shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own a Kindle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 4:38:44 PM
Author: Blackpaw
Can you buy them in Canada? do they work? i just searched amazon for it and only came up with accessories...im confused
7.gif

Blackpaw, I think you have to go to the US Amazon site, click on Kindle, and on the Kindle''s page, there should be a box right under the price saying "Live outside the U.S.?"

I just checked Canada and I believe it can be shipped there (and you can get books wirelessly)

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
thanks BEG
35.gif
im going to have a looky-loo now!

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/30/2009 12:26:13 PM
Author: TravelingGal
This thing is crack! Crackle! Ugh! I have had it for 18 days now and have read 14 books...the addiction is starting to get expensive! I don''t even read everynight...how could I have read 14 books already? And I just started the Stephanie Plum series (found the rec here on PS) and that''s a NINETEEN book series!
39.gif
Ooh enjoy the Stephanie Plum books. I read them all this summer. I just got a Kindle for Christmas and I love it! I''ve only read one book but so far, and I barely noticed it wasn''t a "real" book. Might I recommend the book "Tethered" by Amy MacKinnon? I just finished it tonight. Beautiful writing.
I really wanted the first book I read to be "The Time Traveler''s Wife" so I could rent the movie, but they don''t have it for Kindle. Argh! Anyway, I hope you like the Plum series!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link Tgal!

BF is considering getting an e-reader and he wasn't sure which. I don't think any of the new ones are ones he'll consider - most of all, he wants something small, like the Kindle and Nook. I sent him your review (on this thread or the other Kindle one) on the Nook and he's pretty sure he's going to go with the Kindle now
1.gif

ETA: I hear ya on wanting the tech simple. I have an iphone to do almost anything else I want - I'd rather have a simple e-reader that doesn't crash or lag because it's trying to do too many things, y'know? And I prefer no touch screens for the e-reader - I hate fingerprint smudges.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I got a Kindle for Christmas and am just now falling in LOVE with it!

At first, I lamented the lack of pages...the absence of the fond old book smell...the heft of a tome...

Then, I started downloading books like a maniac and it is like CRACK.

Best invention ever! So many free books, too!

And I can read Twilight discreetly now without SHAME...in PUBLIC! Heehee!

Today it saved my butt because my phone died - I couldn't send an important e-mail from where I was. Thank God the Kindle has wifi and I logged onto my Gmail and poof! Crisis averted.

I wonder if my future kids will laugh at my Kindle and call me a dinosaur?
34.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEG, totally agree, hate touch screens. Yes, the Kindle''s interface is very rough, but touch screens are confusing, especially since it''s usually that bottom pane that is a touch screen. Most people want to touch the e-ink part, which of course doesn''t work with touch.

I see no need for color either. You want the battery to go forever on these things, and color and some of these more complex features are going to be battery suckers. For now, I''m happy with Kindle 2, and I am hoping Kindle 3 stays true to what it''s supposed to be. I don''t see any reason to upgrade from K2 though.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Oh they''ll definitely laugh at you, Bliss
9.gif

im on the verge of getting one...ive just discovered that lonely planets are $17 a pop on Kindle (so cheap!!) and you dont have to lug the damn things around with you
36.gif

So i think it''ll take me another few weeks of procrastination/justification and then ill get one...and then, my dear psers, you may never see me again
9.gif
11.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 9:21:48 PM
Author: Bliss

At first, I lamented the lack of pages...the absence of the fond old book smell...the heft of a tome...

Today it saved my butt because my phone died - I couldn''t send an important e-mail from where I was. Thank God the Kindle has wifi and I logged onto my Gmail and poof! Crisis averted.

34.gif
I know, we call it the crackle in my house! And I love the discreet part. I save my intelligence for work. When it comes to reading, I want total fluff and I love that no one has to know what I''m reading.

I''ve had it less than a month and think I''ve read 20 or so books already. I''m hardly on PS anymore because I''m always curled up with that thing. I put on my FB account that I was in LOVE with it and it''s now my other husband...and who was I kidding? It was actually my LOVER since my husband doesn''t inspire THIS kind of passion (hehehe.) My friend commented that I should make sure I put down husband #2 to kiss husband #1 on New Year''s Eve, and I said, don''t worry...I''ll make sure to put down TGuy to kiss my Kindle...oh wait, she meant husband in order of MARRIAGE - I thought she meant husband in order of IMPORTANCE to me. Hahaha.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
TGal...YES!!!!

What would I even begin to call this...wonderful miracle?

The first time I read a book on it... I was like, "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?"

Is it a Cracakindle? Heroindle? Marijuindle? Chocokindle?

I don't know, but the world better watch out. The single most addictive device has been unleashed and it is The Kindle!

Click click click click click!

Oh baby, gimme one more book!
31.gif
It's...jawdroppingly fab.

It will change my life forever.

Oh man, DH didn't know he was buying me HIS OWN RIVAL LOVAH when he got this for me.

He asked me to try out the new "nook" from Barnes & Noble before fully committing.

Let me tell you, it is NO CONTEST. The selling point of the nook to me was that you could read for free all the titles in a Barnes & Noble store. Well, they stopped that. And the touchscreen is HADES! The guy demonstrating it kept misfiring because it either wouldn't register or he hit the wrong thing. I personally found the little ribbon of a touchscreen to be clunkier and awkward. And I'm a touchscreen girl with phones and PDAs. The nook's touchscreen is not responsive and SLOW. Also, the wifi in Barnes & Noble was terrible from all the people living there on laptops and it couldn't even connect! Awful! I actually prefer a physical keyboard. The tracker/mouse on the Kindle makes it MUCH easier to navigate.

Ahhh, Kindle... How Grand Thou Art...

If this isn't sweet love, what is? LOLOLOL

ETA: Blackpaw, you are in for the time of your life!
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
LOL Tgal on your FIRST hubby!

Umm...so I was going to link BF''s kindle to my Amazon acct so he has access to books I''ve already bought (another reason for him to get the Kindle). I was going through my books to see what else he would like....and there wasn''t much. I buy some trashy stuff (i.e. James Rollins'' Altar of Eden) because I like light reading
3.gif
And it IS like crack - trashy crack!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
My husband has had a kindle since November or so. When Christmas came around he begged and begged his dad to get me a kindle so I''ll stop stealing his.

31.gif

Guess my evil plan worked because now we have two.
30.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 10:56:49 PM
TGal...YES!!!!

What would I even begin to call this...wonderful miracle?

The first time I read a book on it... I was like, ''WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?''

Is it a Cracakindle? Heroindle? Marijuindle? Chocokindle?

I don''t know, but the world better watch out. The single most addictive device has been unleashed and it is The Kindle!

Oh baby, gimme one more book!
31.gif
It''s...jawdroppingly fab.

It will change my life forever.

Oh man, DH didn''t know he was buying me HIS OWN RIVAL LOVAH when he got this for me.

He asked me to try out the new ''nook'' from Barnes & Noble before fully committing.

Let me tell you, it is NO CONTEST. The selling point of the nook to me was that you could read for free all the titles in a Barnes & Noble store. Well, they stopped that. And the touchscreen is HADES! The guy demonstrating it kept misfiring because it either wouldn''t register or he hit the wrong thing. I personally found the little ribbon of a touchscreen to be clunkier and awkward. And I''m a touchscreen girl with phones and PDAs. The nook''s touchscreen is not responsive and SLOW. Also, the wifi in Barnes & Noble was terrible from all the people living there on laptops and it couldn''t even connect! Awful! I actually prefer a physical keyboard. The tracker/mouse on the Kindle makes it MUCH easier to navigate.

Ahhh, Kindle... How Grand Thou Art...

If this isn''t sweet love, what is? LOLOLOL

ETA: Blackpaw, you are in for the time of your life!
36.gif
Really? I didn''t know that. Why would they put a halt to something that was one of their biggest selling points? And it hasn''t even been shipping for a month yet!

clammer

Shiny_Rock
I have the Sony reader and love it. If I were going to purchase one now, I would get the Kindle. However, if you wait a few more months, Apple is rumored to be coming out with a reader/internet/email device that is a little larger than the Kindle. The reader will have the same type a screen as the other readers so that it doesn''t strain your eyes. I will probably upgrade to that.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, in spite of my IT career, I''m generally a Luddite when it comes to the latest HOT gadget. I love almost everything about the physicality of books. HOWEVER, being in the IT field, the technical books you are often forced to read are typically 3 inches thick, made of neutron star matter, and ironically laced with words like EASY! SIMPLE! IMPROVED! (that''s why the book is so freakin'' thick, right??) So, having a Safari Bookshelf subscription with a Kindle or similar device, is beginning to sound more attractive to my body, at least for technical reading. I can also see it being a great life-saver for students with multiple, heavy texts...

Will continue to consider it while they get the "content" issues hammered out. I''m not an early adopter of stuff....

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so glad you guys are talking about this. I''m very interested in an e-book. I''m an avid reader and traveler and think I really need one of these but I''m just so confused as to which is the best one to get. I have a question, does the Kindle [or any of them] have the functionality to back up your down-loaded library to a pc or portable drive? It would be devistating to lose a large purchased library if the device crashes.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have had my Kindle since August and love it!

I have a Borsa Bella travel bag, beautiful cover...I belong to a board where we talk Kindle, Kindle, Kindle...I love it more than anything.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again, I LOVE MY KINDLE. I learned an important lesson yesterday though. Make sure you have a backup book you KNOW you''ll love when on a flight. I finished a junk food book and went to one of the "free" ones I''d downloaded the night before... Yeah, maybe I should have read some it before I was in a wireless dead zone. It had five stars.... I''m thinking because it was FREE. It read like I wrote it over lunch. Ugh. Before I got on my return flight I downloaded something good. And that''s something I love, the ability to download on the go. That darn one click thing from Amazon makes it really hard to resist buying books!!!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 10:10:08 AM
Author: Catmom
I''m so glad you guys are talking about this. I''m very interested in an e-book. I''m an avid reader and traveler and think I really need one of these but I''m just so confused as to which is the best one to get. I have a question, does the Kindle [or any of them] have the functionality to back up your down-loaded library to a pc or portable drive? It would be devistating to lose a large purchased library if the device crashes.
With the Kindle, all of your books are backed up on Amazon.com. If you lose your Kindle, get a new one or run out of space and need to remove books, they can be put back on your Kindle at any time. It''s really cool!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2010 11:31:17 AM
Author: April20

With the Kindle, all of your books are backed up on Amazon.com. If you lose your Kindle, get a new one or run out of space and need to remove books, they can be put back on your Kindle at any time. It''s really cool!
Thanks April20, that is cool! So does that mean that all your books have to be down loaded from Amazon.com? LOL, I''m such a newbie at this. Can they even be bought from somewhere else and if so do these get backed up on Amazon.com as well?

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2010 12:18:04 PM

Date: 1/9/2010 11:31:17 AM
Author: April20

Thanks April20, that is cool! So does that mean that all your books have to be down loaded from Amazon.com? LOL, I''m such a newbie at this. Can they even be bought from somewhere else and if so do these get backed up on Amazon.com as well?
The only ones backed up on Amazon are ones you download from Amazon. The Guttenburg project has many books that are in public domain (lots of classics) in the Kindle format and to get those on your Kindle, you have to download to your computer and then download from your computer to your Kindle with the USB cord. I don''t know if there are other sites out there where you can buy books and download this same way, I haven''t actually checked. If you''re purchasing books, purchasing from Amazon makes the most sense. You can wirelessly download via a 3G connection that works like a cell phone signal. It''s really cool. Once you''re got your credit card associated with your Amazon account, all you have to do is click the "buy" button within the Amazon store on your Kindle. You really have to exercise self control! You can also buy via Amazon.com and the books will wirelessly download to your Kindle once you turn your signal on. You want to keep your signal off unless you''re downloading books as it eats your battery life. The battery lasts about 2 weeks with wireless off and about 2 days with it on. There''s really no reason to have it on other than when you specifically need it.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 10:19:27 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 1/8/2010 9:21:48 PM

Today it saved my butt because my phone died - I couldn't send an important e-mail from where I was. Thank God the Kindle has wifi and I logged onto my Gmail and poof! Crisis averted.

34.gif
I know, we call it the crackle in my house! And I love the discreet part. I save my intelligence for work. When it comes to reading, I want total fluff and I love that no one has to know what I'm reading.

I've had it less than a month and think I've read 20 or so books already. I'm hardly on PS anymore because I'm always curled up with that thing. I put on my FB account that I was in LOVE with it and it's now my other husband...and who was I kidding? It was actually my LOVER since my husband doesn't inspire THIS kind of passion (hehehe.) My friend commented that I should make sure I put down husband #2 to kiss husband #1 on New Year's Eve, and I said, don't worry...I'll make sure to put down TGuy to kiss my Kindle...oh wait, she meant husband in order of MARRIAGE - I thought she meant husband in order of IMPORTANCE to me. Hahaha.
Oh yes. Indeed. My husband is a bit jealous of my Kindle I think. For serious. I do spend a ridiculously long time snuggling it.

And yeah. Nobody need know that I'm reading some trashy novel or other, and I love that!

Also I adore that you can ziplock bag it a couple of times and read in the tub easily. I have been known to nod off in the tub and dampen paper books. (My mom is worse. Any paper book I loan her comes back tub-dunked.)

Oh and it's super easy to back up the Kindle. I put text files on it a lot and you just plug it into a computer, it opens the drive automatically and you can drag & drop the documents file on the Kindle into a backup file on the computer. Voila! And yeah, Amazon purchased books are automatically backed up by them. No need to worry about those.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
So today before I left the house I started saying all sorts of REALLY mushy stuff while my husband was in the other room.

"I'm going to miss you SO much!"
"I love you! Don't forget!"
"Will you be OK without me?"
"How will I survive without you?"
"Every moment, I will think about you."
"I ADORE YOU!"
"You have made me the happiest woman alive!!!"

DH *runs* into the room thinking he's going to be showered with kisses....arms outstretched....face lit up with anticipation....

And sees me cradling my Kindle in my arms, professing my undying affection to this little tablet of endless joy.

IT WAS SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got a Kindle for Christmas - it was the only thing I asked for! I had been trying to make up my mind, and then tgal gave it such a great review that I decided to give it a try. I love it so much!!!!! Hubby doesn''t read so he doesn''t understand why I''m always gushing over it. I''m losing sleep staying up so late at night reading. I received 2 real books for Christmas too, and I was thinking of downloading them to read them because I LOVE my Kindle so much!!!!!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
DEGREE - ME, TOO!

I think Kindle should come out with some sort of magical eye cream for all of us with dark circles from staying up with it.

36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
LOL Bliss!

Um I''m so peeved at my kitties right now. They got on the counter, which they aren''t supposed to do, and pulled out some of the leather strips on my Cole Haan cover for my Kindle.
29.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Hey are there any Canadians out there with a Kindle? I live in Canada and just want to make sure that the wireless network works well here etc? Any problems with it?

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have avoided this because I feel like it''s "Crossing over". As a student and full time employee, I don''t have time to read outside of classes, but I graduate in May so this MIGHT be on my "graduation present" list

G.J.Keygirl

Rough_Rock
Hey Blackpaw. I live in Ontario and I''ve had my Kindle for just over a month. Works super fast for downloading, no problems what so ever! Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results