shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like holiday fruit cakes and eggnog?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember Christmas pudding from back in the day. MIL always make "hard sauce" for hers, which was basically a very thick frosting. Way too sweet for me! But I miss it anyway. It was tradition, and we're the only part of the family that lives across the country from "home" so we miss out on everything. Including the incessant sibling rivalry and bickering, lol!:P2

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Steamed pudding is the best! Do you have her recipe? I’m always curious about different iterations.
There was a recipe with the pan, but I’m not sure I know where it is now. Last time I used a recipe from online somewhere

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
I love eggnog. Love anything custardy really, but especially holiday eggnog. I've skipped breakfast or lunch to make room for eggnog, when the spirit moves. Gotta have booze in it too.

Nobody I know knows how to make a good fruitcake, so it's not really on my radar. Someday I do want to try Mary Berry's fruitcake - it's the kind you "feed" with brandy over the course of months, which is fascinating in itself.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@naivemelody YES to Eggnog!

Eggnog cake sounds great @AGBF.

I am already guilty of Eggnog Icecream...

I am no good at drinking, but these things need the spicing up with a little of something good.

-

Fruitcake always seemed too complicated - and it is a perfectly exotic, foreign tradition I have not picked up. The best I had was in London someplace & not even at its right time of the year. Reading this thread makes me want some!

-

No contest between butter & sugar cookies .) I LOVE them both. To bits.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Egg nogg yes, fruit cake no. Does anyone like mincemeat pie?

Not too keen on mince pies, unless it is mashed up while warm, and mixed with a good helping of brandy butter.

It does not look very appetising, however it tastes divine.

DK :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to make eggnog pie today with real whipped cream but the day seems too crazy. I had to have a pre-op blood test early in the morning and two (not one) repairmen have to come. (One-for the heat-came and left, but another is coming. None of our televisions work.) My crazy husband is here. He walked the dog without a muzzle and with the prong collar on backwards then complained when he couldn't control the dog and told me I was going to get sued and blamed me for his losing his hat. (I was out having my blood drawn when he took out the dog. He cancelled my dogwalker for today and Friday since he is here and can walk the dog and the dogwalker costs too much money.) I'd better stop. I may have a breakdown if I keep going! My great-nephew flies in from Dallas later and I have to start making a creamed corn casserole. :))

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to make eggnog pie today with real whipped cream but the day seems too crazy. I had to have a pre-op blood test early in the morning and two (not one) repairmen have to come. (One-for the heat-came and left, but another is coming. None of our televisions work.) My crazy husband is here. He walked the dog without a muzzle and with the prong collar on backwards then complained when he couldn't control the dog and told me I was going to get sued and blamed me for his losing his hat. (I was out having my blood drawn when he took out the dog. He cancelled my dogwalker for today and Friday since he is here and can walk the dog and the dogwalker costs too much money.) I'd better stop. I may have a breakdown if I keep going! My great-nephew flies in from Dallas later and I have to start making a creamed corn casserole. :))
bighug5.gif

I hope you have an absolutely wonderful visit with your nephew Deb.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. He is here. I made the eggnog pie. Then we all went out to an Italian restaurant for dinner. I ate fried calamari and linguine with clam sauce and also ate bread and butter. I had no idea I was going to indulge. Now all four of us are going to watch the DVD of "Magnus". Happy Thanksgiving to you, Ellen, and to everyone on Pricescope!

Deb :wavey:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad you indulged! :appl: ;))

Enjoy the movie, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being English, Christmas cake (fruit cake) is traditional here, usually marzipanned and iced. I like fruit cake but can’t stand marzipan or icing.

We love mince pies too and Christmas pudding, which I always used to make. Don’t bother now as it’s often just the 2 of us.

I have a great foolproof recipe that you cook in the microwave, so no steaming for 3 weeks :lol:

Egg nog isn’t really a big thing here, but my MIL always like a Snowball at Christmas, Advocaat and lemonade.

Reactions: AV_

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Being English, Christmas cake (fruit cake) is traditional here, usually marzipanned and iced. I like fruit cake but can’t stand marzipan or icing.

We love mince pies too and Christmas pudding, which I always used to make. Don’t bother now as it’s often just the 2 of us.

I have a great foolproof recipe that you cook in the microwave, so no steaming for 3 weeks :lol:

Egg nog isn’t really a big thing here, but my MIL always like a Snowball at Christmas, Advocaat and lemonade.
Me too, but mine is in the form of precipitation. I have a feeling your MIL's isn't. ::) Care to share?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The eggnog pie I made was delicious. I should really post the recipe, as I made it, in the Thanksgiving-or in a new Christmas-recipe thread! Well chilled, with real whipped cream, it was divine!

AGBF

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The eggnog pie I made was delicious. I should really post the recipe, as I made it, in the Thanksgiving-or in a new Christmas-recipe thread! Well chilled, with real whipped cream, it was divine!

AGBF
Uhhuh.gif

So glad it turned out well Deb!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, after all the talk of fruitcake, I got inspired. (And me getting inspired these days is a trick)

I did not make a fruitcake. But back in 1985 I got a copy of "The Dessert Lover's Cookbook" by Marlene Sorosky. I've gotten some good stuff out of it over the years, but most of the recipes seemed (still seem) a bit involved. And I rarely make desserts during the bulk of the year, usually only around the holidays. But still, there is one that I've always wanted to try but never did. So, 33 years after the fact, I'm giving it a go. It's kinda like a fruitcake, as you'll see.

I made light and dark steamed pudding. (The brandy cream sauce will come later) It consists of making a batter that you sort of halve, and the first portion is flavored with brandy, orange juice, orange zest, and chopped pecans, while the other portion is flavored with spices (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg), cocoa, dark raisins, chopped dates, and Kahlua. It's all put in a greased and floured 8 cup pudding mold and then steamed in a pot on the stove. For THREE HOURS! Then after it's cooled, you wrap it in a double layer of brandy-soaked cheesecloth, then foil, and stick it in the fridge for at least 2 weeks, and maybe a month or more.

It's not a difficult recipe, but in my condition it took darn near all day. SO MANY ingredients to prepare and get out. The batter doesn't just have flour and baking powder, eggs, etc, but also has lots of fresh soft white bread crumbs - which I had to make from a loaf I had. Then I couldn't reach the spice grinder and had to use a mortar and pestle to pound some whole allspice, which was all we had. I started feeling pretty awful about halfway through, but then I couldn't reasonably stop and had to limp along as the fatigue would allow. Seriously, I didn't get it unmolded and onto the cooling rack until after 9. I was WHUPPED. Thank goodness my husband helped toward the end, or I might not have made it and that would have been a terrible shame, after all that stuff and work.

So anyway, it's now tucked in the back of the fridge until Christmas. I'll try to remember to let you all know if I end up thinking it's worth doing it again next year. I can tell ya though, I'd never make more than one of these per year. So much prep! Yikes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results