shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own a Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 8:49:02 PM
Author: deegee
Gypsy - I''m definitely reading much more now. It''s so convenient to get books! I can download one while I''m stuck in traffic on the way to work (while hubby is behind the wheel, cursing the bad drivers).

I downloaded a bunch of books the week after I got it, but now I''m trying to have a little restraint. My birthday was last week, and I told anyone who asked for gift ideas to get me an Amazon.com gift card. It''s awesome! You plug the number into your Amazon account, and you can have every book you buy taken from the balance of your gift card. From now on, that''s all I''m asking for when people want gift ideas. I search for free books in the Kindle store, and you can also go to the top selling Kindle list and some newer books are free there, too. That''s hit and miss though.

I''ve never had to contact customer service, but I''m glad to hear it''s great! I had no idea you could request a return for a lousy book. LGK - I''m glad to hear they replaced your broken one so quickly!!

BF''s parents got me an Amazon gift card for Christmas - best and most useful gift ever!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I have the original Kindle, so it''s definitely time for an upgrade, but I''m so torn. I don''t know if I want to get the DX, the iPad, or wait for HP to release their slate.

If Amazon releases a Kindle with color, I think I might be swayed.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I have to admit that I just broke down and got the Kindle 2. I''m amazed at how fast you can download books. I''ve found it comfortable to use and easy to read off of but I have one question I can''t seen to find the answer to.........when you are in the Kindle store is there a way to search for books by the auther and not the title? If there is I haven''t been able to figure out how to do that.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I''d been hemming and hawing on this for a few weeks; I wanted the best of both worlds. I wanted to be able to secure content from different places (which would lean toward a non-Kindle device), but I also wanted the ease of on-the-fly download (which leans toward Kindle).

In the end, I found (for me) a solution that blends both of the things I wanted. I downloaded the Kindle app for my iPhone.

I decided to try it, and went into it with a good bit of skepticism. I *reeeeeeeeeally* didn''t think I''d enjoy trying to read on such a small screen. I was wrong! It works very much the way I hear the kindle works....just tap the screen to advance. I read a paperback book in a few hours; then I tore through a 400-page book on the bestseller list in under a week.

It was a win for me on several fronts. Many of the other non-kindle book sites have content for the iphone, so I could still get that. But, I also get the best of the kindle in being able to download on the fly. For me, it was an even bigger score since I could keep it all in one device instead of having to cart around something else.

I know it''s not the right solution for all, but it certainly worked well for me.

Like TGal, this has allowed me to resume one of my long-lost loves (reading) because it''s handy and easy.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 8:54:19 AM
Author: Catmom
Okay, so I have to admit that I just broke down and got the Kindle 2. I''m amazed at how fast you can download books. I''ve found it comfortable to use and easy to read off of but I have one question I can''t seen to find the answer to.........when you are in the Kindle store is there a way to search for books by the auther and not the title? If there is I haven''t been able to figure out how to do that.
Catmom, do you mean Kindle store on the computer, or from the Kindle device?

Alj, interesting solution! I don''t have an iPhone, or else I may not have minded trying that. I think they are coming out with one for Blackberry, but I have a Bold and that screen would be half the size of an iPhone screen. The ePub thing hasn''t been an issue for me. I''m happy to browse the Kindle store and buy whatever is there. But I can see that it would be an issue for others, especially since most of the digital reader world is going that way. Kindle''s proprietary format is not an advantage for them. And we''ll also see how long these 9.99 new releases last.

Gypsy, if you''re not in a hurry, wait until the iPad ships. We should know more then. I''m sure the folks at Amazon are working their strategy. Also, if the next version of Kindle is set for sometime this year (which I have no idea if it is), it might make sense that they go through whatever inventory they have of v.2 at a lower cost. But who knows. If v.3 has too many bells and whistles (thereby lowering battery life), the value of v.2 to some of the hard core might actually be higher. I really do think that $199 price point will be a sweet spot for them. IMHO, the key will be the race for them to get more market share. Giving the Kindle away for a low price is to their advantage. More people buying ebooks from Amazon means more negotating power with the publishers, which means more books on Amazon, which means more Kindle sales. I think it would be arrogance at this point not to realize that.

Also in a couple of months, the nook might be a more worthy competitor. You have nothing to lose by waiting.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Catmom, I just checked, and you just type in whatever you are looking for in the search box. Can be author or title. You do this in the store on the computer or on the Kindle.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting the Kindle DX for my birthday tomorrow. Wooohooooo!

casondra16

Shiny_Rock
I got mine about 3 months ago, and I absolutely LOVE it! My older 2 kids are in elementary school and they love to read too! I like that I can have books for the entire family in one convenient place without lugging around 7-8 different books.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 4:39:16 AM
Author: pennquaker09
I have the original Kindle, so it''s definitely time for an upgrade, but I''m so torn. I don''t know if I want to get the DX, the iPad, or wait for HP to release their slate.

I know, huh- what''s up with the blah beige color?! I use those cute vinyl skins from decalgirl.com and they''re pretty good for covering the whole darn thing, but I''d rather have it black and not have to bother. The keys and the edges are still white under the skin, too.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 3:05:30 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten

Date: 1/28/2010 4:39:16 AM
Author: pennquaker09

I know, huh- what''s up with the blah beige color?! I use those cute vinyl skins from decalgirl.com and they''re pretty good for covering the whole darn thing, but I''d rather have it black and not have to bother. The keys and the edges are still white under the skin, too.
I''m pretty sure she was talking about a color SCREEN, not the color of the device itself
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

What TGal said. Also, if you''re already looking at a book by that author, you can click on his or her name at the top of the page (under the title of the book) on both Kindle and Amazon.com and it''ll take you to a listing of all books by that author
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 1:39:08 PM
Author: Matata
Getting the Kindle DX for my birthday tomorrow. Wooohooooo!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 12:16:59 PM
Author: Allison D.
I''d been hemming and hawing on this for a few weeks; I wanted the best of both worlds. I wanted to be able to secure content from different places (which would lean toward a non-Kindle device), but I also wanted the ease of on-the-fly download (which leans toward Kindle).

In the end, I found (for me) a solution that blends both of the things I wanted. I downloaded the Kindle app for my iPhone.

I decided to try it, and went into it with a good bit of skepticism. I *reeeeeeeeeally* didn''t think I''d enjoy trying to read on such a small screen. I was wrong! It works very much the way I hear the kindle works....just tap the screen to advance. I read a paperback book in a few hours; then I tore through a 400-page book on the bestseller list in under a week.

It was a win for me on several fronts. Many of the other non-kindle book sites have content for the iphone, so I could still get that. But, I also get the best of the kindle in being able to download on the fly. For me, it was an even bigger score since I could keep it all in one device instead of having to cart around something else.

I know it''s not the right solution for all, but it certainly worked well for me.

Like TGal, this has allowed me to resume one of my long-lost loves (reading) because it''s handy and easy.

Allison, I love the Kindle app! Sometimes I''m carrying too many things to get my Kindle out - love having the option of reading on my iPhone
1.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal and Brown.Eyed.Girl I tried that and it didn''t work. For example if I go to Shop in the Kindle store and then go to search and type in John Grisham or even just Grisham none of his books come up. Just one that has his name in the title. Does that mean then that Amazon doesn''t carry any of his books? That would be wierd. I''ll go try another author to see what happens.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I just tried with another author and yes it does work, lol. I guess I was just lucky to have my first search be the one where they don''t have any books.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
HEEHEE!!! More loyal followers, I love it!

Someone very helpfully mentioned that Amazon releases a couple of free books every month - how does one get in on that?

Oh, and I am loving that nearly all of the "classics" are free!!!!
36.gif
Since most of them are heavy, it''s a bonus that we get to tote them all in one slim notepad!!!! Sooooo awesome. Sigh. I love my Kindle!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 4:17:39 PM
TravelingGal and Brown.Eyed.Girl I tried that and it didn''t work. For example if I go to Shop in the Kindle store and then go to search and type in John Grisham or even just Grisham none of his books come up. Just one that has his name in the title. Does that mean then that Amazon doesn''t carry any of his books? That would be wierd. I''ll go try another author to see what happens.
catmom, John Grisham won''t do any of his books in Kindle Format and neither will JK Rowling.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 5:00:55 PM
Author: TravelingGal

catmom, John Grisham won''t do any of his books in Kindle Format and neither will JK Rowling.

This makes me sad
7.gif
I want my Harry Potter books with me on my Kindle if I ever live abroad! I''m hoping that when I do go abroad I can just take my Kindle and no other books with me

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2010 5:00:55 PM

Ah, that explains it. That''s really too bad.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI a good article comparing ipad to Kindle and the expectations of a Kindle price drop. They are saying the sweet spot for ereaders is $150.

I can''t imagine Amazon isn''t going to price cut soon, so if you haven''t bought one, as I said, wait! And if you did, you can debate on returning it under the 30 days window and see if you can pick one up later for a lower cost - if that matters to you.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/28/technology/ipad_kindle/index.htm?cnn=yes&hpt=Sbin

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Just as I have become so attached to reading on my Kindle I noticed yesterday that some of the books I want to read are no longer available on Kindle even though they were just a few days before. I did a little internet research and it looks like Amazon may have pulled books from MacMillian due to a pricing dispute. From what I understand Apple is allowing publishers to set their own prices on the new Ipad, but Amazon wants to keep new releases at $9.99. Some of the publishers are worried that this will hurt hardback book sales. Does anyone know anything about all this? I am kind of frustrated that I can no longer download some of the books that interest me.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
PSA about Amazon customer service

I''ve had my kindle for about a year and it''s been through a lot of abuse. Well yesterday, the screen stopped working. I was really upset because I use it every day. Well I called Amazon this morning and as of this afternoon my brand new replacement has already been shipped and I will receive it on Monday. I just could not be more pleased with how they''ve handled this.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I wish my Kindle2 was only $150. That is a sweet spot.

FWIW, I bought mine today from Amazon and it was $259

It gets here tomorrow....Love love love Amazon Prime baby! 1 day shipping, $3.99!!!

I am stoked.

Thanks Tgal for all your comprehensive and well researched info, it played a major (only) role in my decision making.

I then called DH and thanked him for his lovely gift. LOL He''s been at me to get one for over a year now. He sees them on planes all the time and thinks its right up my alley.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 10:40:00 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
PSA about Amazon customer service

I've had my kindle for about a year and it's been through a lot of abuse. Well yesterday, the screen stopped working. I was really upset because I use it every day. Well I called Amazon this morning and as of this afternoon my brand new replacement has already been shipped and I will receive it on Monday. I just could not be more pleased with how they've handled this.
Actually same exact thing happened to me. They got the replacement to me in 18 hours! The customer service reps were awesome too. Very easy to work with. And I totally admit I was hard as anything on it before it died. Near constant use for almost a year, and I did drop it a number of times.

One problem though. Replacement Kindle bricked in about a day. Screen died. When I'd opened it for the first time it rattled ominously, so I wasn't too surprised. So they very kindly shipped me Kindle Numero Quatro, and it's screen is still working, which is good. The battery, unfortunately, lasts only 12 hours, *on standby*- like it dies overnight. Sigh. I think the replacements are refurbished ones, like xbox 360 does. DH and I swapped, so I have the nearly-a-year-old one (we had two, then mine died), and he has the new one with the wimpy battery, since he uses it much less. I still use my Kindle constantly, but it did annoy me that the replacement Kindles are kind of sucky and somewhat reminiscent of our Xbox 360 experience, which would be... that we are on our 5th Xbox 360, with three of them warranty replacements. At least they're prompt with the replacing, but I feel vaguely stupid calling up yet again about the cruddy battery in the newest replacement.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
150 is much better. I was just going to place my order this weekend (I''ve been undecided between Nook and Kindle-- prefer the Kindle, but like the selection of Nook''s books better) and I think I''ll hold off. My laptop will suffice if it means saving that much money, frankly. Thank you T-gal.

Incidentally I just read few nice series you might like. They are all Urban Fantasy, surprisingly enough. Let me know.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I dont think the Kindle price is going down to $150 anytime soon. Its been a few weeks since iPad hit the scene and Kindle is at $259. I just ordered mine yesterday.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
OT--BEG what kind of cat is in your avatar? I saw the kitten pics on the main page and about died.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 10:49:40 AM
Author: divergrrl
I dont think the Kindle price is going down to $150 anytime soon. Its been a few weeks since iPad hit the scene and Kindle is at $259. I just ordered mine yesterday.
It might within a year, but I would be shocked if the Kindle 2 price did not go to $199 this summer unless they are in a situation where they don''t have to clear out a bunch of inventory for Kindle 3. When the iPad ships, they are going to have to do something. If the price doesn''t change when iPad ships, then maybe they will hold the price.

Gypsy, I''m interested, let me know ...you can bring up the other thread. I''ve been actually reading a lot of romance lately. Found authors I liked. I''m trying to find a more "meaty" book right now because I don''t think I can read anymore regency romance for awhile. I''m eagerly awaiting Sookie book #10 though!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 10:50:36 AM
OT--BEG what kind of cat is in your avatar? I saw the kitten pics on the main page and about died.

Aww thanks Divergrrl! I have tons more pics, from the time I got them until today, on this thread: Link

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 11:33:36 AM
Date: 2/18/2010 10:49:40 AM

It might within a year, but I would be shocked if the Kindle 2 price did not go to $199 this summer unless they are in a situation where they don''t have to clear out a bunch of inventory for Kindle 3. When the iPad ships, they are going to have to do something. If the price doesn''t change when iPad ships, then maybe they will hold the price.

Gypsy, I''m interested, let me know ...you can bring up the other thread. I''ve been actually reading a lot of romance lately. Found authors I liked. I''m trying to find a more ''meaty'' book right now because I don''t think I can read anymore regency romance for awhile. I''m eagerly awaiting Sookie book #10 though!

Me too!

I just whipped through all 5 Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. They''re for kids, I know, but I love Greek mythology
3.gif
What can I say, I''m a kid at heart...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results