shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about lighting upon diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds look more sparklier and show more colour flashes under bathroom type lighting than they do in daylight. Why is this, is bathroom lighting brighter or is it another more complicated reason?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea what kind of lighting there is in your bathroom !

Any crystal chandeleer around? Bar spot halogens, those are the way to light up diamonds.
2.gif

Do you have a copy of the Gem Adviser? If not, there is a free one with an emerald model. It''s fun to play with the proportions of the cut and the different lighting models built in. IMO, no single type of cut works best for all which somehow flies right in the face of reason. Surprising behavior for a mathematical model
34.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Cut Nut and valeria101.

There are spot lights in the bathroom.

The reason I asked is because today I looking at a diamond ring at the window, bright day , and could see the polish on the inside of the mount shining through the diamond. This is a cheap cast mount with rough polish on the inside of the basket.

Looking at this same ring in the bathroom, although the stone sparkles way more, more firey colour, I cannot see the reflections of the mount in the stone.

I thought the lighting was brighter in the bathroom as the stone was very sparkly which it was not much during daylight but yet the mount looks duller.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would the gold mount reflect in the diamond in sunny daylight but not inside the house?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No only a small mirror but not near where I was standing.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cloudy day lighting (or north light through large windows) is how diamond experts typically graded diamonds because you can look into the stone and also you can clearly see colour differences Pyramid.

It is almost impossible to clarity grade a diamond in a jewellery store with spot lights.

(It is nice to be able to spell properly when writting to a POM
34.gif
)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
I''m assuming a bright light source as Garry has discussed.
What color are the walls/shower curtain/surroundings?
What were you wearing?

All of this can impact what you observe.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I am seeing the reflections in daylight not in the bathroom. The daylight was a bit sunny but not much in December.

I will have to get out my pom pom hat and scarf Garry
33.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way I believe it is reflections from the mounting not reflections from inclusions. I think the bright sunny light shows them in the diamond whereas as Garry said the spotlight brings out the fire of the diamond and therefore covers up any reflections if there are any caused by the bathroom light.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was not trying to guess the clarity of the diamond but was wondering about the reflections of the gold basket in the stone.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2004 3:50:41 PM
Author: pyramid
By the way I believe it is reflections from the mounting not reflections from inclusions. I think the bright sunny light shows them in the diamond whereas as Garry said the spotlight brings out the fire of the diamond and therefore covers up any reflections if there are any caused by the bathroom light.
I think more DCLR (fire) could certainly be the reason. The contrast and colors observed are influenced by the diamond''s entire panorama of illumination, including light source(s), surrounding colors, observer, what the observer is wearing etc.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you JohnQuixote. So are you saying that the colours from the bathroom lighting is stopping me from seeing the reflections of the setting that I can see when I look at the window? Should settings reflect within a diamond anyway?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2004 8:45:30 PM
Author: pyramid
Thank you JohnQuixote. So are you saying that the colours from the bathroom lighting is stopping me from seeing the reflections of the setting that I can see when I look at the window? Should settings reflect within a diamond anyway?
From what you have described it sounds likely. It''s possible to see a reflection of the setting, and with increased DCLR the reflection might not be visible.

For fun, view it by candlelight and see what you notice.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you JohnQuixote

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results