shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like clothing as much as diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think I like clothes as MUCH as jewelry... but my taste is just as expensive in that area. For instance, cashmere and silk feel best on my skin, and most other fabrics make me itch. Not really my choice, but that''s just the way it is. And shoes, oh my goodness. I am not much of a brand girl, but it just so happens all the stuff I like is the MOST expensive for some reason. I think I should have been born a millionaire, haha... or maybe just married one.

*M*

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey harriet, perhaps you should start a thread entitled "my wedding gown". I LOOVEEE Vera Wang and if we''d had money when we got married, I''d have loved to have got one from her.
30.gif

One of my best friends, the one I wrote about with lots of designer shoes and clothes etc, she actually had one made in HK to model after a VW she''d tried on here in Singapore and she looked absolutely divine in it. Even she thought the original dress was too expensive.

But another friend - who''s married an oil trader, translating into lots of $$$$$ - did buy a VW and boy, did she look stunning in it or what.
36.gif

BUT I don''t want to encourage you to spend more money. I might get my wrist slapped!
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I''m insufficiently sentimental, but I don''t want to spend much on a gown I''ll wear only once. I''d rather use the money for our honeymoon.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that''s what my BF did, she saved the money for other things, like more shoes and other clothes, he he.
1.gif
. She said the same as you, that she only wore it once so why spend so much money on it?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2007 11:43:31 PM
Author:thing2of2
Random question, I know...But I''m just curious if people on Pricescope are as picky about their clothing as they are their diamonds/other jewelry.
What about you all? Anyone else here suffering from a shoe/bag sickness like me?
HI:

Yup. It''s one of those $$$ illnesses all right!! ....mmmmm....Dolce......Prada shoes.....god help me......

cheers--Sharon

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 9:57:53 PM
Author: Harriet
Perhaps we have similar tastes in clothing. Want to help me find a gown for my wedding dinner?

Harriet, if you mean me of course I will...where and what time of year? Is the restaurant going to be fancy in Paris or not? Do you want long or short?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/19/2007 10:24:43 PM
Author: diamondfan

Date: 3/19/2007 9:57:53 PM
Perhaps we have similar tastes in clothing. Want to help me find a gown for my wedding dinner?

Harriet, if you mean me of course I will...where and what time of year? Is the restaurant going to be fancy in Paris or not? Do you want long or short?
Of course I mean you. My receptions will be in August of next year. I''m not sure how fancy the Paris restaurant will be (it''s not a party of gourmets), but the one in Singapore will be. So, I''m thinking long. Please keep it simple!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is hard to pick now for next August, do you mean o7 or 08? If you mean 07, the clothes should just be hitting the stores. I would look at Chanel, I think some of their long stuff is lovely, but some is awful too...I have been doing short lately, just seem to like it better for most occasions. All the designers will have new things coming, but you might be early if you are looking for ''08. What is the weather there at that time?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
''08. The weather will be hot in both places. I''m afraid Chanel is beyond me (though I''d love a classic suit some day).

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You might be able to get something long at the end of the season on sale. I would align yourself with a good private shopper at Bergdorfs if they carry it in the city and once you build that rapport, they will often tell you what will be going on sale etc, so you are in the know. Otherwise, I always just make a day of looking, sometimes I love a certain designer and sometimes I think the collection is terrible, so it really just depends. I have seen stuff that blew me away and stuff that totally underwhelmed me, and I was surprised. If you want edgy, Gucci can be good. I also love Lanvin, it is ladylike but with an edge. I think Prada can be great, simple and classic, but have not really seen long by them. I love Tuleh, and Marni, again, do not know how dressy they get, and some seasons have been beyond ugly in my opinion. I still want to look pretty, whether or not I also want a little sexiness or what, I have no wish to look like a walking trend. Lluhlier is great, Dina Bar El makes gorgeous slim satin and silk dresses, very simple but elegant...Proenza Schouler, Kevyn Hall and Behnaz Saranfour are younger and great too, not too matronly or frumpy...you just have to look around. If you are buying for ''08 now you will be holding on to it, or you can wait til next winter (depending on the designer, it can be anytime in the winter, they buy then for the next season or two)...and see what you like.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! You''ve reminded me that I''ve a pal at Bergdrof''s with impeccable taste.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2007 11:43:31 PM
Author:thing2of2
And I have tons of necklaces, too. (Mostly sterling silver and gold, I don''t have any gemstone necklaces.) Okay, so I guess I just said I was obsessed with almost everything a person can wear...
thing20f2 this basicly sums me up. I love fashion and I too am obsessed with things people wear, smell of or put on their face. I love being a woman and love the excuses we girls have for getting such great stuff. But if I was a man would probably be just as interested in how I looked. MY father was like this and I know that my teenage son whilst not obsessed is beginning to show an interest in how he looks too.
My obsession is fuelled by my teenage daughter just as it was fuelled by my own mother. Fortunately my daughter is very interested in fashion and has not succumbed to any of the out there looks that some of her friends have done (THANK GOD). We are the same shoe size (thats all unfortnately or not
9.gif
) and I would never let her borrow the more expensive shoes now. But certainly when I am buying handbags, jewellery or acessories like scarfs I am mindful that these will be her ''pieces ''one day and so I tend to outlay the bigger bucks for these things knowin that someone or other is goiing to love these things for a long time.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,
What do you think of Vera Wang''s Lavender label?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stuff I have seen is okay. To me, the styles I have seen, as more young and bridesmaidish or prom ish to me. Lavender is her bridge line, a lower priced line, and that is totally fine, as long as the style is right. I have seen a couple of lovely short dresses, but they might not be suited for women in their 30''s and 40''s...just my opinion though. I have glanced at her stuff in a couple of local stores here, and while I did admire the overall look for the pricepoint, I think she is not catering to me.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
No! I''m really practical about clothes. I used to love to dress and had shoes for every outfit, etc., but I don''t "meet the public" in a job anymore. I don''t have the money to buy clothes the way I used to. My friends are not fashion forward anymore either, but several of us kinda like the bling a ling! I am trying to dress a little sharper these days, though.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the way a great outfit makes me feel. I hate shopping for a great outfit.

So sweats it is.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 1:15:51 AM
Author: TravelingGal
I love the way a great outfit makes me feel. I hate shopping for a great outfit.
I read in US weekly or something recently where Jenny McCarthy was saying she cannot put an outfit together to save her life, so she shops religiously on net-a-porter.com where I guess they put together entire outfits to show what it will look like and she just clicks to buy the entire thing. She always looks pretty darn good in the photos so I guess it works. haha.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 1:18:13 AM
Author: Mara

Date: 3/20/2007 1:15:51 AM
Author: TravelingGal
I read in US weekly or something recently where Jenny McCarthy was saying she cannot put an outfit together to save her life, so she shops religiously on net-a-porter.com where I guess they put together entire outfits to show what it will look like and she just clicks to buy the entire thing. She always looks pretty darn good in the photos so I guess it works. haha.
OK, so I did a quick look at the site and didn''t see such an easy feature. If I knew the cut of the item would look good on me, I''d shop like that for sure. But what I hate more than shopping is going to the post office, so returns would be out of the question!

I live in reef flip flops...me and fantastically fashionable just don''t mix. But I appreciate those who are well put together...it''s an art!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am really into my jewelry and diamonds but since I have lost some weight (35lbs) I have really gotten into my clothes and shoes now. I am truly a shoe ho as we say here. I can''t resist a cute pair of sandals and I am always getting compliments on my clothes so it''s all good.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I''m a total clothes fanatic and absolutely cannot afford what I love. Oh well...

My price range allows me to get about one GOOD (citizens, paige, etc) pair of jeans per year, and a few outfits from the Savvy/TBD department at Nordstrom. I peruse Nordstrom Rack a lot & have picked up a lot of tops by Weston Wear, Sweet Pea, Juicy, Danang, etc...for dirt cheap. I hit BCBG for dresses & dressier items.

I have a few investment pieces : Vestimenta suit, Burberry black wool riding jacket, Donna Karan silk bohemian shirt (actually its quite timeless...very subtle, can''t wait to wear it again) from Saks...

As for shoes, my taste was definitely better when I was working, but as a SAHM, I find high pumps and stiletto heels a rarity these days. I''m not a fan of flats (can''t do the ballet slipper thing, I''m too booty-ful, I need SOME height in a heel) so I''ve had a hard time finding some fun wedges, sandals, casual shoes that are comfortable but don''t look sensible---I hate wearing sensible looking shoes. I seem to live in my Michele K casual sneaks, or Adidas running shoes, or jeweled/beaded flipflops. But my shoe budget has gone from $250/pair down to about $40 - $70 a pair now that I don''t work. Again, I love Nordstrom Rack. Cole Haan''s for $90? wooowooo.

My best friend is quite wealthy, and she''s always wearing the lastest and greatest. Her Jimmy Choo collection makes me weep. LOL. I''m still sad about the pair of black Manolo Blahnik slingback kitten heeled pumps with little metal grommets on them that I passed up.....ON SALE....at Barneys in Beverly Hills. I was visiting her (I''m in Oregon) and decided to pass since I had just left my job to be a momma. They were only $225!!!!!!!!!!!! and in my size!!! aaaaaaaaaaaagh.
That was 3 years ago and I''m still not over it. Oh well...

I''m pregnant again & unfortunately I didn''t lose all the babyweight from kiddie #1, so some of my maternity wear from last time isn''t fitting me. (I was a 4 before, an 8 this time around--sheesh). So I did go to Mimi Maternity today & dropped $280 on 4 shirts and a black yoga top. But I swear, I needed some *nice* shirts to wear, I''m having such a hard time feeling good about myself in my Target Maternity clothes (doesn''t hang right) that I figured I''d treat myself once or twice to a few nice tops so I can at least look nice when my husband & I go out (which is quite often). But I''m ebaying all my old maternity wear to pay for the new stuff, so while not quite a wash, at least its something.

I did make a promise to myself before I got pregnant this time that I would STOP spending about $75 a month at Old Navy on things that I just toss in the GoodWill bin in 6 months. The only things from ON that I ever wear consistently are their sleep bottoms & camis. That''s just wasted $$ and two or three months of avoiding impulse buying will free up more $$ for some nicer clothes.

I''d rather have FEWER nice items, than a closet full of OK things that I don''t love. But I got in that bad habit after baby #1, when the weight didn''t come off fast, I decided that I''d just buy things at Old Navy to hold me over until I was back down to my fighting weight.

But I obsess about clothes, and it makes me so mad to look at my old wardrobe (pre-babies!) and know its gonna be one helluva battle getting back into it! Oh well, that''s why God made Weight Watchers and my treadmill.

I revived my motto, I have to LOOVVEE an item (clothes shoes), it has to fit me superbly, and it has to be made well or I WILL NOT BUY.

Now for my kid? 1 special occasion outfit a season from either Gymboree or Janie & Jack, and the rest is all Target & Old Navy. I was spending $400 every 3 months on "outfits" for him and he wasn''t even wearing all of them, and now that he''s two all he cares about is getting everything covered in dirt. Boys.

So yes...clothes are more of an obsession for me, because its easier to buy a top than it is to buy a diamond. Which is why I''m trying to stop clothes shopping so much. If I can make do with less (and less laundry) then I can have more things that sparkle.....

Jeannine

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2007 8:27:24 PM
Author: divergrrl

pumps with little metal grommets on them that I passed up.....ON SALE....at Barneys in Beverly Hills. I was visiting her (I''m in Oregon) and decided to pass since I had just left my job to be a momma. They were only $225!!!!!!!!!!!! and in my size!!! aaaaaaaaaaaagh. That was 3 years ago and I''m still not over it. Oh well...
HI:

Oh the items I''ve passed over; but that Jill Sander leather jacket and Etro tweed trenchcoat, and that perfect Dolce black suit (yes, another), and those two pair of Manolo''s in Orlando and cream pair of Dior mules in Palm Springs......I gotta stop as I am tearing up..
2.gif
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to love clothes shopping, but not so much anymore. Have so many clothes, that I love so like adding here and there. Summer clothes are my fave!!! And am a huge fan of cashmere sweaters. But not really a shoe person, but I do love my handbags.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which are your favourite handbag brands?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet-
About VW lavender label- from my friend who worked at VW- the lavender label is her "bridge line" in the sense that it''s not as high priced as her RTW line. Also it is almost an offshoot of her bridemaids gowns- but it''s better made than her bridesmaids stuff and now they are doing more than just dresses.
I hit the RTW/lavender label sample sale and got one lav. label dress and one RTW sample dress- both are v. well made. I also bought several dresses thru my friend and so far only one has come in- it''s nice- but it''s not 100% silk (60 silk/40 rayon)- I don''t mind because I didn''t pay full price for it and it''s v. cute- but I am picky about fabrics.

I take it you like more "tailored" dresses - or do you like the silky/flowy/slinky style?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re so lucky to be able to fit into a sample size! I don''t have a particular dress penchant, but my style is generally classic rather than trendy. I got shooed off the 6th floof of Bergdorf''s because they thought I was too young to be shopping there!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 8:52:21 PM
Which are your favourite handbag brands?

I will answer also~

I love most high end brands, but do get tired of some things. I HATE that LV 38,000.00 bag, it is so ugly I cannot wait to see who buys that, though if a celeb carries it it will be likely free to them for the publivity.

I love Hermes, Chanel, Dior, Prada, Tods and Valentino and Balenciaga. I like some Bottega and Gucci. For dressy I like some of the Leiber bags, just not the cutesy ones. Lana Marks has some nice skin bags as does Nancy Gonzales. I really love metallics lately, love wearing a muted gold bag and sandal with a neutral, for example. Just makes things fresher. For a bit less money, I love Botkier and Miu Miu.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
What does that LV look like? I have to say I don''t buy LV anymore. Btw, have you seen my recent acquisitions? They''re on my FM thread. I''d love a Kelly.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 10:28:34 PM
You''re so lucky to be able to fit into a sample size! I don''t have a particular dress penchant, but my style is generally classic rather than trendy. I got shooed off the 6th floof of Bergdorf''s because they thought I was too young to be shopping there!

That is completely moronic on their behalf...
As far as samples go, I have been lucky- my wedding dress was a sample too!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah, I look like a college kid (though I wasn't dressed like one).

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
They should check out your hardware though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results