shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you still dream about a piece of jewelry you didn't get...

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I think about this Victorian ring EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. It was the one that got away. I'm always kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when I could have. Maybe I'll have David Klass make something similar for me someday!

1580607336789.png

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep. That lovely, thick, ornate, rich gold ring with gemstones. Why, why, why did I cheap out at the last minute?!!!!!

It did teach me a lesson about taking risks in jewelry which I applied recently. There was this beautiful 12-15 mm, colorful, almost blemish free Tahitian being sold as a no return item on Ebay. Seller did not advertise it as Tahitian and I only had the pics to go by. I wanted to snatch it up before anyone saw it. I made an offer which was expensive if the necklace was a piece of dirt, and a steal if it wasn't. Seller accepted and I lay awake at night wondering if I just threw out a hunk of money. But when it arrived it was the real deal.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was this gorgeous, and truly unique large aquamarine that was set east west in a diamond pave setting. The faceting looked somewhat like a scissor cut, but the exterior of the stone looked like someone twisted it. This cut was magical! My future hubby wanted to buy it for me, but we had just gotten engaged and I didn't want him to spend more money. I just assumed that we would be able to purchase it, or something similar "someday". Unfortunately, we have never seen anything remotely like it again. Even my husband (who is not a jewelry guy) brings it up occasionally. I really wish I had a pic to share, but there were no cell phones in 1986. Too bad I didn't carry around my Polaroid.:lol:

joelly

Ideal_Rock
There was this toi de moi ring from victor barbone jewelry. It’s called Marianne. I was saving for it when someone bought it. Not meant to be but I still dream of it. Nothing else comes close.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
38574580-FD15-4E26-9EC6-637A8E6EBDC5.jpeg

This stunning Art Deco ring. My favorite antiques dealer at Grays antique market got this ring in. Unfortunately I didn’t have enough time to do my due diligence. Before I had made up my mind, the vendor emailed me to say it was sold. The diamond was so crisp and white with a stunning culet, and that pop of green . . . .
1E051A4A-4041-4F2B-9C98-B1960826E26B.png

This french brooch is beyond amazing! Made about 100 years ago. All old cuts set in yellow gold covered in silver, and the feather articulates!!!! I was putting money aside to set my loose diamond, and could not afford both. Le sigh :cry:

tenshix

Rough_Rock

This stunning Art Deco ring. My favorite antiques dealer at Grays antique market got this ring in. Unfortunately I didn’t have enough time to do my due diligence. Before I had made up my mind, the vendor emailed me to say it was sold. The diamond was so crisp and white with a stunning culet, and that pop of green . . . .
1E051A4A-4041-4F2B-9C98-B1960826E26B.png

This french brooch is beyond amazing! Made about 100 years ago. All old cuts set in yellow gold covered in silver, and the feather articulates!!!! I was putting money aside to set my loose diamond, and could not afford both. Le sigh :cry:

Stunners!! That Art Deco emerald is so amazing too ugh. I hope they both went to wonderful loving homes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feel free to share here or start a thread. Another interesting topic. Though also potentially heartbreaking.

Better not then, as it has been kind of emotional lately, and it could open another flood gate!

DK :kiss:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It’s sooo beautiful. I’m not surprised you’re sad it’s one that got away. I agree with @Daisys and Diamonds - this thread is very sad, although in a positive spin the ones that get away leave funds for new possibilities yet to arrive. Or is that too much of a stretch?!

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
im hoping to one day track one down preloved somewhere - it was a ring that was often on promotion so im sure they sold hundreds over the years - and just hope i can find one in a bigger size to fit my fat fingers

There's hope! Check to see if any pawnshops in your area have an eBay storefront then save and stalk them periodically. I have an antique repro ring that got through an online pawnshop at a very nice discount. Dont let your dreams be dreams ;))

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I fell in love with a 1.36ct, VS1, I colour Old European Cut (actually transitional) from Jewels by Grace. I sent emails but she didn't get them (server issues apparently which I found out later). I was going to try again by phoning and then the diamond was gone. That diamond still haunts me. It has the facet pattern I was after and is the perfect size for me. I keep looking to see if it will pop up again but alas nothing.

I found another diamond with a similar facet pattern but the vendor wouldn't sell it to me. He said he would only sell it with another diamond as a matched pair even though there is nothing on his website stating this stipulation. That diamond is still listed on his site after almost 3 years. But in reality this would have been my second choice as my heart still pines for the 1.36ct diamond mentioned above.

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
Yes! A Ruby target ring on the preloved pages that I couldn't buy because I'm not located in the US. It was perfect, and an amazing price. I still think about it often!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Many moons ago when I was trolling ebay for old cuts for various projects and fantasies, I bought this OEC three stone. It was a bit of a frankenrin. The shank was victorian and yellow gold and engraved and set with what appeared to be an original pair of .70ct OMCs. A gorgeous pair. But the center basket had been cut out and replaced with a very modern head to hold a gorgeous, perfectly round 1.3ct OEC. It had amazing hand presence. But the imperfections in the setting, the mismatched cuts, and the really bold hand presence (I felt a little uncomfortable wearing it) meant I just couldn't loooove it. And shortly after I found it, I stumbled on my 1.89ct Early Ideal cut, and I couldn't afford to keep both, so off these diamonds went into the bling continuum...

Eight years later I finally got my dream three stone in engraved yellow gold. My ring's proportions are not quite the same, and while I like my smaller side stones and perfect setting and the amazing optics of my diamonds, I do still think about this "ring that got away".

33oec 013.JPG 33oec 018.JPG 009.JPG

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
i was in India about a year ago.. At the Khan Market in Delhi there is this store called Amethyst. They have a combo of traditional Indian and non traditional Indian jewelry.. there were these earrings.. little curved beans.. with polki diamonds encrusting them. with an 18k gold post. My heart pitter pattered. I left the store and came back... They were 500 USD and i just couldn't do it.... son entering college.. yada yada... The minute I was on the plane home I realized I made a mistake.
A colleague of mine is from India and knows the store and owners.. when she traveled back months later she went to try to get them for me but of course they were gone.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Tiffany's used to have a ruby heart shaped pendant, multiple rubies set in a kind of pave, domed style. It was way too expensive for me and I always thought I would get it when I was older & able to afford it, then they stopped making it! I see it on sale from time to time from different auction houses/resellers, but I don't know how to evaluate authenticity or the condition.

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
I still think about a ring that I couldn't have possibly purchased and in fact not sure I would have loved it more than Bubbalah. But still occasionally I do think about it. Swoonworthy indeed.

Here's a couple of photos. Swoon!

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 10.14.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 10.14.25 AM.png

That diamond. That setting. Just :love:

Oh I know that beast! That's one of Jogani's items, isn't it? *faints dead away*

ChickityChicken

Rough_Rock
At the time of purchasing my ring this was still on the Diamondsbylauren site. I had fawned over it and coveted it for over two years. Seriously! It is super small, for most people I am sure it's not much. But I LOVED everything about it! It was almost two hundred more than the max budget hubby set. Long story, but I felt guilty about spending so much ( for us) so picked a lower cost ring that I ended up returning, and felt stuck at the price of the purchase of the returned item. I love the ring I ended up
with, However, when I think of this one, my heart kinda clenches and I can't help but sigh.
r dbl.jpg

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Here is the one that got away for me.
The vendor offered to remake one for me. I created a separate thread to see if any psers has dealt with this vendor before (their name is Victor Barbone).

Here is the ring, her name is Marianne. Marianne.jpg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A4610D64-ECFA-4781-9F18-EC07B17AEE16.jpeg
I think it’s even still available..I’ve been drooling over it for a long time now...but I won’t get it...It’s torture actually...I chose my cluster ring over this because of the price difference. I LOVE my cluster ring..but I’m obsessed over this ring. It‘s too expensive and I can’t have everything I want. That’s what I tell myself...sigh..

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on a freeze but I’m desperately trying to talk my dad into getting this for my mom. Burmese and unheated ruby. China is all about red being lucky and she has a big birthday coming up...

FD9500E9-1930-4131-AE0A-5E865340076F.jpeg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RosieR I've been drooling over the same brooch! It was last spotted with a dealer in Australia, and she consigned it with Moda Operandi where I think it sold:

1580948073766.png

I was seriously tempted, but I couldn't justify the price when I saw what the dealer paid at auction.

The photos are all from different angles but I'm fairly certain it's the same brooch.
1580948115652.png

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m on a freeze but I’m desperately trying to talk my dad into getting this for my mom. Burmese and unheated ruby. China is all about red being lucky and she has a big birthday coming up...

FD9500E9-1930-4131-AE0A-5E865340076F.jpeg

Ugh I've seen this and have been talking myself out of buying it over and over and over and over.....;(

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@RosieR I've been drooling over the same brooch! It was last spotted with a dealer in Australia, and she consigned it with Moda Operandi where I think it sold:

1580948073766.png

I was seriously tempted, but I couldn't justify the price when I saw what the dealer paid at auction.

The photos are all from different angles but I'm fairly certain it's the same brooch.
1580948115652.png

Yes! It is the same broach!! The Australian dealer Tracey is really nice. Yes the there was a significant price hike going between dealers. If you saw how much she was selling on moda operandi you’d have choked:shock::-o:roll:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fell in love with a 1.36ct, VS1, I colour Old European Cut (actually transitional) from Jewels by Grace. I sent emails but she didn't get them (server issues apparently which I found out later). I was going to try again by phoning and then the diamond was gone. That diamond still haunts me. It has the facet pattern I was after and is the perfect size for me. I keep looking to see if it will pop up again but alas nothing.

I found another diamond with a similar facet pattern but the vendor wouldn't sell it to me. He said he would only sell it with another diamond as a matched pair even though there is nothing on his website stating this stipulation. That diamond is still listed on his site after almost 3 years. But in reality this would have been my second choice as my heart still pines for the 1.36ct diamond mentioned above.

@Poodles4me have you seen this one? https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-61ct-old-european-cut-diamond-gia-i-si1

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RosieR yeah, she's a total sweetheart. Sadly, my wallet can't support my habit!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
There"s been sooo many regrets, but the one I still wish I'd bought was this large rose de france in platinum with singlecut halo. Seller wanted $1500, which I felt was too much. Ended up spending way more on a lavender spinel and custom setting, with this ring in mind. I love my spinel, but I still have these photos in my phone. Lesson learned, if you REALLY love something, choke up the dough and buy it! 20200201_103731.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results