shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you care if a stone was used before?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t.

BTW, I think it is impossible to know, with absolute certainty, that you are the first to wear "your" diamond.

I mean, what are they supposed to do when there is a death or divorce, throw the diamond away?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I know that many of the diamonds on the market have histories, and that really doesn''t bother me. The thought does bother my DF, however (just asked to confirm) which is why I''ve never pointed out that fact to him before. Ignorance is bliss.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
no it wouldn''t bother me...unless it was owned by someone who was horribly murdered or something and i knew about it, i probably wouldn''t want that kind of potential bad karma if i knew about it.

when i traded my stone back to WF..my girlfriend who is going to get engaged soon really wanted it. but her bf said he didn''t want her to have my ''old stone''...she was so bummed because she really loved my stone. so now she is trying to find something similar to it, but she could have had THAT one if it wasn''t for her bf. i thought that was kind of silly because obviously it''s not like the stone has any bad karma attached to it, they are friends of ours, we have a happy marriage, etc.

some people just don''t like it i guess! but if i don''t know about it''s past...i figure almost any stone i buy could be pre-worn. esp with all the buyback and trade in policies out there.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Nope!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think there is any way to tell if a stone hasn''t used. If the certification is very very recent, then there is a good chance, but you still don''t know for sure. I wouldn''t care if my stone was "used," wouldn''t bother me a bit if there was no damage or strain.

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
How would you ever know if a stone was used before? Come to think of it, I bet many of them have, no? Interesting concept.

I may be strange, but I definitely WOULD care if an ering was used before.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I don''t think I would care. But it''s a whole other ball of wax if a jeweler knew it was and didn''t disclose that info I guess. Hard to say, never gave it much thought.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
no!
And I would go for a used e-ring if it was antique or somehow very special to me.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
More diamonds have been recut than you will ever know. Old Mine to Round Brilliant. Slightly damaged to no visible damage. etc etc.

A diamond should be enjoyed and cherished by the person who wears it.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
I think it would be really hard to tell if a stone was used before.....when they are traded in, they are repoished if necessary, and they are often sent away for new certs...so it would be very difficult to tell.....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope dont care and neither does wifey2b.
She knows her diamond came from a pawn shop...
her comment was.. did you save money? I said yep ... she said kewl ...
:}

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Dosen''t bother me at all. A diamond is a diamond. I have bought previous owned diamonds.I am sure most of us have diamonds that have been handed down to us.I have a diamond that was my previous Hubby''s girlfriends...hehehe She wasn''t faithful, he took it back and I got it and still have it and it is a NICE one too!

Connie
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 9:03:15 PM
Author: strmrdr
Storm... your wifey2B is worth her weight in platinum!!!!
36.gif

I''m sure you''re looking forward to her arrival in early July ( I''ve forgetten the exact date)and you''re probably counting the days...

Why did you decide on an RB diamond instead of an asscher, if I may be so nosy as to inqure?
33.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
" previous Hubby''s girlfriend''s ring" That wouldn''t be acceptable to me, but as long as you don''t mind, that''s great.

I''m okay with a previously owned diamond if it was a family heirloom that has been handed down, etc., but from a previous relationship --sorry, not a chance in h***.
38.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 8:15:35 PM
Author: tracys126
How would you ever know if a stone was used before? Come to think of it, I bet many of them have, no? Interesting concept.

I may be strange, but I definitely WOULD care if an ering was used before.
Tracy, I don''t think you''re strange. I agree with you. It just bothers me for some reason to think someone had worn my ring, or stone, before. I want to be the first one wearing it. The cert is from 11/05, and we got it in 4/06, but as someone said, the lab report may be recent, but the diamond may be old.

Sujuann

Shiny_Rock
If the diamond was bought for a previous person... then I would absolutley have a problem with having that diamond presented to me. My feeling is that if my guy bought a diamond with someone else in mind and that relationship did not work out, I would not want that diamond for our new relationship. I wouldn''t want it because when it was bought, if was not bought with me in mind. That''s just how I feel.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I couldn''t handle a ering originally purchased for my FI''s ex, but I might be able to live with the diamond (remounted) as a RHR.

Regarding the bad karma of a diamond worn by an ax-murder victim: If I really really loved the diamond, I''d risk it and simply call it "interesting provenance".
5.gif

I guess I''m not too sentimental/superstitious...

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 10:05:25 PM
Author: widget
I couldn''t handle a ering originally purchased for my FI''s ex, but I might be able to live with the diamond (remounted) as a RHR.

Regarding the bad karma of a diamond worn by an ax-murder victim: If I really really loved the diamond, I''d risk it and simply call it ''interesting provenance''.
5.gif

I guess I''m not too sentimental/superstitious...

widget
LOL....."interesting provenance" for a great diamond worn by an ax-murder victim.

Snooper, you are just too funny!!!
36.gif

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Cool down....the diamond was in a pendent!!!! NOT AN ERING!!!!! Nope Notta..... I had another pendent made with it & looks nothing like before....

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
With polished diamonds, the concept of "used" is in the eye of the holder/potential holder, and is subjective
39.gif
1.gif
30.gif
29.gif
. The concept of "new or old" diamonds is more simple - unless it''s synthetic, it''s OLD - Billions of years OLD!!!
emsmileo.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 10:10:55 PM
Author: conitta
Cool down....the diamond was in a pendent!!!! NOT AN ERING!!!!! Nope Notta..... I had another pendent made with it & looks nothing like before....
Whew......What a relief!!! A pendant, you say; that''s a whole different story.

Thanks for the clarification.
36.gif

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 10:13:19 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
With polished diamonds, the concept of ''used'' is in the eye of the holder/potential holder, and is subjective
39.gif
1.gif
30.gif
29.gif
. The concept of ''new or old'' diamonds is more simple - unless it''s synthetic, it''s OLD - Billions of years OLD!!!
emsmileo.gif
LOL.....which means that LOTS of our diamonds have probably been recycled.............we just didn''t know it!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not know if it is possible to know the history as it were...meaning, did it get cut and sent loose right to the store or was it set in something, and if it is set, what the history is...it is pretty hard to track that, from what I can understand...does not really bug me but I would like to know there is no bad karma associated with it...like a divorce or something...but it is not like I can control it anyway...

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 10:18:37 PM
Author: isaku5

Date: 6/11/2006 10:10:55 PM
Author: conitta
Whew......What a relief!!! A pendant, you say; that''s a whole different story.

Thanks for the clarification.
36.gif
Most welcome....LOL! It is really a nice pendent with a halo. Her loss is my gain.She was
32.gif
nuts.The diamond was just sitting there so why the heck not!!!
31.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t care if it was a ''used" stone

In fact, since I gave back my .74 princess for my 1.53 Radiant, I know it will be used again! AND I SAW MY NEW STONE in the setting of the ring the other lady gave back for her upgrade!!!

Hers was a yellow gold solitaire band not like mine at all.. If the price is right, who cares..but I agree, not the whole ring, unless it is an antique, or a family piece!!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 7:17:58 PM
Author:kenny
I don''t.

BTW, I think it is impossible to know, with absolute certainty, that you are the first to wear ''your'' diamond.

I mean, what are they supposed to do when there is a death or divorce, throw the diamond away?
Hi Kenny ~
face23.gif

I personally think that all diamonds are probably "used" at some point. I don''t mind a "used" stone, as long as I know it''s used. Ie;bought from pawn shop, bought from estate sale, bought from my Brother in law''s monkey''s uncle, etc.

I personally wouldn''t want a used stone that was purchased with someone else in mind (any ex''s or past loves), yet at the same time I do not think it is practical for a man to "throw away" a diamond.

To answer your question ...

In the event of a death, I think it is appropriate to bestow a diamond of a departed loved one onto a cheerished family member wether it is in a setting or loose. Give it to the son or daughter as the diamond represents the love the parents had for each other, and the children are a result of that love.

In the event of a divorce, or ending of an engagement, I think it would be appropriate to "Trade in" previously "used" diamond for a different shape diamond, or different size diamond, and put into a new setting that would be for the "new" love of their life.

If anyone wants to throw away any diamonds ... I am within a stones throw!
2.gif

Have a great week!
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 9:31:49 PM
Author: isaku5
Date: 6/11/2006 9:03:15 PM

Author: strmrdr

Storm... your wifey2B is worth her weight in platinum!!!!
36.gif

I''m sure you''re looking forward to her arrival in early July ( I''ve forgetten the exact date)and you''re probably counting the days...

Why did you decide on an RB diamond instead of an asscher, if I may be so nosy as to inqure?
33.gif

That was before id ever seen an asscher.
But even today if I couldnt get something in the 3/4 ct size or bigger id likely go with a round.
I dont care for multi-diamond rings that much for an e-ring and an asscher needs to be around 5.5mm to get the full effect.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2006 11:54:37 PM
Author: Mrs Darlin Joy
Date: 6/11/2006 7:17:58 PM

Author:kenny

I don''t.

BTW, I think it is impossible to know, with absolute certainty, that you are the first to wear ''your'' diamond.

Hi Kenny ~
face23.gif

I personally think that all diamonds are probably ''used'' at some point. I don''t mind a ''used'' stone, as long as I know it''s used. Ie;bought from pawn shop, bought from estate sale, bought from my Brother in law''s monkey''s uncle, etc.

I personally wouldn''t want a used stone that was purchased with someone else in mind (any ex''s or past loves), yet at the same time I do not think it is practical for a man to ''throw away'' a diamond.

To answer your question ...

In the event of a death, I think it is appropriate to bestow a diamond of a departed loved one onto a cheerished family member wether it is in a setting or loose. Give it to the son or daughter as the diamond represents the love the parents had for each other, and the children are a result of that love.

In the event of a divorce, or ending of an engagement, I think it would be appropriate to ''Trade in'' previously ''used'' diamond for a different shape diamond, or different size diamond, and put into a new setting that would be for the ''new'' love of their life.

If anyone wants to throw away any diamonds ... I am within a stones throw!
2.gif

Have a great week!

35.gif

36.gif
well said
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol re: if anyone is throwing away diamonds, line me up too!!

it''s interesting because i bet alot of the diamonds out in circulation are ''used''... all those trade-ins and upgrades and wholesale stones?

one of the fun things about WF cutting their own diamonds is at least you know that some of their stuff (the new stuff i guess!) is newly cut from rough for them, so at least those are definitely not ''used''...BUT yes diamonds are billions of years old, probably here before even humans were!! so in terms of old or new...they are all old, but maybe not all ''used''?

part of what i like about older diamonds like OMC''s, OEC''s etc is that there is some history behind them there...people wore them for years and the older the better, the more intriguing to me. it''d be really cool if there was some sort of old stone database so you could see who owned them and for how long, esp for the really old vintage cuts. i''d love to know the history of some really interesting pieces!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn''t care one way or the other if my diamond was "pre-owned." I feel like we here on Earth are just a small piece of what''s going on in OUR particular universe, and we here on PS are just part of something of interest to a small amount of people who actually care about this sort of thing...I love diamonds, I love jewelry, but as far as whether I care who''s worn my diamond within the same lifetime as me--it''s just not a big deal.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results