shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you care if a stone was used before?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unless you bought a rough and have it cut.there are no guarantee that your diamond is unworn.

some people don''t mind used....

used house
used cars
used diamonds
used husband or wife

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn''t matter to me whether a stone was previously owned. I love estate jewelry.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

One of the rather nice things about diamonds is that they recycle fairly well. Diamonds are forever – people aren’t. Approximately every diamond ever mined is still in circulation and is still usable. In many, perhaps most cases, they are indistinguishable. This is feature, not a problem.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I was reading through some of this thread and thinking theoretically, "I wouldn''t mind ..." when it finally dawned on me that the very ring I''m wearing as I read it used! I got a "new" e-ring to wear with my wedding band at an antique shop, and I''m soooo glad to have it for many reasons. I don''t mind at all that it was previously owned. It really very seldom occurs to me. But count me in with those who want NOTHING to do with a ring that the man giving it previously intended it for another girl etc...

Date: 6/12/2006 7:54:07 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Approximately every diamond ever mined is still in circulation and is still usable.
I know of one that isn''t, unless a scuba diver found it... My brother knew a guy who proposed with a ring that his girlfriend very quickly and correctly deduced had already been given to another girl (i.e. he had proposed to someone else with it before). She tossed it into the Atlantic Ocean!

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
No diamond is new....they are millions of years old!

You could potentially save a fortune buying a second hand diamond....and mounting in a setting of your choice.

Makes good sense to me!!!
31.gif

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
I''ve come to realize that my stone is probably "used". We purchased it at a great price from a trusted family jeweler in 2005. The cert is dated 2002. We never cared to ask where she got the stone from and why the cert was dated 2002.

As long as the diamond wasn''t used by a former love of my fiance, I''m fine with it.

16.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand. (But then, I AM a man - and we all know men don't understand anything.)
15.gif

It sounds like most women don't care if their diamond was owned by a previous woman.
So what!? . . . if that previous woman was your husband's X?

If it is used, then it is used.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 11:33:41 AM
Author: kenny
I don''t understand. (But then, I AM a man - and we all know men don''t understand anything.)
15.gif

It sounds like most women don''t care if their diamond was used by a previous woman.

So why does it seem to bother most of you if that previous woman was your husband''s X?

If it is used, then it is used.

Im a guy and even I get that one.
I wouldnt want something that was bought for an x-boyfriend unless it goes real fast then id spray it down with cootie remover hehehehe
But something to wear... no thanks.....

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because we don''t want a ring that our man chose for another, it is the fact that HE bought it with another woman in mind, not us. To us this ring would be symbolic of our guy''s failed relationship with another woman and to us it would be " second skimmings" so to speak. We would feel that we weren''t " worth" them buying another ring for yet SHE got one! If it was owned by another woman from another relationship entirely not involving our man, then fine. That is how I feel anyway, not speaking for anyone else.

I would have no problems with a used diamond at all. I look at it this way - the ring is something new for me and providing it was in good condition ( as new) then fine. Diamonds are so ancient anyway in many instances, whoever knows who had them previously? A recent cert doesn''t guarantee you a " brand new " diamond.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I once had a boss who had been married 3x. She wore the wedding band from her 2nd marriage while she was married to her 3rd husband. I always thought that was weird. She said it went with her ring, so who cares?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you would reject the diamond but keep the man?
The former romance is not the diamond's fault, it's his.

If you have a problem with the fact that you were not his first love, why not keep the diamond but throw the MAN into the Atlantic Ocean?
How can you forgive the man but not the diamond?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not only do I NOT care if the diamond is "used," but if the previous owner has any rubies, emeralds or sapphires that he/she doesn't want any more I'll take those too!

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
It's not quite as mysterious as has been portrayed.

In fact, these days, due to Patriot Act and other requirements, there may well be a paper trail if your diamond had a previous "end user." But you would have to convince the jeweler and/or their supplier to open their records to you to find out. In most cases, I suspect the jewler is going to politely decline, and I really see no reason to do otherwise.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t care at all if my diamond was previously owned. I''d assume they had great taste, just like me, to pick the same stone. In some ways, it would reinforce my choice, especially if I knew they were discerning buyers and knew their diamond "stuff" (i.e., a jeweler purchasing for his wife, a diamond broker or appraiser''s selection for a family member, etc.)

The ring/setting on the otherhand, if presented to me as new and I found out it was used, would definitely upset me. Especially if it had any history or conection with my husband or anyone that he had purchased it for.

If, however, I was told upfront that we would be looking at used settings say from an estate sale or pawn shop, that would be OK because it would be with my consent and knowledge upfront and neither one of us would have any personal connection with the previous owner.

There is nothing wrong with antique or previously owned pieces, it''s the deceitfulness of trying to pull it off without you knowning that would upset me.

I guess it''s all about the frame of mind of the recipient as well as the giver. Full disclosure and consent would be a must.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doesn''t bother me. As long as the stone is in perfect condition (not chipped, etc) I don''t care! There is something even quite romantic about it when I think of OMCs and OECs, older cut stones.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Another thought...how many of us are wearing recycled GOLD.When we trade in a piece to up grade....what happens to the stones and the gold???

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
It would bother me just on principle because of how the market works. When you no longer want a diamond it is suddenly worth very little. Good luck finding an individual to buy it for a fair price. So you sell it to jewler for a few beans. Then he turns around and sells it for more than you originally paid for it. I think that''s terrible. So I would be upset if the stone I bought was recycled...mostly just because somebody get screwed out of their money.

Granted with a lot of the vendors on here, you can trade up and they''ll often buy back you stone for a decent guaranteed price. So I guess if I knew that''s the case I wouldn''t really mind. Because nobody got taken to the cleaner. But the little lady would definately obect in that case because the diamond was contaminated with ''failed-redlationship-cooties''. Keep in mind though she will never upgrade her diamond. It will forever be her engagement diamond.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Old gems? No problemmo, in fact I will be crying with joy when Liz Taylor gives me her all "old" blingy stuff....
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2006 3:45:57 PM
Author: jasontb
Granted with a lot of the vendors on here, you can trade up and they''ll often buy back you stone for a decent guaranteed price. So I guess if I knew that''s the case I wouldn''t really mind. Because nobody got taken to the cleaner. But the little lady would definately obect in that case because the diamond was contaminated with ''failed-redlationship-cooties''. Keep in mind though she will never upgrade her diamond. It will forever be her engagement diamond.
But if the person who brought the diamond back was just upgrading, the diamond wouldn''t have failed relationship cooties, right? (Still LOL at the cooties thing that Storm started.)

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
Nope! Happens all the time, actually. I mean, unless you have a cultured diamond, the stone is so 'old' anyway that how could you possibly even let something like that worry you?

I would be so geeked out to think that a diamond I owned had a long and sordid past - that my little chunk of modern RBC maybe was once a part of a much larger diamond used in a king's sceptre or an arab prince's crown?! So cool!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard that you never know where today's gold has been.
It is so valuable that it is never wasted.
It just stays around over time and changes form.

Plus gold is easy to melt down when the original design is no longer saleable, or someone has reason to conceal an item's history such as when the original item was stolen.
It is weird to think that traces of gold from looted archeological sights including the Egyptian pyramids may have made its way into your "new" ring.

I've even heard that diluted into today's gold supply is some of the Nazi gold originally taken from the dental work of holocaust victims.
38.gif

(But again what are they supposed to do, throw it away?)

We are dealing with very valuable materials, market forces, human beings and long periods of time.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I''ve even heard that diluted into today''s gold supply is some of the Nazi gold originally taken from the dental work of holocaust victims.

23.gif
Now that thought is freaky!!!! What yo don''t know can''t bother you..Kinda likd no news is good news..
19.gif

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I don''t care if my diamond is old... My e-ring diamond, is an OEC from the 1920''s. While I do not know the story behind it - I find it romantic that my stone has a long, forgotten past.

I love, love, love OMCs and OECs and basically ALL old cut stones.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 4:59:14 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
unless you bought a rough and have it cut.there are no guarantee that your diamond is unworn.

some people don''t mind used....

used house
used cars
used diamonds
used husband or wife
That is a good comparison Dancing Fire. It would really be bad if we did not recycle...LOL Doesn''t bother me that a diamond /gem has been recycled. It is something you don''t think about until this thread. I have some estate jewelry .... so what!!!!

Diamonds are forever....

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I think that for a LOT of people, they get an ering and that is it, they hold onto that stone forever and pass it on to loved ones. Not even a percent of diamond owners out there are as crazy as all of us and want constant upgrades. I asked my local B&M to look at traded in stones and he said that almost never happens, who knew........
Who really cares about a stones history anyway, they are all over a billion years old. It''s not like I care, we''re only holding on to them for a very very very brief period of history compared to the life of the stone. Enjoy it now while you can.

Bella

Rough_Rock
Nope, don''t care AT ALL! Any place that gives a really good return, exchange, or trade-up policy has got to be doing SOMETHING with those diamonds that come back in. I''m pretty sure they are re-selling them. So long as the diamond matches the cert (no subsequent damage) then I don''t feel that there is anything dishonest in not telling the buyer about the diamond''s history. The buyer should be given a diamond that matches what''s on the cert - who owned it before that (a diamond wholesaler, another jeweler, another woman) is immaterial.

And I don''t believe in Karma; I would gladly accept the Hope diamond if I was ever offered.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if the stone has been laser inscribed and the black is gone,most likely its been used. me think
20.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
nope don't mind at all.

exception: if it a former girlfriend's or wife's , then I would want to disinfect the psychological cooties with a fresh setting from jared's.

edited to add: i have a supply of very nice diamonds. I ask the question: Men, would it freak you out to reuse the diamonds? in a fresh setting? if all you had to do was to design or select a fresh setting?

lili

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 9:40:09 PM
Author: isaku5
'' previous Hubby''s girlfriend''s ring'' That wouldn''t be acceptable to me, but as long as you don''t mind, that''s great.

I''m okay with a previously owned diamond if it was a family heirloom that has been handed down, etc., but from a previous relationship --sorry, not a chance in h***.
38.gif
Just out of curiosity. What if that piece of heirloom has been worned by an ex and was returned upon their parting ways?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 3:45:57 PM
Author: jasontb
It would bother me just on principle because of how the market works. When you no longer want a diamond it is suddenly worth very little. Good luck finding an individual to buy it for a fair price. So you sell it to jewler for a few beans. Then he turns around and sells it for more than you originally paid for it. I think that''s terrible. So I would be upset if the stone I bought was recycled...mostly just because somebody get screwed out of their money.

soooooo, has it dawned on you to buy "used" yet? evil grin?

thar be a lot of nice used stones out there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results