shape
carat
color
clarity

Do date only one "Type"?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just saw an facebook update from one of my friend's ex-husband, and he's dating a girl that is so similar in looks to my friend that I thought...."hmm, he must REALLY love that type of girl". My friend is super slim and athletic, always has in workout clothes, and always has her curly brown hair in a pony-tail. The new girlfriend has the same look based on multiple photos. In fact they could pass for sisters!

Anyway, I thought that was interesting....all my exes looked very different. Dark, fair, tall, short, straight hair, wavy hair. The only think in common is that they're all super-brainiacs.

Do you guys have a certain "type"?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Mine were all over the map! Literally and figuratively. Blond, dark, slim, medium (nobody fat). They all had a good sense of humor, though, and intelligence. Some extroverted, some kind of self-contained. Gosh, I had BFs who were American, Puerto Rican, Colombian, Japanese, British, Italian. From a Naval Academy midshipman to a Colombian millionaire, an astrophysicist to the VP of a major clothing company. Ended up marrying a Dutchman without the millions!

Had a wonderful time, great memories of each BF & it does widen the horizons.

--- Laurie

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha people who date one type so specifically like that kind of creep me out! I have a particular type I find the most attractive, but you wouldn't really know it by looking at who I dated. You would know it by looking at who I married though! :cheeky: He's 100% the type I like the most. :naughty:

ETA I didn't say what the type was, though! I like men with blue eyes and dark hair, kind of pale skin, 5 o'clock shadow, around the same height as me, and a somewhat muscular build. Oh and super handsome. :cheeky:

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I sort of have a type, but the guys I've dated have all looked very different.

Ex-bf started dating a new girl after me and our mutual friends got to meet her - apparently she looked exactly like me :errrr: I was a little creeped out by that (btw, he's the one who ended things).

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I date similar personality types, but not really the same physical type. But I definitely *have* a type - tall, dark hair/eyes, athletic....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No type here - I'd say that I've managed to cover the spectrum pretty spectacularly. People who have a very strong type physically - not just in terms of abstract aesthetic preference, but in terms of actual dating - actually kind of creep me out. I always feel like it's an indicator that looks matter more to them than anything else, and they're just waiting for somebody who fits the mold AND who has an acceptable personality - never mind all the awesome people who're just a few degrees off whom they might pass up.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Well, my ex doesn't follow my "type" which is a strong physique country guy lol. But I was a different person then. I like really piercing eyes though I know that.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I also ran into his sister's ex boyfriend once, and he was with a girl that looked JUST like my husband's sis ( Bleached Blond Asian girl) go figure! I thought my sister-in-law was a one of a kind.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have a type, I don't think. The only thing they probably have in common is that they have to be amusing, but that's about it. I'm sure if I thought about it more, I could figure out that I do have SOME sort of type, but my dating past is pretty limited.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't really thought about it but I guess I do have a type. I tend to date the Irish look - dark hair, light eyes, light skin. Its not what I pay much attention to when I first meet a guy but that's what I end up dating. It also depends on whether they are attracted to me. I always tend to attract tall guys which is a little problematic because I am 4'11" but that has never stopped me for dating them. If I were picking a type, I'd like a shorter guy but I'm not going to go around dating guys just because they are a comfortable height. :bigsmile:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my ex's are tall and dark haired and blue eyed, as is my husband, so I guess I do go for a certain type. I was on facebook the other day and I have a 25 year old son and he has quite a few ex's lol and needless to say I am "friends" with them and this one girl he was dating has a picture of her new boyfriend on there and I had to do a double take because he looked so much like my son :wink2:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a couple of types to which I'm really attracted, but I turned out to be an equal opportunity dater--none of them really looked the same! :cheeky:

As for my physical types:
I: Think Eric Bana in Munich. :lickout: RAWR.
2: Think soccer player--smallish, athletic, agile, and I like 'em dark.

My husband has a soccer player build and dark hair and eyes. The last guy I dated before him was a tall Italian man. My college/post college relationship (and failed engagement) was with a half Mexican, half Pakistani man, so a very different look! My high school boyfriend was 5'10", slim and athletic, with blue eyes and blonde hair. So, in reality I go for all types.

And I have to agree with Thing--her hubby IS super handsome. :cheeky: Quite the beautiful couple, you are.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I met DH while I was still in hs so I don't have a lot of experience. But, yes, I definitely have a type. Tall, dark, lumberjack. :love: DH's type is boobs. I don't think the rest of it even matters to him!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
My ex is dating a girl that looks like me. She actually looks like she could be our daughter, which is sort of creepy.

I don't have a physical type, but I keep dating lawyers and law students; Gah!! My HS sweetheart is a lawyer now, my ex-FI dropped out of pre-law, my ex is a 3L, my bf is a 2L... I keep telling BF I am going to leave him for an investment banker the second we get to NYC.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven't had a big dating past, so I'm only thinking about my husband and 2 other guys. I don't think I have a type, but these guys definitely have similarities. They are all similar in personality type, although my husband is actually the quietest/most reserved. They actually sort of resemble each other too, now that I think about it. All are tall and they wear glasses, and they all have a reddish tint to their hair color. I think that's just a coincidence though.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1304546303|2912373 said:
There are a couple of types to which I'm really attracted, but I turned out to be an equal opportunity dater--none of them really looked the same! :cheeky:

As for my physical types:
I: Think Eric Bana in Munich. :lickout: RAWR.
2: Think soccer player--smallish, athletic, agile, and I like 'em dark.

My husband has a soccer player build and dark hair and eyes. The last guy I dated before him was a tall Italian man. My college/post college relationship (and failed engagement) was with a half Mexican, half Pakistani man, so a very different look! My high school boyfriend was 5'10", slim and athletic, with blue eyes and blonde hair. So, in reality I go for all types.

And I have to agree with Thing--her hubby IS super handsome. :cheeky: Quite the beautiful couple, you are.

Aw, thanks Haven! You and your hot hubby aren't too bad yourselves! :cheeky:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I remember once my husband's brother showed up, maybe a year after I'd moved in with him but long before we'd married, with a clone of *me*. Everything. It was like he went down a checklist of things that were superficially like me- same sorts of hobbies at the time, same fairly unusual type of hair (very thick, long, black and curly), very pale skin and dark eyes. It was a little weird. Flattering, but weird. Since he'd basically gone with the most shallow similarites like physical looks and specific hobbies but ignored a lot of really important other things- like personality- she was totally scary and the whole relationship crashed and burned quick.

After that he went back to his usual five foot tall blonde/blue eyed jailbait type. He has a very, very specific physical look he dates. (And indeed his wife fit that to the T.)

As for myself, I don't really have a type.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
suchende|1304546731|2912382 said:
My ex is dating a girl that looks like me. She actually looks like she could be our daughter, which is sort of creepy.

Oooh aahh, yeah. That must have startled you.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1304554731|2912515 said:
suchende|1304546731|2912382 said:

Oooh aahh, yeah. That must have startled you.
To clarify, I mean a hypothetical daughter. I don't have a daughter.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My type has been and always will be the same. Smart, funny, kind, generous and sexy. Physically I was always all over the place with the guys I dated and never had a preference. It was always the personality that attracted me.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I've had a couple of exes that ended up with girls that look eerily similar to me.....

One obsessed "stalker" guy from my college days actually ended up with someone that looked like me AND had the same name.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I never realized how much my exes all looked alike until I had them all as 'friends' in my facebook :-o

I still like tall, dark haired, strong men but I have FINALLY stopped dating LOSERS! My husband might look like some of my exes but his personality is NOTHING like them. I finally figured out that to get a "good guy", I needed to do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I had been doing. It worked! I have never been happier :D

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I didn't...but many years ago I was in a relationship with guy who had just broken up with a LT girlfriend. I never saw pictures of her, only knew her name. A few years later my friend bumped into him with a lady and he introduced her as his wife. She had the same obscure name as the ex-girlfriend so guess they got married after all. My friend call me and told me his wife could have passed as my twin. We ended up FBing him, and yes the similarities were totally there. We both have shorter dark, thick hair, tan skin, big brown eyes, short, curvy. Obviously he had a type!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently I do.

I have have three important relationships in my life, including my husband.

All three men were oldest sons in families of all boys. All three came from intact families (I am a child of divorce), all three were more conservative than me, were from wealthier families than me, all three had full lips.

And my husband has the same name as one of the other two :o

ETA: My husband has a *very* particular physical type. He likes women who are full figured or curvy, like Nigella Lawson when she is a little on the plump side ;)) . Big boobs and big bums :rodent: . I can be in any room and point out exactly the woman he will find the most attractive.

Research suggests men are more likely than women to have a particular type.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1304537775|2912266 said:
I just saw an facebook update from one of my friend's ex-husband, and he's dating a girl that is so similar in looks to my friend that I thought...."hmm, he must REALLY love that type of girl". My friend is super slim and athletic, always has in workout clothes, and always has her curly brown hair in a pony-tail. The new girlfriend has the same look based on multiple photos. In fact they could pass for sisters!

Anyway, I thought that was interesting....all my exes looked very different. Dark, fair, tall, short, straight hair, wavy hair. The only think in common is that they're all super-brainiacs.

Do you guys have a certain "type"?

Same here. Don't really care much about the physical package but I do care about intelligence. I tried to date a stupid boy once but it didn't end very well. Today he is married to someone who looks eerily like me - short, chubby, very busty - but they're a much better 'fit' than he and I ever were.

My mother's baby brother definitely has a type. Several years ago I went on holiday to my home town and he sent her to meet me at the airport. I walked out and despite the crowd, I spotted her immediately. She was flabbergasted!

I've known her for several years now and I still haven't had the courage to tell her she looks exactly like his last two wives.

Oops.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1304572512|2912758 said:
Apparently I do.

All three came from intact families (I am a child of divorce), all three were more conservative than me, were from wealthier families than me.

Oh, crap! After reading this, apparently I do, too!

I've never seriously dated someone whose parents aren't together. I once dated a boy whose parents split up and a few months later we split up, too. :o I hope there wasn't some sort of connection! :errrr:

Sam121

Rough_Rock
princesss|1304538761|2912286 said:
I date similar personality types, but not really the same physical type.

ditto. I don't have a 'physical' type but I do have a 'personality type' that I date – I tend to be drawn to very ambitious, driven men who are successful in their careers. And of course if he looks like Rob Lowe I wouldn't mind, but hey, how often does that happen: hot, single, successful and straight? :naughty:

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Sam121|1304577048|2912786 said:
princesss|1304538761|2912286 said:
I date similar personality types, but not really the same physical type.

ditto. I don't have a 'physical' type but I do have a 'personality type' that I date – I tend to be drawn to very ambitious, driven men who are successful in their careers. And of course if he looks like Rob Lowe I wouldn't mind, but hey, how often does that happen: hot, single, successful and straight? :naughty:
I have dated two law students who snagged jobs at one of the 5 most "prestigious" law firm while dating me. I had no reason to think they would when I started dating them, it just worked out that way, but now my law student friends tease me about wanting to be next in line when recruiting season rolls around.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lbbaber|1304559525|2912609 said:
I never realized how much my exes all looked alike until I had them all as 'friends' in my facebook :-o

I still like tall, dark haired, strong men but I have FINALLY stopped dating LOSERS! My husband might look like some of my exes but his personality is NOTHING like them. I finally figured out that to get a "good guy", I needed to do the EXACT OPPOSITE of what I had been doing. It worked! I have never been happier :D

Yeah, um. Wow.

I definitely have a type - a physical type, obviously not so much what's on the inside because some of my exes were real a***s! They're all blond, blue eyed, tall and athletic but in the long, lanky, spindly soccer sense. Which is funny because I am anything but tall and fair 8)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't think I had a type! Apparently I did...I've chosen well and everything has worked out wonderfully...

My type is this:

2007_08_07clown.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results