shape
carat
color
clarity

DO NOT SHOP AT STARCO

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

danandmare

Rough_Rock
I want to warn everyone out there about STARCO JEWELLERS in the Sydney area. I bought a Diamond solitaire from there Rhodes store in June 06. We thought it was a 1.20 I si 1. We were also told it was DCLA certified but told it would cost an extra $120. We did not have the money at the time. We contacted the store mid February 07 to obtain the cert for insurance purposes and were told to ring the owner Jack. When contacted by my partner he requested that she text him her name and number as he would have to get back to her. Having heard nothing she rang him back and was then accused of swapping the stone and why should he have to do a cert so far after the purchase. he was very rude to her and after hanging up I rang to get an idea of the situation. He found our purchase records and stated that the stone was not certified by DCLA contrary to our dealings with the manager of Rhodes. We then contacted DCLA as we were worried about how Jack was handling this. They informed us that we needed to give jack the opportunity to certify the stone. DCLA also informed us by sight and still set in the ring that this stone was not what was stated in the valuation provided by STARCO. We proceeded to go to the Burwood STARCO store to provide Jack with the ring to get certified. Immediately on entery to the store and speaking with Jack he accused us of swapping the stone then offered us our money back, which we refused. We stated that we wanted what was on the valuation certificate. He called his father in and they both began to converse between themselves in a foreign language. They continued to measure the stone and accuse us of swapping the stone. we assured them it wasnt. They again offered our money back. We got quite angry by this time. They brought a big muscly guy to stand behind me to watch me and try and intimidate us. He said he would send it in for certification and would take a week and continued to say he would refund but would do what was best for both parties. A week went by and DCLA never received the stone. After more rude phone calls from jack we refused to speak to him any longer and DCLA became mediators. Jack was then given a deadline of a week to produce the stone to be certified or produce what was stated on the valuation.This dedaline was yet again passed without action. We still refused to take anything less then what we were supposed to have bought. He then produced a stone of 1.11 I si 1. We also refused to take this. We then contacted the media and fairtrading to help us get action. This was a frustrating process but finally we were contacted by Channel 7''s today tonight. We gave him the details of our fight. In the mean time Jack offered a second stone of 1.01 G si 1. We again refused at which time Jack said we either take it or lump it. We advised DCLA that this was not good enough. They instructed Jack to produce the old stone and setting so that they eveidence so that we could take the issue further. He finally produced these items but instructed DCLA that he was sending the supplier to pick up the first replacement stone. At this time he was advised that the stone would not be released until we had viewed the stone and agreed to take it, which we had no intention of doing. Channel 7 Then contacted us to say they were going take the story on. We went to DCLA to have the interview. At which time we saw the smaller stone. All the while jack was saying he was going to call the media and atke us to court if we didnt accept this stone. After the interview Channel 7 contacted Jack to say theyt had a story to go. He told them he was trying to find the stone we were owed and that he could not find it in Australia. We were informed of this and within 1 phone call and about 3 min we found 2 stones from a dealer. Channel 7 and DCLA informed him of this and by late afternoon a stone magically appeared from him a 1.20 I vs2.
This was a 5 week ordeal which caused a huge amount of stress an anguish for both of us. This ring means so much to us as it was paid for by my patners inheritance from her dead father. This company has no morals and is not to be trusted. Anyone out there that is considering a purchase of any jewellery do not go here. If you have purchased from this store.Take your diamond and your certification to DCLA to have it checked. If it is other jewellery take it to another jeweller to have it certified. Please spread the word to all that STARCO MUST BE STOPPED FROM CHEATING THE PUBLIC. WE DONT WANT OTHERS TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS. IF YOU FIND YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WE HAVE CONTACT NUMBERS FOR THE MEDIA AND GOVT DEPT''S. FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME WITH QUESTIO

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sorry, I''m not trying to be rude, but didn''t they need to protect their own interests, too? After such a long time I think it was pretty fair that they offered you all of your money back. And several replacements that may have been a suitable swap. I imagine a 1 caratish G SI-1 is pretty equal to a 1.2 I SI 1. Why was it necessary for them to replace the stone with one better what you started with (VS 2 vs SI 1).? I don''t understand the problem
33.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
This seems like a huge overreaction. Why not take the money back (which they offered you 3 or 4 times) and then get another stone somewhere else? It''s not like they are the only people that sell diamonds. What a huge waste of time.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 8:11:18 PM
Author:danandmare
We were also told it was DCLA certified but told it would cost an extra $120.
They were prepared to sell a certified stone without the cert for $120 less? Weird....

Having heard nothing she rang him back and was then accused of swapping the stone and why should he have to do a cert so far after the purchase.

They accused you of swapping the stone over the phone, without even seeing it, just because you asked for it's cert? I could imagine that they would (rightfully) refuse to do a cert given the possibility that you could have swapped the stone, but accusing you of actually doing it? Are you sure about this?

If you have purchased from this store.Take your diamond and your certification to DCLA to have it checked

It's simply too late, and open to much abuse. Nearly all stone-swapping court cases find the customer or someone else in the chain guilty--not the vendor, and if you went to court too, you'd probably lose. Think about it, vendors have simply too much too at stake for relatively little gain, customer's have little at stake, for great gain.

You'd win on TV though, even if you did swap out the stone. The threat of bad press can make people do anything if it's the smarter option in the long run.

I believe you were wronged, especially because the vendor offered your money back, but you can't expect the vendor not sus you out first. Only YOU know you are innocent. In fact, many cases have the wife finally admitting she swapped the stone with him standing there totally shocked.

I'm surprised the DCLA took you seriously and find Channel 7 irresponsible for being willing to shame the store going by your word only. Once you leave the store, it gets all fuzzy.

If people are happy with their purchase, there's no need to suggest to them that they might have been swindled and also send them through anguish. I have happy friends come up to me all the time asking if they got a good deal--I've never told one yet they didn't, because regardless if they overpaid or not, they are happy. Diamonds carry fictitious prices anyway.

The real message here is to not to buy without the report, and either learn how to verify the stone yourself before you leave the store, or have the store send it to a reputable appraiser for verification before you pick it up.

I'm sorry you had to go through such an ordeal.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, now I''m totally adding fuel to the fire
11.gif
, but this is bothering me: Does Channel 7 news really have nothing more pressing to report on?

danandmare-I really do think you may have overacted. Buying an engagement ring can be an emotional purchase, and perhaps you didn''t receive top-notch service, but I hardly think these people deserve any more abuse. You''ve argued with them, refused to take any of their offers to make the situation better, STUCK A TV CREW in their faces, and are now trashing them on a public forum. Umm...uncle. You ended up better off than how you started and for no extra money. Really, you should let it go....

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 12:07:08 AM
Author: Siamese Kitty
11.gif
, but this is bothering me: Does Channel 7 news really have nothing more pressing to report on?
It''s actually a current affair show that follows the news, but yes, they have nothing better to report on. I once saw a story on these shows about a 240 pound guy ''shaming'' an $7 all-you-can-eat Indian buffet for banning him because he was eating 5 pounds of tandoori chicken, 8 bowls of rice, 12 naans....

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 1:09:39 AM
Author: stebbo

Date: 3/22/2007 12:07:08 AM
11.gif
It''s actually a current affair show that follows the news, but yes, they have nothing better to report on. I once saw a story on these shows about a 240 pound guy ''shaming'' an $7 all-you-can-eat Indian buffet for banning him because he was eating 5 pounds of tandoori chicken, 8 bowls of rice, 12 naans....
Yikes! Well, I guess that makes sense then. Off topic, but I must add that my dad and I got asked once by a manager at Sizzler, "Don''t you think you''ve had your share?"
3.gif
One of the funniest things that''s ever happened to me!

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 1:37:31 AM

Yikes! Well, I guess that makes sense then. Off topic, but I must add that my dad and I got asked once by a manager at Sizzler, ''Don''t you think you''ve had your share?''
3.gif
A waitress at Sizzler once told me they get people coming in as soon as the doors open who stay the whole day! I think you should have called the TV crew.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 1:42:16 AM
Author: stebbo

Date: 3/22/2007 1:37:31 AM

Yikes! Well, I guess that makes sense then. Off topic, but I must add that my dad and I got asked once by a manager at Sizzler, ''Don''t you think you''ve had your share?''
3.gif
A waitress at Sizzler once told me they get people coming in as soon as the doors open who stay the whole day! I think you should have called the TV crew.
11.gif
3.gif

mosher

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 9:13:38 PM
I''m sorry, I''m not trying to be rude, but didn''t they need to protect their own interests, too? After such a long time I think it was pretty fair that they offered you all of your money back. And several replacements that may have been a suitable swap. I imagine a 1 caratish G SI-1 is pretty equal to a 1.2 I SI 1. Why was it necessary for them to replace the stone with one better what you started with (VS 2 vs SI 1).? I don''t understand the problem
33.gif

Hi Siamese Kitty

I agree with you why should the jeweller have to answer to this customer. She never got the cert to protect herself. If he made a mistake and set the wrong stone at least he fixed it when he was caught, no harm done.

41.gif
She is better off now anyway right?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear your awful experiences, hopefully you''ll hope someonen else with your posts.

danandmare

Rough_Rock
Siamese kitty.
Sorry i may have left some detail out of my story. The diamond we actually received was barely a ct j-k in colour and p1. We were mislead by this store and there are many other stories we have found out since we started our fight. This is why we fought so hard. We stupidly took a half price deal. The ring was advertised for 9990 reduced 4450. we took it trusting that the valuation was correct and that we could pay for the cert at a later date. Channel 7 were the only real help we got as fair trading take far too long to help the consumer. We made mistakes taking the word of the store but he owed us what we thought we were buying in the first place. I admit I didnt know the value attached to each size of stone. I have been rudely awakened to the whole thing. We are not the only people that have been shafted by this jeweller. We just want to make sure others dont make the same mistakes. We know now how to check our purchases and to be careful.There are so many people that dont know and we now want to help educate them so this doesnt happen to them.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
I would have accepted the refund at the first opportunity and run!

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 6:03:24 AM
Author: danandmare
The diamond we actually received was barely a ct j-k in colour and p1.

Now, THAT makes a LOT more sense. That was indeed the most important tidbit that you left out of your story. Now I understand why you were upset.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 7:17:26 AM
Author: MiniMouse
I would have accepted the refund at the first opportunity and run!

Mini:

I totally agree! Admittedly, a bad experience for this poor couple; but an offer of $$ back so you can have a "do-over" someplace else? Easy answer - take the refund (and your business) to another vendor. Fast!

-J

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I thought there must have been more to the story! Like the others have said, I would have taken the refund and run-if anything, just to escape the drama! (I've seen your post on here and on the "other diamond forum") But I am sorry if you felt I made light of your situation and I'm happy to hear that it was resolved.

eta: spelling

mosher

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 6:03:24 AM
Author: danandmare
Siamese kitty.
Sorry i may have left some detail out of my story. The diamond we actually received was barely a ct j-k in colour and p1. We were mislead by this store and there are many other stories we have found out since we started our fight. This is why we fought so hard. We stupidly took a half price deal. The ring was advertised for 9990 reduced 4450. we took it trusting that the valuation was correct and that we could pay for the cert at a later date. Channel 7 were the only real help we got as fair trading take far too long to help the consumer. We made mistakes taking the word of the store but he owed us what we thought we were buying in the first place. I admit I didnt know the value attached to each size of stone. I have been rudely awakened to the whole thing. We are not the only people that have been shafted by this jeweller. We just want to make sure others dont make the same mistakes. We know now how to check our purchases and to be careful.There are so many people that dont know and we now want to help educate them so this doesnt happen to them.

Well done

It takes someone with principles, to risk everything to make a point.

I applaud you

danandmare

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
Yes taking a refund would be an easy answer, believe me the thought crossed our minds. But the problem with taking the refund is we would never be able to find an ring of similar size anywhere. That is the biggest reason we fought. The stone we have received is worth nearly 8000 we only paid 4450. We had no more money and this is why we took the deal. We only wanted what we were told we were supplied. This jeweller delibrately put the wrong characteristics on the advertisement and we got sucked in. We are just glad we had the strength in conviction to follow this through to get the stone we should of had in the first place. Plus this purchase was anything but a normal transaction. The huge emotional attachment was a huge part of this. This ring was paid for by my partners inheritance from her father. She feels that this ring was a part of her dad and even parting with it for a few seconds was an ordeal. Five weeks apart from it was pure hell. We dont have money to throw around I just wanted to have that one piece of jewellery to make her feel like a true princess. We live on one waqe and we have to scrimp to get any extras in our lives. This was hugely traumatic and yes we know we made mistakes,but all we want people to know is too not to make the same mistake in the future

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results