shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I need a spacer?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Just got my new e-ring (replacement for lost one, not newly engaged). Do you think I need a thin spacer? The girdles of the small sidestones on both rings can rub each other and the rings do spin. Not sure if I am going to get sizing beads put in as I want to see how they fit when it gets hot here in a few weeks before I decide...
Pic for reference:
DSC_8876.jpg

I was going to wear it with my grandmother's wedding band I have, but I think it is thicker than 1mm, gold (my set is platinum), I don't think the antique engraving on it goes with my more modern-style set, and most importantly it is a family heirloom that I don't want getting ruined by the diamonds either, as my sister might want to use it when she eventually gets married. Here's a pic with that one stacked:
photo_27.jpg

I think I would just get one from etsy in platinum to match my set. What do you think?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Ooooo, I think you do need a spacer. :D

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say if you are going to wear them together all the time then yes you should have a spacer. My 5 stone wedding band is almost identical to yours and it has really banged up my prongs on my on solitaire, so now I only wear them together when I go out somewhere, I do not wear a spacer as I have very short fingers and it would take up way to much space on my finger :(sad

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
well, there is no diamond/metal contact- the prongs and bars are not hitting any diamonds. It's the girdles of the diamonds from the 2 bands that can rub each other. Can they damage each other or is it just when you have diamond/metal contact there can be damage? My first e-ring had the 6 prong tiffany type head and there was significant prong damage because of the way the prongs were so prominent. Thankfullly on this setting the prongs do not hit any of the diamonds because the smaller diamond girdles keep a small space between the rings, except for where the girdles can hit each other.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nfowife|1305504755|2922642 said:
well, there is no diamond/metal contact- the prongs and bars are not hitting any diamonds. It's the girdles of the diamonds from the 2 bands that can rub each other. Can they damage each other or is it just when you have diamond/metal contact there can be damage? My first e-ring had the 6 prong tiffany type head and there was significant prong damage because of the way the prongs were so prominent. Thankfullly on this setting the prongs do not hit any of the diamonds because the smaller diamond girdles keep a small space between the rings, except for where the girdles can hit each other.
yes you do need a spacer.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Dancing Fire - Diamonds can and will eat each other up and chip one another without something to intervene. Get a small spacer from Etsy or even e-weddingbands.com (they have one at 1.5mm) plain, so you don't ruin your heirloom band. You can get a 14k spacer and no it doesn't matter about the metal because again its just a spacer anyways right?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
So.. I don't have to get platinum even though my set is platinum? That is interesting, and great!! Much cheaper!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would get a spacer. Your set is very pretty.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't wear them together again until you get a spacer. I'd probably get a thin platinum band just to have the consistency in color, but you don't have to...maybe 1.5mm or so.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need to get a spacer in order to prevent scratching and chipping of your diamonds. I like the first one posted- the small 1mm thin band- something like that really won't stand out and your set can still steal the show :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results