shape
carat
color
clarity

Do things about your SO drive you crazy sometimes?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
He doesn't annoy me at all. I drive him up the wall. I leave all the cabinets open. I leave my laundry all over. I take out snuggle blankets for the couch then don't put them back in the chest they belong in. He does the laundry, but then I don't put mine away and leave it in the hampers. Then I end up digging through them in a panic 4 minutes before I have to be somewhere. My makeup is all over the bathroom. Maybe one person is destined to be the annoyer and the other is destined to be the annoyed.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Beyond his random household annoyances and his inability to sleep without completely destroying the covers, the real thing that drives me up a wall is his iPhone addiction.

When we met he had a flip phone with the ability to make phone calls and kind of text. Those were the days... I think the iPhone has given him ADD. I am pretty sure the only reason he got through our wedding day without his phone was because everyone who calls or texts was there!

I legitimately hate his phone.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1318380090|3038174 said:
Dani|1318377515|3038136 said:
Luv2Sparkle, LOL!!! I think we *may* be married to the same man!!! ;))

MH takes SO LONG to tell a story....I feel bad, sometimes my mind starts to wander when he's talking to me.... Then he'll reference the conversation or situation in the future and I totally won't remember because I never paid attention in the first place!!!! :))

ps- I do the same thing with the phone! I am a horrible wife!

Dani, our record for calls from the station before cell phones was 188 minutes. Who do you think did most of the talking?
I don't even keep track now with cell to cell. My tell, for time to get off the phone is "Well honey, that's about it." Even when I have hardly said a word.

Ok, and he is a packrat. The man doesn't want to throw away anything. I am a pitch-er so I guess we balance. He has nightstand issues too, but with magazines. Next to his side of the bed he has boxes and two huge bags he takes to work. I have never seen a man carry so much stuff with him. I got him a kindle hoping it would take care of some of it, but no. Now he has all the magazines and books AND a kindle.

I would take magazines over the crusty old retainer I have to look at every morning! I got him a little container to put it in, but now he sits it on his nightstand, on top of the container!

These things don't really bug me all that much. Well I mean they gross me out a bit, but I'm getting used to it.

ETA: One time I walked in to the bedroom and saw our cat licking the retainer. I have to wonder how many times she's done it without getting caught...

April20

Ideal_Rock
I can actually only think of two tshings DH does that drive me nuts. His list of what i do is probably a mile long!

1. He chew really, really loudly. It really makes me insane. I HATE hearing loud eating. But i bite my tongue. It woukd not go over well if i really made an issue of it and it's just too stupid a thing to ever fight over.

2. He will make us late leaving to finish up dishes. Yes, i know i should be glad he does them. I am. But when we are already late and it's just a glass, it makes me crazy.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm pretty sure no matter how much you adore someone, living in close proximity with anybody makes you want to smack them on a fairly regular basis!

-The soup slurping. It's my absolute least favorite husband habit ever. I can beg him, tease him, get mad, ask nicely... no dice. He will slurp soup like a frigging vacuum cleaner. In nice restaurants, at home, wherever there is soup. I love soup but I don't make it much anymore because it leads to me wanting to staple his lips shut. I've actually asked him *why* soup must be slurped. Apparently, he says it doesn't taste good unless you slurp it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

-Total financial spaciness. I do *everything* financial and he still manages to bounce our checking account every six months or so because he forgets to give me receipts and/or tell me what he bought. (I don't keep most of our money in personal checking, so it's pretty easy to bounce it if I'm not sure what's going through it.) I tend to just give him cash so he can't use his debit card and create havoc, but he still does it.

-The cats are both of ours, I know he loves them, but he will NOT take care of them. If they run out of food when I'm not here, he won't feed them most of the time, he wouldn't touch the litter box with a ten foot pole, and up until this year when Rat got so sick he'd never had to deal with a vet appointment EVER. At least he was willing to take Rat in while I was at work a couple of times, so points for that I guess.

-He's a huge hypochondriac. Every last sniffle or bruise is incipient cancer or looming death, and I spend a ridiculous amount of time reassuring him he's not dying of a cold or whatever. (My best friend is also the exact same way- between the two of them, I swear, I want to knock their heads together every so often! I had to patiently explain to her last week that she didn't have bone cancer, she had shin splints from jogging barefoot.)

-The jokes! He repeats the same ones. We drive past hay bales wrapped in plastic every time we leave town (which we do a few times a week). Every flippin' time he says "Look, a marshmallow farm." It was funny once, 15 years ago mayyyyybe. Not so much the 8 zillionth time! And if I say something funny, he doesn't laugh- he'll repeat what I said right back to me and THEN expect *me* to laugh! It's just weird. :confused:

-And my very least favorite thing- he is the sort of person that every last thing that he thinks comes out of his mouth. You don't get the polite white lie, ever, like "yes honey, I know I'm hell to shop for but thanks for the birthday present you agonized over for months!" Instead, he will tell you exactly why he hates whatever you bought him.

The thing is, though, that the good outweighs the bad by a huge amount. He's the sort of person that would do absolutely ANYTHING for someone he considers a friend, he is extremely affectionate and loving, and he adores the cats and will snuggle them just as much as I do. He's not petty, he has a huge heart and is extraordinarily honorable and honest, both with himself and others. I'm actually not that annoy-able generally, so most of it I let slide, and patiently reassure him for the millionth time that the mole on his leg isn't cancerous, give him cash, and sort through his receipts. He also does the bulk of the housework- I'm a giant mess monster and he patiently picks up after me all the time, as I pile stuff everywhere without realizing it. (Though I do bitch about the soup slurping!)

We are also ridiculously opposite in some ways. He jokes that I'm the "strong silent type" and he is the stereotypical girly type who needs to talk about everything, dissect it to death, and if I don't listen it bugs him. It's not my fault I find the sound of his voice very... restful... when we're driving! :naughty: It is true though, that I am totally not talkative and he is a blabbermouth.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course. LOL. I love him but that doesn't mean that I don't contemplate smothering him with a pillow when he's being a PITA.

I just looked at him and said, "What things do you do that drive me up the wall?"

"It's a long list..." he says wide eyed in amazement.

"I know," I respond, "just give me a few." :bigsmile:

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock
lulu|1318380388|3038179 said:
My husband does conversation by ambush. If I'm walking through a room, clearly intending to leave that room (my arms are full of laundry) he'll start a conversation and expects me to drop everything and listen.
Oh Gawd Yes. Like a child that suddenly wants to talk to you when you're talking to someone else. Drives me crazy (but cracks me up too).

He also used to interrupt, a lot. But he's gotten much better about not doing that. The shhhushing helps.

Thankfully we're both very quick to laugh. Gets us through a lot of *stuff*. :)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK -- marshmallow farm...hehehe... :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

April20

Ideal_Rock
I just remembered the #1 thing that DH does that drives me flipping INSANE.

When i cook, i get out everything i need and put it to my right. As i use things, i put them to the left and at junctures, i put up what i have used. DH is OCD about the kitchen. He is constantly cleaning behind me, around me, over me. And he likes things put away. I cannot tell you how many times I have reached for the next ingredient only to find it has been put away. It drives me insane. I have explained how i do things a zillion times, yet he still put things up i havent used and washes dishes and utensils I'm not done with!

I suppose i should be glad dude cleans the kitchen, but he makes me NUTS sometimes!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
My husband is a wonderful, loving person, but after living together for almost 7 years, he definitely gets on my nerves...

-His life revolves around sports. If an important game is on (which seems to be every other day) he absolutely can not make any kind of plans or be asked to go to the gym, the store, etc.
-He is addicted to his xbox, his computer, his cell phone, and Monster energy drinks (and he leaves the cans all over the house).
-He, like most men, can't seem to aim IN the toilet. Its now his permanent job to clean the bathroom because I refuse to.

Those are the top 3 that come to mind but there are more. And I know he has plenty of gripes about me...

-I have too many clothes and they are all over the bedroom.
-I never put the dishes in the dishwasher.
-I spend too much time on pricescope :wink2:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
- Uptight
- Anxious
- "Stick to the point" (he is a scientist)
- "I am getting bald" (look at Bruce Willis and stop whining!)
- "We can get a better deal" (Stop here! How good a deal can be?)
- Poor sleep and crankiness the next morning. Refuses to take sleeping meds.
Big-time thing: he buys me jewelry that his mother would have liked...

- He likes stupid comedies, and I like serious, sad movies.
- He is not into books, or at least, not into serious books. (Ba-ad!)
- He does not understand jokes. Very bad. Especially since my older son has hilarious sense of humor.

Redeeming thing: He listens to my stories about gems, minerals and pegmatite rocks...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
LGK|1318396191|3038361 said:
Well, I'm pretty sure no matter how much you adore someone, living in close proximity with anybody makes you want to smack them on a fairly regular basis!rmouth.

Exactly!

Some people are more irritable than others. My husband is very easy going and I can honestly say he never complains about me! Of course, I am a very annoying person, but it is a testament to him that he does not seem to notice or mind.

I am irritated by him on a daily basis 8) Too many little things to list, but one is that he wants to hug or cuddle me when I am trying to do something. I will be walking to the laundry and he will grab me for a hug.

I suppose I sound like an insane woman to complain about such a thing ;)) but he likes more contact and closeness than I do and seems to always want it when I am busy! Like cooking, or on my way to the bathroom.

Now I sound mental. "My husband wants to touch me! Ick!" :lol:

Anyways, he also leaves his dirty undies on the floor and the dog chews holes in them and then he complains about the dog. How is that? Better?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, my husband is the same way and it annoys me too, so don't feel bad! Its so funny to me that someone else shares this complaint :bigsmile:

We were married in a church and had to go to a marraige prep course to see what our "love language" is and his was touch and affection and mine was helping out and gift giving. So true.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1318446201|3038731 said:
Dreamer, my husband is the same way and it annoys me too, so don't feel bad! Its so funny to me that someone else shares this complaint :bigsmile:

We were married in a church and had to go to a marraige prep course to see what our "love language" is and his was touch and affection and mine was helping out and gift giving. So true.
Ditto, ditto. I feel like the kitty in the Pepe Le Pew comics frequently. I mean I like affection and snuggling but not as much as he does, the man is an octopus, for reals. He wasn't hugged much as a child so I think he makes up for lost time.

I actually almost never lean over anymore because I swear to god he'll materialize out of thin air- even if he's somewhere totally else- just in time to whack my butt. And then cackle gleefully as I squawk with surprise. If I have to bend over and get something I swear it's like a stealth ninja operation and I twitch the whole time!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I thought of more things.

He runs late a lot. He's actually very good when we're going somewhere together, but when left on his own, he has a hard time showing up on time.

He presses snooze all the time. I get up within a few minutes of waking up, but he could let the snooze go off 5 times before rolling out of bed.

He snores.

He's sort of addicted to hockey on his X-Box.

When he cooks, he makes a huge mess. I prefer to clean up and put things away as I go. I find this more amusing than annoying, I guess. As long as he puts stuff away and cleans up afterward, I'm generally okay with it. If I have to clean up after his messes, I get grumpy.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
OMG the evil snooze button. And my DH has and alarm clock AND his mobile to wake him up in the morning. Except he doesn't wake up some mornings and just snoozes, and snoozes and snoozes. The first 4 months we lived together I was getting like 2 hrs of sleep a night between the dog crying and his snoozing. Now I just let the dog sleep with us, and if I *really* can't sleep while he's snoozing, I just get up.

DH has the tendency to "rain on my parade" sometimes, nothing major, but it happens. Example, I tell him (all excited), "Oooh, I'm going to hit the gym at lunchtime, because I can!" His first response, "It'll probably be crowded. Or you'll have a meeting."

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
LGK said:
Ditto, ditto. I feel like the kitty in the Pepe Le Pew comics frequently. I mean I like affection and snuggling but not as much as he does, the man is an octopus, for reals. He wasn't hugged much as a child so I think he makes up for lost time.

I actually almost never lean over anymore because I swear to god he'll materialize out of thin air- even if he's somewhere totally else- just in time to whack my butt. And then cackle gleefully as I squawk with surprise. If I have to bend over and get something I swear it's like a stealth ninja operation and I twitch the whole time!

:lol: Too funny, I didn't think men should be more affectionate than women. Don't get me wrong, I like affection, just not when I'm in the middle of vacuuming or making dinner.

I forgot there is one other thing about my DH that drives me nuts! - He mumbles and then gets annoyed when I have to constantly ask him to repeat himself.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
These are hilarious. I am not proud of this, but I am an incredibly irritable person and a lot of little things (like noises, table manners, clutter) annoy me. I hate that about myself, and poor DH gets the brunt of it. He is a procrastinator, indecisive, refuses to plan anything in advance, is constantly running late, a little messy. But on the other hand, he is a complete saint because he puts up with me.

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
He is NOT handy. I am sort of the man in the house when it comes to minor repairs, installations, painting, maintenance. Sometimes I get tired of doing all that stuff by myself. If it's something we have to hire out, I typically have to deal w/ the contractor.

He will not empty the little indoor recycling into the bin in the garage when it is full. Like EVER.

He will not empty the dishwasher/put away clean dishes.

He has a ton of magazine subscriptions and they all sit around cluttering up the joint. He doesn't read them. He renews them annually despite this.

He is too easily annoyed if the kitties outside are meowing or try to come inside sometimes (the previous owners of our house abandoned them so they hang around and I feed them and stuff) and likewise is irritated too easily by my chihuahua.

He doesn't grasp the concept of having a place for things and putting them away when he's finished w/ them. In common areas of our home he has improved vastly. But in his spaces and his car, it's a disaster.

He's a bit of a hoarder. He's disorganized, can't find something, gets another one, loses it too, rinse, repeat.

On the flipside - he does put his dirty laundry in the hamper. He does not leave shoes/clothes all over the house. He is for some reason obsessive about taking care of the wood floors. He very rarely sets foot in a grocery store, but when he does, he always gets a treat for me. He helped me build a shelter for the kitties and even tho they annoy him sometimes he can't resist petting them. He is very thoughtful towards his parents/grandparents.

What I do that annoys him:

Interrupt him sometimes, tho I think I am improving.
Run late all the time.
Take forever when I am out running errands.
Leave doors ajar/open.
Snooze multiple times in the morning before getting up.
Won't use dishwasher - other than as a drain rack after hand-washing.
Putz around the house too much doing random things instead of watching movies w/ him and such on weekends.
General poor time management.
Obsess over small details of things, ask him for his opinion, tho he could care less, immediately disregard it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Big-time thing: he buys me jewelry that his mother would have liked...
:lol: :lol: Crasru, I just love you!!

I have an exceptional husband: he is NEVER wrong. Must be Einstein in disguise. I ask him if it's a burden to be so perfect & he says it can weigh on him. I have to give him points for living with me, who points out his little errors fairly often! :naughty:

He makes gulping noises when drinking anything, drives me up a wall!

He chews gum -- ooohhhh yack I do hate that! At least he'll ace it if I ask him to.

DH is Dutch -- that means tact is a silly waste of time. Holy mackeral, the wars declared, feelings hurt, over 3 decades! He has improved, probably in self-preservation; he was in danger of being smacked dead with a frying pan!

But he loves all the animals I collect, walks the dogs, cuddles the cats & doesn't complain about the zillions of bucks in vet bills. And he has stopped complaining WHEN I BUY GEMS :love: & patiently listens while I detail all their attributes, when for all the enjoyment he gets, I could be holding up a piece of gravel for him to admire.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1318529184|3039477 said:

Oh the gulping! :knockout:
I try to leave the tv or music on but he'll walk into the room and just GULLLP

Flossing -- I know it is important, but he is the lowdest flosser I've ever met. He flosses nightly in the master bathroom with the water running. I can still hear him all the way in the kitchen. This awful "flick flick flick flick sproing" sort of thing for each.and.every tooth. Makes my mouth hurt just to think about that sound! (of course I'm having some tooth problems so I may be overly sensitive to any sort of tooth related noises)

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1318529184|3039477 said:

Had a coworker who did this that used to sit next to me. Drove me insane. SO LOUD. And so THIRSTY. She was a smoker. Between the hacking/coughing/gulping I came to nearly despise her, though she was perfectly nice :sick: .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results