shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own a Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesanyone know when the Kindle3 is coming out? Do you think it''s worth waiting for that?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 7:04:53 PM
Author: Catmom
Doesanyone know when the Kindle3 is coming out? Do you think it''s worth waiting for that?
My guess is sometime this year, although I haven''t read anything on it.

Yes, I think if you aren''t in a hurry, it might be worth it. Technology only gets better and cheaper, so you have nothing to lose by waiting. Either the Kindle 3 will be awesome, or you can choose to buy Kindle 2 and a lower cost (probably).

This isn''t always a definite...I''ve seen some DSLR go UP in price when the new technology comes out, because the newer versions are crap. But in the world of e-readers, there is so much more room for improvement. Personally, I think less is more, so I think I''ll be content with my Kindle 2 until it croaks. I don''t want color, touch screens, or complex web browsing, but that''s me.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think that Kindle 3 is technically the DX (though they didn't bill it as such) and the next iteration is going to be the bigger Kindle for students (with textbooks, etc.). BF was wondering the same and I advised him to go with the Kindle 2 since he doesn't want a larger one and I think that the next one will be the same (or similar size) as the DX.

ETA: Sorry, I meant to add that it might be awhile before we see an updated 6" Kindle 2 if the next one is going to be the bigger textbook/student version.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Kindle lovers--would you say you read more now that you have your Kindle? And if the answer is yes, why do you think that is?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Okay okay I surrender! I''ve been lurking on this thread trying to resist but I can''t fight it any longer. I just ordered the Kindle 2 for myself. I am an avid reader and I never thought I could give up the feel of a book in my hands, but you guys have made me see that the convenience is worth the adjustment. I tried out the Nook at Barnes and Noble, but they won''t have it in stock for another month so the Kindle it is!!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Sundial I think you made the right choice!
1.gif
Come back and tell us how you like it!

Haven, I was a pretty avid reader pre-Kindle (2-3 books a week usually) so I don''t think I read more. I definitely BUY more though because it''s so much easier
1.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/11/2010 8:05:42 PM
Author: Sundial
Okay okay I surrender! I''ve been lurking on this thread trying to resist but I can''t fight it any longer. I just ordered the Kindle 2 for myself. I am an avid reader and I never thought I could give up the feel of a book in my hands, but you guys have made me see that the convenience is worth the adjustment. I tried out the Nook at Barnes and Noble, but they won''t have it in stock for another month so the Kindle it is!!!
You are making a good choice!! I love my Kindle. It goes everywhere with me
2.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
A friend gave one to us for Christmas. I am not sure what model it is. I worship it like a God! I absolutely love it. We now have to buy another for DH.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Thanks G.J.
35.gif
i reallllllly want one...i have kindle-fever
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sundial, IMHO it''s no contest right now what the best e-reader is in terms of convenience, book selection and a solid product. B&N has more ebooks, but their nook is a mess right now so I wouldn''t even consider it until they have a few more software updates. I think it will be a worthy competitor, and there will be others as well, but if you love Amazon and how it all works, there is no better option. And I''m saying this as someone who has ties to Sony (I didn''t even consider their e-reader.)

Haven, I read PERIOD, now that I have one. I didn''t read for ages. I always loved reading, but I hate going to the library (because I''m piss poor at returning books, movies, whatever) and bookstores just overwhelm me because I don''t have the time anymore to really browse. So I didn''t want to buy more books because I want to keep my books and it just takes up room and my bookshelf was completely crammed.
I love having a virtual bookstore at my fingertips. I love reading the reviews of the books and testing out sample chapters in the privacy of my own home. It allows me to try different genres I wouldn''t normally, and if the book is good, I look for more books in that genre which keeps me reading.

I also take it more places to read. Easy to throw in my bag. Much easier to read on my elliptical machine because it''s flat and I can make the text bigger so I don''t get nauseous reading small fonts.

Then there''s the "no shame" factor that many have mentioned. I can read whatever I want (and some of it is garbage, I admit) because it''s so easy to get and not embarrassing. Yes, I didn''t embarrass easily before and bought what I wanted to read, but it''s just THAT much easier now, hehehe.

I don''t watch TV and I pretty much surf PS and the news when I''m on the net unless I''m researching something. So it''s great to have the instant gratification of downloading and reading when I''m bored. I haven''t let up reading since I got it and haven''t gone to bed before 1am (I think, with the exception of 2 nights where I couldn''t take it anymore). If I can get a book in my hands by 8pm, I''m done somewhere between 12-1am.

Seriously, I know it''s just to read books, but it''s the most fun device I''ve gotten in a long, long time.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
BEG I can''t wait to receive my new Kindle! Marian I am so glad to hear that you enjoy yours. And TGal I am pleased that you recommend the Kindle over the Nook as I was really torn.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 11:31:09 AM
BEG I can''t wait to receive my new Kindle! Marian I am so glad to hear that you enjoy yours. And TGal I am pleased that you recommend the Kindle over the Nook as I was really torn.
I may not recommend it 6 months from now, but definitely recommend it now. Plus I love Amazon and am very familiar with their interface, especially since I do business with them at a corporate level.

Let us know how you like it! I bought an m-edge cover for mine (they have several different styles) and just bought the medge e-illuminator booklight which I love as well.

I did discover a little glitch recently...if you leave wireless off for a long time, it will take the book you are reading and put the book at the END of your reading list (whereas under the "most recent first" category, your most recently book should obviously be at the top.) If you turn wireless back on, this issue goes away. Just a FYI for everyone!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal--Thank you for sharing your experience.

I''m still stuck on real books, myself, but I''ve been thinking about getting a kindle for my husband. He doesn''t read as much as he''d like to, and I think for reasons similar to yours, Gal. He doesn''t get to the library much, and he does not like carrying books around with him. (I, on the other hand, always have at least one book in my purse and several in each of our cars.)

He''s also a man and he loves gadgets, so I think that would be a big draw for him, too.

The thing I do like about the kindle is that you can have more books without accumulating more actual stuff. I don''t like to have a lot of things in our house, and I just sold seven boxes of books, so I definitely don''t want to stack more up in the house. I take most of my books out of the library, but DH likes to own his books.

I''ll let you know how it goes. He''s turning 40 in April, so maybe I''ll get it for him then.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 11:52:02 AM
Author: TravelingGal

I may not recommend it 6 months from now, but definitely recommend it now. Plus I love Amazon and am very familiar with their interface, especially since I do business with them at a corporate level.

Let us know how you like it! I bought an m-edge cover for mine (they have several different styles) and just bought the medge e-illuminator booklight which I love as well.

I did discover a little glitch recently...if you leave wireless off for a long time, it will take the book you are reading and put the book at the END of your reading list (whereas under the ''most recent first'' category, your most recently book should obviously be at the top.) If you turn wireless back on, this issue goes away. Just a FYI for everyone!

Hehe I can STILL recommend it after having had it for almost a year (got it in March 2009). And I keep my books listed alphabetically, so no glitch yet
1.gif

As for covers, if you like the feel of books, definitely get a sideways/horizontal opening cover (M-Edge, Amazon, Cole Haan, doesn''t matter) like a real book, rather than M-Edge''s vertical opening cover (that one is supposed to flip up and back so you can use it as a book stand but I found it didn''t work well - leather was too stiff - and it was awkward just holding it to read). Here''s the vertical cover.

This is the one I have (there''s an updated one out with a clip to hold the Kindle in place rather than the elastic tabs). Love my cover - except when the kittens decide to use it as a scratching post
29.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 12:06:14 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 1/12/2010 11:52:02 AM

I did discover a little glitch recently...if you leave wireless off for a long time, it will take the book you are reading and put the book at the END of your reading list (whereas under the ''most recent first'' category, your most recently book should obviously be at the top.) If you turn wireless back on, this issue goes away. Just a FYI for everyone!

Hehe I can STILL recommend it after having had it for almost a year (got it in March 2009). And I keep my books listed alphabetically, so no glitch yet
1.gif

As for covers, if you like the feel of books, definitely get a sideways/horizontal opening cover (M-Edge, Amazon, Cole Haan, doesn''t matter) like a real book, rather than M-Edge''s vertical opening cover (that one is supposed to flip up and back so you can use it as a book stand but I found it didn''t work well - leather was too stiff - and it was awkward just holding it to read). Here''s the vertical cover.

This is the one I have (there''s an updated one out with a clip to hold the Kindle in place rather than the elastic tabs). Love my cover - except when the kittens decide to use it as a scratching post
29.gif
Haha, BEG, I meant in 6 months the nook might be a worthy competitor and eclipse the Kindle. Trust me, I will still be able to recommend ereaders a year from now. It''s great!

I''m curious who bought the insurance for theirs?

I have the medge cover that you can zip all the way around. I wanted protection because I am always throwing things in my bag. It has the tabs instead of the clip hinge thingie...I hear the amazon cover can crack the kindle because of it?

Haven, it might be a nice fit for your DH. But my guess is you''re going to steal it, hahaha.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
must stay out of this thread.. I feel a "want" coming on......

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE my kindle... I''m a student and it''s so amazing to just throw it in my bookbag and be able to read while waiting for class, on the bus, etc. I still buy hardcopy books on occasion, whether it be a signed copy of a favorite or just because I love browsing the bargain bookstores. But you would definitely have to pry my kindle from my cold dead fingers I love it so much. And it has saved me SO MUCH money. I usually go to the four stars or higher and then sort by price, so the majority of my books have been under three dollars.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I remember bringing five to ten books on all of my trips because I never knew what I wanted to read until I sat down to read... and now I can have hundreds of books at my finger tips. And for all of those worried about the feel of it, I forget that i''m reading it, it really just disappears just like a normal book... and if you need the smell, just go into a library and read it like I do!
9.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My Kindle2 arrived yesterday and I downloaded my first book last night. I already love this thing! It is more comfortable to hold that I expected, I like that you can adjust the font size, it is just so convenient to push a button and have your book almost instantly, and it is going to be wonderful to not have all these paperbacks lying around. I also bought an envelope style sleeve to carry it in. I think my husband is a bit jealous. He is not a reader, but he loves techy devices and he is rather intrigued by the Kindle. Too bad though, it is all mine!!! Thanks because if it wasn''t for this thread I might not have ever taken the leap.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2010 10:14:55 AM
My Kindle2 arrived yesterday and I downloaded my first book last night. I already love this thing! It is more comfortable to hold that I expected, I like that you can adjust the font size, it is just so convenient to push a button and have your book almost instantly, and it is going to be wonderful to not have all these paperbacks lying around. I also bought an envelope style sleeve to carry it in. I think my husband is a bit jealous. He is not a reader, but he loves techy devices and he is rather intrigued by the Kindle. Too bad though, it is all mine!!! Thanks because if it wasn''t for this thread I might not have ever taken the leap.
Sundial, I missed this...are you still loving it?

I''m still addicted to mine. Much less time for Pricescope these days, which probably isn''t a bad thing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking about getting one. I blame T-gal.

I''m just worried about the expense. Not of the Kindle, but of the book addiction. The weather here has been icky and I haven''t had anything to read so I''ve been downloading books to my ereader on my laptop and it is so convenient... no run to the store... no book cluttering up life afterward. But it''s almost too convenient. I''m afraid of my book buying bill if I buy one.

And I am worried about re-reading. I''m a big re-reader now... because I figure if they are around they house they might as well be useful. Plus it saves a ton of money considering I average a paperback a night in reading. More on weekends.

Were any of you guys big readers before the Kindle... and are you still now?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I was a huge reader pre-Kindle (a book or two a week, possibly three depending on how fast a read the books were) and I''m still a big reader now (maybe more so). I do hear what you''re saying about the book bill - I spend a LOT on books, especially since it''s so convenient and easy. On the other hand, if you like any of the older books that are now in the public domain, they are free!
1.gif
I had to read No Name by Wilkie Collins for a seminar and I got it for free on my Kindle, which was nice. I spend a little more now on books than I did before I had the Kindle, but I spent so much on books anyway that it wasn''t a big change. The great thing is the Samples for Kindle books - I think you get like a chapter (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, depending on the book) to preview for free, no limit, and you can try it out before purchasing. That''s saved me a bit of money!

Oh and I''m a big re-reader too and I re-read a lot of my books on the Kindle as well. It''s really convenient because I don''t have to go hunt for it in my cluttered linen closet that serves as my bookshelf
3.gif
And I''m hoping to be abroad next year so it''ll be nice not worrying about which of my books to take with me. I can take them all!
1.gif

Sundial, hooray! So glad to hear you like it!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, the book cost is where I had to set some rules for myself. I mean, your credit card is tied in. You can buy books without really stopping to think about how much you''re spending! That being said, I LOVE that I can buy a book on the go with ZERO hassle. My "rule" is that when I''m not traveling and am reading at home, I read library books. I read Kindle books when I am traveling (which is about 75% of the time during the week). To be perfectly honest, I SUCK at returning library books. The last time I did, I had to pay $9 to get myself out of hock!!

The other thing I do is check weekly to see what''s new on the "free" download list. Some of it is real crapola, but everyone once in a while I hit the jackpot on a really great free one, so I keep looking. Plus, a ton of the classics are free and there are so many I haven''t read and some I''m dying to re-read. They''re on there for whenever I get around to them.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2010 1:35:47 AM

Date: 1/15/2010 10:14:55 AM
Sundial, I missed this...are you still loving it?

I''m still addicted to mine. Much less time for Pricescope these days, which probably isn''t a bad thing.
Oh yes the Kindle is my new best friend! I''m not missing real books at all. I have already convinced friends of mine to purchase one. I figure spending money on books is way cheaper than most of my other addictions (like jewelry).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Something that you may not know is that if you contact Amazon CS within 7 days of buying a book, you can request a return. I recently had to do this on a book which was just so bad, I could not read past chapter 4. I don''t know what possessed me to buy it in the first place.

Gypsy I think the lure in the Kindle is the wireless downloading, which yes, racks up a nice book bill. And as I mentioned before, I didn''t read much before, but now I am reading a book a night. If you figure 7 bucks a book, that''s about $35 a week (giving myself room to not read a couple of nights). $140 a month. To me, that''s nothing. We spend as much on a dinner out. And that''s for a month of entertainment? Sold. Plus I never splurge on myself. I don''t shop for clothes, shoes, bags, etc.

April, you should let us know if you find a gem on the free list! Do you just type in free kindle books in the amazon search engine, or is there a clear cut link to get there?

Sundial, I''m glad you like it! If I were to lose mine today, I''d go and buy another one immediately. Don''t think I can live without it anymore.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I just had to say- I broke my Kindle 2 finally, probably dropped it one two many times or something (um, I dropped it a *lot*) and the screen went funny, with these lines all across it. So when I called CS, expecting to pay to repair it or whatever, they just said I needed to mail in the busted one w/in 30 days, and they express mailed me a brand new one to arrive tomorrow! I couldn't believe it. The guy I talked to was really nice too. They even pay for the shipping to return the broken one and send you a prepaid UPS label via email. It was w/in the 1 yr warranty period. Seriously, best customer service ever.

Frankly with the super hard use I give the Kindle I was pretty much presuming I'd just have to get a new one. I carry it around like a freaking security blanket and use it for hours every day, and the fact that it lasted 11 months without damage was rather shocking. No scratches on the screen either despite the fact that I pocket it with my keys all the time. And like I said I have dropped that thing many times. The surprising thing isn't that it broke, but that it lasted 11 months of constant use!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy - I'm definitely reading much more now. It's so convenient to get books! I can download one while I'm stuck in traffic on the way to work (while hubby is behind the wheel, cursing the bad drivers).

I downloaded a bunch of books the week after I got it, but now I'm trying to have a little restraint. My birthday was last week, and I told anyone who asked for gift ideas to get me an Amazon.com gift card. It's awesome! You plug the number into your Amazon account, and you can have every book you buy taken from the balance of your gift card. From now on, that's all I'm asking for when people want gift ideas. I search for free books in the Kindle store, and you can also go to the top selling Kindle list and some newer books are free there, too. That's hit and miss though.

I've never had to contact customer service, but I'm glad to hear it's great! I had no idea you could request a return for a lousy book. LGK - I'm glad to hear they replaced your broken one so quickly!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
To anyone wanting to buy the Kindle...

At this point, I would say wait! Especially for the DX model if that is what you are looking at. With the iPad announcement today, I am almost positive that there will be a price drop when the iPad starts shipping in 60 days. I can see no way the DX will not drop in price. And I bet that Kindle 6" will go to $199 before the middle of the year.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 8:49:02 PM
Author: deegee
Gypsy - I''m definitely reading much more now. It''s so convenient to get books! I can download one while I''m stuck in traffic on the way to work (while hubby is behind the wheel, cursing the bad drivers).

I downloaded a bunch of books the week after I got it, but now I''m trying to have a little restraint. My birthday was last week, and I told anyone who asked for gift ideas to get me an Amazon.com gift card. It''s awesome! You plug the number into your Amazon account, and you can have every book you buy taken from the balance of your gift card. From now on, that''s all I''m asking for when people want gift ideas. I search for free books in the Kindle store, and you can also go to the top selling Kindle list and some newer books are free there, too. That''s hit and miss though.

I''ve never had to contact customer service, but I''m glad to hear it''s great! I had no idea you could request a return for a lousy book. LGK - I''m glad to hear they replaced your broken one so quickly!!
You can...just be careful that you don''t abuse it. I was reading the other night that Amazon has been known to close Amazon accounts for unreasonable amounts of returns. That''s bad, but what''s even worse is that with no Amazon account, your Kindle becomes an expensive brick!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I''m sold. Just let me know when I should buy and I''ll buy one. I can''t wait to get it. But I want a good deal too. So, T-gal mind pinging me when the time is right? I''m excited.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 12:41:19 AM
Date: 1/27/2010 8:49:02 PM

Author: deegee

Gypsy - I''m definitely reading much more now. It''s so convenient to get books! I can download one while I''m stuck in traffic on the way to work (while hubby is behind the wheel, cursing the bad drivers).

I downloaded a bunch of books the week after I got it, but now I''m trying to have a little restraint. My birthday was last week, and I told anyone who asked for gift ideas to get me an Amazon.com gift card. It''s awesome! You plug the number into your Amazon account, and you can have every book you buy taken from the balance of your gift card. From now on, that''s all I''m asking for when people want gift ideas. I search for free books in the Kindle store, and you can also go to the top selling Kindle list and some newer books are free there, too. That''s hit and miss though.

I''ve never had to contact customer service, but I''m glad to hear it''s great! I had no idea you could request a return for a lousy book. LGK - I''m glad to hear they replaced your broken one so quickly!!
You can...just be careful that you don''t abuse it. I was reading the other night that Amazon has been known to close Amazon accounts for unreasonable amounts of returns. That''s bad, but what''s even worse is that with no Amazon account, your Kindle becomes an expensive brick!!!

Ooh I didn''t know that! It makes sense though - remember the thread a month ago about people returning Christmas trees...AFTER Christmas? I guess this is as good a way as any about policing behavior like that.

Gypsy, yay, so glad you''re sold!

I''m wondering when Amazon may cut prices too. BF wants to get one, but he needs to get it before Spring Break in late March. Hopefully Amazon decides to cut prices soon (if they do at all, and they should!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results