Votes: 29 42.0%
  • No

Votes: 40 58.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I generally open the door. The only person/group I avoid is people prostlitizing (sp?) for certain religious orders, and sometimes I'll open the door even for them. I live in a "normal" neighborhood - not particularly bad, not particularly good.

Some considerations for me - I do have a security screen door that's almost always locked, which gives me some measure of safety. My front door has glass inserts that allow me to see who's out there. And...
I have NO problem telling somebody "NO".

To be honest, though, I opened the door even before I had the security screen door and the "no is a complete sentence" attitude and I did on occasion end up giving to some "charity" against my better judgement. In fact, there were one or two occasions when my neighborhood was much worse than it is today, when I answered the doorbell in the middle of the night - usually someone looking for a handout with the excuse that they needed the money to call someone or take a bus somewhere. :-o Not sure I'd do that these days - but then again, who knows?

I've also picked up hitchhikers on occasion, including a woman I picked up sorta in the middle of nowhere when I was on my way to see my parents last weekend. I dropped her of 20-30 miles later - and I'm very glad I was able to get her as far as I did.

ETA I totally understand the "hell, no" attitude, but frankly, it makes me a little sad.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1310690511|2969246 said:
Unless I can see who it is through the peephole thing and it's someone I want to talk to, no I do not answer the door. My neighborhood is reasonably safe but as far as I'm concerned no neighborhood is safe. A boy in Brooklyn was just found dismembered after attempting to walk seven blocks home from his day camp by a neighbor who abducted him. You never know what is lurking around the corner.

Ugh....I was just reading about this. HORRIBLE. Just absolutely sickening.

I never answer mine. I live in a gated community and still don't answer. I can peek from upstairs to see who is at the door down below. I have never had a friend drop by unannounced.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1310696351|2969340 said:
I answer the door during the day because it might be UPS or FedEx or the USPS with a package.

This made me rethink my answer, actually...at night I don't open the door for anyone, but if I'm at home before 6PM or so and someone knocks, I'll usually take a look through the peephole and open it for someone with a package or someone I recognize.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
It never occurred to me not to open our door. During the summer we leave the door open with just the screen on it for the breeze. Most of the time it's a neighbor or a delivery guy with a package or something. We live in an odd neighborhood out in the boonies so we really don't get salesmen or people trying to convert us.

ETA: By odd I don't mean full of weird people, I just mean it's small and a little hard to find so it has almost a small-town feel even though we're in a city--we also have the lowest crime rate of any neighborhood in our city.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
I look out of the window first to see if it's anyone I know. We have a couple of friends that just like to drop by from time to time. I actually wish they'd call first, so whatever I'm doing doesn't get interrupted. But I still answer, of course. Anyone else, I don't answer unless they are wearing a UPS outfit.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a wide-angle peep hole drilled in my door, so I can always see who is there. I open or not depending on who it is. Friends, sure. Strangers? Not so much, especially when I'm home alone. My husband usually does answer, but he's much fiercer looking. ;))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boy I must be a bit naive..or lucky I guess? I've never not answered the door, even growing up in the country we always answered. One night when we were little, middle of winter, horrible blizzard, the kind you can't see 2 inches in front of your face, there was a loud banging on the door and mom answered (after she made us go back to our rooms b/c it had woken us up it was so loud)..turned out to be neighbors whose car had broken down. How they found the house in all the snow, they didn't even know. They'd never have made it to the neighbors down the road, so unless they'd have broken in they'd have died. We don't get a lot of soul savers..probably b/c I grew up w/JW's and they know where I live so they skip over me. The other savers I had a nice talk w/and sent them around the corner to my JW Gramma. We rarely have salespeople come..once was vacuum's and another time college kids selling books. Recently was books and I wasn't home, JD and my parents were here, and I thought it was a scam and got scared so JD called the Chief of Police and they went out and stopped them and told them to get out of town. The city water guy has to come in the house to read the basement meter. My brother and parents know the key code to the door so they just waltz on in whenever..sometimes they call sometimes not.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I live in an apartment building that doesn't have any type of solicitations so that's not a problem. Whenever anyone knocks it's always been a package or the super or a neighbor warning about construction noise or something similar.

Eta- this has always been during "normal" hours though, if someone knocked in the middle of the night I wouldn't answer.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We live in a very quiet, very safe condo development neighborhood in a city. Our building is secure, but I tend not to answer the door unless I have invited someone over (or unless I see a neighbor through the peephole). I didn't grow up being that cautious though, and I'm not why I've changed. Growing up at my parents' house, we always had people drop by without being invited, and we always opened the door. In fact, friends just entered the house, often with just a few quick knocks.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I live in a gated neighborhood so there aren't many people who come knocking that we don't know. My front doors have big glass windows so you can see right into the house. I have children who run to see what's going on the minute the doorbell rings. But if I don't know the person I don't open the door, even if I come to see who it is/what they want. I can say "no thanks" right through the glass.

I am more likely to open it if my husband is home, but he's military and gone a lot so if I'm flying solo I am definitely not likely to answer.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
The majority of the time I open the door. Family and friends just drop in a lot and I have quite elderly neighbours so if one of them forgets to bring their key they sometimes knock and ask to come in until their DH/family gets home. If I was by myself at night, I don't answer the door.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I voted yes, but its never anyone I want to see so I shouldn't! My friends call in advance so the only people randomly stopping by are people soliciting donations for charity or "electrical company" representatives who need to see my last bill because for some reason the company doesn't keep records of these things (um not falling for that one) :roll:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We live in a pretty good neighborhood with relatively low crime. Our cul-de-sac has people visibly home during the day and a fair number of burly looking guys.

About 1/2 the time it is a neighbor knocking. The other 1/2 is the usual sales or people looking for donations.

Yes I answer. We have door answering procedures for the different situations and each have our part that we know and have practiced.

We had a situation a few months ago where a group we belong to had a bunch of information taken and members were targeted for home break-ins. We had two 20-somethings show up at our house and I am certain they were checking us out as a possible target. I believe that they did not come back because of our procedure. Had I not answered the door I think they would have been more likely to come back.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
mscushion|1310719859|2969493 said:
Anyone else, I don't answer unless they are wearing a UPS outfit.

A word of caution to those of you who have said you don't answer the door unless you see that it's a deliveryperson - don't let your guard down just because you see someone wearing a UPS/FedEx/DHL/USPS/whatever uniform. I have these uniforms, too, and do I or have I ever worked for any of these companies? Nope.

Just sayin'.

To answer the original question, no way do I ever answer my door unless I'm expecting someone. I also live in a restricted access apartment complex, but I still sometimes get people knocking at my door when I don't expect it. I don't even bother to see who it is because I really just don't care. If I'm not expecting you to come over, there's zero reason for you to be at my door.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always look to see who is at the door first, I got a small peephole or I can look out the window, if I dont know them, I dont answer it, if its someone I know I will answer, usually its the neighbor or someone looking for one of my son's. I live in a very small town of around 3000-3500 people and it is safe, very little crime..but you never know, its better to be safe then sorry.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1310748459|2969718 said:

A word of caution to those of you who have said you don't answer the door unless you see that it's a deliveryperson - don't let your guard down just because you see someone wearing a UPS/FedEx/DHL/USPS/whatever uniform. I have these uniforms, too, and do I or have I ever worked for any of these companies? Nope.

Just sayin'.

To answer the original question, no way do I ever answer my door unless I'm expecting someone. I also live in a restricted access apartment complex, but I still sometimes get people knocking at my door when I don't expect it. I don't even bother to see who it is because I really just don't care. If I'm not expecting you to come over, there's zero reason for you to be at my door.

The same warning for police and other uniforms too.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1310747270|2969710 said:
We live in a pretty good neighborhood with relatively low crime. Our cul-de-sac has people visibly home during the day and a fair number of burly looking guys.

About 1/2 the time it is a neighbor knocking. The other 1/2 is the usual sales or people looking for donations.

Yes I answer. We have door answering procedures for the different situations and each have our part that we know and have practiced.

We had a situation a few months ago where a group we belong to had a bunch of information taken and members were targeted for home break-ins. We had two 20-somethings show up at our house and I am certain they were checking us out as a possible target. I believe that they did not come back because of our procedure. Had I not answered the door I think they would have been more likely to come back.

What was the procedure?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1310750171|2969753 said:

What was the procedure?
I'm curious too but I wouldn't be surprised if TooPatient doesn't want to divulge that info. over the internet.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What was the procedure?

I'm not comfortable giving great detail, but I'll share some. (I should also mention that we do practice this so that no "accidents" happen)

Our first warning to anyone with less than friendly intentions is the sign from our monitored security system. Our porch light is on at all times when it is dark. We also have a 65ish pound dog who likes to pretend she's vicious. (her bark/growl really is impressive)

For evening knocks at the door, I am the one to answer the door. The door is only opened after both of us are in position. My leg blocks the door to prevent forcing and I am open-carrying (holstered but ready to go) a full-size handgun. FI is ready in his position in case he is needed.

Daytime alone and not-alone procedures are different. Not alone is substantially less cautious.

FWIW, we have given great thought to what to do in different situations and even consulted the police (who fully support our night procedure). We have never had anyone legitimate show up after the cul-de-sac is empty at dark. (sales people come when it is light). Other neighbors have similar plans in place. Neighborhoods near us have had problems with "sales people" checking out homes and then breaking in. Ours has never had a problem.

The problem with NOT answering the door is that there is the possibility of a neighbor needing help and we'd feel bad if we ignored them and the people who check out homes tend to go back to those that they think are empty (or as mentioned earlier will just break in if you don't answer) but more often than not will come up with some excuse ("do you want to buy ___?") and then leave if you answer.

Before the shock and lecture, we have a gated back yard and the gates don't just open. There is nothing blocking the view of any of the ground floor windows and nothing so bushy as to hide a person. Lighting is important to security. Cameras are cheap. Our security system sign is there because we actually DO have a monitored security system with sensors for doors/windows and additional sound/motion detectors strategically placed. There are wired phones in known places and cell phones in known places. Certain rooms have locks. Certain rooms have alternate exits. We do have plans. All of our plans start with being cautious (seen to be alert & prepared), relying on the monitored system, having alternative means of calling for help should the monitored system be compromised, having plans of which room to head to in different situations, and locks to slow down an intruder so that (hopefully) the police can arrive and handle the situation. If all of that is not enough, we have the supplies and training to protect ourselves. (as in, it is the LAST thing we turn to when everything else has failed)

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I have a little videophone and intercom so even unexpected visitors will buzz in before they get up to the unit, so it is pretty surprise free. Otherwise, no, I would never answer the door.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
The last time I did scared the crap out of me. My husband frequently would knock, usually if he had a bunch of groceries and wanted me to open the door. He was at the grocery store, and then awhile later I heard someone knock. I assumed, obviously, that it was him.

Big mistake. These two crack heads were selling "magazine subscriptions". I said no thanks and then the cat darted out. So I had to herd him inside and I was like, gotta go, cat's trying to escape bye! Went to shut the door. One of them stuck his foot in the door to block me closing it. He said "What, so you care more about your cat than America's youth?"- in a threatening way. I was getting angry and scared and I said "Yes!" (which I probably shouldn't have, but I do have a temper.) I honestly can't remember how I got the door shut- if I just went to slam it (it was a heavy, heavy metal door) and left him to decide to let me squish his foot with it, or if he'd taken it out while lecturing me, or what.

I was freaking out pretty hard. My husband just burst inside right after they left, and before I could say anything he was like "What happened? Are you OK?" For some reason he'd had a really bad feeling, cut his grocery shopping short and hurried home to check on me.

Anyway, now he doesn't knock unless he really has to. Luckily now we live in a place that the front door is protected inside a locked building so nobody can just walk up to the door and knock without having a key to the outside and knowing exactly where we are. That's a relief.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I have an alarm system and camera whenever someone pulls into the driveway so I can see who is coming. I do tell people to call before they come because I don't always hear the doorbell and the dog ignores the bell as well. We have had a number of people come up to the door unsolicited and we have an ordinance in our town about door to door sales so someone is always bound to call the police.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1310752941|2969787 said:

What was the procedure?

I'm not comfortable giving great detail, but I'll share some. (I should also mention that we do practice this so that no "accidents" happen)

Our first warning to anyone with less than friendly intentions is the sign from our monitored security system. Our porch light is on at all times when it is dark. We also have a 65ish pound dog who likes to pretend she's vicious. (her bark/growl really is impressive)

For evening knocks at the door, I am the one to answer the door. The door is only opened after both of us are in position. My leg blocks the door to prevent forcing and I am open-carrying (holstered but ready to go) a full-size handgun. FI is ready in his position in case he is needed.

Daytime alone and not-alone procedures are different. Not alone is substantially less cautious.

FWIW, we have given great thought to what to do in different situations and even consulted the police (who fully support our night procedure). We have never had anyone legitimate show up after the cul-de-sac is empty at dark. (sales people come when it is light). Other neighbors have similar plans in place. Neighborhoods near us have had problems with "sales people" checking out homes and then breaking in. Ours has never had a problem.

The problem with NOT answering the door is that there is the possibility of a neighbor needing help and we'd feel bad if we ignored them and the people who check out homes tend to go back to those that they think are empty (or as mentioned earlier will just break in if you don't answer) but more often than not will come up with some excuse ("do you want to buy ___?") and then leave if you answer.

Before the shock and lecture, we have a gated back yard and the gates don't just open. There is nothing blocking the view of any of the ground floor windows and nothing so bushy as to hide a person. Lighting is important to security. Cameras are cheap. Our security system sign is there because we actually DO have a monitored security system with sensors for doors/windows and additional sound/motion detectors strategically placed. There are wired phones in known places and cell phones in known places. Certain rooms have locks. Certain rooms have alternate exits. We do have plans. All of our plans start with being cautious (seen to be alert & prepared), relying on the monitored system, having alternative means of calling for help should the monitored system be compromised, having plans of which room to head to in different situations, and locks to slow down an intruder so that (hopefully) the police can arrive and handle the situation. If all of that is not enough, we have the supplies and training to protect ourselves. (as in, it is the LAST thing we turn to when everything else has failed)

Too Patient, wow, I'm really impressed with all your security measures! You guys are smart. You said you live in a pretty safe neighborhood though, right? Are you and FI just extra cautious, just in case?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
We get a lot of solicitors and our subdivision is fairly active with lots of people...so I have a "No Soliciting" sign near our door bell. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...just last night, as we were taking our first bites of dinner, "Knock knock" at the door, a young girl selling magazines. :shock: Umm, honey, if you can't READ, then why should I buy magazines from you?!?!/ :roll: Ticks me off to NO END that people will still knock despite our sign.

I also think about the knock before a break in scenario...sometimes I go to the door, with my phone at my ear and wave, like I am on the phone and busy...other times I ignore it....

and believe me, NICE neighborhoods are NOT immune to day time home invasions, criminals seek out NICE places because that is where the good stuff is! :|

Friends of my parents, who live in a very upscale community, had a daytime home invasion last month. He was in the basement working and she was napping and neither went to answer the door. They heard the dog barking and he went upstairs and found two guys dressed as repairmen in the main hallway. He started screaming and yelling and chased them out of the house...there was a getaway car in the street and a look out car at the entrance of their neighborhood. So please don't think a nice neighborhood/area will protect you from this stuff.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, it never even dawned on me not to answer the door! Weird as it may sound to some, I guess I just think that there's a slight chance it might be important (what, I don't know - a neighbor in trouble or something)- or that it's rude to sit in the house and just ignore the door - or that I feel foolish for hiding in my house. Of course, it's almost always a solicitor or someone trying to get business for their painting service, home repair, etc. and then I curse myself for answering the door! This thread has been helpful to me in making me realize it's ok not to answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone. The only thing is we occasionally get fed-ex packages I have to sign for, but I can see the truck outside from the second floor.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
No - totally for security reasons. I live in an apartment building so I'm not likely to get door-to-door salesmen at my door (pesky people passing flyers on the street however :angryfire: )

We've had too many strangers just appear in our building, I don't respond to the buzzer unless I'm expecting a delivery and I don't answer the door unless I hear a neighbor's voice on the other side.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow.
I had no idea so many people did not answer their door.
I thought I was the only one.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our door is almost all glass, so if I don't know who it is, I don't answer it. We have an intercom and I ask who it is if they are really
persistant. Our door is kept locked most of the time.

We do not live in a high crime area, but a pretty safe neighborhood. All it takes is one person checking out the house though, so I would
rather be safe than sorry.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1310748459|2969718 said:

Just sayin'.

Thanks for the advice. How come you have the uniforms if you don't work for them?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results