shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you still wear perfume in public? Maybe you should stop

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/29/2009 3:22:31 PM
Author: steph72276
Seriously people, spray and walk into it
2.gif
Yes! One little spray into the air then step into it before dressing.
Ticks all the boxes for minimal application imo
- small amount on body
- on skin not clothing
- covered by clothing so smell is muffled unless the person is very close

It is a terrible thing to admit but I am aware of my BO in summer. I wear a low scent deodorant but sometimes I don''t have a lot of opportunities to reapply during the day so having a little perfume on helps put my mind at ease.

My mum has recently started to drown herself in perfume. I''m not sure how to bring it up without insulting her
7.gif

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I hate strong perfume! And I teach in a middle school, where a lot of kids are worried about having BO after gym, so they slather themselves in cheap perfume or worse...AXE. I think there is a place in hell for the people who make that crap. Last week, a few former students "visited" my classroom after school. I was down the hall making copies, and they apparently thought it would be funny to spray AXE all over the room and around my desk in particular. I had meant to stay late and grade papers, but the scent gave me an awful headache and I had to get out of there. Ugh.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 5:51:17 PM
Author: Haven
I have an extremely sensitive nose, but I love perfumes.

I pump two sprays in front of me, wait a beat, and walk into it. I never spray directly onto my skin, nor do I wear it on my clothes. That''s too much, IMO.

An old friend of mine wore so much cologne it was really difficult to be in a small space with him. We were on the same martial arts team, so we often grappled and I would smell like his cologne for days after grappling with him, even after multiple showers. I once left a pair of sunglasses in his car and by the time he returned them to me they reeked of his cologne, so I had to recycle them! When I met his father, though, his habit made sense: Dad wore just as much cologne as his son. Their house was really noxious.

I do the same, except with only one pump. I hate being overly scented, and I also hate when I walk past someone and get assaulted by scent.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
A heavily perfumed woman walked past me in a store today and I coughed for five minutes. Anything perfumed gives me an instant headache.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 4:45:22 PM
Author: Elmorton
I'd much rather be smelling perfume than BO or bad breath - so I'm kindof a fan of fragrance.
Agreed. I wish more stinky people WOULD wear perfume/cologne. If a room smells bad, I've been known to pull out a mini bottle of fresh, neutral scented perfume from my purse and spritz a little in the air to mask the bad odor.

That said, I HATE patchouli and find that the worst smelling perfumes usually have it as one of the notes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
some of them perfume smells like pesticide.
faintthud.gif
14.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
This is another reason that I know I am a true PS''er. Tonight at the football game I was in the Ladies Room and washed my hands. As I was drying them, a girl next to me had out her perfume bottle and was spritzing herself. It smelled so good I asked her if I could have a little.

I thought she would give me the bottle so I could spray in the air and walk under the mist as I usually do...but NOOOOOOOO, she sprayed me right.on.my. chest. and. onto. my. diamond. pendant.
8.gif
23.gif
8.gif
23.gif
8.gif

I didn''t want to offend, but I am sure she couldn''t help watching me take the paper towel in my hands and start rubbing the stuff off my chest and my diamond.
17.gif

I can still smell it on me....

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2009 10:12:00 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
some of them perfume smells like pesticide.
faintthud.gif
14.gif
Yeah...well...in fairness to the perfume lovers here, I have to say that I don't always trust the sniffers of the nay-sayers to be so good. Ages ago, in another life where I was married to the wrong man, he used to complain that perfume smelled like bugspray. One might infer from that comment that perfume = BAD/SMELLY to him, yes? Yet one evening, we were out taking a walk around our neighborhood, and got a whiff of something. He was like a hound on point, "OMG! What IS that smell?? Ohhh...it smells SO glorious! etc, etc." He was clearly NOT kidding. I looked at him like he had lobsters crawling out of his ears, because what he was smelling WAS pesticide. Someone had very clearly Ortho'd the living crap out of their house with what smelled to be about 15 bug bombs, and had every window and door open airing it out.
20.gif

Bottom line, as a perfume wearer, I try to be sensitive to the noses of those around me, and not wear too much or too heavy a scent. I have even polled friends to make sure I'm not gagging them out. But I'm NOT going to quit wearing it just because someone somewhere someday may be allergic. If someone I worked with informed me they were allergic I would quit wearing it, but it's foolish to expect everyone to not ever wear perfumes just in case. Perfumes are in virtually every product we use in our clean-obsessed smell-phobic culture. Actual "perfume" is but one of many places it may come from. Perfume has been around for probably the majority of the time we've been walking upright. Don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

If anyone is interested, there is a great book out there on the history of scent, entitled "Aroma". It's a great read, with some surprising revelations about what have been considered "attractive" scents in other cultures. Onions dabbed behind the ears anyone? (No, I'm not kidding).

And just to hammer home the fact that scents are so completely subjective, I personally slip a cog around roasting peanuts. I almost gag. Right up there with rotting eggs in its ability to gross me out.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
ksinger....that story is hysterical. The pesticide part.

One of my favorite twisted movies is "Perfume"
31.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 8:00:40 PM
Author: Laila619

I''d much rather be smelling perfume than BO or bad breath - so I''m kindof a fan of fragrance.
Agreed. I wish more stinky people WOULD wear perfume/cologne. If a room smells bad, I''ve been known to pull out a mini bottle of fresh, neutral scented perfume from my purse and spritz a little in the air to mask the bad odor.

That said, I HATE patchouli and find that the worst smelling perfumes usually have it as one of the notes.
Oh gawd, me too! It smells worse than wet damp dirt...which is what it reminds me of when I smell it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually love Axe. My FI carried the little travel packs to use when he visited me during our 2 years of long distance, and I associate the smell with him coming back to me
1.gif

I do use perfume, but will ask friends/FI to sniff test before going out in public.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Slightly off topic, but... the thing that horrifies me regularly selling antiques is the HUGE number of people that buy an ancient bottle of perfume (like 50 years old!) thinking they can *wear* the stuff! I sold some c.1940s scented talc (and it looked every year of it's age- crusty and clumpy and icky) to some woman who was planning to use it a few days ago, and nearly gagged. I actually think rancid perfume is perhaps the worst scent ever- a lot of people don't seem to realize that perfume, especially improperly stored, does turn and it's not a good smell. (I adore her, but my mom is a huge offender with this, and I thank god she rarely wears her perfume- but she's got this bottle of 20 year old Opium she keeps on her bathroom counter in a clear bottle, and it's soooooooooo gone off. I gave her a new bottle last Xmas hoping she'd chuck it!)

I am a perfume lover and I'd hate to have to stop wearing it! I do think people often over-use perfume, especially as they get used to the scent and stop noticing it themselves. I don't see how anyone could spray Angel all over themselves and not notice how potent it is- Angel is incredibly powerful smelling, and though I wear it occasionally, I never spray it directly on me- spray in the air and then after a second, walk through what's left of the mist. That's *plenty*. For most real alcohol based perfumes that's how I apply it, and I know it's just about right- people who are really close to me (like arms-length) can smell it slightly but it shouldn't knock out someone across the room.

I accidentally spilled a *lot* of Flowerbomb in my pocket at work the other day and felt like I was killing everyone with it all day
7.gif
- that was clever!

I think my most horrifying perfume experience was one day when I was wearing Bulgari Omnia (a huge favorite of mine) and this skeezy guy I was ringing up at work told me that I "smelled so good he was going to have to climb over the counter and grab me." Um. Ew god no?
6.gif
I actually stopped wearing it for a while because I kept thinking about that when I smelled it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2009 12:46:54 AM
Author: miraclesrule
ksinger....that story is hysterical. The pesticide part.

One of my favorite twisted movies is ''Perfume''
31.gif
Oh YEAH! I read the book ages ago, and was pleased to see that the movie followed it almost to the letter. The only gripe is that Grenouille is a bit too good-looking, but hey, it''s a movie. I wonder why it didn''t get more exposure, that movie. Delicious story, fabulous actors - Hoffman and Rickman - how can you go wrong?

Needless to say, I have my very own copy.
3.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I don''t wear it to work because I deal with a lot of people who have allergies/asthma.

I know most hospitals I have worked in had a "no perfume" policy, although I know of a couple people who admit to breaking it.

There was one guy I worked with who was kind of known as the "rule breaker." He wore heavy cologne that you could smell from across the room. One day it stopped, I think someone with authority had a chat with him.

When I do wear it (less than 1x month), I wear a little bit, one dab on each side of the neck, and only wear it when going out.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2009 12:48:32 AM
Author: miraclesrule

Date: 11/29/2009 8:00:40 PM
Author: Laila619

I''d much rather be smelling perfume than BO or bad breath - so I''m kindof a fan of fragrance.
Agreed. I wish more stinky people WOULD wear perfume/cologne. If a room smells bad, I''ve been known to pull out a mini bottle of fresh, neutral scented perfume from my purse and spritz a little in the air to mask the bad odor.

Oh gawd, me too! It smells worse than wet damp dirt...which is what it reminds me of when I smell it.
Thritto. At a former place of employment, the mailman wore patchouli and good god does that scent linger. At my current place of employment, the guy who does my employers'' gardening/handywork wears it and stops in the office to get paid or ask questions from time to time. I''ll just say this: spraying Lysol or air freshener does not do any good, in fact it makes it even worse. Sweet Pea air freshener+ patchouli = GROSS.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I wear perfume in public (where else would I wear it? lol), and I don't see a problem with it. But, I know I am not an over-applier, nor do I wear heavy scents.

I work in a small law firm, where one of the attorney's has serious reactions to perfumes (this includes perfumed hand lotions, etc). I don't set anything off with him, so I think I'm safe
2.gif
However, we have had clients in the office that you can smell them on the elevator 10 minutes after they got off of it, or smell them all the way down the hallways, etc. It's usually some cheap cologne that practically smells like straight alcohol, or a super-flowery perfume
14.gif
These clients give the poor attorney a migraine (and gross the rest of us out).

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the "I like a nice light fragrance" camp. Usually I''m either one spray on the wrists, or one in the air above my head that floats down into my hair kind of girl. The hair trick is fun because when you toss it around or run your fingers through it, it releases some of the scent, so it sticks with me all day. But just one spray!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I wear a perfume sometimes, but not much and not often. I love the way my mom wears it, actually--you can''t smell it when she walks by, but when you hug her you can. I used to love borrowing sweaters/jackets/scarves/etc. from her because they always smelled like her perfume.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love perfume.

I never thought about others being allergic to it, but I''m kind of with ksinger on that one...I wouldn''t stop wearing it just because somebody some day might be allergic to it. That said, this thread makes me realize it makes sense to not wear perfume on airplanes, or anywhere where someone couldn''t get away from the scent - so I learned something.

I usually spray once on each wrist, inside my elbows, and behind each ear - that sounds like a lot now that I think about it...although nobody has ever told me I''m wearing too much...
40.gif

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love light perfumes, bath lotions, hand lotions, etc.
They smell so nice and the lotions leave my skin feeling so nice.

The problem?
They make me sneeze.

Shampoos, conditioner, hand soap, bath soap, laundry detergent, dish soap, hairspray, deodorant, etc.........

I don''t mean I sneeze a little. I mean I REALLY sneeze. Bright red nose. Watery eyes. Sometimes for hours after being exposed to whatever.

Since the scents that bug me are so random, I can''t very well ask everyone I may someday possibly walk by to quit wearing everything scented.

Just be aware. Even in some very "open" locations the smell can be a problem.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I mostly use unscented moisturiser/deo etc, but I love a light perfume. I put it on after showering, before dressing. I spray a mist into the air and walk through it. Keeps it nice and light!

Good point not to wear it on airplanes or similar situations though! I''ll remember that.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Of course there are individuals who believe that half a bottle a day is not nearly enough (men included), and there are many who choose obnoxious aromas that won''t smell any better by going easy on the application, but I don''t intend to be scentless myself.

Perfume IS too strong, and most everyone can wear cologne instead. And it can be applied discreetly and with subtlety. It can be applied so that only you and someone who gets really close will smell it. Nobody has to leave a wave of stink in their wake.

As for the 2% of the population who are allergic, I''m sorry they have that problem. I suppose that will limit their activities outside of the environments they can control, just like everyone else who suffers from an allergy, skin condition, headache, whatever, made worse by certain activities and locations. We all learn to live with our limitations. I once had an Avon lady who had rather severe reactions with this exact allergy to perfumes, colognes, and makeup. Wonder how she managed to do that job . . . ? She learned how to control her reactions with proper medications, didn''t open the bottles and sample the merchandise, etc. She learned to live with it.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 10:48:05 AM
Author: lilyfoot
I wear perfume in public (where else would I wear it? lol), and I don''t see a problem with it. But, I know I am not an over-applier, nor do I wear heavy scents.

I work in a small law firm, where one of the attorney''s has serious reactions to perfumes (this includes perfumed hand lotions, etc). I don''t set anything off with him, so I think I''m safe
2.gif
However, we have had clients in the office that you can smell them on the elevator 10 minutes after they got off of it, or smell them all the way down the hallways, etc. It''s usually some cheap cologne that practically smells like straight alcohol, or a super-flowery perfume
14.gif
These clients give the poor attorney a migraine (and gross the rest of us out).
This is SUCH a pet peeve of mine! I hate that! Argh!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Gotta say I''m a huge fan of fragrances! I''d much rather smell perfume than body odor too. Yuck. But I mean BAD body odor, not someone who took a shower that morning and has sweat a little. No big deal there, but the people that spray on disgusting smells INSTEAD of bathing reeeeeaaaaallllllllyyy gross me out. Double yuck!

The vast majority of my fragrances though are lotions and body mists from Bath and Body Works or Victoria''s Secret. Most of them aren''t super strong anyway. There are however, the few scents that seem to be especially potent on me, so I avoid wearing them unless I''m going out on my own and won''t be in closed spaces. I teach in a dance studio and most of the girls are constantly spraying things. To be quite honest, smelling their body sprays is MUCH more pleasant than their stinky feet, or the smell of sweaty kids whose parents don''t think they are old enough to wear deodorant yet.
14.gif
I''ll deal with perfume, even if it makes me sneeze, to cover up that smell!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2009 2:09:55 PM
Author: HollyS
Of course there are individuals who believe that half a bottle a day is not nearly enough (men included), and there are many who choose obnoxious aromas that won''t smell any better by going easy on the application, but I don''t intend to be scentless myself.

Perfume IS too strong, and most everyone can wear cologne instead. And it can be applied discreetly and with subtlety. It can be applied so that only you and someone who gets really close will smell it. Nobody has to leave a wave of stink in their wake.

As for the 2% of the population who are allergic, I''m sorry they have that problem. I suppose that will limit their activities outside of the environments they can control, just like everyone else who suffers from an allergy, skin condition, headache, whatever, made worse by certain activities and locations. We all learn to live with our limitations. I once had an Avon lady who had rather severe reactions with this exact allergy to perfumes, colognes, and makeup. Wonder how she managed to do that job . . . ? She learned how to control her reactions with proper medications, didn''t open the bottles and sample the merchandise, etc. She learned to live with it.
For the most part, I totally agree with you. I may have allergies but I don''t think everyone else in the world should have to wear only stuff that doesn''t make me sneeze. Same thing with peanuts or whatever else some people have problems with. I am careful to avoid peanuts & walnuts when I am cooking for other people. Beyond that, I will cook and eat what I want.

The only exception is in a public setting where a person with allergies may be forced to sit near a scent that makes them ill or skip the event entirely.

Religious services (especially the crowded holiday services) are a great example. They are often crowded enough that you can''t just move.
Am I supposed to skip Yom Kippur services just so someone else can wear perfume?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
how is it that I haven''t seen Lorelei in here yet
11.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 3:02:58 PM
Author: TooPatient

Am I supposed to skip Yom Kippur services just so someone else can wear perfume?
I was always taught that you''re not supposed to wear perfume or lotion on Yom Kippur!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear perfume when I think to (ie. not very often, maybe once per week tops).

It's very easy to avoid over-application. Spray it in front of you, and walk through it. ONCE. Light scent accomplished. Unless someone's deathly allergic (possible) or finds a note in my fragrance particularly repulsive (also possible), no one is likely to even notice it unless we're hugging. I get compliments almost every time I wear my perfume - but only after a hug, which leads me to the must-be-close-enough-to-hug conclusion.

Our neighbor (apt. building, shared open-air hallway) applies perfume SO heavily that I can smell it overpoweringly if I walk through the hall within a few minutes of her passing by. Sometimes I wonder if I've picked up her scent on my own body just by walking through the hall
7.gif
If she picks up our dog to say hello, he'll smell like her for at least 24 hours. THAT is over-application.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I actually wear eau de toillette... because it is lighter to begin with, and then only a spritz. I get migraines so I''m really sensitive to strong parfumes, but I love a light scent... and when done well is very pleasing on both men and women!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
we can''t control for all variables in life. you cannot know who is allergic to what and what smells bother sensitive people out in the world. I am super smell sensitive but I still like nice scents and well applied ones. No one wants to sit next to someone who doused themselves, but can you really live your life based on so many factors? I HATE Angel and it gives me a headache and I hope not to be trapped in a plane next to someone who bathed in it but this is a free country. I cannot legislate what personal grooming people do or do not do. I have been near people who sweat copiously and have terrible body odor and that is nasty too but again I cannot control for that type of thing. A perfume I love and think is nice someone else may hate or be allergic to. I never let people in stores spray stuff on me, I get migraines easily, and I hate those things in magazines with multiple perfume pages in them...Yankee Candle in the mall smells so overpowering to me I cannot walk in it...but I cannot control the world. At my son''s allergist''s they ask people not to wear perfume which I get, but what if your lotion smells? Or your laundry soap or dryer sheet is pungent? Or your shampoo/styler product etc is highly scented? Or what if you ate curry for lunch or garlic and are offending people with that? One spritz and walk thru it is the best but even so, if it is a perfume I dislike and I can still detect it because I have a very refined sense of smell, can I dictate what someone else does? No.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results