shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you know what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received one of these as a wedding gift and, at the time, had no idea what it was!

AGBF
34.gif

doyouknowwhatthisis.jpg

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 7:10:20 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
8/18/2009 6:37:51 PM
Author: Harleigh

I just thought of two my grandma used all the time that I know what they are and never quite got:

Breezeway

Davenport

Anyone care to venture a guess?
Breezeway-area between house and garage

Davenport-sofa

AGBF
34.gif
You''re good, AGBF! Still can''t figure out why a sofa/couch is a davenport, though!

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 11:54:23 AM

I received one of these as a wedding gift and, at the time, had no idea what it was!

AGBF
34.gif
What is it???

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 6:07:32 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Date: 8/17/2009 3:02:58 PM

Author: gwendolyn

Date: 8/17/2009 2:53:38 PM

Author: TravelingGal

Nope, have no idea om that one!

It''s also food, but not a single ingredient (in case you want to hazard a guess
2.gif
).

For anyone up for guessing, here are a few non-food items which you may be more familiar with:

boot

bonnet

pavements

torch

a flannel

Aaaaaaannnnnd, I lived in London and hung out with car people almost exclusively in my spare time.
9.gif
Hahaha, nice!
9.gif
Then I offer you the same challenge one that I gave TGal--what''s "pieces?" (Scottish)
27.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/19/2009 12:26:23 PM
Author: kiett98

Date:
8/19/2009 11:54:23 AM

What is it???

C'mon! I'm supposed to tell you already? Do I have no takers?

AGBF
34.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Water fountain???

K, I replied before I read to see if I was right. Lives in Madison for a year and Northern Ill now.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 11:54:23 AM

AGBF
34.gif
Oh come on... every guy knows that''s Maybelline''s new Espresso Roast blush.
32.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect that this photo may come out very, very small, but I hope that it can be seen. It is another view of one of the things I posted above. I understand that the first photo looked like espresso colored blush :).

AGBF
34.gif

AnotherViewOfOne.jpg

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
A chrome plated wheel! I hope you got a set of 4 and not just one! Those will look great on your vehicle!

No, that's a crazy gift. It's the new Calphalon stainless steel rigatoni strainer!

Ok... seriously...really... it looks like a kitchen sink drain.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I''m from Indiana and have heard of davenport and sweeper, and I used the term ''breezeway'' when I had one.

We just moved to central PA and have noticed a few funny words. All of my FI''s coworkers say "slippy" instead of "slippery". A gummy band is a rubber band. I''ve heard "cut off the light" instead of "turn off the light" (this can also be used for tv, radio, car, etc). I''m also just blown away by how every restaurant automatically puts french fries on my salads! Its so interesting! We move to Kentucky in a year, so I''m excited to find other regional differences there too!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 11:45:45 PM

I suspect that this photo may come out very, very small, but I hope that it can be seen. It is another view of one of the things I posted above. I understand that the first photo looked like espresso colored blush :).

AGBF
34.gif
Candleholder???

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 10:03:55 AM
Author: treefrog
A chrome plated wheel! I hope you got a set of 4 and not just one! Those will look great on your vehicle!

No, that''s a crazy gift. It''s the new Calphalon stainless steel rigatoni strainer!

Ok... seriously...really... it looks like a kitchen sink drain.
Here... I found an exact replica. It''s the Insinkerator flange for a kitchen sink garbage disposer!
9.gif

flange1_AGBF.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...more detail on the item I got as a wedding gift. It was sterling silver. The bottom inside was brown and may have been made of wood. (It wasn't made of espresso colored blush.) The bottom was covered with green felt. When I wrote my thank you note I was very careful in my wording. I am sure someone posting here knows what this is! (I know what these are now!) Another clue: these are used on dinner tables!

AGBF
34.gif

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 12:55:26 PM

OK...more detail on the item I got as a wedding gift. It was sterling silver. The bottom inside was brown and may have been made of wood. (It wasn''t made of espresso colored blush.) The bottom was covered with green felt. When I wrote my thank you note I was very careful in my wording. I am sure someone posting here knows what this is! (I know what these are now!) Another clue: these are used on dinner tables!

AGBF
34.gif
So "Thank you so much for the beautiful silver hubcap." wouldn''t have been appropriate?
7.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 1:08:45 PM

OK...more detail on the item I got as a wedding gift. It was sterling silver. The bottom inside was brown and may have been made of wood. (It wasn''t made of espresso colored blush.) The bottom was covered with green felt. When I wrote my thank you note I was very careful in my wording. I am sure someone posting here knows what this is! (I know what these are now!) Another clue: these are used on dinner tables!

AGBF
34.gif
So ''Thank you so much for the beautiful silver hubcap.'' wouldn''t have been appropriate?
7.gif
I dunno....I would have been cool with that.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
You mean to tell me every WI girl doesn''t have a set of these?
33.gif

This really makes me think there have been some very interesting Thank You''s sent out over the years!

Why would anybody glue felt to the bottom of a garbage disposal flange and put it on the dining room table? Ooh... unless there is plumbing connected to the table! That could be kind of convenient. You could clean up from dinner without even leaving your seat!
9.gif

Treefrog

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are the older ladies? The ones who are just a decade younger than me, that is? They have surely set tables for dinners many times! ;-)

AGBF
34.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 2:22:25 PM
You mean to tell me every WI girl doesn''t have a set of these?
33.gif

This really makes me think there have been some very interesting Thank You''s sent out over the years!

Why would anybody glue felt to the bottom of a garbage disposal flange and put it on the dining room table? Ooh... unless there is plumbing connected to the table! That could be kind of convenient. You could clean up from dinner without even leaving your seat!
9.gif

Treefrog
Oh, I have all kinds of crazy stuff around my house that I don''t know what its used for.......a stove......a mixer......all them utensils and measuring thingies that look pretty in a drawer.
28.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock

AGBF

34.gif

Is it a salt cellar? I don''t own one, nor have I ever used one, but I have a vague idea what they are!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
And as for the original question, I remember using the words bubbler and water fountain interchangeably in school, in Massachusetts. I''ve heard of a breezeway and a davenport, but here''s another one: my grandmother had an ugly vinyl couch that she called a "divan" pronounced DIE-VAN. Where the heck does THAT come from? And if you want to talk about a state with bizarre colloquial terms, Mass is a real winnah...

frappe
wicked
rotary
bang a u-ie (u-turn)
packie
Hoodsie Cup

LGK

Ideal_Rock
My husband''s family was from East LA and salsa is "sarsa" to them. I have no clue if it''s really something regional or just a family weirdness.

My family was all from Kansas and a lot of them say I live in Warshington, not Washington. And crick is also used in Kansas too.

Pop is soda in the Northwest pretty often.

I''ve heard clicker for remote quite a bit, my dad called it that. Could be a Kansas-ism or not.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/20/2009 3:44:48 PM
Author: Selkie

Is it a salt cellar? I don't own one, nor have I ever used one, but I have a vague idea what they are!
No, it is not a salt cellar. I realize that you cannot tell the size from the picture. The item I posted is larger than a salt celler, though. These are salt cellars (pictured below). I did receive a pair of these (in cobalt blue) from a former roomate for my wedding, too. She remembered that I had envied hers and kindly gave me some when I got married! (We had been roomates when she was between marriages but I was a young graduate student of 22 who had never been married.)

I am really starting to feel very, very old!!!

PS-Salt cellars usually come with tiny shovels!

AGBF
34.gif

cobaltbluesaltcellars.jpg

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Is it a wine coaster?

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 3:55:04 PM
Author: Selkie
And as for the original question, I remember using the words bubbler and water fountain interchangeably in school, in Massachusetts. I''ve heard of a breezeway and a davenport, but here''s another one: my grandmother had an ugly vinyl couch that she called a ''divan'' pronounced DIE-VAN. Where the heck does THAT come from? And if you want to talk about a state with bizarre colloquial terms, Mass is a real winnah...

frappe
wicked
rotary
bang a u-ie (u-turn)
packie
Hoodsie Cup
Selkie,

Divan is french for couch or sofa. If my very rusty french is correct, it is pronounced deevahn, without really pronouncing the n at the end.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a wine coaster and I got 3 for my wedding 23 years ago!
In Australia we call water fountains bublers too.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/20/2009 2:46:56 PM
Author: joflier

Oh, I have all kinds of crazy stuff around my house that I don''t know what its used for.......a stove......a mixer......all them utensils and measuring thingies that look pretty in a drawer.
28.gif
23.gif
I should report you to the kitchen police! I used to share a house with a guy and his girlfriend. She went away one weekend and he was so lost. He wanted to boil water to make soup... and didn''t know if he needed to grease the pot, what temp to set the stove to, how long to cook it. Tell me you have an edge on him...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/20/2009 11:25:33 PM
Author: Anastasia

Is it a wine coaster?
Indeed. Katebar also identified it just below your posting. I thank you two ladies. I was starting to feel hopelessly out of date!

AGBF
34.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here in Chicago we say/have:
- Fronchrooms (front rooms)
- Grages and Garachkes (garages and garage keys)
- Parkways (although my family calls it the devil''s strip, no idea where that came from)
- Orphaned prepositions (e.g. "I''m going out, wanna come with?")
- And of course, when we say "the city" we''re are talking about THE city, and "the lake" is Lake Michigan

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha, I like this thread! I didn''t know what a bubbler was...

My husband is from Kentucky and he says "I''m going to the grocery" instead of "grocery store," which I think is cute. He''s the first person I''ve ever heard not add "store" to the end of "grocery!"

One weird pronunciation that I really dislike is when people pronounce "wash" as "warsh." HATE IT SO MUCH! And I have no idea why. I also prefer "coupon" pronounced as "coo-pon" and not "q-pon." And "syrup" is "sear-up," NOT "surr-up!"

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought of some more!

We say "gym shoes" instead of "tennis shoes" or "sneakers." The first time I heard someone say "tennis shoes" I thought they were talking about sport-specific footwear, and I had no idea what sneakers were.

I say "jimmies" and DH says "sprinkles" even though were both from Chicago.
I also say "couch" and he says "sofa." No clue if either is regional, but DH''s family is in the furniture business, so his version is probably more popular around here.
I also say "soda" and he says "pop."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results