shape
carat
color
clarity

do diamonds lose sparkle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kong

Rough_Rock
Assuming you thoroughly clean it and there''s no major chipping, does a diamond lose sparkle and brilliance over the years? Does it lose its polish? Also, I was once told a diamond can chip and shatter but it can''t get scratched. Any truth to that?

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Short answer: no

Long answer:

Your diamond can only be scratched if it rubs against other diamonds, which for example, is possible if your wedding band is a poor fit and its diamonds rub against diamonds of your ering

(Diamonds can also be scratched by aggregated carbon nanotubes and other isomers of carbon - stuff you don''t encounter everyday)

In theory clarity can degrade over time. Large feathers are likely to worsen over time so... I guess an I1 can turn into an I2 after a decade. And at that level, light return might be affected by inclusions.

So conclusion: no, diamonds dont lose polish under normal circumstances, nor do they lose brilliance or "sparkle"

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In general, diamonds hold up pretty well over time. Most of the diamonds ever mined are still in circulation in one form or another. There are diamonds mined over a hundred years ago that still look exactly like they did when the cutter finished working. That said, it is possible to chip them with just the right impact and it’s not all that unusual over a lifetime (or a few lifetimes) of constant wear for a stone to have a few nicks to show for it.

Scratching a diamond is difficult, but not impossible. It takes another diamond. People will often store jewelry in a bag or box together and this leaves an opportunity for diamonds to come in contact with one another. When you’re not wearing it, store your diamonds in separate compartments from each other and you should have no trouble.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/1/2007 1:11:19 AM
Author: echelon6
Short answer: no

Long answer:

Your diamond can only be scratched if it rubs against other diamonds, which for example, is possible if your wedding band is a poor fit and its diamonds rub against diamonds of your ering

(Diamonds can also be scratched by aggregated carbon nanotubes and other isomers of carbon - stuff you don''t encounter everyday)

In theory clarity can degrade over time. Large feathers are likely to worsen over time so... I guess an I1 can turn into an I2 after a decade. And at that level, light return might be affected by inclusions.

So conclusion: no, diamonds dont lose polish under normal circumstances, nor do they lose brilliance or ''sparkle''
Echelon you are falling into the trap of a little bit of knowledge makes you dangerous.

The most common examples of diamonds loosing their polish is when a very high ring is worn next to another ring and the 2 diamonds can rub together.
Also clapping with diamond rings on each hand and the diamonds can be on the inside of the hand.
Finally I have seen bands like shared prongs where the diamonds have rubbed on the pavilion of a high open 4 prong setting.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 11:40:25 PM
Author:kong
Assuming you thoroughly clean it and there's no major chipping, does a diamond lose sparkle and brilliance over the years? Does it lose its polish? Also, I was once told a diamond can chip and shatter but it can't get scratched. Any truth to that?
Just wanted to reinforce the above. The ladies I know who lightly clean their diamonds each day and thoroughly clean each week have the most sparkle and effervescence.
emcocktl.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
AND - what you think my be a cleaning may NOT be getting the stone clean...some mineral deposits can require extreme measures...read that professional treatment, like boiling the loose stone in acid. Extreme, but effective.
emdgust.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that regular cleaning is key! A business associate and I had lunch the other day. I had told him not to buy his gf a diamond without doing some research...or at least running it by me so I could check some things on PS. He asked me, "Does your diamond ever look cloudy? Ever time I see it it''s so sparkly." I didn''t comment on his fiancee''s ring because I haven''t seen it in person, and just shrugged and said I clean it almost every day.
1.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 10:53:57 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 7/31/2007 11:40:25 PM
Author:kong
Assuming you thoroughly clean it and there''s no major chipping, does a diamond lose sparkle and brilliance over the years? Does it lose its polish? Also, I was once told a diamond can chip and shatter but it can''t get scratched. Any truth to that?
Just wanted to reinforce the above. The ladies I know who lightly clean their diamonds each day and thoroughly clean each week have the most sparkle and effervescence.
emcocktl.gif
John...what do you consider "light" daily cleaning and a thorough weekly cleaning? As a proud member of the OCD club, I want to get this right
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 2:34:20 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
AND - what you think my be a cleaning may NOT be getting the stone clean...some mineral deposits can require extreme measures...read that professional treatment, like boiling the loose stone in acid. Extreme, but effective.
emdgust.gif
This happened with a friend of mine just recently they have very mineral laden water and the diamond ring was ~15 years old and looked a lot more colored than a similar graded stone they compared it too.(both GIA graded), ultrasound and steam didn''t even begin to clean it so they had it boiled when they got a new setting for it(cut 2 prongs with a knife in a accident) and it came back to being sparkly and colorless.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
John...look up two posts ^^^ to see my question
1.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I would like to know about cleaning as well. Especially for micropave (I hope to get the Ritani Endless Love halo one day).

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 7:52:13 PM
Author: risingsun
John...look up two posts ^^^ to see my question
1.gif

Got it now risingsun. Thanks. Daily & weekly...

There are plenty of strategies.Most involve simple but regular maintenance.Lotions, soaps and even skin oils create a film and attract dirt, so your jewelry gets soiled to some degree every time you wear it. To reduce this, apply hair spray & perfume before you put jewelry on, so it’s not exposed to those chemicals or film.

Daily:A spray-on jewelry cleaner and tiny brush at the end of each day is a good start.The most important but least convenient place to clean each day is the pavilion, which is closest to the evil lotions and sweat (err, I mean glow
2.gif
) the diamond sees all day.Rinse and dry with a clean, soft cloth, preferably chamois or microfiber (
available here).

Weekly:A popular solution is an ultrasonic cleaner.The people who own them swear by them (Angela packs hers for camping trips) and they clean stones where brushes can’t reach.They‘re not suitable for pearls or fragile stones like emeralds, opal, amber, etc., so be sure to know what should go in one.Also, be aware that excessive use of an ultrasonic cleaner on pieces with tiny diamonds can eventually loosen them.

For those who prefer not to use the ultrasonic - warm water mixed with mild dishwashing detergent is tried and true.Allow the piece to soak for 10 minutes then use a tiny, soft brush to scrub away particles, especially underneath.Rinse and dry with your clean soft cloth. Ammonia and water can be effective too, but it’s not safe for all stones/pearls so be careful.

That is what works for the ladies with whom I choose to associate.I’m sure others may have good suggestions – and
here is a long thread by PS members who have a black belt in this stuff.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, John
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results