shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like holiday fruit cakes and eggnog?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never had homemade eggnog. But I'm sure it's delicious.
I do, however, like the supermarket stuff, there in the dairy case. Dad always brought it home when I was a kid, so it is nostalgic for me. I prefer alcohol-free.
I also like fruitcake, especially my own home made. Very little batter, just enough to hold all the yummy pecans and candied fruit together. Yum!
And fresh roasted chestnuts are really good, too!

Last edited:

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am lactose intolerant so no eggnog for me. We never had fruitcake growing up but always had homemade sugar cookies with frosting. I make a variation on the sugar cookie with nutmeg that is delicious.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can’t even stomach the idea of eggnog.

Yes to all of the fruity holiday cakes. Christmas pudding is my absolute favorite thing!

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
...fruitcake, especially my own home made. Very little batter, just enough to hold all the yummy pecans and candied fruit together. Yum!

Chestnuts! Yes to them... The street roasters do a great job around town (looking forward to lunch - some ten hours from now (4am).

Yes to all of the fruity holiday cakes. Christmas pudding is my absolute favorite thing!

This thread needs some recipes... (note to self too)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never had homemade eggnog. But I'm sure it's delicious.
I do, however, like the supermarket stuff, there in the dairy case. Dad always brought it home when I was a kid, so it is nostalgic for me. I prefer alcohol-free.
I also like fruitcake, especially my own home made. Very little batter, just enough to hold all the yummy pecans and candied fruit together. Yum!

You know if you have a little extra this year, feel free to send some to CT :twisted2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... had homemade sugar cookies with frosting. I make a variation on the sugar cookie with nutmeg that is delicious.

OMG! YES! I am not a Christmas tree person, but there have to be sugar cookies... (have a great aunt to be grateful to for the habit - quite the woman too).

Long day ahead

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does figgy pudding count as fruitcake?
Tried making some a few years back and loved it, though its pretty dense. Later discovered my grandmother was apparently a maker of steamed pudding when going through some old things and finding her pudding tin!
Kind of meh on eggnog. It always tastes better in my mind then in real life.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chestnuts! Yes to them... The street roasters do a great job around town (looking forward to lunch - some ten hours from now (4am).
Wish it was in my town. :lickout: I can easily eat 1 lb in 20 mins...:silenced:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coud race you ,)
where are you located? are you referring to those little round chestnuts sold on the street?.

I live in Ca. and I can buy fresh Ca. grown chestnuts at the Asian market usually from mid Sept. to early Oct. The season is over for chestnuts in Ca... ;(

AV_

Ideal_Rock
where are you located? are you referring to those little round chestnuts sold on the street?.

Granada, Spain.

There will be chestnuts on the streets & in shops throughout the winter, sure enough. The harvest was over a couple of weeks ago at most (oficially Oct-Nov)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tried making some a few years back and loved it, though its pretty dense. Later discovered my grandmother was apparently a maker of steamed pudding when going through some old things and finding her pudding tin!
From the description in the link (if it's correct, as I've no knowledge of figgy pudding outside of this song) sort of. Fruit cake has no milk and more fruit.

I'm posting this song, as your mention of figgy pudding reminded me of it, bringing me back to my childhood. My mom had a Christmas album with this song on it, and I used to sing it to myself a lot when I was little. Thanks for the memory. :))

https://www.carols.org.uk/we_wish_you_a_merry_christmas.htm

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy! They said the next delivery is 9:15..Too bad they don’t deliver to Pa!

Next time you are in my area let me know and I will take you out to Juniors.:appl:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never been a fan of fruit cake except for cherries only cakes.

As for egg nog, thanks for the reminder as I am off to visit my folks in Canada soon, and shall have some when I am there, yum! :love:

DK :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never been a fan of fruit cake except for cherries only cakes.

As for egg nog, thanks for the reminder as I am off to visit my folks in Canada soon, and shall have some when I am there, yum! :love:

DK :))

Have a great trip, DK.

Deb :wavey:

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never liked fruitcake until I had a neighbor who made it every year and gave it to me as a gift. It was blonde, fine-grained, lightly spiced, heavy on nuts, light on candied cherries, and really heavy on the booze. I recall him saying it took several different liquors to make, and he started a month in advance to get them going. To this day I could kick myself for not getting the recipe, although I've found one I think might be close. Fruitcake is not like some hard, fast thing anyway - there are a zillion variations, so there's no reason you couldn't encounter one or two that you like, in a lifetime. But there are a lot of awful ones out there, I'll admit.

Rarely remember to have any, even at parties, but I LOVE eggnog. Homemade with extra bourbon is the best. ;))

ETA - This is the recipe I found that looks very similar to what I had. I would tweak a few things, like I'm not all that fond of candied ginger so I'd probably nix that. But the rest of it sounds pretty close, as does the picture.

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/cassandras-light-fruitcake-recipe

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
eggnog yes

fruit cake no

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! YES! I am not a Christmas tree person, but there have to be sugar cookies... (have a great aunt to be grateful to for the habit - quite the woman too).

Long day ahead

We may have to have a poll about whether sugar cookies or butter cookies are the better cookies for Christmas. ;))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Butter cookies over sugar cookies.

What is a Christmas pudding?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom/grandmother always made Ambrosia Cake. I won't make it (its got fruit in it:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:) but its a chocolate cake, and there's nuts....Still though...cooked fruit:silenced::silenced::silenced::snooty::snooty::snooty::snooty:

But hey, I don't eat or like apple pie either:lol-2::P2 and don't even try with cherry.

I've always been this way even as a little kid. My mother says I'm probably not human...lol

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love eggnog, Fruit cake.... not so much!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My MIL steeped her fruit cake in rum for 3 months. I swear you could almost get drunk eating it! I've never had eggnog with alcohol, nor homemade egg nog. I probably wouldn't like it any better than store bought. I don't mind the 1 tasting per year to be in the spirit.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

:knockout:

No to both :knockout:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Martha Stewart recipe for egg nog is the best around.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s pretty much in the same family as fruitcake. Steamed pudding is the best! Do you have her recipe? I’m always curious about different iterations.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Butter cookies over sugar cookies.

What is a Christmas pudding?
Butter is always better.
Uhhuh.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results