shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you carry any personal protection device?

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm an Asian American and have been fortunate to avoid much of racial discrimination in my life. I always felt pretty safe in most environments I'm in, whether it's commuting to NYC and NJ, as neighborhoods and work offices are pretty diverse and I don't feel like I stand out so much.

But the recent crimes against Asian community has me frightened. I just saw a video of a man who just walked up to an elderly Asian woman on the street and started brutally beating her, in the broad day light in NYC with plenty of people around who did nothing. That could happen to anyone anywhere.

Anyway, I'm considering carrying a personal protective device, stun gun or pepper spray. Curious to see if anyone has them and what your thoughts are. From what I've read briefly both stun guns and pepper sprays are legal in NY but pepper spray must be purchased in person.

I'm not sure how my husband would react, he might think I'm off my rockers or think no personal protective device would be effective in deterring these violent crimes. But I've never felt this vulnerable and need to do something.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take a self defense class in your area.
Both pepper spray and a stun gun take practice to use quickly when needed.
Pepper spray and a class is a good start.

Sure it can happen to anyone anywhere but it is rare outside of gang fights which is why it made the news.
The knockout game was nasty for a while until it was figured out that it would bring the cops down hard on an entire area then it died down.

The first rule of self defense is keep them guessing and do not talk about what you have or do.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
I'm an Asian American and have been fortunate to avoid much of racial discrimination in my life. I always felt pretty safe in most environments I'm in, whether it's commuting to NYC and NJ, as neighborhoods and work offices are pretty diverse and I don't feel like I stand out so much.

But the recent crimes against Asian community has me frightened. I just saw a video of a man who just walked up to an elderly Asian woman on the street and started brutally beating her, in the broad day light in NYC with plenty of people around who did nothing. That could happen to anyone anywhere.

Anyway, I'm considering carrying a personal protective device, stun gun or pepper spray. Curious to see if anyone has them and what your thoughts are. From what I've read briefly both stun guns and pepper sprays are legal in NY but pepper spray must be purchased in person.

I'm not sure how my husband would react, he might think I'm off my rockers or think no personal protective device would be effective in deterring these violent crimes. But I've never felt this vulnerable and need to do something.

I carry a gun. Unfortunately NYC makes it difficult for law abiding citizens to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. As a result it is mostly criminals who have guns, and wealthy people who can afford armed private security. I would look into pepper spray and a self defense course. ps Your husband gets no say/no vote in how you personally feel about your own safety and what you choose to do about it. Good luck.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do.
My mind.

So far, so good.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm guessing none of you saw the video @Babyblue033 referenced, where the lady was drop kicked on a public sidewalk and stomped on with absolutely no prior provocation. The attack came out of nowhere. Honestly as an Asian American myself, I'm concerned, as these attacks are getting more brazen and frequent. Most victims are blindsighted. There was probably nothing that woman could have done to protect herself or prevent it unless she already had a gun in hand and was pointing it at him, and you can't exactly walk around everywhere like that.

eta: I am ordering some gel pepper spray since they don't spray back at you if it's windy. But to be completely honest, if someone attacks you randomly on the street or while you're on the subway, like the man who was slashed ear to ear or the man who had his head bashed in from behind, pepper spray is useless. These attackers are not announcing themselves, and you cant just point a gun at everyone who walks past you on public streets.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
eta: I am ordering some gel pepper spray since they don't spray back at you if it's windy.
While I like the gel in that I think it sticks better to the target it does blow back just as much as the spray as it is not 100% gel especially on a hot day or if its been in a hot car.
I have personally tested several brands of spray and gel.
Avoid the lipstick sized ones they have no range and little pressure and are more likely to blow back more.
Which brings me to another recomendation get 2 and practice with one so you know what to expect and how to use it.

I watched parts of the video.
I want to do some more homework before I comment more. To tired tonight to do it.

Q

Queenie60

The attacks are sick and should not happen. We need more police protection. I am sorry that this is happening to our wonderful asian communities all over America. Please be safe and aware of your surroundings.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I walk with pepper spray in hand and I’ve been doing it since the beginning of the pandemic, when people started with “Chinese virus” and it escalated from there. The problem is that when you try to explain why it’s not okay to call it that, the idiots saying it just don’t get it and refuse to stop.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have personally tested several brands of spray and gel.

Are there any particular ones you recommend?

Please be safe and aware of your surroundings.

Unfortunately that's not enough anymore. Aside from holding a weapon at the ready at all times when you're walking around the city, not sure what else we can do. I remember visiting my in-laws who live in Central NY and there was a known, violent white supremacist who lived there. This town had almost no minorities. He would show up at the high school during football practice when we're there watching the nephews practice. Huge, roided up dude, and he'd glare at me and my son (biracial) the entire time. I just remembered thinking, if he walked past us and decided to punch my infant in the head, it would happen so fast there's literally nothing I can do to prevent or stop him, even though everyone there carries. It was extremely anxiety inducing. And now I feel like that every time I leave my house.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the video - it is currently headlining on BBC.

It's shocking & disgusting. It's also disgusting that the man in the shop who's CCTV caught the incident, then walks over AND SHUTS THE DOOR at the end........

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is surreal what is going on here. I am heartsick about it.

My best friend (who is Chinese) tells me every single day he gets harassed on the streets of NYC. People call him names and throw him dirty looks. Hate of any kind is disgusting but even more so when there is zero reason for it. Many people are morons and despicable and I cannot say what I really think or I would be thrown off the forum. Suffice to say I am heartbroken about all this hate directed towards Asians and I want to know what we can do.

To answer your original question we carry a knife on the bike but generally when we are out and about we have no weapons. We did recently get a gun permit but it isn't a carry permit. We are going to use it for home protection. If I could carry it I would.

nooneisborntohate.png

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I have carried pepper spray in the past when I lived in DC and have taken self defense class. Not doing so now but I’m doing my daily commute by car to a gated facility so I’m not out and about a lot.I think Karl’s suggestion was right on- choose a protective device you are comfortable with carrying and then also take a defense class to practice. Better to be prepared for the worst then hope nothing will ever happen to you, IMO.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
The attacks are sick and should not happen. We need more police protection. I am sorry that this is happening to our wonderful asian communities all over America. Please be safe and aware of your surroundings.

Police forces in many cities (including NYC, Portland etc) have been significantly downsized and "defunded" . Remember that?

Being very aware of exactly who is around you, and having the ability and tools to defend oneself seems to be the best option.... aside from luck, and prayer.
Edited to add, the guy below was arrested. He had previously KILLED HIS MOTHER.. Yet walking around free!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210331-101117_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210331-101117_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Are there any particular ones you recommend?
Stick with a brand name like Mace, Sabre, Ruger, and Smith and Wesson.
The bigger the better it will work but you have to balance that with ease of carry.
Stay away with mixed ingredient ones, you want pepper spray or gel with marking and that's it no CS Gas.
If it says 3 in 1 do not buy it.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
"Defunding the police" is an unfortunate term because it sounds terrible. And of course many people don't learn about things before forming opinions about them. They think it means just doing away with police or severely cutting back police services with nothing solid in place to replace, modify or assist with those portions of police work, which would of course be idiotic.

What it actually means is modifying our current system by using some of that money for other services that decrease the crime problem rather than only the expensive, revolving door system we have now. Drug rehab for just one example. It is a commendable goal all around.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone else ever been pepper sprayed? I have, long story haha. I would advise noting which way the wind is blowing before pushing that little lever!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I (both Asian-American) walk our dog together almost everyday, but due to recent violence against Asians, I am hesitant to walk outside our small gated community if he isn't with me. Sometimes he is caught in traffic and can't get home in time. When that happens, I just walk my dog in our neighborhood, where I know most of my neighbors, I have though about carrying pepper spray, but if you watch the video of the lady from NYC, the unprovoked attack came out of nowhere, there would have been no time for her to pull out pepper spray or a gun. You'd have to walk around with a weapon posed in front of you to deter any crazy person from attacking, and then you'd probably be arrested for looking like the cray cray person!

I have not experienced any Asian hate in my city so far, but I don't go out much. My teen was harassed by a couple of kids at a park a couple weeks ago. They shouted "Chink, go back to where you came from" from the safety of their car as they sped away. Such cowardly ignorance. Hilarious since my kids were born and raised in California have lived in the same city their entire lives. I want to get pepper spray (at minimum) for my teen.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not legal here to carry anything that could be termed ‘an offensive weapon’ but it is perfectly legal to walk around with a canister of hairspray, a sharpened tail comb.

I would suggest learning Jujitsu if you can, it doesn’t matter what size you are because you use your opponents weight against them. Many a time I fought off my trainer who was British and European over 70kgs kickboxing champ and had him tapping furiously for me to let go. He also taught me how to fight off knife attacks, strangleholds and being grabbed from behind.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
No one in her right mind would expect the racists to protect her

Really? You're holding one horrible cop as an example of ALL police. That's really unhelpful and hurtful to law enforcement.
By your "logic" that must mean the black racist criminal above attacking Asians, proves that ALL black people are racists and cannot be trusted....
"Defunding the police" is an unfortunate term because it sounds terrible. And of course many people don't learn about things before forming opinions about them. They think it means just doing away with police or severely cutting back police services with nothing solid in place to replace, modify or assist with those portions of police work, which would of course be idiotic.

What it actually means is modifying our current system by using some of that money for other services that decrease the crime problem rather than only the expensive, revolving door system we have now. Drug rehab for just one example. It is a commendable goal all around.

Any way you would like to justify or explain it away. Crime has risen in those areas where police were cut. A social worker was even killed in Seattle when responding to an incident....

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's getting scary out there, I carry pepper spray in my car as well as a stabby type thing on my keychain. My hubby has his CC so he carries a gun. My daughter carries a stungun in car and pepper spray on her.
We have seen too much craziness in our area to include people trying to snatch kids from WM for trafficking and road rage incidents.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am asian. I used to carry pepper spray, and brass knuckles; had both in my bag at all times. I felt reassured having them. I was robbed by a group of men with knives at noon on a beach. I couldn't very well ask for them to drop their weapons while I retrieved my pepper spray. Another time two men tried to take my phone while walking in a posh area at 6 in the evening. I had pepper spray. It was in my bag. Again, useless. Punching them in the face and then running after them screaming like a banshee worked though. These weren't even violent attacks- just the threat of it. So I can't imagine being organised enough or vigilant enough to ward off a surprise physical attack. So no, i don't carry anything. The feeling of reassurance dissipated after those events.

The only time I have ever seen a woman 'fight' off someone was as a child when our family friend who was 4th dan aikido master put her vocation to use. A man grabber her and she flipped him and pinned him before the rest of us noticed. She had experienced some events in her life that made her hyper vigilant. She had dedicated a lifetime to training and was on constant alert. I am flubby, slow, and unaware. Props would be useless for me.

I also do not want to train myself to be hyper alert at all times. Of course when I am alone, day or night, I take all the automatic precautions that every woman unfortunately grows up learning. But to imagine having to do that ALL the time, even on crowded high streets wouldn't be sustainable for me. Rightly or wrongly, I prefer to assume statistically an assault won't happen to me.

And I would never consider carrying a gun.

'Luckily' I live somewhere where racism is worse than the states, but rarely physical. Pretty messed up definition of luck, but...

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really? You're holding one horrible cop as an example of ALL police. That's really unhelpful and hurtful to law enforcement.
By your "logic" that must mean the black racist criminal above attacking Asians, proves that ALL black people are racists and cannot be trusted....

Any way you would like to justify or explain it away. Crime has risen in those areas where police were cut. A social worker was even killed in Seattle when responding to an incident....

Killer cops who acted as judge, jury, and executioner in the murders of unarmed Black people:
Derek Chauvin
Jonathan Mattingly
Brett Hankinson
Myles Cosgrove
Garrett Rolfe
Troy Taladay
Paul Ricotta
Francisco Santiago
Andrew Specksgoor
Josiah Harris
Mark Vaughn
Michael Magri
...and the list goes on.

When the police forces in America were historically founded as slave patrols to uphold white supremacy, it’s a lie to say it’s just a few bad apples and not a systemic problem. And for those who try to say it’s just a few bad apples, remember the whole phrase: a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Killer cops who acted as judge, jury, and executioner in the murders of unarmed Black people:
Derek Chauvin
Jonathan Mattingly
Brett Hankinson
Myles Cosgrove
Garrett Rolfe
Troy Taladay
Paul Ricotta
Francisco Santiago
Andrew Specksgoor
Josiah Harris
Mark Vaughn
Michael Magri
...and the list goes on.

When the police forces in America were historically founded as slave patrols to uphold white supremacy, it’s a lie to say it’s just a few bad apples and not a systemic problem. And for those who try to say it’s just a few bad apples, remember the whole phrase: a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

According to a quick Google search, as of 2019, there were 697,195 full-time law enforcement officers employed in the United States. Yes, some of them are racist. Yes, there ARE "bad apples" in EVERY profession, nurses, teachers, professors, clerks etc. EVERY RACE, white, black, Hispanic, Muslim, Asian, EVERY FAMILY, even mine and YOURS may have racists... However that DOES NOT mean that it's appropriate for you or anyone else to paint *everyone* in that group with the same, pejorative, negative brush!
Your OWN prejudice/bias/ is showing quite clearly here.....

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
...Of course when I am alone, day or night, I take all the automatic precautions that every woman unfortunately grows up learning...

This reminded me of my husband and I on our night time walks. He wanted us to wear bright, neon-ish shirt for "safety" purposes and I was stunned. To me, that would be like putting a target on my back. Getting hit by a car was not my top concern.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Police forces in many cities (including NYC, Portland etc) have been significantly downsized and "defunded" . Remember that?

Being very aware of exactly who is around you, and having the ability and tools to defend oneself seems to be the best option.... aside from luck, and prayer.
Edited to add, the guy below was arrested. He had previously KILLED HIS MOTHER.. Yet walking around free!

Don’t you just love our politicians? The victims do not matter.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to a quick Google search, as of 2019, there were 697,195 full-time law enforcement officers employed in the United States. Yes, some of them are racist. Yes, there ARE "bad apples" in EVERY profession, nurses, teachers, professors, clerks etc. EVERY RACE, white, black, Hispanic, Muslim, Asian, EVERY FAMILY, even mine and YOURS may have racists... However that DOES NOT mean that it's appropriate for you or anyone else to paint *everyone* in that group with the same, pejorative, negative brush!
Your OWN prejudice/bias/ is showing quite clearly here.....

Yeah, I get it. You love cops.

Peace out.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I get it. You love cops.

Peace out.
No, I don't. You've made yet *another* erroneous leap. I simply pointed out reality that interferes with your predjudice and villainization toward an entire group.
Isn't the bias/predjudice/racism you espoused above, the exact same thing you profess to hate about others?

Last edited:

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
Your brain is your best personal protection device. Being aware, being able to read a situation, being able to avoid certain situations, how you project yourself, how you position yourself and hold yourself...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results