shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you do anything that might be considered "unconventional" ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Besides our bling obsession that is.:whistle::lol:

What might be considered odd by some people is that I use Parasols when it is sunny out and I don't want to wear sunblock or I want to keep the shade with me on very warm days. I did this before it became more "popular" to use parasols. Not that it's popular now haha but it certainly is not as unusual as it was decades ago when I first started using a parasol here in NYC. In difference cultures it is mainstream but it isn't here and it got me wondering...

Do you do anything off the mainstream that could be considered unconventional or unusual or just different?

Here is my latest Parasol purchase just yesterday afternoon. I wasn't planning on making a turquoise parasol purchase because if I realized I was going to I sure wouldn't have worn red and pink and burgundy that day:oops2:.

missyandparasol.jpg

So do you do anything that might be considered unconventional and if so please share it with us.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant think of anything I do that is really all that unconventional but I love the using a parasol idea! I live in Florida and dont understand why people
dont do this more often. I do occasionally see some folks from other cultures using them and I always think "how smart are they?" Its a habit I
wish would get started down here.

Question...now are these parasols for sun only or are they umbrellas that can be used for sun or rain?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant think of anything I do that is really all that unconventional but I love the using a parasol idea! I live in Florida and dont understand why people
dont do this more often. I do occasionally see some folks from other cultures using them and I always think "how smart are they?" Its a habit I
wish would get started down here.

Question...now are these parasols for sun only or are they umbrellas that can be used for sun or rain?

Hi tyty, these are true parasols in that they have a UV protection. Most of my parasols are from Solumbra but I have a few from speciality shoppes that I’ve found over the years. It may not surprise you to find out I have many of these because when I like something I tend to collect them.

They are very good at keeping you cooler and protecting you from the sun. What I don’t get are the women who use black umbrellas as protection from the sun. The black color absorbs the heat and those umbrellas don’t have a UV coating. Though they offer some UV protection by virtue that it is something between you and the sun. But I only use specialty UV protection umbrellas aka parasols.

But yes you can use them to protect you from the rain too. I generally don’t as I want to keep them in the best condition possible but like I wrote above I’m tempted with this latest purchase. It’s the perfect rain umbrella color. To brighten up a dreary dark rainy day.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy...I would probably have to order one on-line or maybe look in specialty shops to actually find one around here. I did look on
amazon. They had quite a few but they were a little too fancy for my taste. They do have this one though...might work for me in a lighter color
or a lighter pattern.
https://www.amazon.com/NOOFORMER-mi...&qid=1521990317&sr=8-16&keywords=parasol&th=1

Sorry for the mini-tread-jack...I just find it an interesting subject considering where I live!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333 Please don’t apologize. I enjoy sharing info about this. It’s a great alternative way to protect oneself from harmful UV rays. Definitely a worthwhile discussion.

Here’s a few good parasols I own. Tried and true.

https://www.coolibar.com/48-inch-ti...MI_Jra8uKH2gIVlVmGCh0sZA3SEAQYASABEgLnqPD_BwE

http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/33000

http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/33200

http://www.summithut.com/titanium-t...MIsOjPouOH2gIVCmSGCh0mLQp2EAQYByABEgImmfD_BwE

And my latest purchase from yesterday. Got it locally but found it online just now for you in case you’re interested. Prettiest one so far imo.

http://leightonumbrellas.com/product/kyoto/

I checked out your amazon link and it seems a good percentage of people weren’t happy with the quality of that one. Just FYI. I’m very pleased with the Coolibar and Solumbra parasols I own. And the one I just got yesterday seems sturdy but time will tell.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As usual you look wonderful, happy and it's a beautiful day!

When I worked at IBM I always ensured I wore something a bit out of the ordinary, while I thrived there management often was mundane and uninspiring (except of course when I managed ;-) ) I would wear colors that didn't match .... so this was just keeping who I was... I still do it but i'm lazier now than ever.

I think using a parasol is a great idea to keep one's skin free of UV rays and aging.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the links Missy...I didnt even look at the ratings on that one...I like that yellow Solumbra one you posted but I do tend to like more of the
travel size so I can cram them into my purse. I'll have to look around on that site.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As usual you look wonderful, happy and it's a beautiful day!

When I worked at IBM I always ensured I wore something a bit out of the ordinary, while I thrived there management often was mundane and uninspiring (except of course when I managed ;-) ) I would wear colors that didn't match .... so this was just keeping who I was... I still do it but i'm lazier now than ever.

I think using a parasol is a great idea to keep one's skin free of UV rays and aging.

Thank you Kate! And I love that you wore/wear unconventional colors together. There’s something beautiful in just mixing colors freely. And marching to the best of your own proverbial drummer. Goodness knows I’ve had/have my fair share of stares re the parasol.

Fiddle Dee Dee I say to anyone who doesn’t approve of our individuality. Don’t stifle our creativity.

937F4756-976C-4D20-95B7-351CA5C2B397.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the links Missy...I didnt even look at the ratings on that one...I like that yellow Solumbra one you posted but I do tend to like more of the
travel size so I can cram them into my purse. I'll have to look around on that site.

You’re welcome!
I shared a travel parasol link in the above post to you. I have a travel one too that just fits in my bag.

Here it is.
http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/33200

Hope you find one that works well for you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wear shorts inside and outside year round, even when its below 0.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the parasol idea. I wear large hats in the sun, and my DH bought a canopy for me, when we go anywhere where there is little to no shade. I have basal cell carcinoma, and my chances of developing malenoma increased 40%.
I live an unconventional lifestyle most find unusual. I don’t drive. I walk everywhere, or take public transportation. My children have learned this way of life. The majority of people have driver’s licenses, and own, at minimum, 2 vehicles. My DH drives, so, when we go on far away trips, we travel with him. I will soon change my lifestyle, and get my driver’s license. My son is going away to college, and will be playing NCAA Lacrosse. I don’t want to miss any of his games, and my DH works some crazy hours; I cannot rely on him to drive. Locally, I believe I’ll still walk or take public transportation. It helps me stay fit, and healthy. ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the parasol idea. I wear large hats in the sun, and my DH bought a canopy for me, when we go anywhere where there is little to no shade. I have basal cell carcinoma, and my chances of developing malenoma increased 40%.
I live an unconventional lifestyle most find unusual. I don’t drive. I walk everywhere, or take public transportation. My children have learned this way of life. The majority of people have driver’s licenses, and own, at minimum, 2 vehicles. My DH drives, so, when we go on far away trips, we travel with him. I will soon change my lifestyle, and get my driver’s license. My son is going away to college, and will be playing NCAA Lacrosse. I don’t want to miss any of his games, and my DH works some crazy hours; I cannot rely on him to drive. Locally, I believe I’ll still walk or take public transportation. It helps me stay fit, and healthy. ;)2

Oh I get that. I much prefer walking or cycling to driving or public transportation. And you’re right. It keeps is fit vs if we drove everywhere.
Good luck with getting your driver’s license and congratulations on your son’s college acceptance and on playing NCAA Lacrosse. Impressive. :appl:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a mother and have a really nice girly home but am a punk rocker and still attend hall shows well into my 30s! I really enjoy it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Kate! And I love that you wore/wear unconventional colors together. There’s something beautiful in just mixing colors freely. And marching to the best of your own proverbial drummer. Goodness knows I’ve had/have my fair share of stares re the parasol.

Fiddle Dee Dee I say to anyone who doesn’t approve of our individuality. Don’t stifle our creativity.

937F4756-976C-4D20-95B7-351CA5C2B397.jpeg
Here is Scarlet visiting the lumber mill with a nice parasol! All matchy-matchy!
e032af9bd5408f8c38ba67bf7d8fd5d9.jpg

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I get that. I much prefer walking or cycling to driving or public transportation. And you’re right. It keeps is fit vs if we drove everywhere.
Good luck with getting your driver’s license and congratulations on your son’s college acceptance and on playing NCAA Lacrosse. Impressive. :appl:

Thank you so much!! We’re all very proud of him. He got a very nice academic scholarship to top off the sundae with a cherry...lol! He’s still applying for more scholarships, and working on financial aid for the rest. He’s an amazing young man, and I’m very lucky to be his mother.
For the first 13 years of his life, I raised him on my own, so this is extraordinarily remarkable for me to experience with him. I’m so excited for him. He has “earned” the ring I created for him...for his future wife. “Nancy” is his for the taking. :mrgreen2:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 you, YOU are an excellent mom, nothing is worth much in life except love. really.. (((Matthews)))

kate

Thank you so much!! We’re all very proud of him. He got a very nice academic scholarship to top off the sundae with a cherry...lol! He’s still applying for more scholarships, and working on financial aid for the rest. He’s an amazing young man, and I’m very lucky to be his mother.
For the first 13 years of his life, I raised him on my own, so this is extraordinarily remarkable for me to experience with him. I’m so excited for him. He has “earned” the ring I created for him...for his future wife. “Nancy” is his for the taking. :mrgreen2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations to your DS! My DD played basketball in the NCAA and watching her play in those games are some of my fondest memories!! I was so sad when it ended at graduation. And she made some life-long friends and it really helped her enjoy her college years!
Enjoy!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I make the majority of my own clothes, and I use vintage sewing machines to do so. I don't know many IRL that do this. I love doing this! For me its a hobby that is practical and allows me to have some neat items. Originally, I did so to make a few items for nursing when my eldest was a baby, she's 16 now. Its always been challenging to find pants that fit, it got worse when I started teaching as I needed dressy pants. Trying to find those, in my size, not low rise, with pockets, under $50 was near impossible. The final straw was when I could no longer find the one brand that fit, as they changed their styling. I spent the ENTIRE summer trying to figure out pants, almost gave up, spent a crazy amount of money on fabric and patterns, and FINALLY figured it out. I haven't gone back! There are only a few items I don't (yet) make: Socks (I've tried a few patterns, trying to figure those out), and bras (scared of those :roll:lol: ).

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy you look fabulous! The colors might not match, but they definitely compliment each other! And did I zoom in to check out your bling? OF COURSE I DID!!! :love:

My unconventional thing is my insane nail polish collection. I have over 1,500 bottles. (No, that’s not a typo.) Most are indie brands. :))

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I avoid social situations like the plague. I really dislike large gatherings.

@missy I love your parasol! Good on you for taking care your skin while being utterly adorable while doing so. :clap:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy you look fabulous! The colors might not match, but they definitely compliment each other! And did I zoom in to check out your bling? OF COURSE I DID!!! :love:

My unconventional thing is my insane nail polish collection. I have over 1,500 bottles. (No, that’s not a typo.) Most are indie brands. :))

Thank you @Irishgrrrl. And I bet your nail polish is beautiful. Wow to over 1500 bottles of polish. I love nail polish on other people. It makes you look so sophisticated and cool. I wish I could wear it but anything I try makes my nails turn yellow. Even with a base coat.

Haha yes I would zoom in on the bling too. Sorry it wasn't a good bling pic though. I did a better match today (blue sunglasses, blue suede boots, blue jacket, blue dress and blue leggings but all different shades so not too matchy matchy) and since there was a chance of rain in the forecast I took the opportunity to take my new parasol out with us for our walk. I am wearing blue opal earrings but I don't think it showed up in the pic and sorry my gloves are on today. It is a much chillier day than yesterday.

missyandblueparasol.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make the majority of my own clothes, and I use vintage sewing machines to do so. I don't know many IRL that do this. I love doing this! For me its a hobby that is practical and allows me to have some neat items. Originally, I did so to make a few items for nursing when my eldest was a baby, she's 16 now. Its always been challenging to find pants that fit, it got worse when I started teaching as I needed dressy pants. Trying to find those, in my size, not low rise, with pockets, under $50 was near impossible. The final straw was when I could no longer find the one brand that fit, as they changed their styling. I spent the ENTIRE summer trying to figure out pants, almost gave up, spent a crazy amount of money on fabric and patterns, and FINALLY figured it out. I haven't gone back! There are only a few items I don't (yet) make: Socks (I've tried a few patterns, trying to figure those out), and bras (scared of those :roll:lol: ).

I love the clothes you made that you shared with us. You are very talented and I say go for it. Make the socks and bras. If anyone can do it you can. And please share pics with us. Love what you have made.:appl:

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Irishgrrrl. And I bet your nail polish is beautiful. Wow to over 1500 bottles of polish. I love nail polish on other people. It makes you look so sophisticated and cool. I wish I could wear it but anything I try makes my nails turn yellow. Even with a base coat.

Haha yes I would zoom in on the bling too. Sorry it wasn't a good bling pic though. I did a better match today (blue sunglasses, blue suede boots, blue jacket, blue dress and blue leggings but all different shades so not too matchy matchy) and since there was a chance of rain in the forecast I took the opportunity to take my new parasol out with us for our walk. I am wearing blue opal earrings but I don't think it showed up in the pic and sorry my gloves are on today. It is a much chillier day than yesterday.

missyandblueparasol.jpeg

I love all the blue! :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I avoid social situations like the plague. I really dislike large gatherings.

@missy I love your parasol! Good on you for taking care your skin while being utterly adorable while doing so. :clap:

Thanks @Irishgrrrl!

Thanks @Sandeek. Haha I hate (large ones especially) social gatherings as well and generally avoid them as best I can but sometimes I must go. But I am right there with you. I am not a social butterfly in any sense of the word. Though I enjoy one on one very much with the right person.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yes, I don't eat (like) ice cream, chocolate, butter, most cake and desserts....And pierogis and sour cream. And I suntan and walk to work in -30C and snow.:eek2:

Does that make me unconventional? As my family says....NOPE just WEIRD!

cheers--Sharon

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results