shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like clothing as much as diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Random question, I know...But I''m just curious if people on Pricescope are as picky about their clothing as they are their diamonds/other jewelry. I think one of the reasons I was so adamant on picking out my own engagement ring and doing tons of research is because I am super into clothes, shoes, bags, etc. and I obsess over them just as much as diamonds!

What about you all? Anyone else here suffering from a shoe/bag sickness like me? I''m also way too obsessed with clothing, especially jeans! And I have tons of necklaces, too. (Mostly sterling silver and gold, I don''t have any gemstone necklaces.) Okay, so I guess I just said I was obsessed with almost everything a person can wear...

I swear I''m not completely shallow! I''m a clothing buyer for a boutique so it''s pretty much inescapable for me...not that I try very hard to escape!
11.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like clothes quite a bit, but I''m really cheap about clothes. I basically shop at marshalls, tjmaxx, and ross all the time...except nice jeans, every now and then I''ll buy a pair of nice jeans.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am pretty bad there too.

I really love designer stuff, just feel it holds it value if it is classic in design and fabric. I am NOT a trendy shopper for the most part, I try to buy classics...and even though I look younger than 41 I am in the zone of wanting to be fashionable but not trendy or a fashion victim, and I really want to buy things that look right...not to young and not frumpy either...really tough. But since I am investing in pricey things like Chanel jackets and gowns by Monique Llhulier, Oscar de la Renta, Badgely Mischka and Carolina Herrara etc, and expensive shoes and bags like Chanel and Louboutin, I really do not wish to be frivolous and trend focused. Even the priciest clothes have seasons where the stuff is just god awful, and there is someone buying it I am sure...but I must admit I am pretty aware of clothes and I have even seen some of my gowns on stars in magazines, which tickles me...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love nice clothes and designer handbags and shoes but am not as mad about them as I am diamonds. In the past and especially when I was younger I spent tons of money on designer clothes but found that after a while I don't wear them any more or as often as the price would justify. Reasons: I've put on weight, the clothes go out of fashion, my tastes change etc. So I find it a real waste to spend several thousands on an evening gown just so that I could only wear it once or twice or even three times. I still buy some nicer pieces like DVF, DK, Jimmy Choo etc. sometimes at original prices but mostly I buy in the sale.

Diamonds on the other hand are really forever. God, I am so brain-washed!
3.gif

One of my best GF's and her husband on the other hands are real clothes fanatics. They wouldn't think twice before dropping tens of thousands of dollars on gorgeous designer clothes and designer shoes. Every time I go to see them, I get such a kick out of looking through their wardrobes, which she gladly lets me. He he. She likes diamonds too but not as much as shoes and clothes. She also goes for brand names in diamonds, she has a Tiffany Lucida and another Tiffany diamond RHR. They can afford all these things and I am really happy for them. I appreciate looking at their beautiful pieces, but our budget does not allow us to spend so much on designer clothes or so much on clothes - period.
8.gif

I also love real estate. Mad about them, actually.
2.gif
. DH and I own three and we're thinking of purchasing another one.
6.gif
I think real estate, if you do yr research thoroughly and also with some luck, they can be great investments. Shall I start a thread on real estate?
1.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really fanatical about clothes, but shoes is a totally different thing!! I adore shoes, every type, but especially Jimmy Choos. I adore them. We dont have Manolo Blahnik over here, so when I went to NY last year, I bought two pairs of them. I have another couple of my shopping list for NY this year too. Not a huge fan of bags though, but Im hoping to get one or two in NY also.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Oh Diamondfan...I bet your closet is just divine...I bet those gowns are amazing...and your shoes...to-die-for!

As for me, I like clothes...but I just LOVE shoes...almost as much as diamonds....

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a girly girl, and I love it all...make up, clothes, shoes, bags, jewelry. Maybe it was good I did not have a daughter, TWO of me would kill my hubby, but I think I would have ended up with a tomboy!!!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Yep, maybe it is good you don''t have a daughter...but then again, someday you will have a DIL who can share shopping trips with you...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope, with three boys, I have one great daughter in law. I have learned so much about what NOT to do from mine and hope I would be a fun one. I am only 41, my oldest is only 14, so I think I have a long way to go, but am trying to learn a lot about things from women I know who have sons getting married now. I cannot wait to have grandkids either...I could end up with grandkids and a kid still in college, but we shall see!

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Yes, but I tend to buy labels like Nanette Lepore, Rebecca Taylor, Rachel Pally, Rafe (handbags), Sigerson Morrison & Barbara Bui (for shoes) rather than DKNY, Fendi etc. I love one-off pieces, and would categorise my style as classic but with a definite twist.

I am crazy about jeans and tend to live my life in James and Splendid tees.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 8:17:27 AM
Author: diamondfan
I am a girly girl, and I love it all...make up, clothes, shoes, bags, jewelry.
I would like to second that comment. Anything feminine I am THERE...shoes, make-up, clothes, beauty products, Bags, jewlery...*SIGH*
30.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m really not into clothes... I was thinking about this today as I struggled to get dressed into something non-rumply. I don''t think I succeeded, but it''s cold and I''m tired and I''m sitting at my desk all day anyway so who cares. Yeah, I''m a casual kind of girl.

I''m kind of into bags... but only in the way that I want something unique... would never spend big $$$ on a purse. Don''t buy into designers whatsoever.

I do love makeup, but I don''t spend on designer names because they''re not any better than the non-designers.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i LOVE clothes...i am a definite shopaholic. i love getting brand names at under retail prices either online or in loehmann's or similar...who wants to pay full price for this season's trends?! not me. i have a ton of jeans as well. i also love shoes and bags but i tend to not spend on those as much as i do clothes (well except for some handbags lol). but i usually get a few new pairs of shoes each season to have 'staples' on hand kinda thing. the problem is that i buy a lot of clothes but then i tend to quickly find out which are 'favorites' for wearing, aka versatile, comfy and look cute, so then a lot of other things i get just sit in the closet looking good but never getting worn. i have to somehow figure out a way to be better about wearing everything i buy at some point!! i also don't spend on things like makeup or hair or fashion jewelry stuff, i have the basics necessary, but it's more about the clothes for me.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 11:43:31 PM
Author:thing2of2
I dare say MORE!!!

I don't really have the shoe bug... well, I buy shoes, I have a lot of them, but I don't think it's nearly to the standards of most women out there.

BAGS... now that's another story! My weaknesses are bags, jeans, tops, and designer sweatpants (kill me, I know)--always at sample sales (my favorite LA discovery!) if possible!!
37.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my 20s, I was NEVER a girly girl and hated shopping with a passion.....until around 2-3 years ago. Once I hit my 30s, I realized that my body and looks were changing and I decided that I should make the most of my youth while I still could. So I started making myself shop more often, trying new styles on. And I found that it was fun! Especially when I found sweet deals and sales! In terms of brands, I like a variety. My wardrobe is mostly basic stuff like from Gap, Banana, and Nordstrom''s. I try to stay current-looking without being trendy. I.e., just one trendy item per outfit.

Once in awhile, I''ll splurge on a nice piece of clothing (more than $100) or a nice pair of shoes. If it weren''t for my gimpy feet, I''d probably be a shamless shoe whore. But I just buy whatever shoes that won''t squeeze my goblin feet, i.e. ortho brands like Naturalizer and Aerosoles. [snore] I''m definitely not brand-focused. Well, except for my beloved handbags which are mostly Balenciaga.
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 9:46:44 AM
Author: sumbride
I''m really not into clothes... I was thinking about this today as I struggled to get dressed into something non-rumply. I don''t think I succeeded, but it''s cold and I''m tired and I''m sitting at my desk all day anyway so who cares. Yeah, I''m a casual kind of girl.

I''m kind of into bags... but only in the way that I want something unique... would never spend big $$$ on a purse. Don''t buy into designers whatsoever.

I do love makeup, but I don''t spend on designer names because they''re not any better than the non-designers.
sumbride... we can share a bench on this topic :)

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 12:40:57 PM
Author: musey

Date: 3/18/2007 11:43:31 PM
Author:thing2of2
I dare say MORE!!!

I don''t really have the shoe bug... well, I buy shoes, I have a lot of them, but I don''t think it''s nearly to the standards of most women out there.

BAGS... now that''s another story! My weaknesses are bags, jeans, tops, and designer sweatpants (kill me, I know)--always at sample sales (my favorite LA discovery!) if possible!!
37.gif

Curious to know what that "standard" is. How many is too many?

I definately have a show problem. That is fact. Put it this way, when I got my first pair of Jimmy Choos, two years before Sex and the City glorified them and destroyed them...I was so nutty as to have my friend (who was back then an amateur photographer) actually photograph them unworn. The pictures of them made me so happy that wearing them felt almost wrong...but I eventually did...silly isn''t?

Looking back for tax purposes, I went through my donation slips, and last year when I moved, I literally donated a small shoe country alone. What remains now is a smaller (but growing) shoe empire...
38.gif
31.gif
30.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have to admit I''m not into clothing much at all. I buy 99% of my clothes online from either Old Navy or Victoria''s Secret. I guess because I work in a job where my clothes get messy constantly, that I just don''t want to spend the money on good clothing. On the weekends I tend to dress more nicely, but still not expensively. I do love my diamonds though, obviously, and I recently became obsessed with getting a Balenciaga bag. I can''t have too many costly habits; I can''t afford them all!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 9:46:44 AM
Author: sumbride
I''m really not into clothes... I was thinking about this today as I struggled to get dressed into something non-rumply.
heehee....ditto!

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
No. But I love handbags more than I love diamonds, much to my husband''s dismay. I only own one pair of shoes, and I''m so far out of the norm when it comes to girly things, but I can''t resist a bag.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I like nice clothing but am a bargain shopper, love places like tj maxx, bluefly.com. Now handbags, thats another story, i love lv, gucci, and fendi. As far as diamonds go, right now i''m just focused on THE diamond, the engagement ring! I don''t know if this obsession will continue once that wish is fulfilled...but I guess all obsessions have to start somewhere!
4.gif

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 6:03:11 PM
Author: colorkitty
No. But I love handbags more than I love diamonds, much to my husband''s dismay. I only own one pair of shoes, and I''m so far out of the norm when it comes to girly things, but I can''t resist a bag.
Wow, you''re only one of 2 people I know who only own one pair of shoes. I "knew" this lady on my kid''s babycenter boards who said she had to miss her elder daughter''s parent teacher conference because she misplaced one of her shoes, and she only had that one pair!

I love shoes, I love purses and I love clothes. I have a ton of all those items. However, like some of the people here, I''m a bargain shopper. I usually shop at Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and get nice brands for less. When I "splurge", I pay full price at mall stores....but I don''t wear expensive designer stuff...I usually buy my stuff at Ann Taylor, J. Crew, Banana Republic etc. As for shoes, I''m the same...middle range shoes like Steve Madden, Nine West etc. are what I like.

Thing2of2 -- I totally agree that one of the reasons I FOUND pricescope was because of being sort of a "retail sleuth." I am constantly on the internet looking up designers/brands to find out where to buy it for less. As far as clothes, shoes, bags and other jewelery, I am more into clothes than anything else - seven jeans and juicy sweats addict. Total shopaholic - worked in retail for 5 years so not only do I constantly find myself buying lots of clothes, but I analyze them to death. (ex - trying on 3 pairs of the same jeans in the same size bc they are often all cut just a little bit different!) I am also addicted to surfing the sale sections of neiman marcus, bloomingdales, saks, and polo. I have found phenomenal deals for still nearly in-season stuff. Best deal - my sister and I each got a TON of juicy sweats from neiman marcus all for ~$30 a piece. I got into online shopping in college when I was located in the middle of NOWHERE. I also have a coach addiction and wear mostly tiffany jewelry (just sterling silver stuff - all gifts from my bf/family for about every holiday). I teach elementary school, which has totally helped my purchasing over the past two years. I really don''t wear anything too nice too work because it will get markers, paint and little hands all over it. Still waiting to get bit by the shoe bug, I own about 50 pairs of flip flops, but nothing fancier/more expensive - yet!!

I am very glad I found PS because I LOVE reading threads from other detail-oriented people analyzing prong alignments and jean rises -- all things I do that most people would NEVER understand!!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish I was more of a bargain shopper! I used to like to hunt for bargains, too, but now I usually buy from the store I work for (I get a discount) or I shop online. I occasionally find coupons for the websites I shop on, so I always look for them, but I usually just buy it if I really want it! I guess I''ve gotten a little lazy!

I''m not quite on the level of diamondfan, of course, but I do love designer bags, shoes and denim. (I''m more in the "contemporary" pricepoint, though!)

My favorite handbags are by Marc Jacobs and Marc by Marc Jacobs (I only have one "big" Marc Jacobs handbag, though...the rest are Marc by Marc!). I also really like Chloe bags but I haven''t broken down and bought one yet...

For shoes I love Marc by Marc, Repetto, London Sole and French Sole lately. On the less expensive end I love Jeffrey Campbell and Natural Comfort shoes. By the way, if you like killer wedges but want comfy shoes, you have to buy Natural Comfort wedges! They''ve got a cool 70s vibe and they are ridiculously comfortable.

Lately for denim I''ve been into Nudie, Citizens of Humanity, Cheap Monday and Rich and Skinny. I also have a rad pair of white tapered Sevens, but Sevens don''t look as good on my as other brands so I don''t usually buy them.

I''ve only been buying straight legs and tapered legs...I don''t think I can ever go back to bootcuts! I''ve always loved skinny leg jeans but I could only ever find a few pairs from Citizens of Humanity a few years ago, so now that they''re trendy I''ve been buying crazy amounts.

It''s so interesting to hear about people''s purchasing habits...I mean, colorkitty blew my mind when she said she only has one pair of shoes! There have been weeks when I''ve ordered 5 pairs of shoes online! Seriously! I have no idea how many shoes I own but it''s probably in the hundreds...I don''t think I want to know, though!
3.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 12:32:00 AM
I am pretty bad there too.

I really love designer stuff, just feel it holds it value if it is classic in design and fabric. I am NOT a trendy shopper for the most part, I try to buy classics...and even though I look younger than 41 I am in the zone of wanting to be fashionable but not trendy or a fashion victim, and I really want to buy things that look right...not to young and not frumpy either...really tough. But since I am investing in pricey things like Chanel jackets and gowns by Monique Llhulier, Oscar de la Renta, Badgely Mischka and Carolina Herrara etc, and expensive shoes and bags like Chanel and Louboutin, I really do not wish to be frivolous and trend focused. Even the priciest clothes have seasons where the stuff is just god awful, and there is someone buying it I am sure...but I must admit I am pretty aware of clothes and I have even seen some of my gowns on stars in magazines, which tickles me...
I am SO there, especially since I'm a few years older than you. I tend to buy more classic stuff too, and my SIL is always giving me crap (lovingly, we're best friends) because I don't dress "younger". Now, she's a few years older than me, and honestly, some of the outfits she wears look like they should be on her 20 something daughters....It IS tough.

And to answer the original question, no, no problem with clothes, or anything else really.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 8:29:57 PM
Author: little miss sunshine
Thing2of2 -- I totally agree that one of the reasons I FOUND pricescope was because of being sort of a ''retail sleuth.'' I am constantly on the internet looking up designers/brands to find out where to buy it for less. As far as clothes, shoes, bags and other jewelery, I am more into clothes than anything else - seven jeans and juicy sweats addict. Total shopaholic - worked in retail for 5 years so not only do I constantly find myself buying lots of clothes, but I analyze them to death. (ex - trying on 3 pairs of the same jeans in the same size bc they are often all cut just a little bit different!) I am also addicted to surfing the sale sections of neiman marcus, bloomingdales, saks, and polo. I have found phenomenal deals for still nearly in-season stuff. Best deal - my sister and I each got a TON of juicy sweats from neiman marcus all for ~$30 a piece. I got into online shopping in college when I was located in the middle of NOWHERE. I also have a coach addiction and wear mostly tiffany jewelry (just sterling silver stuff - all gifts from my bf/family for about every holiday). I teach elementary school, which has totally helped my purchasing over the past two years. I really don''t wear anything too nice too work because it will get markers, paint and little hands all over it. Still waiting to get bit by the shoe bug, I own about 50 pairs of flip flops, but nothing fancier/more expensive - yet!!

I am very glad I found PS because I LOVE reading threads from other detail-oriented people analyzing prong alignments and jean rises -- all things I do that most people would NEVER understand!!

OMG little miss sunshine...I totally do that with jeans...and everything else! Sometimes if I want a shirt or a dress to fit a little loose I will bring 2 or 3 sizes into the dressing room and obsess about all of them! I think retail can really turn someone into a crazy shopaholic if you lean that way anyways. (Which I definitely did!)

And that''s definitely why I found Pricescope, too. I honestly looked and researched for diamonds, settings, etc. for at least a year before I finally managed to come across Pricescope. I''m not sure how it took me so long but I would have been engaged a lot quicker if I found it sooner!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I love clothes and I buy a lot of them. But I don''t invest in very many designer pieces. I guess I like to have a lot of variety and if I bought designer I wouldn''t be able to afford as many. So, the majority of my clothes probably come from Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and J Crew. My DH can never underdstand why I "need" so many clothes, but it''s almost a sickness. LOL.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 8:17:27 AM
I am a girly girl, and I love it all...make up, clothes, shoes, bags, jewelry. Maybe it was good I did not have a daughter, TWO of me would kill my hubby, but I think I would have ended up with a tomboy!!!
Need a little sister?
2.gif

I have a hard time buying clothing because I look for classic and high-quality stuff (Narciso Rodriguez, e.g.) , and I don't quite have the budget. The same goes for bags, though my collection has grown recently (I'm eyeing a white Bottega Veneta currently). As for shoes, I have an embarrassing number of Tods, and am moving on to Manolos.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recall the first time I spent major money on an item of clothing, and it was tough but it got easier. The first time I bought pants for 900.00 or shoes for 500.00 or a jacket for a few thousand, I flipped out. But then I realized as long as I was buying stuff that suited me, was usuable and was not trendy (no lime green suits for me!) and I bought fewer but better pieces, I felt better. I still love a bargain and I love to mix things, so I am not someoe who has to be head to toe in one designer at all, I like to make things edgier and funkier while still looking reasonable for my age...but still, I know I can grab a jacket or slacks or suit that is not this season and it still will look great, which is worthwhile to me in the long run...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perhaps we have similar tastes in clothing. Want to help me find a gown for my wedding dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results