shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you know what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
The thread about the incorrect words/phrases got me thinking.

I''m just curious about this one. Its a word known and used all the time in Wisconsin, but people anywhere else give you a strange look when used in a sentence. What would you say to me if I asked you where I could find a bubbler? Anyone - non Wisconsin, know what that is?

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
No clue.

Haha, but I''m curious now!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
water fountain

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I only know that because a former boss of mine was from da U.P. (Upper Peninsula)

Shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that's what I've always called the water fountain....I don't know why I ended up calling it that, I have lived here on the East Coast all my life....DH and almost everyone around me calls it a fountain - so I can't really confirm if it's a regional thing or just me.

I do know that around here we call those chocolate ice cream sprinkles "jimmies"

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I live within driving distance of WI and I''ve NEVER heard of a "bubbler."

I never heard of a "clicker" until I moved to IL. (which btw is a remote control)

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I never heard of a clicker, either. Sometimes, I make it a point to ask people where I can find a bubbler, just because its funny to watch their confusion.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
A bubbler... you mean the toys that you fill with soapy stuff and they fill the area with bubbles?

Or the diver/shipwreck/treasure chest in an aquarium thet makes air bubbles?

Short of that, you''d get a funny look around here!

Treefrog

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
A flatulent swimmer?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably say a whale or sea lion.

What? I''m wrong? Shocking
25.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I KNOW but I am from WI so that is not fair. My 89 year old grandma asked for one the other day.
2.gif

DH throw me one though. He mentioned a musk mellon (sp?) I had never heard of that before. It is from Ohio.

ETA: another one (from Ohio) is buggy for a shopping cart. I had never heard that before. Or a sweeper for a vacuum.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In California, a bubbler is a type water pipe...ahem.

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 12:50:28 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I KNOW but I am from WI so that is not fair. My 89 year old grandma asked for one the other day.
2.gif

DH throw me one though. He mentioned a musk mellon (sp?) I had never heard of that before. It is from Ohio.

ETA: another one (from Ohio) is buggy for a shopping cart. I had never heard that before. Or a sweeper for a vacuum.
A bubbler is a drinking fountain... I can't remember where I learned that though. I've never used the term.

Also, as far as the Ohio ones go, I grew up in Ohio and never heard musk mellon or buggy! Sweeper, yes, but not often.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha i don''t know how i knew that it was a water fountain. but, we work daily with an external vendor from MN and i love listening to them say things then i am like WHAT WHAT WHAT???

i had an ex from MA and he used to say things like pocketbook for purse and dungarees for jeans and pop for soda or coke.

i love regional dialects--so fun.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
When we moved from Canada, we used to confuse servers all the time asking for cutlery and serviettes.
3.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
A bubbler... is that a water fountain for drinking....?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Just so you know, "muskmelon" is one word, and it means "cantaloupe." It''s used TOO often in IL. (mostly by the older generation)

Another dialectal variation: "mushrat" instead of "muskrat." And, if you see "marsh rabbit" on a menu, you can be sure that you''re eating "mushrat!"

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 12:51:34 PM
Author: House Cat
In California, a bubbler is a type water pipe...ahem.
Yeah, that was my first thought, too. Then I remembered somebody telling me ages ago that it was a water fountain.

But yeah, my eyebrows shot up when I read this. It means the same thing in VA that it means in CA, apparently. That, or it means people I knew in college would fit in pretty well in CA...

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard of muskmelon. Not sweeper or buggy, though.

How about stop n go lights? I use that one quite frequently in place of traffic lights/signals.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I knew that a bubbler was a drinking fountain, but I thought it was an old-fashioned word that I picked up somewhere, like learning about segregation in American history. But I didn''t know it was still used anywhere.
1.gif

This is international rather than locational within the US, but there are a few things called different names here in the UK than things at home that I didn''t know before I lived here.

Here are a few, in case anyone wants to hazard a guess. They''re all types of food:

courgettes
aubergines
rocket
satsumas

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 2:23:23 PM
Author: gwendolyn
I knew that a bubbler was a drinking fountain, but I thought it was an old-fashioned word that I picked up somewhere, like learning about segregation in American history. But I didn''t know it was still used anywhere.
1.gif

This is international rather than locational within the US, but there are a few things called different names here in the UK than things at home that I didn''t know before I lived here.

Here are a few, in case anyone wants to hazard a guess. They''re all types of food:

courgettes
aubergines
rocket
satsumas
I won''t guess since I have an advantage being married for TGuy, but let''s just say in the beginning, there was a lot of ->
33.gif
when he made up shopping lists for me.

And don''t forget capsicum and spanish onion.
2.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
grew up in northern Illinois, worked in Wisconsin. knew each of these.

this thread made me feel very "in the loop"!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 2:30:04 PM
Author: TravelingGal

1.gif

courgettes

aubergines

rocket

satsumas

I won''t guess since I have an advantage being married for TGuy, but let''s just say in the beginning, there was a lot of ->
33.gif

2.gif
Oh yeah, good ones! Do you know ''pieces''? That''s not throughout the UK, though--that''s Scotland (or at least Glasgow).
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 2:46:08 PM

1.gif

courgettes

aubergines

rocket

satsumas

33.gif

2.gif
Oh yeah, good ones! Do you know ''pieces''? That''s not throughout the UK, though--that''s Scotland (or at least Glasgow).
9.gif
Nope, have no idea om that one!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Some of the English words are confusing

Sweaters are Jumpers
Sneakers are Trainers
Pants are Underwear
Pram is Stroller
French Fries are Chips...

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
I know it, but that''s because I had a roommate from WI one year in summer school.

I use clicker, but mainly for the car or garage door remotes, not the TV.

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 12:10:19 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Wow, I live within driving distance of WI and I''ve NEVER heard of a ''bubbler.''

I never heard of a ''clicker'' until I moved to IL. (which btw is a remote control)
Growing up, my dad always called the remote the "tuner changer" and I could never figure out why he wanted to change the tuna?!?!?! I have never heard anyone else use that word for the remote.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 2:03:41 PM
Author: joflier
I''ve heard of muskmelon. Not sweeper or buggy, though.

How about stop n go lights? I use that one quite frequently in place of traffic lights/signals.
Must be a lot of people from WI living in MD. They stop n go around here. Sometimes they just go. Often when it turns red, they still keep going.

At a stop sign, I can stop n go but at a traffic signal, I have to either stop or go.
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2009 2:53:38 PM
Date: 8/17/2009 2:46:08 PM

1.gif

courgettes

aubergines

rocket

satsumas

33.gif

2.gif

9.gif
Nope, have no idea om that one!
It''s also food, but not a single ingredient (in case you want to hazard a guess
2.gif
).

For anyone up for guessing, here are a few non-food items which you may be more familiar with:

boot
bonnet
pavements
torch
a flannel

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
Water fountain. People in rhode island called it a bubbler as well. I''m from CT, and went to college in RI. People kept talking about needing to use the bubblers, I thought everyone was just really liberal with their bong usage lol.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results