shape
carat
color
clarity

Do diamonds go dark in certain lights?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
So My bf and I went diamond shopping several times now at some B&M stores and at Tiffany''s (don''t make fun, it''s my favorite jewelry store). Anyhow, in the B&M, we were looking at 1.5-1.7 ct loose diamonds that were H and VS1-S1 and they looked gorgoeous and eyeclean and super sparkley in most lights, but in some lights, especially under their lights that are over the showcase, they just went dark. LIke the sparkles went into hiding and the light turned off in the diamond. It was like a shadow, does that make sense? I thought, maybe it''s the cut, I don''t know any specs, they didn''t show us the GIA or AGS or anything. Well, then we went to Tiffany''s where the SA had gotten a D VVS1 1ct ornate legacy and in the store light, that diamond looked shadowed too!!!. I mean, to the point, where I put the ring right back, it looked that bad. It was like the diamond was dead, but when you hold it close, you can see that it''s a VERY white diamond with no "flaws". (Their Novo on the other hand........we can''t get into that, let me just say I''m in love! sparkles in every light)

Anyhow, my questions is, are these just poorly cut diamonds? I thought tiffany was suppose to have the best cuts (but I guess there is no "best" cut for a patented cushion right). Or, do all diamonds do this in certain light? The only diamonds I have now are too small to tell if they have this characteristic too. MAybe I''m just too picky???
Thanks

Rose

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I believe certain lights make diamonds sparkle a lot and some don''t.

i.e. when I am in the supermarket or barnes and nobles, my ring goes nuts with the fire.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Ideal cut rounds do go dark in certain types of lighting, like in direct sunlight or directly under very bright halogens. In most lights they sparkle like crazy, but there are a few that make them go dark and firey instead of bright and brilliant.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 11:13:45 PM
Author: Kelli
Ideal cut rounds do go dark in certain types of lighting, like in direct sunlight or directly under very bright halogens. In most lights they sparkle like crazy, but there are a few that make them go dark and firey instead of bright and brilliant.
Ditto, this is normal.

Rose-E

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Skippy123, Daisi2112, kelli and Lorelei. That really helps! Guess I''m not going crazy afterall.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
If a diamond doesn''t jump at you or looks lifeless, that''s the one you shd avoid even if it is GIA-certified D/IF. Your stone will ''yell at you, sing at you, wink at you.'' And when you go to sleep at night you''d be thinking of that very stone. From that point on, every other stone seems to pale in comparison. Now THAT''s the one you have to get!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results