of my worries when I travel. It's the adults who make me mad.

:appl: :appl: rubyshoes!! You go girl!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

yup; I had someone on the flight home from hawaii put their feet out (stinky) I finally had to tell the flight attendants. There was another thread like this (about kids on planes) this was years before I had them and I said they don't bother me; they still don't bother me so if people want then, then sure!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I flew nonstop from London to L.A. once, and this 2-3 yr old cried through 90% of the flight. I didn't blame him, though, I wanted to punch both his parents who had their noise-cancellation headphones on and were watching movies the entire flight. The only time he wasn't crying was when one of them was either carrying him or talking to him. (They did that for maybe 45 tops) Other than that, they didn't do ANYTHING. At one point the flight attendant started talking to him and he stopped crying, but as soon as she left he started wailing again. His parents didn't even LOOK at him, nor did they look up when the flight attendant was talking over them. Everyone was pissed. Kids cry, I get it, but his parents were beyond ridiculous.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think you would only support this if you don't have kids. Otherwise most people dont' care. You tend to tune things out after awhile.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I support it but I think child-free flights would be more successful than zones.
Seriously, though, I've found adults to be more irritating on flights than children.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Well smack my momma!!!!! ;-) You rock rubyshoes!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Sure, I'll support it. As long as everyone in the zone has to wear a t-shirt that says "it's all about me" ;-)

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I support this. Although if implemented as described in the article, I'm not sure how 'quiet' the zone will really be.

I have kids, and while they are generally quite well behaved during travel, I *do* some times travel alone and can definitely get annoyed by loud kid noises! lol

As long as there are seating options for families, if some people want to pay extra to avoid them, fine by me.

Meanwhile, I agree with what some others have said relating to there being no way to eliminate all the stresses of flying. I have had my fair share of adult-related annoyances on flights. My biggest current beef is sitting next to someone who encroaches on my seat. Hate that!!

Anne

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's another silly way for airlines to make money off of people who would like to maintain the illusion of control.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I would support it. However, it would be nice if they could actually put wall dividers and not just curtains so noise was actually blocked. I've had a few flights where a kid was sitting behind me and my seat was kicked way too many times. Of course sitting in the last row of a child free zone wouldn't help that problem, that's why they need a wall. I'd pay more for that on long flights for sure. I don't think it's necessary on short flights though.

Maybe I should add that I'm child free as well and have less tolerance ;))

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
In theory, absolutely 100% support it. In practice, like the others, I just don't see how this would work (until someone invents the personal bubble - that I would gladly pay for). Honestly, it seems like a better idea to provide noise-canceling headphones to passengers than designate areas of the plane to be noise-free.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I don't mind crying, babies and small kids can't help it. What I do mind is sitting in front of a kid who insists on kicking the seat the entire time, or pounding on the tray...while the parent does nothing.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand why some might support this, and in an ideal world those who do not want to be *bothered* or further stressed while traveling via airplane would have an option to travel "child-free." However, if we're thinking in terms of tolerance, doesn't it make sense to compromise a little, and perhaps while traveling, have a little patience/understanding for our fellow travelers who (trust me) are just as stressed out with little kids in tow?

I like someone's idea above of child-free flights. Could be a great business/niche, kind of like Hooters airline, catering to one specific client. Or, another option for those who would be more comfortable flying without children might be to either create your own airline or cultivate friendships with those who own private jets. :naughty:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I applaud those parents who have brought ziplock bags with ear plugs and candy for ALL the rest of the passengers.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I want a fart/BO/cologne free zone. That is all. :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1360654117|3378151 said:
I want a fart/BO/cologne free zone. That is all. :D

Here ya go, Jane.

OR

ga.jpg

ag.jpg

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
There's something on the wing! :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1360647932|3378117 said:
I can understand why some might support this, and in an ideal world those who do not want to be *bothered* or further stressed while traveling via airplane would have an option to travel "child-free." However, if we're thinking in terms of tolerance, doesn't it make sense to compromise a little, and perhaps while traveling, have a little patience/understanding for our fellow travelers who (trust me) are just as stressed out with little kids in tow?

I like someone's idea above of child-free flights. Could be a great business/niche, kind of like Hooters airline, catering to one specific client. Or, another option for those who would be more comfortable flying without children might be to either create your own airline or cultivate friendships with those who own private jets. :naughty:

Works well! No farts. No BO. No tray-kicking kids. No chatters.
Oh -- and no TSA!

Doesn't even have to be a jet if you stick to travel on the same continent.

Malbec54

Shiny_Rock
Haven|1360631169|3377938 said:
I support it but I think child-free flights would be more successful than zones.
Seriously, though, I've found adults to be more irritating on flights than children.

Well-said Haven.

I don't know how successful a zone would be. I travel every two to three months, and when a child cries it can typically be heard throughout most of the plane.
I think a more viable solution would be to offer "business flights" during certain times of the day for adults only, OR offer noise-canceling headphones (that actually work) for an extra charge.
I feel for those little tykes who know no other way to express their displeasure of flying, except to cry...however the parents who do nothing to soothe, or the ones who ignore bad behavior is more disturbing to me.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While I do try to tolerate fussy/crying/screaming of babies and toddlers, this is a very difficult task especially for red eye flights and international flights. I fly international (approximately 20 hours, a layover and then another leg) often enough and it is extremely painful to be stuck on a long flight with a crying/screaming child. The worst thing is when the parents do nothing about it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never had a baby or babysat (babysitter?) one, hence my question...

Aren't there times that a just-fed, just-changed baby is simply unconsolable even when given affection and kisses and all you can do is let it cry?
And wouldn't a parent know their baby best?
IOW, it may look like the parent doesn't care but maybe they just know that this is one of the times that trying to quiet the baby is futile.
I'd think the noise of jet engines would be very upsetting to a baby.

Again, I never travel without earplugs, and if they don't then IMHO airlines should pass them out to passengers who want them.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I don't have kids but my siblings are significantly younger and I remember flying with them when they were infants. Luckily they didn't cry except during take-off and landing when the pressure hurt. :(

The example I mentioned involved a toddler and he clearly wanted his parent's attention, they told him to sit down and just ignored him! I was waiting for the bathroom and standing by them when the flight attendant asked if there was anything she could do to help, and they said, "he just wants to be picked up, and we're not going to because he's spoiled. Just let him cry, he'll stop eventually" --- and he continued to cry for hours while his parents watched movies. WTF?!??? :angryfire: I normally feel bad for parents with crying babies because there's not much they can do. These parents, however... you bet I judged!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results