shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you carry any personal protection device?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
but if you watch the video of the lady from NYC, the unprovoked attack came out of nowhere, there would have been no time for her to pull out pepper spray or a gun. You'd have to walk around with a weapon posed in front of you to deter any crazy person from attacking, and then you'd probably be arrested for looking like the cray cray person!

Exactly! yet some people here still think being "aware" and carrying themselves a certain way will prevent it. LMAO what are we supposed to do, turn Caucasian?

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
Exactly! yet some people here still think being "aware" and carrying themselves a certain way will prevent it. LMAO what are we supposed to do, turn Caucasian?

Nope.

There was no suggestion here to change your ethnicity.

The recommendations I made are good for all races, ethnicities, sexes and ages.

And those recommendations still stand.

It won't get you out of all possible dangers 100%. There is no 100%.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Really, you think you would be any safer in general, if you were caucasian? That's ludicrous...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
There was no suggestion here to change your ethnicity.

My comment was obviously sarcastic, and pointed at multiple, not just you. :lol: I am hyper vigilant yet I firmly believe if I'm out in a busy store and someone walking by wants to shoot me point blank, there's nothing I can do to stop that person. Just like the situations in many of these attacks.

Really, you think you would be any safer if you were caucasian? You can't be serious...

And yes, I do. These attacks are directed at elderly Asians, and many are shouting anti-Asian sentiments. Are you saying these are not race motivated?

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don't think anyone's trying to say that situational awareness or how one carries oneself will completely prevent it; I think they're trying to say that those things might help some to reduce the likelihood of one being chosen as a target. I haven't seen the details of all the recent horrible attacks, but of the ones whose details I have seen, it seems that there's a pattern of these sociopaths choosing older people to target - I'm assuming on the assumption that they'll be too frail to fight back. Therefore, carrying oneself in a confident, energetic manner that communicates "robustness" while clearly paying attention to those around you might lead one of these types to decide to choose what they consider an "easier target." Really good situational awareness might lead one to reach for and hold onto one's pepper spray in preparation. There's a good book called "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker that discusses this.

Obviously, though, such tactics aren't the primary answer - the primary answer is major societal change to where people need not fear being attacked just because of their gender, race, ethnicity, sexual preferences, etc., but we all need to do what we can to survive while we fight for those changes.

We also need some serious judicial reform if a guy who stabbed his own mother to death at age 19, and had prior arrests for robbery and murder in separate instances, is out on the streets. Seriously......WTF......

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
it seems that there's a pattern of these sociopaths choosing older people to target

There have been many cases of much younger people being targeted.

We also need some serious judicial reform if a guy who stabbed his own mother to death at age 19, and had prior arrests for robbery and murder in separate instances, is out on the streets. Seriously......WTF......

This guy needs to be executed. No trial needed.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think we’re supposed to walk tall, gun in hand, finger on the trigger, and stare down everyone around us so they know we are situationally aware. Oh, and make sure there are plenty of cops on every corner.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
My comment was obviously sarcastic, and pointed at multiple, not just you. :lol: I am hyper vigilant yet I firmly believe if I'm out in a busy store and someone walking by wants to shoot me point blank, there's nothing I can do to stop that person. Just like the situations in many of these attacks.

And yes, I do. These attacks are directed at elderly Asians, and many are shouting anti-Asian sentiments. Are you saying these are not race motivated?
I was thinking generally safer, my bad. Very true regarding these particular attacks, they are directly against Asians.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
This other guy in California had 2 prior Felony assault convictions yet was still walking around too, like the other guy in NYC. Screenshot_20210331-172334_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your advice and feedback. I truly appreciate all sides of this, including people who reminded me no amount of "weapons" will replace being alert and aware of my surroundings. And even then, there's no guarantee that I won't be targeted. It truly is both frightening and sad for me, having to worry about this simply due to my race and looking at people around me as potential threat.

I'm also worried about my children, both while I'm with them and without (school). As a parent there's nothing more terrifying than the prospect of not being able to protect them from violence...

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's legal to carry PPD here in Oz so usually my recommendation would be to learn some form of self-defence like krav maga particularly as there is always the risk the weapon could be used AGAINST you if someone overwhelms you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I think we’re supposed to walk tall, gun in hand, finger on the trigger, and stare down everyone around us

I'd look like Rocket the Raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy, being a whole 5 ft and all. Kinda act like him too lol.

another attack...

Not sure how much more I can take...

It's almost every day now, and not just in the city. A disabled Asian man local to me (in the suburbs) was attacked at a bus stop, suffered brain damage, and lost several fingers.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
We are supposed to visit my in-laws this summer in Central NY. Very small town between Syracuse and Albany. Prior to Covid, my son and I already received a lot of shocked stares when we're out in town. He's biracial but looks Asian, and there are no minorities in that area. I have been threatened before by a known violent white supremacist. Given current situations, I'm seriously considering cancelling our trip because I can't imagine this getting any better and I'm not sure it'll be safe.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ForteKitty

1617253490819.jpeg

Regarding your visit to the in-laws: on the one hand, nowhere feels safe right now. On the other hand, being the only non-white person in a town is pretty friggin’ weird. Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family stay safe!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
@ForteKitty

1617253490819.jpeg

Regarding your visit to the in-laws: on the one hand, nowhere feels safe right now. On the other hand, being the only non-white person in a town is pretty friggin’ weird. Whatever you decide, I hope you and your family stay safe!

That's totally me! I rewatched a bunch of Marvel movies recently and realized how similar I am to Rocky. He sounds just like me when he scolds teenage Groot! :lol:

Q

Queenie60

Thank you everyone for your advice and feedback. I truly appreciate all sides of this, including people who reminded me no amount of "weapons" will replace being alert and aware of my surroundings. And even then, there's no guarantee that I won't be targeted. It truly is both frightening and sad for me, having to worry about this simply due to my race and looking at people around me as potential threat.

I'm also worried about my children, both while I'm with them and without (school). As a parent there's nothing more terrifying than the prospect of not being able to protect them from violence...

My heart, my prayers and my deep, deep feelings are with you. I pray that the predators are caught and prosecuted. Please take care of yourself the best you can. I will continue to pray for you and others who are targets - hate and violence have no place in our communities.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are supposed to visit my in-laws this summer in Central NY. Very small town between Syracuse and Albany. Prior to Covid, my son and I already received a lot of shocked stares when we're out in town. He's biracial but looks Asian, and there are no minorities in that area. I have been threatened before by a known violent white supremacist. Given current situations, I'm seriously considering cancelling our trip because I can't imagine this getting any better and I'm not sure it'll be safe.

I’m so sorry. I understand how you feel. I hope you and your family stay safe.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry @ForteKitty. This is a living nightmare.

another attack...

Not sure how much more I can take...

:(

This is an interesting journal article. Anti Asian hate crimes have been underreported.

"Given that the recent increase in anti-Asian sentiment occurred alongside the highly publicized and protested murders of Black people, the Black/White binary may help explain why the recent surge in racism against Asian Americans has remained underreported. Though the relative invisibility of Asian Americans that results from this racial dichotomization is a long-standing issue, underreporting over the past year has been particularly egregious. Public awareness of crimes against Asian Americans increased in February 2021 only because of a boost from social media and subsequent attention by national news outlets. This increased exposure has highlighted the vicious nature of these crimes, and Asian Americans are left anxious about the lives of their loved ones and fearful for their own."

And what we need to do about it. We cannot be silent. This is unacceptable on all levels.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What President Biden plans to do to combat this hate.

MARCH 30, 2021 •

"
“Too many Asian Americans have been walking up and down the streets and worrying, waking up each morning the past year feeling their safety and the safety of their loved ones are at stake. They’ve been attacked, blamed, scapegoated, and harassed. They’ve been verbally assaulted, physically assaulted, killed… The conversation we had today with the AAPI leaders, and that we’re hearing all across the country, is that hate and violence often hide in plain sight. And it’s often met with silence. That’s been true throughout our history, but that has to change — because our silence is complicity. We cannot be complicit. We have to speak out. We have to act.”
– President Joe Biden, March 19, 2021

Across our nation, an outpouring of grief and outrage continues at the horrific violence and xenophobia perpetrated against Asian American communities, especially Asian American women and girls. As President Biden said during his first prime time address, anti-Asian violence and xenophobia is wrong, it’s un-American, and it must stop.

Today, President Biden is announcing new actions to respond to the increase in acts of anti-Asian violence, and to advance safety, inclusion, and belonging for all Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities. These actions build on the President’s Memorandum Condemning and Combating Racism, Xenophobia, and Intolerance Against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States, issued his first week in office. In his first 65 days, the President announced that it is the official policy of this Administration to condemn anti-Asian bias and violence; visited AAPI leaders in Atlanta to denounce anti-Asian violence and gender-based violence with the Vice President; called on Congress to pass the COVID-19 Hate Crimes Act introduced by Senator Hirono and Congresswoman Meng; and created a historically diverse Administration in which 15 percent of all appointees identify as Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.

Today’s announcements include:

Reinstating and reinvigorating the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders, with initial focus on anti-Asian bias and violence: The President will re-establish and expand the initiative’s initial mandate to coordinate across federal agencies to combat anti-Asian bias and violence, especially anti-Asian violence at the intersection of gender-based violence. The initiative will have an expanded mandate to promote inclusion, belonging, and opportunity for all Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities. Over the coming weeks, the Administration will meet with Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander leaders and organizations to hear their recommendations for the initiative’s mission, structure, and community engagement. And, the President will appoint a permanent Director to lead the Initiative in the coordination of policies across the federal government impacting Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities.

Funding for AAPI survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault: The Department of Health and Human Services is allocating $49.5 million from the American Rescue Plan to a new grant program for community based, culturally specific services and programs for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault who face additional barriers to services and safety, such as language access barriers. This program will expand services to domestic violence survivors from Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities.

Establishing a COVID-19 Equity Task Force committee on addressing and ending xenophobia against Asian Americans: President Biden established a COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force through his Executive Order on Ensuring an Equitable Pandemic Response and Recovery on January 21, 2021. The Task Force is charged with making recommendations to the President to eliminate health and social disparities that result in disproportionately higher rates of exposure, illness, hospitalization and death related to COVID-19, and for preventing such inequities in the future.

To carry out this work, today HHS is announcing that the Task Force has established a subcommittee on Structural Drivers of Health Inequity and Xenophobia. This subcommittee will provide recommendations to ensure the Federal Government’s response to COVID-19 mitigates anti-Asian xenophobia and bias, as established by the Presidential Memorandum Condemning and Combatting Racism, Xenophobia, and Intolerance Against Asian American and Pacific Islanders in the United States.

In addition to addressing bias and xenophobia against Asian American communities, the subcommittee will advance health equity for specific Asian American communities, including Pacific Islander and Native Hawaiian communities who have disproportionately been infected by and died from COVID-19. The subcommittee will lead policy sprints to develop actionable recommendations for advancing cultural competency, language access, and inclusion towards Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders as the United States ends and recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Establishment of a Department of Justice cross-agency initiative to address anti-Asian violence: To implement the President’s week-one Memorandum combatting AAPI xenophobia, DOJ has established a whole agency initiative to respond to anti-Asian violence. Actions to date include:

• Leadership and coordination: The Department of Justice Civil Rights Division re-convened the Department’s Hate Crimes Enforcement and Prevention Initiative and is focused on the rise of hate crimes against the AAPI community. The initiative is re-initiating community outreach and engagement programs and addressing gaps in hate crimes reporting.
  • Data and transparency: To ensure transparency in the nation’s hate crimes data, and to support community-led efforts to shine a spotlight on acts of anti-Asian violence, the Federal Bureau of Investigation will publish a new interactive hate crime page on its Crime Data Explorer website, which will spotlight reports of anti-Asian hate crimes. This online tool will help communities, researchers, and advocates study and measure national hate crimes statistics. And, to promote accurate reporting of hate crimes against Asian Americans, the FBI is also adding scenario-based training on anti-Asian bias crimes to its data collection training manual that is provided to state and local partners. In January 2021, the FBI Criminal Justice Information System transitioned to the National Incident-Based Reporting System, which improves upon the prior reporting system by adding more than 50 additional categories of crimes and demographic data, and supports state and local law enforcement agencies in reporting hate crimes, including crimes related to anti-Asian bias.
  • Removing language access barriers to hate crimes information: DOJ has updated its hate crimes website, which provides a centralized portal of hate crime-related resources for law enforcement, researchers, victims, and advocacy groups. Information on the site has been made accessible in four of the most frequently spoken AAPI languages: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tagalog, and Vietnamese.
  • Community resources and outreach: DOJ is partnering with the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) on a panel discussion for its 50,000 members focused on improving efforts to combat anti-Asian hate incidents. DOJ’s Civil Rights Division, Community Relations Service, and the FBI will participate in the discussion and share resources. DOJ is also partnering with community-based organizations to expand public education and awareness about hate crimes reporting, prevention, and response.
  • Law enforcement training: The FBI will begin holding nationwide civil rights training events to promote state and local law enforcement reporting of hate crimes. These new civil rights trainings will feature modules on recognizing and reporting anti-Asian bias. The Department’s Office of Community Oriented Policing Services is field testing a new hate crimes curriculum focused on law enforcement response, investigation, and reporting of hate crimes. The course focuses on increasing capacity and competency to investigate and accurately report all hate crimes, including those motivated by anti-Asian bias.
Launching a new virtual bookshelf of federally-funded projects that explore and celebrate Asian Americans’ contributions to the United States: The National Endowment for the Humanities is launching a virtual library including resources for educators, civic leaders, arts and humanities institutions, and families to explore Asian American history, and address the history and ongoing challenge of anti-Asian discrimination and racism in the United States.

Funding critical research to prevent and address bias and xenophobia against Asian American communities. The National Science Foundation is taking a comprehensive approach to investing in research to understand, address, and end bias, discrimination and xenophobia, including against AAPI communities. NSF is currently supporting more than 100 grants across the country totaling more than $33 million dollars of investment. These diverse researchers are advancing innovative studies to reveal new and more effective strategies for reducing the frequency and severity of discrimination experienced by historically underrepresented groups, and reduce targeting of, and violence towards, historically underrepresented communities and individuals, including Asian American communities. This work continues NSF’s history of commitment to supporting fundamental research in these vital areas.

Today’s announcements are additional steps in the Biden Administration’s work to advance equity for Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander communities through a whole-of-government approach to racial justice. On his first day in office, President Biden signed an Executive Order on Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government. As part of this Order, the President charged federal agencies with taking a comprehensive approach to advancing equity for AAPI communities. From reducing language access barriers, to improving the collection and disaggregation of data on AAPI individuals and households, the Biden Administration is committed to working hand in hand with Asian American leaders, civil rights organizations, and communities to advance fairness, opportunity, and inclusion for all."

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
I think we’re supposed to walk tall, gun in hand, finger on the trigger, and stare down everyone around us so they know we are situationally aware. Oh, and make sure there are plenty of cops on every corner.

I know you are being facetious, because you are angry. Not every black, white or Hispanic person is hateful towards Asian folks. In fact, most people aren't. I was really trying to be helpful in my posts about my advice, because I am worried and want everyone to be safe. If that didn't come across in my posts, I am sorry.

FYI, walking around with a gun pointed out is brandishing and is illegal. Again, I know you were being facetious about that, but my strong sense of gun safety makes me compelled to say that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I carry a small switch blade in my purse or in my person when I go for walks

Q

Queenie60

Police forces in many cities (including NYC, Portland etc) have been significantly downsized and "defunded" . Remember that?

Being very aware of exactly who is around you, and having the ability and tools to defend oneself seems to be the best option.... aside from luck, and prayer.
Edited to add, the guy below was arrested. He had previously KILLED HIS MOTHER.. Yet walking around free!

Yes, isn't it sick? This is happening in NY, CA and many cities around the country. The criminals are being released on the streets and many times due to "covid spreading" throughout the prisons. Well..... I won't say what I think of that! Victims and law abiding citizens no longer have rights, however the criminals and murders have rights.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
No, it’s illegal to purchase, carry or use anything specifically intended for self defence where I live.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
Same where I live too

thecatmom

Rough_Rock
I am Asian-passing South Asian (people are usually confused about my ethnicity to the point that people from my country in USA speak to me in English because they don't believe I am South Asian). There have been times when I have been discriminated against in meetings because I look Asian. I have stopped stepping out of the house alone, and even when I do, I put on sunglasses or glasses in addition to big black mask to hide my ethnicity. This is not what I expected when I moved here. This constant fear is debilitating.

It all started in December 2016 when a white woman threatened to run me and my husband over with her truck saying racist things to us near our local Target. We were so traumatized, we never went back to that Target.

Am sorry for unloading here.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am Asian-passing South Asian (people are usually confused about my ethnicity to the point that people from my country in USA speak to me in English because they don't believe I am South Asian). There have been times when I have been discriminated against in meetings because I look Asian. I have stopped stepping out of the house alone, and even when I do, I put on sunglasses or glasses in addition to big black mask to hide my ethnicity. This is not what I expected when I moved here. This constant fear is debilitating.

It all started in December 2016 when a white woman threatened to run me and my husband over with her truck saying racist things to us near our local Target. We were so traumatized, we never went back to that Target.

Am sorry for unloading here.

Don't be sorry. What you went through was horrific and I am glad you were able to share it. I hope that the woman who did this to you and your husband is sitting in prison right now and will stay there.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's almost every day now, and not just in the city. A disabled Asian man local to me (in the suburbs) was attacked at a bus stop, suffered brain damage, and lost several fingers.
B/c your LA DA is releasing 1000's of criminals back on the street. He's fighting for the criminals and not for the victims.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
B/c your LA DA is releasing 1000's of criminals back on the street. He's fighting for the criminals and not for the victims.

You think only criminals are racist? Hate to tell you this but I worked for Sheriff's Dept, INSIDE the jails downtown. Many hate crimes are committed by people with no prior records at all. Because Asians tend to "let things go", they don't press charges even when the perpetrators are identified and arrested, which lets the perps get away with even more. Releasing criminals is likely not related to the increase in Asian hate, that hate is caused by rhetoric. When the US govt is calling it a "Chinese virus" or "Kung-flu", that trickles down, and it creates a problem. The average racist makes no distinction between the Chinese govt. and every other Asian. We're all the same to them. People are blaming us for Covid, and don't think for one second that your citizenship exempts you from that hate. You still look Asian, as do I.

I personally have no problem bashing someone's head in with a fire extinguisher if they threaten me, but most people won't. I keep several around the house in case we can't get to our guns fast enough, since we can't leave them lying out with a kid around the house. I prefer fire extinguishers in the house because it's easy to blind robbers and cause great bodily harm close range. I choose violence. :lol:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results